• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 Lighting changes/Downgrade

Ghazi

he hasn't tweeted anything in the last 15 hours.. maybe he's just been busy?
Of course, I'm sure it's something like that. I just wish Namco wasn't so quiet about this. While they've kinda acknowledged it, they've been ignoring it, which isn't good at all.

AkuMifune

Banned
During the QL, Brad comments when taking out/putting away the torch, "Oh wow the lighting really wrecking performance."

So in order to optimize they must have had to decrease its significance, if they weren't able to improve performance any other way.

It's all conjecture but without any communication, conjecture's all we got.

Grief.exe

During the QL, Brad comments when taking out/putting away the torch, "Oh wow the lighting really wrecking performance."

So in order to optimize they must have had to decrease its significance, if they weren't able to improve performance any other way.

That is my theory as well, they decreased the necessity of the torch as the dynamic lighting system was causing performance issues.

Could be that.

It would make sense if they had to brighten the areas so that torches weren't needed for performance reasons due to the new engine not running well on the last gen consoles. They had said before that the original reveal was running on PC, I believe.

We'll just have to see if they say anything about it.

The shocking thing is that in the preview builds, framerate was stable even in those conditions.

We are really in the dark here (*badumthish*) but this is a really weird situation. And hardly comparable with past FROM examples.

He also stated how much better the game ran then the preview builds they played before. I think that's the issue with porting down from PC. They made an engine that old hardware could not handle till it's fullest and decided to make some cuts so the game wouldn't run like absolute crap. I don't know how big an element the torch was supposed to be throughout the game but they also got a lot of negative feedback from the beta of people not being crazy about the game being so dark and needing the torch so often so it was probably something they decided would be best.

Grief.exe

For those saying this is par for the course for From, does that include gameplay mechanics? Or solely graphical features?

This may be an outside case, as the gameplay mechanic was directly impacting the graphical performance.

That seems like an awful last-ditch fix for a problem mechanic that should've been caught in initial phases.

Seems to lend credence to the PC lead platform announcemennt.

From was creating their engine with PC/next-gen in mind. When it came to optimize the individual console versions, From went and slashed graphical effects off left and right.

Orayn

It would be really cool if the lighting was intact on the PC version. We know that some version with full lighting exists, since we've seen it in trailers and played live at conventions.

It would be really cool if the lighting was intact on the PC version. We know that some version with full lighting exists, since we've seen it in trailers and played live at conventions.

Our only hope.

Will be so hard from Bamco to just make an statement regarding this?

Foffy

Banned
What game from FROM ever convinced people that they are capable of delivering an entire game that is technically more than average, because I cannot think of any.

I think the issue here is that this is really the first time FROM has a game that has major, major notice around it. Dark Souls did, but only because it was following up on the cultish hit of Demon's Souls. Dark Souls II is really their first major "AAA"-window release, and with that comes the expectations we make to that caliber of game.

It also does them no favors when they've talked up their engines, and especially the lighting, only to see it get downgraded.

Grief.exe

Our only hope.

I wouldn't expect any official information on the PC version for at least two more weeks. If you follow console releases, the sales numbers generally take a massive dive after that amount of time, then they begin to be cannibalized by the used market.
With that said, I would imagine a series like Dark Souls has a longer tail than your typical AAA schlock though.

We might be able to glean some information through back channels from insiders though.

Orayn

Our only hope.

I'm guessing Bamco would rather let From say it since they're pretty hands-off about development, and From would rather say nothing for fear of making themselves look bad.

The most we'll get from anyone is a generic noncommittal response like "The visuals of trailers and demos represent a product in development and are always subject to change."

epmode

From was creating their engine with PC/next-gen in mind. When it came to optimize the individual console versions, From went and slashed graphical effects off left and right.

This would be GREAT if the upcoming PC release reverts the lighting to how it was originally intended. I have a bad feeling about that, though.

Unless the PC delay wasn't a ridiculous anti-piracy thing, it was From/Namco trying to collect all they could from a sub-par release before putting out the main course.

I still think the reason for the delay was to prevent sales canibalization of the console versions.

What you are asking is pretty much the same: "Hey dudes, PC version has all the bells and whistles that you wanted to."

However I still think that will be the case, but we won't know yet, if Bamco is still shady as fuck (heh) they will make an event two weeks before release and show to the press how does the game really looks like on PC.

I'm so tempted to double dip so I can play this. But the obvious downgrades do concern me.

It's just going to be tough sitting here with my guide and no game until release :p

Ketch

Bamco is still shady as fuck (heh) they will make an event two weeks before release and show to the press how does the game really looks like on PC.

this is what's going to happen. They don't even have the decency to wait for 6+ months before they play the "haha we screwed you" card *cough gta cough*

I still think the reason for the delay was to prevent sales canibalization of the console versions.

What you are asking is pretty much the same: "Hey dudes, PC version has all the bells and whistles that you wanted to."

However I still think that will be the case, but we won't know yet, if Bamco is still shady as fuck (heh) they will make an event two weeks before release and show to the press how does the game really looks like on PC.

Namco isn't a platform holder, why would they care which platform performed best? That's not cannibalization.

Orayn

I wonder if it's been toned down since all the new B-roll footage we saw in January? A 3-way comparison between the E3, January, and release versions of Mirror Knight would be a good way to test this hypothesis.

Also makes sense why so many people think the starter area is so ugly. It was probably meant to only be seen by torchlight as it introduced the mechanic.

Namco isn't a platform holder, why would they care which platform performed best? That's not cannibalization.

(English is not my first language)

My point is that they want their game to sell best in the most safest platform to them (consoles), if they released a superior version of the game along the "not so pretty" consoles editions, what do you think most people will do?

Stet

Banned

That would be great, sure, but then why would it be the second platform to launch?

Orayn

That would be great, sure, but then why would it be the second platform to launch?

Could be some of the other PC differences like revamping the controls, or them taking the time to polish and optimize the lighting for PC while the console versions just had it removed in a quick and dirty fashion.

dan2026

Wow this seems like a hot mess.

11th hour stripping out of key stuff that was destroying performance.
And the performance STILL isn't stable!

This game needed another 6 months in my opinion.

If they didn't the resources to release all 3 at the same time then it would make sense to put the efforts towards the two with higher sales potentials. If the PC version released first and looked and play that much better console fans would have caused a shitstorm. This way the console players got it first and have nothing to compare it to.

Wow this seems like a hot mess.

11th hour stripping out of key stuff that was destroying performance.
And the performance STILL isn't stable!

This game needed another 6 months in my opinion.
But people are still enjoying it and it has better performance and graphics than the last two. The game needs better hardware.

Grief.exe

I'll answer your question with a question.

Does Bandai Namco want to maximize their profit margins for this game?

Generally, releasing the console version first is an accepted practice as it allows you to generate more revenue when people buy the PC version as well. What happens when that PC version not only has increased frame rate and resolution, but also, a significantly better lighting system, and a fleshed out mechanic that was overlooked for the console release?

Ignorance is power for these publishers.

dan2026

But people are still enjoying it and it has better performance and graphics than the last two. The game needs better hardware.

Personally I don't think there is anything in Dark Souls 1 or 2 that couldn't be done stably on 360/ps3. There have been much more demanding games on both.
And really saying this game has better performance than Dark Souls 1, really isnt saying anything.
Some parts of that game were a literal freaking slideshow.

But hey, they could always have done a PS4 /X1 version.

Grief.exe

Past tense? No.

From is a small company developing a niche game. They are already struggling to develop on 3 systems concurrently, let alone 5. Throwing more developers at the problem would only cause issues and inflate costs significantly.

Personally I don't think there is anything in Dark Souls 1 or 2 that couldn't be done stably on 360/ps3. There have been much more demanding games on both.
And really saying this game has better performance than Dark Souls 1, really isnt saying anything.
Some parts of that game were a literal freaking slideshow.

Maybe given a technically superior developer but From is from and they have always seemed to struggle with performance issues on current gen hardware. I doubt more time would have completely eradicated the issue.

igf8sVocpNXxk.gif
i3Vl2lhTKltb0.gif
D:

PC version better slay.

Sanctuary

Besides the downgraded graphics/aesthetics/lighting, it also looks like they didn't implement any of the positive Sorcery changes (where you can charge the spells). So far, it plays exactly the same as before, except now it requires stamina each cast...

Maybe it's only for select spells where this is supposed to work, but so far, nothing has changed from Dark.

Arkanius

Besides the downgraded graphics/aesthetics/lighting, it also looks like they didn't implement any of the positive Sorcery changes (where you can charge the spells). So far, it plays exactly the same as before, except now it requires stamina each cast...

Was it ever confirmed?

Sanctuary

So they took out features that were already in the Beta?
:/

Yes. And this fucking sucks. They implemented a couple of new spells, but so what? It's just the same, stand there and shoot projectiles gameplay that it always was. They said that they were going to go out of their way to make it more interesting and to have parity with melee in terms of fun. The only parity it now has with melee is that your spells now also require endurance to cast. This was one of the biggest features to the combat that I was looking forward to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJm3TnmlCpE

No real spoilers, just beta gameplay. It clearly shows the spells being cast normally, slower and quicker with scaled damage to match.

Garcia

I'm right now playing the PS3 version of the game.

It is true: The game doesn't look good at all. One of the main problems I've encountered so far (been playing for an hour) is the notorious inconsistency of the color palette in the environments. This is a problem that I never encountered in the original Dark Souls. The first game was always coherent. You were either traversing evergreen forests with blueish patches of water, sunlight bathed cathedrals, greyish halls and corridors, dark wooden areas, etc. I never found any contradictions.

Dark Souls 2 looks hideous because it breaks the visual style that characterized the prequel. The tutorial area is a
multi branched forest
that has patches of green moss randomly placed on light grey corridors. There's sconces scattered everywhere that serve absolutely no purpose because the ambient light saturates your surroundings.

There are too many colors going on at the same time. I've found brown, gray, green, blue, orange, black and white and I'm yet to leave the area. It's just way too much going on. Your character's skin tone contrasts your own clothes/armor big deal and it doesn't blend within the environment.

It's several steps down in quality when you put it side by side to the original.

(Will share more impressions as I keep going.)

Top Bottom