• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II - Graphics Comparison - PC Preview

Kinsei

Banned
But those games have poor lighting, ugly textures and hideous framerates. Why not boycott them as well?

#YOULIED

Seriously? I couldn't care less about what the game looks like, it's just the principle of it all.

Oh yea. Replaying an existing Souls game for the 5th time is definitely going to be just as good as playing an entirely new one in 1080p/60fps.

Obviously not, but it's a decent substitute if you refuse to buy DaSII.

There's one interesting point there which clearly shows that the shadow resolution is higher on PC.

ds2d5u6q.png

So improved IQ, framerate, texture and shadow resolution.
(That shot also clearly shows higher texture res on the stones in the front btw.)

So, where are the improved textures? The IQ gains there are from screen resolution only.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
They delivered a better PC version than the "A team" and a great game overall. Damn shame that a lighting engine downgrade causes so much disrespect to a group of obviously talented people.

PC version of Dark Souls was a total afterthought and cheap affair. This was supposed to be a ground up affair on PC first. Clearly it was at one time, then absolutely wasn't later. What I'd give to get my hands on that original demo area. What could/should have been. No reason that lighting wasn't put back in and dynamic stuff. Not much reason for the month delay beyond the usual console pump n dump.

Looking forward to Miyazaki's A Team and what they can achieve on PS4.

I started laughing at the Giant Bomb quick look and the shit-as-all-hell ladder climbing animation. Fuck me.

BearPawB

Banned
Ahahaha

I'm sorry, but this really cracks me up.

All that "bu-bu-but wait for the pc version!" and here we are... Downgrade still firmly present.

So to all the people telling guys like me that I should have known better than to fall for media presented as console gameplay that was oh so very clearly the superior awesome pc version the whole time, I ask, what say you now!? Feeling a little stung, eh? Yeah, well, Welcome to March, glad you finally showed up.

I guess now this issue will become "real" since the glorious pc gamers got the shit end of the deceptive Sandwich too and not just us lowly console folk.

Hope everyone saved up for the ps4/xone version properly titled "Dark Souls 2: What was expected Edition" that will inevitably come out.

/still salty as fuck about downgrade

i think you need a xanax

jpax

Expected but still kind of a shame... I guess they really developed "demo levels" for presentation which had nothing to do with the game itself.
Still cannot wait for finally playing it!

Persona7

Banned
Using the term "B team" just shits all over the years of excellent work it took to make the game. I fucking hate seeing that term anywhere.

SJRB

Gold Member
In this video the, some sconces don't give out dynamic lighting when lit.
I could have sworn that they do in the console version.
Maybe a glitch?

Not all sconces give dynamic lighting in the console versions either, it's pretty bizarre.

Sullichin

There's one interesting point there which clearly shows that the shadow resolution is higher on PC.

So improved IQ, framerate, texture and shadow resolution.
(That shot also clearly shows higher texture res on the stones in the front btw.)

Nice, some of the shadows on the console version are extremely blocky and look horrible.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737332

Plenty of new information of Dark Souls II appeared in this month's EDGE issue:

- Dark Souls II is FROMSOFT biggest game in the studio's history with the development team roughy doubled.

- Miyazaki is closely overseeing development of the game, unlike of what was previously reported.

- Production of the game was split in two, with Yui Tanimura in charge of battle mechanics and gameplay while Tomohiro Shibuya is in charge of world and design.

- The opening cinematic will be available for public sometime in January.

- Members of the Brotherhood of Blood and Blue Sentinels can fight PvP battles within their own Covenants.

- Hints of a new Covenant that will act as a police force hunting down invaders, adding an element of risk on those who seek to prey on weaker players.

- Dark Souls II world is about the same size of Dark Souls, but in regards of how proceeding through the world the player will be given more freedom to choose their decisions.

- Lifegems are being balanced and tuned, number of items in general will be limited to balance the game progression.

- Dark Souls II bosses will not be necessarily bigger than Dark Souls, just more interesting in terms of design and fighting style.

- Feedback from the beta was positive, the results of the test proved that Bamco's servers in Japan have plenty of capacity, though it will likely set up local servers in North America and Europe too.

- The darkness of Huntsman's Copse was a common complaint in the beta, FROM said that they are not going to make any brighter, there will be critical moments where you will be forced to choose between a shield's protection and a torch's vision.

- The team cranked up the difficulty but it's still debating whether it's too hard or too easy.

- Regarding the PC version, Tanimura says the game development is based on PC and they will make sure that the main PC game features are supported.

- Regarding Playstation 4 and Xbox One versions Tanimura said that "We have not put any thought into this yet, so I unfortunately can’t answer at this point."

More details in the magazine.

Its Crazy how much changed from then

PC version of Dark Souls was a total afterthought and cheap affair. This was supposed to be a ground up affair on PC first. Clearly it was at one time, then absolutely wasn't later.

I started laughing at the Giant Bomb quick look and the shit-as-all-hell ladder climbing animation. Fuck me.

So you haven't played the game and consider it bad?

Aside from the torch mechanic being more important what all changed?

Vuze

Pity about the lightning, but it looks solid after all. Might just grab it as my first game of the series.

nynt9

Hoping for a PS4 version with the original reveal target render footage lighting is incredibly silly. A next gen version is doubtful to begin with, and even if it happens it will have the exact same lighting as the PS3 and PC versions.

Timu

I'm happy that it's a much better port than the original and with mods it'll look quite better, can't wait either way.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
PC version of Dark Souls was a total afterthought and cheap affair. This was supposed to be a ground up affair on PC first. Clearly it was at one time, then absolutely wasn't later. What I'd give to get my hands on that original demo area. What could/should have been. No reason that lighting wasn't put back in and dynamic stuff. Not much reason for the month delay beyond the usual console pump n dump.

edit: should read quote trees better.

Many people also think Demon Souls or Dark Souls is the worst Soul game. What is your point?

Nearly not as many. Anyway we don't even have to use that as a meter.

Simply put this was the B team Souls game. The original DKS team, a notable amount of them are working on something else with Miyazaki.

Sullichin

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737332

Plenty of new information of Dark Souls II appeared in this month's EDGE issue:

- Dark Souls II is FROMSOFT biggest game in the studio's history with the development team roughy doubled.

- Miyazaki is closely overseeing development of the game, unlike of what was previously reported.

- Production of the game was split in two, with Yui Tanimura in charge of battle mechanics and gameplay while Tomohiro Shibuya is in charge of world and design.

- The opening cinematic will be available for public sometime in January.

- Members of the Brotherhood of Blood and Blue Sentinels can fight PvP battles within their own Covenants.

- Hints of a new Covenant that will act as a police force hunting down invaders, adding an element of risk on those who seek to prey on weaker players.

- Dark Souls II world is about the same size of Dark Souls, but in regards of how proceeding through the world the player will be given more freedom to choose their decisions.

- Lifegems are being balanced and tuned, number of items in general will be limited to balance the game progression.

- Dark Souls II bosses will not be necessarily bigger than Dark Souls, just more interesting in terms of design and fighting style.

- Feedback from the beta was positive, the results of the test proved that Bamco's servers in Japan have plenty of capacity, though it will likely set up local servers in North America and Europe too.

- The darkness of Huntsman's Copse was a common complaint in the beta, FROM said that they are not going to make any brighter, there will be critical moments where you will be forced to choose between a shield's protection and a torch's vision.

- The team cranked up the difficulty but it's still debating whether it's too hard or too easy.

- Regarding the PC version, Tanimura says the game development is based on PC and they will make sure that the main PC game features are supported.

- Regarding Playstation 4 and Xbox One versions Tanimura said that "We have not put any thought into this yet, so I unfortunately can’t answer at this point."

More details in the magazine.

Its Crazy how much changed from then

Err, nothing really changed from that list except that they conceded to fan feedback that huntsman's copse was too dark in the beta.

impact

Banned
The marketing of those games was perfectly honest. Try again.

I too base all my game purchases off of the marketing team rather than the actual game product.

People missing out on a great game from a "series they love" because marketing is just too damn funny to me. Either way, real PC gamers are in for a treat with this game.

zma1013

Did you guys play the network test? Did you not notice how freaking annoying it was having to use a torch everywhere? Want to use a shield? Too bad. Want to use a 2 handed sword? Too bad.

The old lighting system sucked ass from a gameplay perspective.

It worked amazing in
the gutter
level because you could light torches as you go, so the further you made it in, you would end up lighting up nearly the entire level and could run back through it without a torch. Although, you're working under the assumption that every single area has to be like that. It doesn't. Just make a few select areas dark like that. The whole game does not and should not be tomb of giants.

Hoping for a PS4 version with the original reveal target render footage lighting is incredibly silly. A next gen version is doubtful to begin with, and even if it happens it will have the exact same lighting as the PS3 and PC versions.

Ill take a PS4 version with the PC upgrades

I still love the game it is despite it not being the game it was originally pitched to be

I am just disappointed at the compromises they had to make but I in no way hate the game itself

Still a great game by any standard. Just not the standard set by its original vision.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Expected, but still extraordinarily disappointing. Wish they just never showed any of that initial footage with the great atmospheric lighting. Oh well.

I still loved the game on PS3 and have it pre-ordered on PC. Higher res, 60 FPS, better textures, and dramatically reduced loading times will make it totally worth it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Simply put this was the B team Souls game. The original DKS team, a notable amount of them are working on something else with Miyazaki.

Does it really matter which team worked on what when the game is still good?

Yeah, and in a month apparently. The perspective of a lot of people in these Dark Souls threads have really lost control.

We are now at a point where a PC version with more than double the frame rate, higher resolution textures, higher resoluition, AA, etc, is considered crap.
Comparison videos have shown that the textures are identical. Did notice the player shadows are slighty improved and that some metalic armors like Pate's and
The Pursuer
's are shinier as well, so maybe that'll be an indication that this boss fight has been fixed.

In this video the, some sconces don't give out dynamic lighting when lit.
I could have sworn that they do in the console version.
Maybe a glitch?
No, it's the same way on consoles.

JustinSaneV2

Neo Member
Worse. much worse. At least after dsfix.

DSFix simply allowed the unlocking of the framerate and increased resolution. By itself it did nothing to increase the quality of the textures or the environment (other than make them a tad sharper thanks to increased resolution).

You're entitled to your opinion but you are crazy if you honestly believe this looks "much worse" than DS1. DS2 has noticeable improvements on distance rending and texture quality.

Sub 30 or huge screen tearing problems are great?
Ive been playing on the digital ps3 version and if the framerate is below 30 i havent noticed or it seems to be stable. And if it is running poorly as you say, think how much worse it could have been wih the old builds lighting ans textures

Tain

Honestly, I'm pretty surprised that a lot of people take/took this quote:

...to mean that the targetted specs of the game would be drastically higher than 360/PS3. I always read this as the game will support most expected PC game features (kinda like how Devil May Cry 4 was "made for PC"), not that the game would push PCs and be severely downgraded for consoles. Which is what we're getting.

Kinsei

Banned
I too base all my game purchases off of the marketing team rather than the actual game product.

People missing out on a great game from a "series they love" because marketing is just too damn funny to me. Either way, real PC gamers are in for a treat with this game.

So now we're not "real" gamers? Sorry if I misinterpreted the meaning behind your post, but that's how it came off to me.

I really want to like you because of your Fred avatar, but you're making it very hard.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
So you haven't played the game and consider it bad?

Not this shit again. I've explained my viewpoint and all the media and information I've consumed in other threads. Can't be arsed doing it again.Defend away, its your prerogative.

I'll still be playing the game, but its clearly no longer the best product they could have made and a temple of compromise all over. When I found out barely any of the staff from Demon's and Dark 1 worked on this title, it explained a lot. Dudes got to earn a living, and hey it sounds like they get close in some areas and put a fresh a spin on other, but I can safely say I'm not the only one this whole wool-pulling tour of bait and switch turdery has taken its toll on.

Sullichin

A notable amount of them worked on DS2 as well... and the statement that they're working on something else with Miyazaki is just an assumption, maybe a fair one.

Calling it a b-team game doesn't sit well with me... I put it in the same league as the other games, B-team implies a drastic difference in quality which I'm not seeing.

Worse. much worse. At least after dsfix.

Yeah... no.

koryuken

The game changed. It doesn't look as good as the reveal. Shit happens. What matters to me is that this is better than the console version, which it clearly is.

While true, I won't be dropping 50 bones for this. I'll wait till its $20 or below.

S0N0S

The improvements are not much more significant than what we saw with DSfix'd Dark Souls 1 vs PS3 Dark Souls 1 and it's nice to get at least that much this time around, but this looks to me like a port to PC rather than the PC lead platform claims that were made before.

Still excited to finally play this at buttery smooth 1080p/60fps out of the box!

Top Bottom