• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 Beta Footage

Eusis

Well, movement didn't feel as good as in Dark Souls, somewhat jerky... kind of like a lot of modern AAA 3D games actually. I need to give Dark Souls another spin, but if I'm right just why does this keep cropping up in games? It feels more like a control regression than a progression, does it just come off as "more realistic" to people or some crap?

Kieli

Dark Souls wasn't even a real "sequel".

Come on man, "giving Miyazaki the boot"? Did you not think he maybe chose to step down in order to concentrate on something for next-gen? Maybe he wasn't totally enamoured with the direction NB wanted to take the series and settled for an advisory role.

From's games are some of the only ones I've been passionate about as of late, and I hate seeing know-it-all posts like this thrown around going off of something some guy said...

Actually, I'm going to refute this point. I forget which interview (I'll try and find it this weekend, when I have time), but Miyazaki expressed his disappointment at not being able to helm the next Souls project.

Robot Pants

Actually, I'm going to refute this point. I forget which interview (I'll try and find it this weekend, when I have time), but Miyazaki expressed his disappointment at not being able to helm the next Souls project.
Yea this is correct. He wanted to stay in his position but Namco forced him out.
It shows.

Playing it makes that even more true.
They changed A LOT. In my short time, I didn't enjoy it like I thought I would.
Sound effects are really weak, colors are rather dull, in my opinion the graphics AREN'T better. At all. I don't know how anyone can say they are.

Still a lot left to see, but this is my initial impression.

Ha. That is probably the closest to an "objectively wrong opinion" that I've read. Going on the Mirror Knight demo I played at the EB Expo, not only are they a significant step up from DS1, they're just plain impressive for a current gen game. The new lighting engine and cloth physics alone elevate it above DS1 in terms of technical superiority. As long as they keep the motion blur and distance blur flowing heavily into my eyeballs, I'm more than happy with the improvements.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Yea this is correct. He wanted to stay in his position but Namco forced him out.
It shows.

Which begs the question: the game's not going to be a mainstreamed abomination - it actually looks like it will be even harder. So unless they got scared by the backlash and changed direction, what was the purpose of forcing someone else into the director position?

Clevinger

Which begs the question: the game's not going to be a mainstreamed abomination - it actually looks like it will be even harder. So unless they got scared by the backlash and changed direction, what was the purpose of forcing someone else into the director position?

If Miyazaki is capable of making two new profitable IPs for them, why not have him work on another new IP and have someone else continue the already proven brand? Makes sense to me from a business direction. Unless Miyazaki's new game isn't published by Namco.

The other possibility was the initial plan was to mainstream the game with that second director's influence, but after his interview backlash they dropped that plan as quick as they could. We haven't heard a peep from that guy since that interview. It's all been his co-director since then. I wonder if he's even still working on it.

Robot Pants

Yea it's strange. I think the initial reason was to have it cater to a larger audience while still making it "acceptable" for the hardcore fans.
I guess Miyazaki wasn't capable of this?
Of course he was.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So, what does people think so far?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
If Miyazaki is capable of making two new profitable IPs for them, why not have him work on another new IP and have someone else continue the already proven brand? Makes sense to me from a business direction. Unless Miyazaki's new game isn't published by Namco.

Exactly. I accept the refutal from before, as I'd forgotten about that early interview. However I believe any director would say they were disappointed in having to step down from such a position - the Souls series is Miyazaki's baby. We can only really speculate (see below) as to what went on internally, but the fact is the change does make sense from a business perspective.

The other possibility was the initial plan was to mainstream the game with that second director's influence, but after his interview backlash they dropped that plan as quick as they could. We haven't heard a peep from that guy since that interview. It's all been his co-director since then. I wonder if he's even still working on it.

Again, Miyazaki is an advisor to DS2 development. He no doubt has his hands full with something else. But to be fair we don't hear much of a peep out of From at all. Hopefully this'll change for the better in time...

Zaventem

So, what does people think so far?

I would like to thank the Dark Souls 2 team for making strength weapons good again. :)
The_Greatest_of_Axes.gif

One person doesn't make a game alone. If they think other people can develop a sequel and get some benefits from directing the game what's the problem? i don't want a kojima situation where he's the only one directing the game and every other person that might step in to give something a try gets a pure negative response by the fanbase and he has to jump in to take over.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Glad about the strength-build buff :D

Bedlam

Coming to an awful lot of conclusions after thirty or so minutes of play. What I played was very encouraging.
Yup. People should be careful to judge the game based on this short vertical slice. They're thrown into the game without a proper introduction, there is no time for the game to grow on people etc.

And it has been said already: Dark Souls also felt different from Demon's Souls. I only played Demon's Souls for the first time during the last few weeks; finished it 3 days ago; and while I prefer Dark Souls overall, Demon's Souls felt a little snappier. Seems like DS2 might feel a little closer to DeS.

That said, I had a weird feeling about the sequel since it was announced and the first material was shown. I still hope I'm wrong.

Yoshichan

The people complaining are complaining about what exactly?
Seems like DS2 might feel a closer to DeS.
Holy tits if true.

Parsnip

I wouldn't draw huge conclusions just yet based on network test. Especially on the presentation side of things. 6 more months, damn.

Does anyone have any footage of a parry in action? I've yet to actually see one. What's their deal? Are they new? Do they make big splashing noises? Do they blind you with egregious Forza 5-esque lens flare?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have any footage of a parry in action? I've yet to actually see one. What's their deal? Are they new? Do they make big splashing noises? Do they blind you with egregious Forza 5-esque lens flare?

A successful parry on normal humanoid enemies seems to properly knock them on their arse, giving you a huge window to step in and plunge your sword into their defenseless forms. The timing is different/harder, but the payoff is massive. I believe you're no longer invulnerable during a riposte/backstab, so you need to be more strategic with them. They'll feel more like glorious finishing moves this time, I reckon.

Even better that they'll supposedly have a wider range of riposte attacks depending on the weapon. Can't wait.

A successful parry on normal humanoid enemies seems to properly knock them on their arse, giving you a huge window to step in and plunge your sword into their defenseless forms. The timing is different/harder, but the payoff is massive. I believe you're no longer invulnerable during a riposte/backstab, so you need to be more strategic with them. They'll feel more like glorious finishing moves this time, I reckon.

Even better that they'll supposedly have a wider range of riposte attacks depending on the weapon. Can't wait.

Spanks, man. Delicious. Unique animations, of course? I am loving the new BS animations and the fact that they're weapon specific.

popyea

Spanks, man. Delicious. Unique animations, of course? I am loving the new BS animations and the fact that they're weapon specific.

I wonder if we'll get unique backstab/riposte animations for different weapons within the same weapon class. eg. one longsword having a different animation to another longsword, for whatever reason. I'd love for any lore-heavy weaponry to have animations that relate to that backstory in some way.

Solal

Not sure i like the idea of time limit for summoned players...I loved how you could rely on someone else. It felt great to play with a much stronger player. Easier of course, but great.

I wonder if we'll get unique backstab/riposte animations for different weapons within the same weapon class. eg. one longsword having a different animation to another longsword, for whatever reason. I'd love for any lore-heavy weaponry to have animations that relate to that backstory in some way.

Ha. I like your thinking. From are probably keeping that one up their sleeve for DSIII. God, that'd be awesome, though. Imagine the ripostes/BS's Artorias would lay on fools with his swords. Soaked in pwning despair.

Vitten

Not sure i like the idea of time limit for summoned players...I loved how you could rely on someone else. It felt great to play with a much stronger player. Easier of course, but great.

I guess that's the exact point of the change. They want to make the game harder by not being able to rely on strong phantoms aymore.

I remember clearing entire levels effortlessly as an overpowered low-level blue in DeS with the host just tagging along without having to lift a finger.
And because it was a lot easier to play together than in DaS, some guys asked me to follow them through each level.. they must have thought it was the easiest game ever and wonder what all the fuss was about.

Both your points are very solid sounding and very probable. I guess we will never know "the true" reason behind Miyazaki's removal from DkS2.

Orayn

Personally, I'm happy to hear that the changes between Dark Souls and Dark Souls II are significant and that it's not just a "straight sequel."

Going from Demon's Souls to Dark Souls involved a lot of "horizontal" changes like the Metroidvania/open-world game structure, Estus, humanity system, covenants, stat revisions, and shift in tone/setting, in addition to "vertical" changes like increasing the number of bosses, size of the game, and amount of equipment/spells/armor.

Sounds like Dark Souls II is going in a similar direction, with even more attention being paid to fine-tuning and revamping existing game mechanics as well as improving fundamentals like framerate, game balance, and multiplayer connectivity. There are still potential pitfalls, of course, but I think it's good that they're not content to stay in one place and continue to explore new ideas.

q6S08mW.png

This is the way features should overlap in a series with multiple entries, with ABCD being the core (thematic) elements and everything else being subject to change.

Posted in the other thread.

Good I think, but really dark. Things feel slower, but the animations are more flashy and the spells and deaths and such have more particles and so on. I didn't really notice much improvements, maybe because of the location, but if you look at details then it's more noticeable.

Also this is against NDA I guess but videos from the last beta are still on youtube so I'll try my luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EHNYXIc6lg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZEGcJXewt4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAzMzGUIXwg

First video is some Hunter footage, was just testing out the moving while shooting. Second two are attempts at the Chariot boss, whatever its name is. They were recorded after the 6 black phantoms died though, so you don't get to see their cool weapons (whips!)

I have another that's a full stage play through with the normal boss but it's like 2.5GB so yeah nowhere for that to go :v

Donthizz#

How am I supposed to get out of that pit without sacrificing all my souls? I killed all enemies down there like a boss though.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Animation for the Hunter... running with the bow, is horrid.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
why? people already noticed improvements to the default running animation between the tgs demo and the japan network beta

I'm sure many things will change... but I'm also confident this particular change won't be among them. I've been following gaming for a long time, and this just isn't the type of thing that changes six months out unless devs get significant negative feedback, and this issue isn't important or notable enough to warrant such a response.

It's okay. Souls has always been a mixed bag when it comes to animation. I was just making an observation, not really complaining.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm sure many things will change... but I'm also confident this particular change won't be among them. I've been following gaming for a long time, and this just isn't the type of thing that changes six months out unless devs get significant negative feedback, and this issue isn't important or notable enough to warrant such a response.

It's okay. Souls has always been a mixed bag when it comes to animation. I was just making an observation, not really complaining.

I'd normally agree but since you can tell animation has been touched up in between builds I'm thinking it can change

then again dks had some pretty terrible running animations, so I'm not too worried either :p

UrbanRats

I'd normally agree but since you can tell animation has been touched up in between builds I'm thinking it can change

then again dks had some pretty terrible running animations, so I'm not too worried either :p

DkS 1 had some awesome running (and especially sprinting) animations!

Can you turn off the UI to any extent? I'd like the life bar there, but everything else can go.

In the settings menu, you have the option to 1)always hide 2)auto hide or 3)always on. I Think ill be using the auto hide option. it will disappear after a set amount of time not being used, which makes sense.

The running/movement animations really threw me off the first time I saw them as well. For starters, the girl character model literally looks like shes prancing around with hands out to the sides like dainty flower... REAL Intimidating.

Second. For whatever reason (after killing enemy or running out of stamina, not sure) your character will run around like a retard with his head and shoulders back like hes about to get low and do the limbo. AWKWARD...what is this animation suppose to convey?

Thirds. The general walk/run is OK, I can get used to that. But I have heard a lot of mention of "skating", where the characters steps don't match with how fast they are moving over the ground, giving them a "skating/floating" effect.

Yeah... still buying day one though... collectors edition lol.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I've been fearing this since I saw gameplay trailers and footage.

The running/movement animations really threw me off the first time I saw them as well. For starters, the girl character model literally looks like shes prancing around with hands out to the sides like dainty flower... REAL Intimidating.

The general walk/run is OK, I can get used to that. But I have heard a lot of mention of "skating", where the characters steps don't match with how fast they are moving over the ground, giving them a "skating/floating" effect.

ibgGONndzfrT66.gif

Will continue to post this gif everytime people complain about movement animations.

Top Bottom