• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II leads on PC, confirmed 60fps, 30fps on consoles "no drops", new engine

As if I needed any more reasons to switch from consoles to PC? The ship was already sailing this year, but now I have extra incentive to get my machine built before Dark Souls II.

So they'll either have to tweak the engine for next gen or start from scratch...seems like a waste of time and resources.

If they can manage to make a new engine on PC and port it to PS3/360, I'm sure that since next gen consoles are coming closer to being gaming PCs at their core anyway that it shouldn't necessarily be the most complex job of porting it to PS4 or next-360.

Tain

Nirolak said:
One of the directors mentioned they were evaluating middleware at the same time, so perhaps they intend to license an engine for next-gen.
lol what if the game is running on UE3

So this is releasing in 2013? And 30 FPS for consoles would rule out next gen, right?

2014...and From already confirmed no next gen port.

Shame too...I just want to play it on ps4 with a bump in framerate, resolution and asset quality.

Depending on when the game releases I could see a next gen version happening

This is such great news being native 60 FPS for PC. The modder's implementation, while better than none, in the original Dark Souls was pretty buggy. All that's left is an announcement that it will be a Steamworks title and From will have redeemed themselves.

Hmmm. That was PC footage they showed yesterday and almost none of it was 60 fps. The shorter trailer has several section where the framerate is in the teens.

Durante

That's great to hear. I hope we also get some HUD options, and maybe even a real AA implementation.

Hmmm. That was PC footage they showed yesterday and almost none of it was 60 fps. The shorter trailer has several section where the framerate is in the teens.
Well, I'm almost certain the video was just 30 FPS, so we wouldn't see it in 60 anyways. Also, regarding drops, development versions are often significantly slower than the final release build, and the game is still quite far off. I wouldn't worry too much (yet!).

Haunted

That's great news.

I'm happy the good sales of the PC version convinced them to properly allocate some resources to make it not suck.

1-D_FTW

Leading development on PC, won't release next gen version for most PC like consoles ever. OK.

It makes sense why you don't announce it, though. You sell on the platforms that are available in mass when it's released and then, next year, when PS4/Xbox5 have bigger install bases, you make the announcement to great fanfare.

Being led on the PC leads me to believe it is also coming to the next Sony and Microsoft systems as well, but they for some reason rather not announce those versions at the moment. Everything we know thus far about the PS4 makes it seem that whatever PC game is out there could be put on the PS4 with ease, and since the next Xbox has a similar architecture it should be the same there.

Sid

The image quality was terrible when they showed the game,I guess they haven't implemented native 720p yet.

Acerac

Banned
No drops in framerate? Does that mean no blighttown this time?

It's become somewhat of a tradition at this point but I can always hope.

Being led on the PC leads me to believe it is also coming to the next Sony and Microsoft systems as well, but they for some reason rather not announce those versions at the moment. Everything we know thus far about the PS4 makes it seem that whatever PC game is out there could be put on the PS4 with ease, and since the next Xbox has a similar architecture it should be the same there.

It's not as simple as just copying it over of course, you still need to deal with the fact that the Windows versions of games use Direct3D which obviously won't be available on the PS4, but I think it's reasonable to expect that if it does well there could be porting done down the line. So much is still unknown about the next consoles, once they totally cease to be moving targets it's going to be a lot easier to answer these questions.

Dorfdepp

Neo Member
Oh my this is awesome. Because of the lazy port, i bought the game a few months later during a sale, but this looks like a day 1 purchase.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Glad to see PC fans are getting the good stuff right from the get go this time.

Zios

Banned
I still have a feeling they will offer the bare minimum options for the pc. 2013, and pc gamers are being insured the game will have 60 fps...lol

It's probably just a modified version of PhyreEngine that they're working with, with some stuff they didn't have for DeS or DkS1. Slowdowns seem to be a problem with that engine for virtually every game that uses it (even Journey could get some nasty drops), so I'd have to think they're optimizing it for consoles so that if it does drop, it won't be during important bits.

if you read the interview.. apparently the engine is from scratch.

It's not as simple as just copying it over of course, you still need to deal with the fact that the Windows versions of games use Direct3D which obviously won't be available on the PS4, but I think it's reasonable to expect that if it does well there could be porting done down the line. So much is still unknown about the next consoles, once they totally cease to be moving targets it's going to be a lot easier to answer these questions.

I thought Mark Cerny or a developer stated that they can write a single piece of code for both PS4 and PC? Could be wrong about that.

I thought Mark Cerny or a developer stated that they can write a single piece of code for both PS4 and PC? Could be wrong about that.

Oh yeah, this could be true for most parts of the game engine, but the rendering engine would need to have multiple options for interacting with the GPU since in Windows the way that you generally talk to the display hardware is using DirectX. Still it's nowhere near like this generation where you need to optimise to a completely distinct CPU architecture for each platform.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I will believe it when I see it.

Their engine was fucked. I had drops below 30 constantly on PC, but when I disabled the framerate lock and manually set it to 30 it was constant. (Except dragon fire on that bridge)

Aguirre

That's great to hear. I hope we also get some HUD options, and maybe even a real AA implementation.

Well, I'm almost certain the video was just 30 FPS, so we wouldn't see it in 60 anyways. Also, regarding drops, development versions are often significantly slower than the final release build, and the game is still quite far off. I wouldn't worry too much (yet!).

is there gonna be a durante edition for pc? would buy day 1 :)

I'm happy for the 60FPS in DS2, but can anyone help me with the FPS unlock in Dark Souls? It always crashes on launch whenever I enable it. :(

Japanese developer going lead on PC? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! That's next-gen in itself!

8PtDJUH.jpg

If there isn't going to be a next-gen version at launch, there's no way I'm buying on current gen console. PC is the only choice for me, especially after seeing how much better Dark Souls looked simply by increasing the resolution.

Top Bottom