• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II leads on PC, confirmed 60fps, 30fps on consoles "no drops", new engine

Ce-Lin

the potential of the Xbox 360 and PS3 has not yet been fully exploited

PS4 and X720 delayed confirmed, 20 years console cycle.

and of course I'll be buying the next-gen PC version, not particularly for the 60 fps but for great IQ at true 1080p.

Mr.Ock

Now that we know that the gameplay footage was from the PC version, how can we expect it to look like on consoles? Framerate aside, do you think the image quality will be on par with what we saw in the footage?

Maztorre

I would be shocked if they didn't bring a game+DLC edition to PS4 and XB3, especially after stating the PC version is their base. The engine powering Dark Souls 2 will likely also power Dark Souls 3, they will simply be massively raising the targeted baseline of a x86 PC-oriented engine from a current-gen console to a next-gen one.

A confirmation of Steamworks will be the icing on the cake now.

scitek

So do you think seeing it in full 1080p and 60fps on PC spurred them into wanting to lead on the PC this time? I'd imagine, being a developer, it could be somewhat satisfying.

Zeliard

So do you think seeing it in full 1080p and 60fps on PC spurred them into wanting to lead on the PC this time? I'd imagine, being a developer, it could be somewhat satisfying.

Their artists created such high-quality textures probably thinking they'd never truly be shown in their full glory. When they saw it looking so good on PC with Durante's res fixes - and especially with supersampling - they must have been over the moon.

Midou

Guess I won't debate which version to get anymore. As long as there is no GFWL on PC, I will get it without hesitation.

Boxart, no GFWL in sight.

DARKS2_PC_PFT_Front1-e1365704062579.jpg

Very nice. News are getting better and better.

After DSII I hope they take a break.

Agreed. They shouldn't deplete all their power with one Souls game after another. The quality would suffer after a certain time.
Armored Core, Ninja Blade 2 or something dull like that for a change.

Ushae

Banned
Hmm so is this a confirmation (or at least a hint) that this game will be available on next gen systems at some point? I really hope so..

:(

robin2

Very good.
Now I just need to be sure the gameplay is all right, I didn't like what they said about backtracking, nor the speedup of the combat (I liked that even the basic grunts posed a threat, while in the gameplay video the grunts looked sort ot like they were handled in a buttonmash-y way; yes I know it is still super-early to make statements).

Kind of a bummer about the no ports for ps4/durango (yet). My OCD is compelling me to get it on ps3 to complete my collection of Souls games, but 60 fps on pc sogood.

I think it was more about the easier development path. PC base can go anywhere with ease now. You can go PS360 and you also set yourself up for a next gen port IF needed since the architectures are similar.

It was the best route they could choose. Very logical one

Hmmm ... 60FPS on PC, playing in bed on consoles .... to double dip or not to double dip.

Actually ... a Wii U Version with Off-TV Play and will get me to triple dip!

takriel

After DSII I hope they take a break.

Why? This is a game designing company we're talking about; the employees' job is to make games. I'm sure the creative team behind the Souls series doesn't stay the same all the time, take the new directors as an example. This series doesn't need a break as far as I'm concerned. DS II isn't out yet, but it looks very promising, so FROM's shown that they're able to create a decent Souls game with new lead developers.

You're probably joking, but I really do hope they completely decoupled the rendering from fixed time slices this time around.

Heh, up for a Ds2Fix with yet another framerate unlocker incase that happens? Or if they don't support native rendering reses beyond 1080p? :D

Great for PCers but what a fail for consoles. I was really hoping for a PS4 port. I can deal with 30fps but the lack of 1080p is highly disappointing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I find it very hard to believe that they completely rebuilt the engine. Let's chalk that up to a funny translation.

Durante

Heh, up for a Ds2Fix with yet another framerate unlocker incase that happens? Or if they don't support native rendering reses beyond 1080p? :D
I'm not that much into 120 FPS, but if they somehow cap it at 1080p, sure. But I don't think that will happen.

I find it very hard to believe that they completely rebuilt the engine. Let's chalk that up to a funny translation.
I agree with this. I also see no reason to start totally from scratch.

Top Bottom