• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls GFWL to Steamworks Migration is now live.

I have moved from the US to Canada since the last time I logged into GFW Live and now it won't let me log in as a security measure. I got an email from MS citing "unusual" account activity and it says they put additional security challenges in place for my protection, but I was not given the opportunity to answer any security questions, it just said I couldn't log in with that ID because of network connectivity problems. (Maybe I'm having two separate issues at once?)

Anyone have any advice?

Even from the grave, MS's fucking abortion is shitting on my face.

Are you pretty far in the game? If not, you can just restart.

--R

Banned
So I try to execute the game but it doesn't even shows on the screen. Yesterday the game worked fine... What's happening?

komorebi

Anyone else have a perpetual grey circle icon in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen?

EDIT: ffs disregard me. Its nvidia shadowplay -_-

Time for serious coffee.

BibiMaghoo

It worked, but not as it says in the instructions lol. It did it the first time I logged in, and couldn't sign in a second time like it says to.

denx

So I can't connect to GFWL to get my saves. I tried connecting through Bulletstorm and no luck either. Should I install an older version of GFWL like some people have said? And if so could anyone link me to an install program for it?

Levyne

Banned
Transfer went perfectly for me. Set that framerate unlock to 0 first thing. I hope DSFix will be made compatitible, but at the same time I doubt I'd ever play it again.

The god awful connection issues seem to be gone, i can actually summon/be summoned now. Maybe i can finally stop playing the PS3 version.

Just got off it and there's tonnes of people about at the burg/church, it's like the good old days, there's more people playing this than DS2 atm. Hopefully a decent amount stay with the GOAT.

Another framerate fix will be icing on the cake at this point

AlterOdin

Will that work for the connection problems? I played a bit of Bulletstorm like a month and a half ago and I didn't have any troubles connecting through GFWL, but now it's just shitting the bed. Win 8.1 btw.

Don't know, what happend to me was that GFWL, installed by steam, crashed . I followed the steps to the letter, and it worked. (Win 8.1 btw)

Can't hurt to try

The god awful connection issues seem to be gone, i can actually summon/be summoned now. Maybe i can finally stop playing the PS3 version.

Just got off it and there's tonnes of people about at the burg/church, it's like the good old days, there's more people playing this than DS2 atm. Hopefully a decent amount stay with the GOAT.

Another framerate fix will be icing on the cake at this point

Damn, I wanted to finish my Valkyria Chronicles playthrough first, but this sounds too good to miss out on. I wonder if the increased activity is because there are more people playing or if it's just because Steamworks is that much better than GFWL.

Sami+

Love the news, now its time to uninstall DS2 and install the "real" souls game.

Word.

Fist_bump!.jpg

wamberz1

I bought Dark souls a long time ago but then completely forgot my gfwl account username and password. now it's just sitting there and i cant play it. I hope this might let me but i doubt it.

WGMBY

I bought Dark souls a long time ago but then completely forgot my gfwl account username and password. now it's just sitting there and i cant play it. I hope this might let me but i doubt it.

It should let you play no problem, just opt into the beta in the steam properties menu for the game.

mario_O

Won't work. With GFWL I couldn't play online, it said "game key is being used by another gfwl profile..." and now with the Steam patch the game's crashing when I finish selecting character and press start. Fuck this.

Is it possible to transfer my save from an offline-only GFWL account (no achievements)? I read the directions but am not clear based on all the directions to sign in.

Is there any reason copy + pasting the save file wouldn't work?

Sorry if this has been covered...I checked but didn't see it.

Is it possible to transfer my save from an offline-only GFWL account (no achievements)? I read the directions but am not clear based on all the directions to sign in.

Is there any reason copy + pasting the save file wouldn't work?

Sorry if this has been covered...I checked but didn't see it.

Worked for me, just make sure you're copying to the new dark souls folder in my documents and not the old one.

I couldn't stand the 60fps related bugs (of which DS2 also has... Ugh), so I just played at 30fps. :X

Honestly, I'm part of the problem, but if Scholar of the First Sin fixes those 60fps related bugs, and the hitboxes, I'll be buying it.

xBladeM6x

Dark Souls @ 30 FPS. Good God, why. Though, I'm glad I already got my fill this game / 100%'d it / played all "classes" all the way through. If I want to pick the game up again, I'll just wait for the 60 FPS patch.

Damn, I wanted to finish my Valkyria Chronicles playthrough first, but this sounds too good to miss out on. I wonder if the increased activity is because there are more people playing or if it's just because Steamworks is that much better than GFWL.

Tell me about it, I'm playing through Persona 4 atm. I fear for it :(

Everything appears to have worked for me. However, my save file was left alone after getting the
ending dark lord, and my save file loads me into the Fire Link Shrine with the covenant guy who is supposed to guard the miracle lady still alive... despite the fact I killed him a while ago.

Not really a problem, from what I can tell. It is just odd.
edit: Bah, nevermind, I must have started a new playthrough and forgotten about it.

Other than that, I'm so excited this is finally up and running! Thank you so much for your consideration for us pc players, FROM!

Sami+

Welp, I'm updating. I tried opening the GFWL version to make sure my save file was safe, but it didn't want to open. Fuck it, Dark Souls is one of the best games ever made anyway so I'll live if I have to start from scratch again.

tauke

Managed to transfer my saves easily without any hitch. Well that's a lie since I forgotten my MS account password and need to reset it.

After that it is as easy as login into GFWL while Dark Souls is running and boom Steam achievements unlocked while the intro logo is still running.

DSfix do work except for the borked FPS unlock.

Top Bottom