• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 Beta Footage

After looking at more gameplay i am not sure if i like everything i see :/
Is it me or is your character unusual fast? i mean the "standard" knight can only midroll but it looks like he runs much faster than the even the lightest character in dark souls.. not to mention that the running animation looks bad and the footseps dont match the running speed which makes the running animation almost look like ice skating...

Urgh. This is why companies hesitate to do public testing. What about "six months until finished version" is hard to understand?

daniels

Urgh. This is why companies hesitate to do public testing. What about "six months until finished version" is hard to understand?

and here i thought getting some opinions, feedback and critique is normal in puplic testing ..silly me ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
GAME OF THE FOREVER!!!, INTO MY VEINSSS!!, I AM TRHOWING MONEY AT THE SCREEN NOTHING IS HAPPENING!!O_O Better?

krakov

This stuff is from a chinese video that appears to show areas yet to be shown on other videos:

- Monster black phantoms (alhtough the area had no regular enemies, so might be placeholders.

- Demon Souls style NPC Black Phantoms. Specifically I'm talking a big hulking knight with a tower shield and a sword the size of California.

- Flowing capes are a thing. And they look awesome.

edit:

The NPC black phantom was rocking hard the player... seems we're back to demon souls style npc black phantoms, no longer wimpy kirk or maneater freesouls mildred it appears.

Boss spoilers ahead:

After the NPC black phantom, there's a fog gate that leads to the chariot boss (first encounter if i understood what the devs said at e3). Remember the other boss encounter with skeleton wheels? Looks like boss adds are a thing now. The chariot boss has regenerating skeletons, Nito style.

Link please.

I played Dark Souls a couple hours today. Watching these videos, everything looks sped up... why the general increase in character movement speed? I don't like it. :(

feel

oh god, bonewheel bastards during a boss fight...
iEH8kiQKdXYaQ.gif

image.php

F YEAH

ElFly

Damn, if it's otherwise as good as it is in DaS, that's an amazing weapon right there. Prefer the greatsword over the zwei for this reason.

What nooooooo overheard smash is the only reason to use a Zwei! To crush your enemies with the fucking giant sword. (also see them driven before you etc etc).

You can stab after a roll.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I played Dark Souls a couple hours today. Watching these videos, everything looks sped up... why the general increase in character movement speed? I don't like it. :(

Ugh... you have me worried now. Might have to peek and see for myself.

Orayn

Ugh... you have me worried now. Might have to peek and see for myself.

Movement and dodging are quicker. Most people are reporting that attacks, with the exception of dual wielding, are actually a bit slower in the form of having more wind-up.

Evolved1

Movement and dodging are quicker. Most people are reporting that attacks, with the exception of dual wielding, are actually a bit slower in the form of having more wind-up.

I'm going to check out the vids myself. If they sped up player moment, that will be very disappointing.

Pretty much everything else was good news imo, but that might be one of those core gameplay things that could grate on me. We'll see.

vilmer_

I'm going to check out the vids myself. If they sped up player moment, that will be very disappointing.

Pretty much everything else was good news imo, but that might be one of those core gameplay things that could grate on me. We'll see.

Movement is much faster at the moment, as well as look speed. It's definitely noticeable. I can't say I'm a fan of it.

Orayn

Movement is much faster at the moment, as well as look speed. It's definitely noticeable. I can't say I'm a fan of it.

The implications might not be so bad in the context of the whole game, seeing as the world is supposed to be twice the size of Dark Souls.

Evolved1

I have trouble enjoying games where my character doesn't feel weighty and grounded in the world. It's why I can't get into most action games, or why I'm not liking FFXIV that I just bought, or most FPS. I get other people might think that's weird, but it is what it is.

I'm about to sit and watch these vids, so hopefully it won't be too bad. I'm not against change, but some things, you just don't what to see move in the wrong direction.

The early gameplay walkthroughs looked fine... I hope this wasn't a recent thing they decided to change for the worse.

I played Dark Souls 2 at Eurogamer Expo, nothing has sped up other than the framerate which was silky smooth and looked like 60fps to me.

Sullichin

What nooooooo overheard smash is the only reason to use a Zwei! To crush your enemies with the fucking giant sword. (also see them driven before you etc etc).

You can stab after a roll.
Yeah I know, I think the 1HR2 is really useful though, especially with the Leo Ring

The implications might not be so bad in the context of the whole game, seeing as the world is supposed to be twice the size of Dark Souls.

Really? Last I read they were supposed to be about the same size.

and here i thought getting some opinions, feedback and critique is normal in puplic testing ..silly me ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
GAME OF THE FOREVER!!!, INTO MY VEINSSS!!, I AM TRHOWING MONEY AT THE SCREEN NOTHING IS HAPPENING!!O_O Better?

No, but nitpicking character speeds (when it has been established that there's a new stat that may affect it) and animations is a bit premature. Especially if you're judging from videos.

Also, no offense to you specifically, yours was just the latest thing I was annoyed by. I e:

camera looked like it was resetting when the dude was walking up the hill (vid 1). kinda like it was working against him....

hrm....

Dunno how I feel about the O instead of X for stuff after that being the controls for messages and stuff since Demon's Souls.

Etc.

Been playing through Demon's Souls again lately, and man, I really hope they throw in some more easter eggs this time. Patches wasn't enough......

vilmer_

I played Dark Souls 2 at Eurogamer Expo, nothing has sped up other than the framerate which was silky smooth and looked like 60fps to me.

Straight from the source that's good to hear! I wonder if it's just because these videos all seem to have controller sensitivity cranked.

Soriku

Did they showcase the console or PC version? Console version is only 30 FPS.

Really? Last I read they were supposed to be about the same size.

It's twice.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/17/3...-be-more-accessible-for-series-newcomers-will

Dark Souls 2 has been in development since September 2011 and is roughly twice the size of Dark Souls.

Hmm looks pretty speedy to me considiering that this is midd roll weight..
www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-2DYBU4aaXA#t=4m40s

I played the knight? class I think. Basically who F-KenG was playing in that video the movement for him looks about what I was playing. It's possible the movement speed is a bit faster although the higher frame rate definitely made the game seem smoother possibly seem a bit faster?

All I know is I wasn't quick enough to not get smashed repeatedly by the mirror knight. Very nearly beat him but died when he had a tiny slither of health, it was odd to have my defeat coupled with the groans of 10 people watching behind. I felt I had let my brethren down.

Did they showcase the console or PC version? Console version is only 30 FPS.

I played the PS3 version, I swear the framerate was unlocked. Did not seem 30 to me. Edit it may not have been 60fps but it seemed higher than 30.

Dyno

Watched the first OP video. Yup that's some Dark Souls goodness! I'm all aboard. See ya in March! Woo Hoooooooooooooooo!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Edit: Whoa. I kept getting timeout errors and was sure it wasn't going through... so I hit refresh. Then bam, four posts. Sorry about the clusterfuck. xD

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
After reading all those item descriptions i'm convinced that
The story takes place in the Age of Dark/Men, many years after the events of DaS

popyea

Its already been answered, but From essentially doubled the staff on their level design team.

This game is going to be huge.

I've heard Tanimura say multiple times that the game will be of a similar size though. And level designers aren't numerous like artists and programmers, so doubling their number isn't the huge increase you're probably imagining.

RK9039

As we already know there are no longer invincible frames, getting interrupted during back stabs is now possible. But it looks like rolling is also considered a "special action" because I just noticed a player taking damage from a black phantom NPC even though he rolled back just as the NPC swung his weapon at him, as you would typically.

Just throwing it out there, I think it's a great change. It might be beta thing though.

Hypron

Boss battles look really tough! Have a feeling that people will complain about insane difficulty.

Hehehe let them complain, having tougher bosses is awesome!

And here people thought the game would become easier, some were even worried it would have cinematic set pieces and QTEs :lol

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
but i would have liked to see them change the formula again. The changes from DeSo to DaSo where refreshing, i have a feeling of been there done that seeing these new videos.

While i hate DIII system, in a loot based game, it would work very well in Dark Souls i think. It's a skill based actiongame more or less, why should i be thinking about stat points? If i find a nice big zweihänder let me change my char and playing style according to this new equipment, if i find a nice rapier let me use it without thinking i should restart the game and pump all points in Dex.

Soriku

I've heard Tanimura say multiple times that the game will be of a similar size though. And level designers aren't numerous like artists and programmers, so doubling their number isn't the huge increase you're probably imagining.

Where?

I can imagine some people being turned off by invaders being able to use flasks, but really it's no different from popping humanity. I think the timer for invasions is a genius idea. Force invaders to be aggressive since there's no time for dicking around. Host should always have an edge in such matters.

Top Bottom