• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2 Lighting changes/Downgrade

Gaming journalism not getting it once again:

This case is very close to what Gearbox did with Colonial Marines, a demo that lacked several graphical details and way different level design. Ok, DS2 might be an awesome game, but this shouldn't excuse FROM and Namco poor attitude by keep showing a way better looking game until 1 month of release.

Problem with PlayStation Access footage is not the "muted shadows", is that the lighting engine looks WAY better and that an entire mechanic that was suposed to be there is not on the retail version without a proper explanation. People only found about this when the game was released. That's borderline false advertisment. That's why ppl are raging.

The lost in graphical detail and ambientation hurt a lot of us, but that's a minimal issue here. We've been basically lied once again, bullshit vertical slices needs to stop and the press by standing on the side of publishers/developers makes that this shaddy marketing tactic will be keep being used in the future.

KarmaCow

And the demo everyone played.

Also, there are RELEASE REVIEWS. Vaatiya or whatever his name is, got a "Review copy" WITH THE LIGHTING AND SHADOWS IN.

He has videos showing it off!

However, upon release day, after his review was sent, a patch downloaded and disabled it again, he's one of the biggest people crying out about this.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/236430/discussions/0/558750544109474619/

Is this true??

Is there a link of Vaati saying this? We don't really need unverified second hand sources muddying up the water.

People are still talking about this?
Why? The game is fine.

g67naeq.jpg

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just played this game for a couple of hours on the PS3 and can cnfirm that it looks absolutely horrible. It's like I accidentionally plugged in my PS2. What the hell From? What a downer.

Jiraiya

1 thing I do not understand is why in the beta (ps3) Huntsman's Corpse looked fine but in the retail version it doesn't look anything like it. That area had an awesome dark atmosphere but now its like they cranked up the brightness.

Nordicus

Gaming journalism not getting it once again:

This case is very close to what Gearbox did with Colonial Marines, a demo that lacked several graphical details and way different level design. Ok, DS2 might be an awesome game, but this shouldn't excuse FROM and Namco poor attitude by keep showing a way better looking game until 1 month of release.
Yeah.

Basically, if FROM and Namco get away with this while SEGA and Gearbox didn't, then this would mean that gaming media wasn't angry about misrepresentation of a product anymore in case of Aliens, they were just butthurt about Colonial Marines being a bad game.

Curious_George

Neo Member
I work in the industry and it worries me the amount of faith some of you guys are having on the pc build.

If the Steam size of 14gb is right it would probably be a LOT bigger to re enable the tech you're seeing from the TGS Demo.
It's more likely to be higher res textures and uncompressed audio unfortunately.

I hope I'm wrong but experience says otherwise,altho I have all the faith in the world for the modding community to bring out the potential of the PC release.

Dark Souls is only like 4 gigs on the PC. That's still 10 more gigs than the first game and apparently 8.8 more than PS3 install for DS2. I guess we'll see if that's just textures and uncompressed video or a return of some of the visual features like some have anticipated.

I'd say as far lighting goes it may come down to how recently it was stripped from the console build. If it was as last minute as some have speculated then they might be able to add it back in just as quickly. But if the current build of the game is many iterations past that removal then it's probably unlikely we'll see it return unless PC modders can dig out the code and activate it again.

UnrealEck

I can't imagine them using pre-rendered cutscenes in a video format for the PC version. I don't see any reason to. The extra size is most likely higher resolution textures, although 8GB seems like a lot for just textures alone.

Techies

Titanfall 40+ gig of uncompressed audio...

I don't take the size of the game seriously anymore, it's turned into another marketing ploy. This game is 14Gig, must look awesome.

RK9039

Titanfall 40+ gig of uncompressed audio...

I don't take the size of the game seriously anymore, it's turned into another marketing ploy. This game is 14Gig, must look awesome.

Yeah but how many audio files does Dark Souls really need?

Just, Arggh, hrgrhruh, and Thank you Kindly.

So much uproar about Watch Dogs.

So much justifying for Dark Souls 2.

I don't get it....

Exactly, it's almost like it's been given a free pass. And I love this series.

I can't imagine them using pre-rendered cutscenes in a video format for the PC version. I don't see any reason to. The extra size is most likely higher resolution textures, although 8GB seems like a lot for just textures alone.

Pre rendered cutscenes can be really useful if you have a cutscene showing many different areas in a quick succession, since then you wouldn't have to worry about trying to load different areas in chain like that.

Yeah, it's gone.

But the Gone Beyond Death Trailer is still here :D

What's even more worrying is the fact that after they took out the *improved textures* feature on the steam page is looking at the system requirements.

DirectX 9.0c is the only version listed. I'm very doubtful we're gonna get the quality that was first shown of the game for the PC version unless they are adding DX11, especially the lighting effects. Plus the video requirements are pretty low... Are these system requirements final going into release or can they change?

I'm betting they're gonna pull a XB1/PS4 *definitive edition* on us.

Vitor711

Also, there are RELEASE REVIEWS. Vaatiya or whatever his name is, got a "Review copy" WITH THE LIGHTING AND SHADOWS IN.

However, upon release day, after his review was sent, a patch downloaded and disabled it again, he's one of the biggest people crying out about this.

Is this true??

What? Haven't heard this anywhere. Seems dubious but I hope it's true because that guarantees that the lighting would be included in the PC version.

Is this true??

I hope this is true. If it can be taken out with a patch, it can be put back in with a (fan made) patch.
Also they'll turn it back on.

Reebot

I don't get it....

Ubisoft is a much easier target. That, and people wouldn't want that weird feeling inside from having to admit something wrong about a product/company they enjoy.

epmode

I don't get it....

It's really as simple as From being one of the few big-budget developers pushing game design forward while Ubisoft is a shambling, soulless husk of a megacorporation churning out the same game every few months.

I don't know why the Namco side of the equation is ignored but here we are.

I'm betting they're gonna pull a XB1/PS4 *definitive edition* on us.

This was my fear from the start. I still think it's going to happen. I'd feel better if the PC port was held back like Rockstar is doing with GTA5.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
You know, they could have lied about the footage being from a PS3. Because that's where most of their sales come from as that is the where the dominant community lies in. Plus, FromSoftware loves Sony.

It's possible that footage is from PC actually.

KarmaCow

I don't really see how the lighting engine or whatever would make the game almost double in size. Unless there are some incredible textures and high quality audio, or worse pre-rendered cutscenes in the PC version, I'm calling bullshit on the 14GB.

The 14GB on the Steam page could mean nothing. The Steam page for Dark Souls 1 says 8GB but the game takes up a little under 4GB.

D558CEv.png

I don't get it....

Yep, free pass cos it's Souls and From it would seem.

A lot of double standards going around, in fact I'd say the downgrades and changes to Dark Souls II are worse than the Watch Dogs stuff. DSII has entire areas changed. Though some of that is a design choice for gameplay

Kamina

Golden Boy
More like the ps3 version (the real one) was running at 23 fps average without it and they couldn't take the hit further no matter what they did.
This is not true. Where do you people get such stuff from?
In a video posted somewhere in this thread showcasing both console versions you can see that there are dips down to the mid 20ies, but it runs at 30 average.

I don't really see how the lighting engine or whatever would make the game almost double in size. Unless there are some incredible textures and high quality audio, or worse pre-rendered cutscenes in the PC version, I'm calling bullshit on the 14GB.

The 14GB on the Steam page could mean nothing. The Steam page for Dark Souls 1 says 8GB but the game takes up a little under 4GB.

D558CEv.png

Yeah someone said earlier that the way steam handles files now makes it require double the space but doesn't actually use it so it probably is half of that.

Salih

I don't get it....

It's a fucking tragedy. The discrepancy in graphics is even wider in Dark Souls 2.
If we don't get any news regarding the final pc version of this game i will cancel my pre-order. I will not support this bullshit.

You know, they could have lied about the footage being from a PS3. Because that's where most of their sales come from as that is the where the dominant community lies in. Plus, FromSoftware loves Sony.

It's possible that footage is from PC actually.

Some people claimed here that they saw the PS3 demo stations frozing with the demo, inserting the disc again and even seeing the PS3 devkit UI.

The amazing thing is that the TGS demo runs way better than the retail version even with the butchered lighting...

All this is really bizarre. I don't know what to think, I just hope that the game (on PC) ends, at least like the TGS demo.

Some people claimed here that they saw the PS3 demo stations frozing with the demo, inserting the disc again and even seeing the PS3 devkit UI.

The amazing thing is that the TGS demo runs way better than the retail version even with the butchered lighting...

All this is really bizarre. I don't know what to think, I just hope that the game (on PC) ends, at least like the TGS demo.

This has gone both ways. Giant bomb guys said it ran really bad in the Quick look compared to the retail version.

pa22word

This is not true. Where do you people get such stuff from?
In a video posted somewhere in this thread showcasing both console versions you can see that there are dips down to the mid 20ies, but it runs at 30 average.
I'm pretty sure you were looking at wrong colored line my friend. The 360 is around that number, but the ps3v is nowhere near that.

Zomba13

I work in the industry and it worries me the amount of faith some of you guys are having on the pc build.

If the Steam size of 14gb is right it would probably be a LOT bigger to re enable the tech you're seeing from the TGS Demo.
It's more likely to be higher res textures and uncompressed audio unfortunately.

I hope I'm wrong but experience says otherwise,altho I have all the faith in the world for the modding community to bring out the potential of the PC release.

Other sites report the size of the game being around 7-8GB. It seems that the way steam handles installs now needs room for the download and the install (someone suggest this a few days ago) like it does on the PS3 (like Tomb Raider is a 15GB download but you need 30GB of space to install it. 15GB for the install file and 15GB for the game. Once installed it only takes 15GB but you need 30GB to actually download it and install).

Is this true??

I'm not sure this is true. I had a copy well before release, and while there was a patch my preview copy looked like butt from the day I started.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I'm pretty sure you were looking at wrong colored line my friend. The 360 is around that number, but the ps3v is nowhere near that.
No I wasnt lol, i was looking at the FPS counters in the corners.
I just watched the whole thing, only watching the PS3s Number. Lowest it dipped was 14 FPS during an explosion and once 18 when entering a fog gate, but both only for a second or less. The average game moves between 24 and 32 FPS, so we have an all average of 28 FPS.
I can absolutely live with that, as opposed to the screen tearing of the 360. But I guess thats personal preference.

Karkador

Banned

I don't get it....

It's especially weird that journalists could hardly be bothered to give this series of games the time of day before (on Giant Bomb, Demon's Souls was like some crazy, off-topic Vinny thing akin to doomsday prepping), now it's all DS2 all the time, and the game can do no wrong. It's like some kind of gaming Stockholm Syndrome.

Top Bottom