• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 Beta Footage

the walking animation is of a female character and it's pretty much the same as in dark souls. As for that super dark gif of the cloaked character, He is holding up a shield which may account for the "strange" way his legs are moving up and down and forward.

I'm not concerned about walking animations in the least. The latest gifs much better when it comes to the "skating" issue.

Parsnip

the walking animation is of a female character and it's pretty much the same as in dark souls.
I've seen other people say this, but I'm not quite convinced. I started a lady character in DaS a while ago and none of it looks as goofy as some of these videos do.

For some reason the run animation reminded me of the Saints Row series streak run animation.

But it's 6 months away, so I'm not actually worried.

So excited about the black phantoms.

I truly feel sorry for anyone who didn't get to experience them in Dark Souls. They change the dynamic completely of every level.

We need more unique black phantoms. Demons souls had plenty that weren't simply copies of regular enemies in black phantom form. It looks like DkS 2 is bringing it back. Its looking in fact like DkS 2 has more in common with DeS than DkS from a mechanic stand point.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
How do you guys feel about the new HP/MP consumables? I really like how Dark Souls was structured; you had a fixed amount of resources to get through each gauntlet. I could be ok with HP, since it's an incredibly slow heal and flasks were nerfed. I don't think I agree with MP. You would no longer need extra attunement slots for each spell to get more casts of it. I can see not farming MP consumables to be a great detriment to PvE and unstructured PvP.

How do you guys feel about the new HP/MP consumables? I really like how Dark Souls was structured; you had a fixed amount of resources to get through each gauntlet. I could be ok with HP, since it's an incredibly slow heal and flasks were nerfed. I don't think I agree with MP. You would no longer need extra attunement slots for each spell to get more casts of it. I can see not farming MP consumables to be a great detriment to PvE and unstructured PvP.

Can't really rely on them for a quick mid fight heal anymore though. It's been said they regenerate health much slower than before. If you try and take a swig you'll probably be putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Can't really rely on them for a quick mid fight heal anymore though. It's been said they regenerate health much slower than before. If you try and take a swig you'll probably be putting yourself at a disadvantage.
Yeah, I mentioned that. That's why I could possibly overlook the HP consumables. MP seems to be a problem though.

Fine with me. If you're allowed to replenish HP, then you should be able to replenish magic casts. Otherwise it really limits your abilities as a mage/pyro.

The less points I have to waste on attunement, the better. That you had to "stack" spells in Dark Souls always seemed like a design flaw. Casters should be focusing on their magic stats, not attunement.

nbthedude

Wait, so you buy heal items now?

Dresden

Fine with me. If you're allowed to replenish HP, then you should be able to replenish magic casts. Otherwise it really limits your abilities as a mage/pyro.

The less points I have to waste on attunement, the better. That you had to "stack" spells in Dark Souls always seemed like a design flaw. Casters should be focusing on their magic stats, not attunement.

That kinda throws off the entire balance between power and supply.

Facism

What exactly are Black Phantoms? Are they the red NPCs a la Mildred and Kirk?

yes. In Demon's Souls you came across black phantom versions of regular enemies in the game. Some based on World Tendency, some not.

It's something i missed in Dark Souls.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
From the Dark Souls JP website:
gameguide_operation01.jpg

The top-left icon does indeed represents a Covenant Icon.

yes. In Demon's Souls you came across black phantom versions of regular enemies in the game. Some based on World Tendency, some not.

It's something i missed in Dark Souls.

Righteo! Cheers. So, they were just more frequent and deadly? I'm totally cool with that.

Soriku

Righteo! Cheers. So, they were just more frequent and deadly? I'm totally cool with that.

They're just buffed up versions of regular enemies. More HP and more damage. Then there are also black phantom versions of a few NPCs, which are immediately hostile. They're also stronger than the regular versions of those NPCs.

Some BPs are really dangerous. The most dangerous one I've found in Demon's was the BP dual katana skeleton (found on black world tendency in 4-2). I thought the regular one was annoying but the BP version is way worse. He was able to kill me in just a single swipe.

Luckily when I fought him I had the Second Chance miracle (revives you once if you die) on. You can use Second Chance again if you die (so long as you have the MP, and you can use MP restoring items if you don't) but it's still a struggle to find an opening to use items and the miracle before he hits you one more time and kills you. After doing this repeatedly I figured he was becoming too dangerous to fight with melee and I managed to lure him way back and kill him with arrows.

People were bringing up BP Satsuki earlier...dual katana skeleton would eat his lunch if they fought. Satsuki is only really annoying because of his healing, otherwise he's not too bad.

Akainu

I didn't like the way magic worked in Dark Souls. I don't much care for it being tied to stamina.

I hate the new saving icon.

I've heard from a few sources that your attack's direction is dependent on which way you're pushing on the stick even when you're locked on. Something that'll surely fuck us up a bit if true. I've seen what looks like it happening a few times in a few of the beta vids like the one you mentioned, but it is yet to be confirmed by a truly reliable source as of yet.

EDIT: So theoretically if you're locked onto someone and hit attack while backing away, you'd attack behind you instead of towards your locked on target. If this is indeed true I wonder if you can bend your attack mid swing if it has an extra long/slow animation.

daniels

hmm could end up good or bad.. there are some bosses in dark souls that put you in serious disadvantage if you use lock on to attack like the centipede demon.

Zaventem

If you continue to strafe left or right and/or roll left/right and press the attack button while still moving that's the direction you'll hit. That's why he kept missing,it's not a bug. Something that's we'll have to re-adapt to.
In Dark Souls a roll+ attack or any attack swing for that matter when locked on will automatically target who you're locked on too when moving left or right. That's no longer the case, you have to manually change your direction quickly to your target after a rolling attack in Dark Souls 2. My guess it's also a pvp balance change?

I've heard from a few sources that your attack's direction is dependent on which way you're pushing on the stick even when you're locked on. Something that'll surely fuck us up a bit if true. I've seen what looks like it happening a few times in a few of the beta vids like the one you mentioned, but it is yet to be confirmed by a truly reliable source as of yet.

EDIT: So theoretically if you're locked onto someone and hit attack while backing away, you'd attack behind you instead of towards your locked on target. If this is indeed true I wonder if you can bend your attack mid swing if it has an extra long/slow animation.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-18-dark-souls-2-preview

You're right. It's also mentioned here in this eurogamer article.

I can't believe there's still 6 months to go. My heart weeps, but my brain salivates at how polished and fucking amazing the final product will be.

Orayn

I kind of like the changes to lock-on. Turning it into strictly a camera thing with no bearing on your facing goes a long way toward making the game more skill-oriented and makes it so that you can't solve all your problems with circle strafing and backstab fishing.

Nutter

Being able to invade anyone at anytime, should be balanced out by having invaders also agro enemies. I know it did not work that way in previous games, but at this point, there are basically next to no negatives for the invaders.

Zaventem

Being able to invade anyone at anytime, should be balanced out by having invaders also agro enemies. I know it did not work that way in previous games, but at this point, there are basically next to no negatives for the invaders.

There is something to stop invaders though i can't find the link atm unfortunately.

daniels

I kind of like the changes to lock-on. Turning it into strictly a camera thing with no bearing on your facing goes a long way toward making the game more skill-oriented and makes it so that you can't solve all your problems with circle strafing and backstab fishing.

but it goes yet another step into making magic/pyro/miracle even more overpowerd...
In dark souls all you needet was 40 int and some att and you are set for everything NG7 and even in pvp you have some really nasty shit like Tranquil Walk of Peace+dark bead,Pursuers not to mention the damage output is higher than anything else.
Magic needs a serious nerf in almost every regard (dmg!!!, casting speed, nummber of casts) and not MP consumables and lock on advantage.. I really hope they get it right this time.. The third time is the charm right? :)

There were no negatives to invading before, they want people to invade, it's an online game and this one looks more PvP than ever. Yay!

I know about the changing direction whilst locking on stuff, but here he actually breaks lock because you see it go off and come back on again as he retreats.

UrbanRats

Some of us already had an hard time with DkS man!

Dresden

Lock-on changes should also make it easier to deal with multiple enemies, or attacks coming from the side or back. I'm sure we'll get used to it fast.

Lock-on changes should also make it easier to deal with multiple enemies, or attacks coming from the side or back. I'm sure we'll get used to it fast.

Yup fighting two enemies in DkS was notoriously hard as one could easily come behind you and backstab. Probably could do what some have been doing with weapons like the claymore and attack in the opposite direction to which your character us facing while using lock on.

You could even intercept rolls if you anticipate the direction they are going to roll.

I thought I'd go into DS2 blind, but this is seeming more and more laughable as I scour every thread like this for more details on it. I really want to have it now so I don't spoil everything for myself...

Top Bottom