• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 Lighting changes/Downgrade

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Between this thread and the semi-disappointing comments in the OT, my enthusiasm has plummeted massively in the last 24 hours.

I finally played through the DLC and finale of Dark Souls 1 this weekend after such a long hiatus and my hype was at critical levels too. So depressing. :(

Luckily I'm not the type of person that loses my shit over every thing that happens that I don't agree with. After a few days of thinking about this, I think I'm not going to let it ruin my experience with the game. I'm also not going to hold out for the PC version. I do agree that the environments look more bland than we've seen in previews, and that perhaps we should change the subtitle of the OT to "The Grey Souls of Dark Souls", but overall I play Dark Souls for the boss and enemy encounters, and I always have the torch to fall back to. Even the original Dark Souls was a letdown graphically, with areas like Blighttown falling into the single digit frame rates, not to mention the final area with all the lava.

I actually think that taken by itself, if we had never seen the original screenshots that looked so much better, and if From had never touted the new lighting engine, people would look at this and think that it looked pretty much like Dark Souls, so they'd be happy.

Still, I think it's reasonable for people to be disappointed about this, and I hope the developers are questioned about it in an upcoming interview, and that we can get some insight into why this happened, and perhaps even get a patch that turns dynamic lighting back on. Either way, when tomorrow rolls around, I'll be enjoying Dark Souls 2 almost as much as I would have otherwise.

Anyone cancelling their pre order over this was never a fan of the Souls series to begin with.

This should be at the top of every new page of this way-too-long thread.

Are you kidding? So if you were a fan of an old game, you throw your money at and defend with all your might, any future release? Is there even room to express negative opinions with this type of thinking?

What if it's shit? What if it's completely uninspired garbage, the likes of which is extremely common in sequels territory? I'm not saying that's the case for Dark Souls 2, but I do suspect it's not going to quite live up to Demon's, or Dark Souls, and if that's someone's expectation, and evidence and player opinion show up supporting these beliefs, I wouldn't hold it against that individual should he pull his preorder. I certainly wouldn't call him a nonfan of the older games.

From another perspective, you could say that the people pulling their preorders are the most passionate fans of the other games, if it's suspected that the new game strays from what made the older games great.

Personally I'm still looking forward to the game, with reserved enthusiasm.. Will have to stop coming into this thread, because I don't want to know anything else about the game, but the controversy is hard to ignore.

For real, didn't realise preordering or cancelling one was a line in the sand about judging a person's allegiance. This falls into that garbage "fake geek" shaming.

Sullichin

This makes me wonder about some of the big DS youtubers who'e played and praised it, but haven't mentioned at all the lightning issue.

I wouldn't put too much thought into it. I have it and I didn't notice anything was changed until I saw this thread. That's why I would be pretty amazed if any reviews mention it.

They're also limited in what they're allowed to talk about pre-release. Most people who have review copies can't even say anything until midnight.

joelseph

For real, didn't realise preordering or cancelling one was a line in the sand about judging a person's allegiance. This falls into that garbage "fake geek" shaming.

As long as the engine is not a downgrade from the original game, and it's in the same generation so why would it be, I don't see how any fan would be up-in-arms over demos vs release. It's going to be Dark Souls 2, I don't care if their are turds on the walls. Give it to me.

I wouldn't put too much thought into it. I have it and I didn't notice anything was changed until I saw this thread. That's why I would be pretty amazed if any reviews mention it.

They're also limited in what they're allowed to talk about pre-release. Most people who have review copies can't even say anything until midnight.

Thats exactly the point, only super ultra hardcore fans that check everything will realize what the game could have been.

The truth is that the Demo is probably just a "tech showcase" of what their engine can achieve, but not something they could put into a retail title throughout the whole game, I wish they had said that.

The demo got me pretty hyped for graphics as well as gameplay, now im only hyped for the gameplay.

The staircase, the thunderstorm hall and the Mirror Knight of the demo will always be "what could have been" nothing more than that.

Cant wait to see proper comparisons, I wonder if they actually thought no one would notice the difference.

Sullichin

Thats exactly the point, only super ultra hardcore fans that check everything will realize what the game could have been.

The truth is that the Demo is probably just a "tech showcase" of what their engine can achieve, but not something they could put into a retail title throughout the whole game, I wish they had said that.

The demo got me pretty hyped for graphics as well as gameplay, now im only hyped for the gameplay.

The staircase, the thunderstorm hall and the Mirror Knight of the demo will always be "what could have been" nothing more than that.

Cant wait to see proper comparisons, I wonder if they actually thought no one would notice the difference.
If it was that massive of a downgrade I really think it would have stuck out to me somewhere before I saw this thread. I've gotten to the network test area but not the Mirror Knight yet though.

I'm around 5 hours in the game and loving it. Even though I can confirm that;

-The frame rate is terrible, honestly hovers low to mid ~20s, rarely hits the 30FPS mark.
-Lighting is a massive downgrade.

Still can't get enough, godly game.

PS3 version. Haven't tested the 360 version yet, can't comment on that.

When you're in corridors where absolutely NOTHING is happening, it reverts back to 30fps. But once you're out in the open again, prepare for the drops.

Well this is massively disappointing.

From another perspective, you could say that the people pulling their preorders are the most passionate fans of the other games, if it's suspected that the new game strays from what made the older games great.

I never thought about it like that. I guess I just needed to be reminded that the graphics and lighting were what made these games great, definitely not the gameplay.

I can see why everyone thinks this is worth not buying now. FromSoft has strayed too far from its roots as technical and graphical wizards.

Lets play a game I wont tell you which one is which

iN1N17Kjbs9h6.gif
iZiFrhFAmQUCP.gif

Mirror Knight comparison

Demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TowEGaVreLM

Retail:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV9WE_CfavQ&feature=youtu.be

The differences aren't quite as bad as the previous screen caps made it out to be, but there is still a bit of a downgrade. However, I think this looks ok.
The glares that accompanied lighting are gone. Also, the arena is way too bright and only darkens when lightning strikes lol. Framerate seems low too.

This gives support to the idea that the added brightness in the levels is due to player feedback. Fucking filthy casuals and fuck FROM for compromising the game for them.

I never thought about it like that. I guess I just needed to be reminded that the graphics and lighting were what made these games great, definitely not the gameplay.

I can see why everyone thinks this is worth not buying now. FromSoft has strayed too far from its roots as technical and graphical wizards.

There are other complaints, this graphics stuff is just at the front of the deception argument. Honestly I'm more worried about things like lifegems AND estus, bonfire warping from the start, the new animations that seem to lack the weight and heaviness of the other games, etc.

Don't want to know too much though. I need to stop coming in here.

Lets play a game I wont tell you which one is which

iN1N17Kjbs9h6.gif
iZiFrhFAmQUCP.gif

OMG absolutely NO character lighting on console version (on the right I assume). WTF!!

Shit, maybe I was wrong. The left one looks better to me here. The characters are getting correct lighting. Damn, this game is all over the place. Art direction coming in HOT

FINAL EDIT: This is not nearly as much of an issue as the torch section. I'm fine with either of these honestly.

Left is retail. Can tell by the 'greenish' hue.

Yep, all sorts of missing, wrong stuff with the retail one, the green hue on the ground, when the boss lands on the ground, the Demo version shows splashes of water, gone from the Retail.

I dont understand what is going on with both version.

I know this makes no sense but bear with me.

Is it possible that the Demo is a completely different executable from the Retail and that they had to remake the retail from scratch using another engine, removing simple stuff like that splash makes no sense at all, how taxing can that be, and it looks great from a artistic point of view.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Mirror Knight comparison

Demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TowEGaVreLM

Retail:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV9WE_CfavQ&feature=youtu.be

The differences aren't quite as bad as the previous screen caps made it out to be, but there is still a bit of a downgrade. However, I think this looks ok.

This is bad. The downgrade is clear and big. and it's not only in lighting. everything now is flat and very bland. I hope sites get this story and tell more people about this bullshit. From/Namco should not get a free pass here.

Here is a list of stuff thats wrong with the Retail version of the Mirror Knight:

Your Character has no lightning. (look at the character when the thunder falls, completely flat, demo you can see light change on him)
The splash of water is missing when the boss lands the jump
Weird Green hue on ground/walls.
Skybox is horrible (demo looks like clouds)
Reflections on the boss are toned down from the Demo.

Parsnip

Looking at that mirror knight boss, it just seems like the tint of the whole scene is different and maybe the knight isn't as shiny (toned down specular?).

If someone told me that there's a bug that broke some of the rendering pipeline just before they printed the discs, and that there's a day 1 patch incoming, I would believe it.

Obviously that would change nothing on the geometry changes, but those were in the TGS demo already, from what I saw. The door frame wasn't stone blocks etc.

Even though I'm fairly sure the PC version will have all the bells and whistles, if we are safe to assume that the lead platform is indeed PC from what they announced, I'm sure some group of people will mod and replace it to look like how it did haha.

I still do not understand the clamoring and reasoning for a PS4/Xone version, I really believe that their next-gen statements were about the engine and how they could take that engine and use it for a next-gen game. That's just my opinion anyways.

Arkanius

The more I see the before screenshots, the more I notice it looks way too good to be possible on the X360/PS3 without a resolution downgrade.
Mind you that the current builds and final versions are at 1280x720 and look sharp as hell.
It seems a case of last minute cutting and saving the improved engine to a Next-Gen re-release

HOWEVER, I still think the PC version will be identical to the X360/PS3 (Please I hope I'm wrong) and only a future/possible release on PS4/Xone to be improved (A la Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Yep, all sorts of missing, wrong stuff with the retail one, the green hue on the ground, when the boss lands on the ground, the Demo version shows splashes of water, gone from the Retail.

I dont understand what is going on with both version.

I know this makes no sense but bear with me.

Is it possible that the Demo is a completely different executable from the Retail and that they had to remake the retail from scratch using another engine, removing simple stuff like that splash makes no sense at all, how taxing can that be, and it looks great from a artistic point of view.

It seems like theyve crudely just turned some element off or ripped it out, leaving certain environments to look incorrectly lit, but when dynamic light sources kick in like torches, sunlight, or lightning, you can see environments back as they were supposed to be.

Like in the above comparison, when the lightning strikes it looks correct, but rather than return to the moody dark storm palette once previously there, it goes to some weird shitty greenish hue incorrectly lit area.

I guess all we can hope for now is it was because of technical and framerate concerns and not fucking drastic responses to focus testing and "ITS TOO DARK" being a complaint about DARK SOULS 2.

Comparison of the Hall, this is fucking awful.

DEMO
igf8sVocpNXxk.gif

RETAIL
i3Vl2lhTKltb0.gif

The torches are gone.
Characted no longer gets lit when the thunder falls.
Everything looks flat.

Say what? FS were never either of those things.

I was being 100% sarcastic. I didn't how else to express my astonishment that some slightly changed graphics would warrant this madness over a Souls game.

Based on people's reactions here, you might be led to believe they actually believed that about From though.

Bedlam

DEMO
igf8sVocpNXxk.gif

RETAIL
i3Vl2lhTKltb0.gif

The torches are gone.
Everything looks flat.
Aww man ... :-/

I'm definitely not a pixel counter but it's disappointing how much less atmospheric the final version looks without those lights.

Before:
darksouls2ps3gameplayxwr8u.png

Now:
darksouls2lookingglasr3pdp.png

Before:
darksouls2ps3gameplayaqppi.png

Now:
darksouls2lookingglasozpoz.png

Before:
darksouls2ps3gameplayaiouk.png

Now:
darksouls2lookingglasd1ojg.png

these remind me of multiplatform games during the ps2/xbox area
the ps2 version always had the lighting and a bunch of effects completely missing and looked flat in comparison

in the 'run down the hallway with the epic atmosphere and statues while the lightning flashes, none of the columns draw shadows or affect the lighting anymore, it's just the window bit (that is probably faked to boot)

I'm cool even though it is disappointing, it's not as if devs cutting features and scaling back during development is anything new and it is on old hardware.

What would ppl prefer FROM keeping the lighting in and have half the game run like Blightown or cut it to keep frame rate stable which makes them look like they deceived everybody?

BTW I hope a Xbox 1 / PS4 port isn't announced for atleast 2 years, a 3 way split of the playerbase is bad enough, 5 might kill online.

zma1013

Here is a list of stuff thats wrong with the Retail version of the Mirror Knight:

Your Character has no lightning. (look at the character when the thunder falls, completely flat, demo you can see light change on him)
The splash of water is missing when the boss lands the jump
Weird Green hue on ground/walls.
Skybox is horrible (demo looks like clouds)
Reflections on the boss are toned down from the Demo.

There's clearly lighting on the characters from the lightning in both versions. Not sure how you don't see it. Pay attention to whether he's already in a shadow from the pillars or not, that's the key.

P.S. Thunder has no light, it's a sound. :p

DEMO
igf8sVocpNXxk.gif

RETAIL
i3Vl2lhTKltb0.gif

The torches are gone.
Everything looks flat.

Again, there is clearly character lighting from the lightning in both versions. The supposed retail build certainly looks less potent, but it's there. Watch his left shoulder as he's running through the hall. Light reflects off him as the lightning flashes.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I'm cool even though it is disappointing, it's not as if devs cutting features and scaling back during development is anything new and it is on old hardware.

What would ppl prefer FROM keeping the lighting in and have half the game run like Blightown or cut it to keep frame rate stable which makes them look like they deceived everybody?

I feel this is quite different from other cutbacks due to how FROM/Namco have been showing off the game. It's all been this much better looking set of demos without any signs of it needing to be cut to begin with. The network test ran off of the same thing. We are now a few days away from the console release and the new footage is starting to leak out. A ton of graphical features are missing and we should not excuse that in the slightest.

There's no ifs, ands or "no true soulsmans" about it. This was false advertising of their product.

Top Bottom