• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II leads on PC, confirmed 60fps, 30fps on consoles "no drops", new engine

fresquito

No GFWL and we have a deal. I skipped DS1 just because of that (since based Durante fixed ress and framerate).

And before anybody tells me how wrong I am, I've got four GFWL games and all them have had save corruption.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You're probably joking, but I really do hope they completely decoupled the rendering from fixed time slices this time around.

Wouldn't it be harder for them to make two modes, 30/60 rather than just doing what you said?

EasyMode

No GFWL and we have a deal. I skipped DS1 just because of that (since based Durante fixed ress and framerate).

And before anybody tells me how wrong I am, I've got four GFWL games and all them have had save corruption.

DSFix has a handy feature that will automatically backup your save file if you enable it. Every 25 minutes, with a history of 10 backups by default.

I'll bet my hat that the game will be capped at 60 hz lol...
Like some of those horrible ubisoft ports are (driver SF etc)

So if you have a 75-100-120 hz monitor you are forced to play at 60 hz.
(which for me and my 85hz native crt monitor is a nono)

feel

Good, hopefully modders unlock it to reach 120fps.

I think there won't be incredible texture work beneath the blurriness to be uncovered this time, they'll sacrifice that for lightning and cape physics and whatnot. The textures looked bad in the demo, surprised that was PC version (and it seemed to run choppy and at 20fps), might be because it's early and it's all temporary.

I'm not that much into 120 FPS, but if they somehow cap it at 1080p, sure. But I don't think that will happen.

I agree with this. I also see no reason to start totally from scratch.
:( :( :(

Hopefully you get a 120hz monitor between now and then if you don't have one.

Grief.exe

We will probably still need Durante.

If that was the PC version they showcased on IGN, then they were still using that very low res DOF effect from DS1.

Could have been stream compression, or they were running it on low settings because of optimization.

LtOrange

No next gen really deflates the hype for me. Never really enjoyed the PC experience of dark souls but if it my only option I will give it a go.

1-D_FTW

Variable resolution on consoles?

Also, PS4 porting more and more feasible, probable and reasonable?

Yes. It just makes no sense to announce it now. They won't have decent install bases till 2014. Plus you'll get some double dips this way. The odds of it not being released on the next gen consoles hovers at around zero percent. But from a business standpoint, it makes sense to go the route they're going.

Yes. It just makes no sense to announce it now. They won't have decent install bases till 2014. Plus you'll get some double dips this way. The odds of it not being released on the next gen consoles hovers at around zero percent. But from a business standpoint, it makes sense to go the route they're going.

Fucking Namco

Jawmuncher

I think I might jump on the PC for Dark Souls 2.
Was at first thinking about the base, but then again the PC base seems pretty die hard as well. So i'm sure there would be plenty of players available.

SJRB

Gold Member
Was at first thinking about the base, but then again the PC base seems pretty die hard as well. So i'm sure there would be plenty of players available.

PC is hacked to hell though.

Firehead

Naaaaah.
iXzCUCYjz27TX.jpg
:)

Seance

Banned
No next gen... Gotta go with PC version again. Loved DS at 1080p60 but the multiplayer is pretty awful. I hope From support the PC thus time.

PC is hacked to hell though.

Wait to see whether it's GFWL or something else, it's definitely hacked to hell but that's not necessarily the case if they move to VAC or something like that.

Aw. Yiss.

jaosobno

Any rumors about release date? I've heard something I don't like: 2014 (was hoping it will be Q4 2013.). That sucks cause I'm selling my PS3 this year and diverting that cash to PS4.

Meh, I guess I'll be getting PC version (which makes me a sad panda cause I'll be missing out on the trophies).

Momentary

Banned
It wouldn't make sense to release a game like Dark Souls II, who's series isn't a 10,000,000 seller per iteration, on next gen console due to the fact that there won't be as big of a user base as what's out now. It wouldn't make since for them to fork out extra money for dev kits and waste resources for a game that's not a major system mover even though Dark Souls is a cut above whatever launch titles they've announced so for for next gen systems.

Edit: wrong "sense"

Zaventem

It wouldn't make since to release a game like Dark Souls II, who's series isn't a 10,000,000 seller per iteration, on next gen console due to the fact that there won't be as big of a user base as what's out now. It wouldn't make since for them to fork out extra money for dev kits and waste resources for a game that's not a major system mover even though Dark Souls is a cut above whatever launch titles they've announced so for for next gen systems.

I think they want people to double dip.You'll probably see the "prepare to die" version on next gen consoles.Besides why would you miss out on the early community?

Top Bottom