• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II - Graphics Comparison - PC Preview

Dark Souls 2 PC |OT| Screw the haters, I think the game looks rather
Nito

(I prefer my one from the last page but I needed to post this one)

I find that incredibly hard to believe. The lag is still oh so real.

I'm playing on the PS3 and the lag is about as bad as it was in the PS3 version of the first game. For me though, after some extensive port forwarding, I had a pretty lag-free experience with the PC version of Dark Souls, so hopefully the PC version of 2 ends up the same.

Really interested in Durante's article. Is there a specific time frame we should be looking towards in terms of the release of the article?

Havel

I wish I was allowed to talk right now and irrefutably demonstrate just how ridiculous the idea that DS2 PC assets aren't improved over their console counterparts is.

activity82svr.png

49652-Jeremiah-Johnson-gif-0osi.gif

impact

Banned
I can't believe they nerfed a bunch of already easy bosses and buffed Wrath of the Gods

You guys won't know the true bullshit of
Lost Sinner NG+

VERY happy with pyromancy being nerfed though.

erawsd

The situation with Dark Souls 2 was initiated on the developer's side, not the fans. They were the ones who created high expectations for the game and failed to deliver the original intended product. The problem has less to do with graphics than you're thinking. When you play it you'll understand that they delivered a half-baked, loosely connected world. Criticism like this is important.

They are still falsely advertising their game by keeping fake screenshots on the official site and they kept showing the same doctored 60 FPS trailer weeks after the release of the game in consoles.

There are a whole lot of problems undergoing and it's just a reflection of a bigger scenario. It is a situation that has been going on for years and it has to stop.

I never said it wasn't a valid criticism. If you feel like you've been lied to then you should absolutely speak up and let it be known. However, that doesn't mean there isn't a lesson for gamers to learn in all of this. Vertical slices aren't going away; at best, they'll put a little blurb at the bottom in fine print that says "pre-release footage". The way we can actually curb this behavior is to stop hyping games based on their graphics and those marketing people won't have to same motivation to misrepresent how their game looks.

Metroid-Squadron said:
1) The concerns were heard but merely dismissed by From and Namco and most of the community.
2) By buying the game, at least at full price, after this whole mess, the companies learn that they can get away with it and will probably do it again. Not only do most people not care but they will also defend those companies and attack and mock their critics.
3) Graphics are important for immersion. The DS2 game director says so himself during the game's reveal. Also, there wouldn't be a downgrade discussion had From being honest since the beginning instead of passing off a tech demo as the real thing.

So, if I wait 4 months and buy the game for $10 then Namco knows that thats because I didn't support the marketing flub? And how do they distinguish that from the impulse buyers, word of mouth, or the cheap asses that will only buy a game on sale? Look, if some marketer looks at this situation and makes a false assumption about why DS2 is selling well -- so what? His game will bomb because thats not why people are buying DS2.

From released a statement explaining why they downgraded it, thats not at all a dismissal. A dismissal would be if they just told you to get over it. As far as the community is concerned, again, everybody gets to make their own decision about this. Just because its important to you doesn't mean it has to be important to the rest of us.

When you vote with your wallet, you aren't voting for just one aspect of a product. It's all or nothing. Dark Souls 2, despite the unfortunately shady shit that went on during the promotion phase, is a game unlike almost any other and a lot of people want to vote loudly for more of that type of game. Surely, many people think that aspect of the game is far more important than deceptive advertising. I am one of them.

I'm very disappointed with the visuals and art design of the final product. I'm even more disappointed with how badly the game performs on PS3 despite looking so shitty. What I'm going to do, in all likelihood, is sell my PS3 copy and buy the PC version and enjoy it because the souls games are fucking great, even when they look like shit. I want more games like this, so I'm going to vote with my wallet for that outcome.

I can combat deceptive marketing by paying attention. I can't make more games like Dark Souls. I need the industry to do that for me.

You can tell the developers exactly why you're dissatisfied with their product so it's not like they'll suddenly say "oh, low sales, means nobody likes this franchise". That's only the case if you don't actively communicate with them. But according to many who opposed us in the original threads, sending a tweet to a developer expressing your views is a ridiculous thing to do.

So, if I wait 4 months and buy the game for $10 then Namco knows that thats because I didn't support the marketing flub? And how do they distinguish that from the impulse buyers, word of mouth, or the cheap asses that will only buy a game on sale? Look, if some marketer looks at this situation and makes a false assumption about why DS2 is selling well -- so what? His game will bomb because thats not why people are buying DS2.
As I said above, that's why you can communicate to them. Send them an tweet or an e-mail. If many people do it they get the point across.

From released a statement explaining why they downgraded it, thats not at all a dismissal. A dismissal would be if they just told you to get over it. As far as the community is concerned, again, everybody gets to make their own decision about this. Just because its important to you doesn't mean it has to be important to the rest of us.
It's a dismissal because it doesn't add up to the evidence. If the problem was performance, how come the playable public demos looked great and ran perfectly on retail PS3s? Did they explain that the tech demo wasn't really the proper game? No. They also completely cut-off any possibility of further communication.

Top Bottom