• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II leads on PC, confirmed 60fps, 30fps on consoles "no drops", new engine

Raide

It wouldn't make since to release a game like Dark Souls II, who's series isn't a 10,000,000 seller per iteration, on next gen console due to the fact that there won't be as big of a user base as what's out now. It wouldn't make since for them to fork out extra money for dev kits and waste resources for a game that's not a major system mover even though Dark Souls is a cut above whatever launch titles they've announced so for for next gen systems.

All the same resources, just get Durante to fix it = profit. :p

Grief.exe

Any rumors about release date? I've heard something I don't like: 2014 (was hoping it will be Q4 2013.). That sucks cause I'm selling my PS3 this year and diverting that cash to PS4.

Meh, I guess I'll be getting PC version (which makes me a sad panda cause I'll be missing out on the trophies).

Its looking like they are pretty far along in development.

I'm thinking it will be out by the end of the year.

nbthedude

No GFWL and we have a deal. I skipped DS1 just because of that (since based Durante fixed ress and framerate).

And before anybody tells me how wrong I am, I've got four GFWL games and all them have had save corruption.

Durante fix has auto save back ups.

ElFly

Why would you build a new engine from scratch this late in the generation and not make it next-gen compatible?

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Glad From is learning from their mistakes. If they announce No GFWL, we have a deal for pc version instead of ps3.

Why would you build a new engine from scratch this late in the generation and not make it next-gen compatible?
Because the next-gen engine they built is being used for Hidetaka Miyazaki's game instead, Demon's Souls 2.

Believe.

This guy is seriously saying all the right things today, from a solid PC version to no compromising the game design to chase that Skyrim money.

All that needs to come out of his mouth next is "Steamworks" and it will be a done deal.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
They confirmed servers, right? The busted online + GFWL is the only major downside to Dark Souls.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Wow, this is absolutely fantastic to hear. I'm really excited about this in a big way.

I hope when they say it runs at 60, they actually mean "it runs at whatever frame rate you want" because 120fps treats Dark Souls so well.

I'd upgrade my machine to run this game well.

Foffy

Banned
Woah, the lead version is not PS3? I feel floored. On one hand, it seems consoles made this series, but on the other hand I go with lead versions...

Guess I'll go PC.

ElFly

It wouldn't make sense to release a game like Dark Souls II, who's series isn't a 10,000,000 seller per iteration, on next gen console due to the fact that there won't be as big of a user base as what's out now. It wouldn't make since for them to fork out extra money for dev kits and waste resources for a game that's not a major system mover even though Dark Souls is a cut above whatever launch titles they've announced so for for next gen systems.

Edit: wrong "sense"

Dunno.

Getting a sequel to a critically acclaimed game at launch for a new console may do marvels for the franchise.

Worked for Oblivion at least (for a generous definition of "launch").

Caerith

Dunno.

Getting a sequel to a critically acclaimed game at launch for a new console may do marvels for the franchise.

Worked for Oblivion at least (for a generous definition of "launch").
Agreed, but they'd have to work with a generous definition of launch if the new consoles come out this year.

Man

I'll buy the PS4 version. 1080p @ 60fps.
You say you aren't thinking about it but I don't believe you.

Eusis

I'm normally against too many similar sequels, but I really could do with a "Souls" game every 2 to 3 years. It's not like there is anything else quite like it out there.
Half the problem with samey sequels if it they come too fast and aren't all that distinctive. It's part of why when I play CoD I was OK with skipping Treyarch's games because suddenly that experience was every 2 years, not ever year, and the last two times it was via rental. This would be layering that on top of far more engaging, replayable material, and hasn't been imitating even a quarter as often as CoD, so for now I'm up for more of the same. I do suspect little touches like the fog walls could've been eliminated though, but I guess they serve a purpose for online play.

pa22word

Wait to see whether it's GFWL or something else, it's definitely hacked to hell but that's not necessarily the case if they move to VAC or something like that.

VAC isn't exactly an ideal situation, either. It can actually be a rather frightening one given that it can essentially ban you from playing the game for doing small stuff like changing a config file. If DS1 was a VAC game, Durante almost def wouldn't have been able to salvage it without permanently disabling online play. I'd rather have a home brewed middle ground, but unfortunately no matter how good they seem in the beginning they usually always get cracked on PC. Bleh...

kuppy

Shacknews
A fan petition successfully convinced publisher Namco Bandai and developer From Software to bring Dark Souls to PC. Unfortunately, the final product wasn't particularly polished, with From admitting they were having a "tough time" making the transition from console to PC development. The end result was a direct port that required user-created mods to live up to PC standards.

"A lot of it was not very well done, sort of half-assed," Dark Souls 2 director Yui Tanimura told Shacknews via translator (Tak Miyazoe), while promising a much better experience for the sequel.

"Yes, we will definitely put more priority on the PC. Last time, we started working on PC after the console version was complete," Tanimura explained. "This time, because we are considering the PC from the beginning, you can be sure there will be more care put into PC development."

Whereas the PC version of Dark Souls came out months after the console versions, Dark Souls 2 will launch simultaneously on all platforms. The hands-off demo of Dark Souls 2 that we saw was also running on PC hardware, as well.

This should come as good news to PC fans of the franchise disappointed by the lackluster port of the first game. That release sold "over 300,000 downloads on PC," according to Namco Bandai VP Carlson Choi. Figures like those likely made it incredibly easy for Namco to consider

Sullichin

But you won't be able to downsample as easily as you could with Durante's fix.

Yeah the funny thing about the shitty Dark Souls port is that Durante's fix now has so many options that I wouldn't expect DKS2 PC to have even if it were a competent port.

This is great news. Very cool that they went from being clueless on PC to making it the lead platform. Great to hear it's day one on PC, I didn't want to be tempted into buying it for consoles. I'm glad they didn't wait until the next console generation, I want a new Souls game. And my current PC is my next-gen console of choice anyway until i'm convinced otherwise. Sure, they should take their time making it awesome and cross port it eventually but give me that shit as soon as it goes gold please.

Varna

I'm glad. Instant pre-order if there is no GFWL.

I just think it's pretty hilarious. Going from... um, we can't figure out basic graphic options to lead platform.

Eusis

I agree with this. I also see no reason to start totally from scratch.
I missed the engine conversation earlier, but I think there's two possibilities:

1. PhyreEngine was no longer sufficent for what they wanted, so they either started a new engine they'd build on, or used an engine they were using on other games and co-opted it for Dark Souls 2. The Atelier series had also been using PhyreEngine on PS3 yet switched to the Musou engine for the next game, which seems to indicate there's something about the engine that's fundamentally lacking.

2. The "new engine" is actually just the updated PhyreEngine, likely with them getting to use it early for being a significant developer and because Dark Souls is a valuable enough IP. Or at least some significantly updated version of PhyreEngine that was far more capable for what they wanted to do.

Grief.exe

I missed the engine conversation earlier, but I think there's two possibilities:

1. PhyreEngine was no longer sufficent for what they wanted, so they either started a new engine they'd build on, or used an engine they were using on other games and co-opted it for Dark Souls 2. The Atelier series had also been using PhyreEngine on PS3 yet switched to the Musou engine for the next game, which seems to indicate there's something about the engine that's fundamentally lacking.

2. The "new engine" is actually just the updated PhyreEngine, likely with them getting to use it early for being a significant developer and because Dark Souls is a valuable enough IP. Or at least some significantly updated version of PhyreEngine that was far more capable for what they wanted to do.

I really don't believe them, the engine looks the exact same and they are way too far along in development for a complete engine rewrite.

The DOF looks the same, the base systems look the same, the way they do 'wet' textures looks the same, even Durante noticed that the AO implementation is the same.

I think it must have been something lost in translation.

Sullichin

I really don't believe them, the engine looks the exact same and they are way too far along in development for a complete engine rewrite.

The DOF looks the same, the base systems look the same, the way they do 'wet' textures looks the same, even Durante noticed that the AO implementation is the same.

Yeah I'm guessing it's the same engine with new mo-capped animations & maybe rag doll physics scrapped. It looks like it handles movement on inclined surfaces in the same weird way as before. The lighting looks improved for sure though.

IMO, from what I saw it did not look much like phyre engine in terms of material shaders.
The only ones that looked similar were the metallics. The speculars looked a lot better in this engine...

I am under the impression that is a new engine... hell they are using a different per object motionblur and a "bokeh" style depth of field if you noticed (based upon the way it resolves into focus).
The reason why the depth of field looked similar (that is the always on near camera depth of field) is because they want stylistic continuity with the last games.

It could look exactly like Dark Souls 1 and still be an entirely new engine. Doesn't mean shit.

Grief.exe

It could look exactly like Dark Souls 1 and still be an entirely new engine. Doesn't mean shit.

Yes, but when you are seeing the same issues over and over again its a pretty good indication.

Same DOF, same AO, etc.

Its all speculation at this point, but we have heard time and time again, 'brand new engine' only for it to be a mile iteration over the old one.

params7

Banned
It is going to be on PS4, no chance in hell it won't, even if they are not confirming it now. Dark Souls 2 will be out with PS4 already selling worldwide in stores.

aeolist

Banned
I really wish I wasn't surprised that the developer and publisher learned the right lesson from the laughable shitstorm that was the first game's release on PC.

This is basically like EA making SimCity 6 and going out of their way to point out the improved simulation, larger city size, and offline mode.

Top Bottom