• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

I've killed him 3 times now helping others. But when I summon I get the most incompetent players. UGH.

edit: On the agility from the previous page, I find the rolling to dodge easier now.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The devs obviously want people to keep leveling and leveling forever, hence the somewhat crazy stat requirements on some of the DLC equips. Builds are a thing of a distant past, and limiting your SL to a particular meta has mostly been abandoned as well. It's pretty damn sad for the PVP scene, and the most interesting PVP fights that I can nowadays find are under 1mil SM.

Tying rolls to a stat falls into the same category as the whole concept of SM: Might work on paper but is patently horrible in practice. Having heavily armored guys almost-fatroll through and into your attacks with high iframes is extremely jarring when a naked SL1 guy with fast rolls the length of a Washing Pole can't dodge anything. And that's before we get into "shockwaves" -territory.

Edit: Fun timey trickery video!

Is that the guy that murdered some dude's Straid with alluring skulls? What a dick move. Also fuck the devs for that room. Real smart fucking design job there. Gotta spend time despawning them every playthrough.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Brightbug... what the heck? I can swear I've beaten this game 20x times and never seen this woman sell an item called Brightbug... what's going on here? Something related to the DLC?

NEO0MJ

With one partner. I had a few in a row that just couldn't dodge whereas I'm pretty good at dodging all of his attacks now as long as someone else is there to distract him just in case lol

For shame. You bring ultimate dishonor to your family ( -_-)

Brightbug... what the heck? I can swear I've beaten this game 20x times and never seen this woman sell an item called Brightbug... what's going on here? Something related to the DLC?

Yeah, new item with the DLC. Never used it personally, though.

Mistel

Banned
First dlc added them she now sells them through the game and gradual replenishes stock whilst increasing price. Gives 20% increased damage and 20% damage taken for two minuites
Is that the guy that murdered some dude's Straid with alluring skulls? What a dick move. Also fuck the devs for that room. Real smart fucking design job there. Gotta spend time despawning them every playthrough.
That was someone else.

Is that the guy that murdered some dude's Straid with alluring skulls? What a dick move.

The most dickish move I saw was this invader in Aerie that found the player AFK next to the herald. He couldn't see the Herald outright, but there was a ghostly image of her. The player happened to be wearing the Old Sun Ring. He attacked the player to cause AOE damage to Herald. Used warmth to keep the player alive and kept attacking until Herald was dead.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The most dickish move I saw was this invader in Aerie that found the player AFK next to the herald. He couldn't see the Herald outright, but there was a ghostly image of her. The player happened to be wearing the Old Sun Ring. He attacked the player to cause AOE damage to Herald. Used warmth to keep the player alive and kept attacking until Herald was dead.

Yeah I've seen that one.

Ruuppa

Unless I remember totally wrong, the guy I linked only does general trolling and shenanigans, not horrible stuff like killing NPCs. Doesn't seem to use SillyScript or stuff like that either.

But stats no longer matter thanks to Soul Memory, so everyone can have as much in any stat they want. Not even sure why they bothered having stat requirements on weapons any more tbh since they went this way.

As I said, having to trade dexterity, strength, intelligence, etc. for some I-frames works during the early stages of the game. There's a point during the game (before Drangleic Castle) when that doesn't apply anymore but by that time new players are more experienced and they won't be victims of griefers (which is exactly what I've been saying).

Stats do matter, as a matter of fact one of my characters' SL is around 230 and yet It doesn't have the stats required for dual wielding one of the weapons I like, and if I reach that level and try to play like that I could be easily destroyed by magic and dark builds because of my stats. A situation like the one you describe requires a character with a SL of 300 or even more, someone who invest a lot of time playing the game, not something that you can achieve from the very beginning.

Mistel

Banned
Stats do matter, as a matter of fact one of my characters' SL is around 230 and yet It doesn't have the stats required for dual wielding one of the weapons I like, and if I reach that level and try to play like that I could be easily destroyed by magic and dark builds because of my stats.
At what stats are you at now, and what are you trying to dual wield where that becomes an issue? Only dual smelter hammers with 99STR is really a high investment of stats.

Ivory King DLC is great. That moment when I realized
the charred knights were not, in fact, the boss. Ouch. Gathering up the remaining knights and coming back was so satisfying.

Now, onward to the snow horses!

At what stats are you at now, and what are you trying to dual wield where that becomes an issue? Only dual smelter hammers with 99STR is really a high investment of stats.

It's not an "issue" at all, I was just giving an example using one of my characters as an excuse. I use a lighting mastodon greatsword at 48 STR, 47 DEX (because I like the move set of the Flexile sentry's greatsword as well) and 46 FTH. My INT is just 8 so I need to carry a good shield as well or I'd be in trouble if I fight characters that rely a lot on magic and dark spells. Before someone asks: I don't actively do PVP, I prefer coop instead.

Mistel

Banned
It's not an "issue" at all, I was just giving an example using one of my characters as an excuse. I use a lighting mastodon greatsword at 48 STR, 47 DEX (because I like the move set of the Flexile sentry's greatsword as well) and 46 FTH. My INT is just 8 so I need to carry a good shield as well or I'd be in trouble if I fight characters that rely a lot on magic and dark spells. Before someone asks: I don't actively do PVP, I prefer coop instead.
That seems a bit facetious an example personally. That seems more related to your own abilities that that of your stats.

Ruuppa

Are you talking about normal missile spells, or funkier stuff like Homing Soulmass to Soul Greatsword -setup spells? Without bad lag, which happens really often I admit, most spells that aren't setups are pretty easy to roll through.

The only spell that I can think that's really hard to dodge is Forbidden Sun, because it's really fast and has a big hitbox.

You don't PVP much, so I guess you're not used to the timing for the dodges. What Agility are you rolling with?

That seems a bit facetious an example personally. That seems more related to your own abilities that that of your stats.

Of course it is, but you're missing my point: I said that stats do matter when another user said they don't because of SM; reaching the point when the benefits of leveling up does not matter anymore requires that you've played the game for several hours and your SL be like 300 (or even more), That's why I gave my character's stats as an example, and the example applies because if I'm a bad player (as you suggest :p) it doesn't matter that my stats allow me to reach power stance with a couple of smelter demon's clubs, I'd lose against a regular magic build player.

Are you talking about normal missile spells, or funkier stuff like Homing Soulmass to Soul Greatsword -setup spells? Without bad lag, which happens really often I admit, most spells that aren't setups are pretty easy to roll through.

The only spell that I can think that's really hard to dodge is Forbidden Sun, because it's really fast and has a big hitbox.

You don't PVP much, so I guess you're not used to the timing for the dodges. What Agility are you rolling with?

ADP is 22, ATN is 25. I'm sorry I cannot give you the name of the spells because I actually don't know: I think I've said this before too but my game is in Japanese and I cannot change that (I play on a Japanese 360). Of course I can dodge spells unless the lag says I can't, but I recall losing 70-75% of my health fighting against a magic user even after I raised my shield (and it was just one spell). Sometimes I can eat some damage if that means I can kill another player, but I'm aware of my weakness against spells and hexes.

Ruuppa

ADP is 22, ATN is 25. I'm sorry I cannot give you the name of the spells because I actually don't know: I think I've said this before too but my game is in Japanese and I cannot change that (I play on a Japanese 360). Of course I can dodge spells unless the lag says I can't, but I recall losing 70-75% of my health fighting against a magic user even after I raised my shield (and it was just one spell). Sometimes I can eat some damage if that means I can kill another player, but I'm aware of my weakness against spells and hexes.

Unless you're using a shield with high elemental resistances, yeah. It ain't gonna help much. Rebel's Greatshield (反逆の大盾) is amazing if you only want something good to use against magic users, but is a Greatshield. For something lighter, I can recommend the Magic Shield (マジックシールド), which has outstanding Magic reduction and really good reduction on all other elements.

But yeah, rolling is often the best choice if you can get the hang of it.

Mistel

Banned
Of course it is, but you're missing my point: I said that stats do matter when another user said they don't because of SM; reaching the point when the benefits of leveling up does not matter anymore requires that you've played the game for several hours and your SL be like 300 (or even more), That's why I gave my character's stats as an example, and the example applies because if I'm a bad player (as you suggest :p) it doesn't matter that my stats allow me to reach power stance with a couple of smelter demon's clubs, I'd lose against a regular magic build player
They do not matter due to SM, that is literally what you just wrote there saying that you could be able to dual wield smelter hammers and loose to a basic magic build. That is solely your ability in question not that of the stats. Stats are universal in the sense that everyone has from 1-99 in each stat and the effects they entail based on investment in each. Ability is not universal.

Woof, I had forgotten how unforgiving Sinh is in regards to weapon durability. I was able to hit him just eight times with my Pursuer's UGS (60 durability total) and then it was almost broken at 3 durability!

I never experienced that problem personally and I was in NG+. I killed him with my power-stanced KUGSs. Took a long time and multiple attempts, but he's my favourite Dargon fight :D.

But stats no longer matter thanks to Soul Memory, so everyone can have as much in any stat they want. Not even sure why they bothered having stat requirements on weapons any more tbh since they went this way.

I think they did both to avoid twinkers. Stat requirements force you to level up, and SM stops people from being SL 1 from invading lowbies and wrecking them that twinking thing in Undead Parish was insufferable. I ended up using one of my characters from NG++ to obliterate them, used Manus catalyst with like 3 sets of Dark Bead and 2 sets of Pursuers and just killed them :p. It got to the point where they would invade, see my name, and black crystal out heh.

Unless you're using a shield with high elemental resistances, yeah. It ain't gonna help much. Rebel's Greatshield (反逆の大盾) is amazing if you only want something good to use against magic users, but is a Greatshield. For something lighter, I can recommend the Magic Shield (マジックシールド), which has outstanding Magic reduction and really good reduction on all other elements.

But yeah, rolling is often the best choice if you can get the hang of it.

I often use the shield the guys in the undead crypt have(sorry for the bad description, I'll search for its real name) it has like 80% damage reduction against dark and 70%+ against magic. If I go to defend the bells I'd usually wear a ring that increase my magic defense too, just in case.

They do not matter due to SM, that is literally what you just wrote there saying that you could be able to dual wield smelter hammers and loose to a basic magic build. That is solely your ability in question not that of the stats. Stats are universal in the sense that everyone has from 1-99 in each stat and the effects they entail based on investment in each. Ability is not universal.

I don't agree here. Perhaps I'm not explaining myself clearly: what I'm trying to say here is if I'm at 99str and somehow I'm just at 8int my defense against magic must be around 56, and against dark it may be 48 (which is more or less my actual defense against those), if I'm a bad player and I'm trying to balance that by wielding 2 heavy weapons and I just suck at rolling then I can lose 75% of my health bar by receiving a couple of magic/dark attacks; perhaps after noticing that i keep leveling until my magic and dark defense is high enough that I can eat a couple of hits and lose just 40% of my health, but to do that I actually have to invest a lot of souls leveling up, it's not something that you can do at low SM or SL, that's how even if you are a bad player stats do matter.

Mistel

Banned
but to do that I actually have to invest a lot of souls leveling up, it's not something that you can do at low SM or SL, that's how even if you are a bad player stats do matter.
That ignores the defenses added armor among several other things like the fact you've got to the point where you need 99 STR, enough END and VIG to carry and even do anything with a pair of smelter hammers means your likely to be a high SL which is independent from what your actual SM is.

Ruuppa

I often use the shield the guys in the undead crypt have(sorry for the bad description, I'll search for its real name) it has like 80% damage reduction against dark and 70%+ against magic. If I go to defend the bells I'd usually wear a ring that increase my magic defense too, just in case.

Probably this one then,
UCCDYM7.png

and if so, you're pretty well off. Thought you were using one of the physical 100% shields since you got hit through it for three quarters of your health. This one can actually get 100% magic defense if you infuse it with Magic, but the infusion lowers other elemental defenses. If you want Dark protection, getting the Transgressor's Leather Shield
l1qF2fX.png

from Wellager (the ghost merchant in Castle Drangleic) and infusing it with Dark gets you 100% Dark reduction.

Probably this one then,
UCCDYM7.png

and if so, you're pretty well off. Thought you were using one of the physical 100% shields since you got hit through it for three quarters of your health. This one can actually get 100% magic defense if you infuse it with Magic, but the infusion lowers other elemental defenses. If you want Dark protection, getting the Transgressor's Leather Shield
l1qF2fX.png

from Wellager (the ghost merchant in Castle Drangleic) and infusing it with Dark gets you 100% Dark reduction.

It's the Silverblack shield, just found it on the wiki

silverblack-shield-lg.png

I actually like its design too.

I think they did both to avoid twinkers. Stat requirements force you to level up, and SM stops people from being SL 1 from invading lowbies and wrecking them that twinking thing in Undead Parish was insufferable. I ended up using one of my characters from NG++ to obliterate them, used Manus catalyst with like 3 sets of Dark Bead and 2 sets of Pursuers and just killed them :p. It got to the point where they would invade, see my name, and black crystal out heh.

I knew that some day I'd find someone that agrees with me about that. This is actually the one thing I keep saying every time someone says SM sucks.

That ignores the defenses added armor among several other things like the fact you've got to the point where you need 99 STR, enough END and VIG to carry and even do anything with a pair of smelter hammers means your likely to be a high SL which is independent from what your actual SM is.

SL is not totally independent of SM: a high SM player will most likely be a high SL player (A high SM player is actually more experienced in DS II that what his actual SL says he/she is). Fortunately as DarkHeartedKill pointed out SM doesn't work if you decide not to level up. That is actually what I said until another user quoted me saying SM made stats pointless, which is something I don't agree with.

Yeah game is much more exciting now that you can play a full NG cycle without a single invasion.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not D:. You can still be invaded, just it's less likely as you can't buy unlimited orbs. However, you can farm them from those boars in Majula. Also with everyone being vulnerable to invasions you now actually have a smaller percent chance to be invaded. Someone also told me the more hollow you are the lower you are on the list to be invade.

I have a bit of a love hate with the invasions personally I feel it should have been either no invasions when hollow, or no invasions when the boss is dead instead of making you vulnerable to invasions in both scenarios.

Anyone using the Vessel shield. I am using it exclusively now for 2H weapons. It's like giving your character a 14 level boost. Great for Mundane and Quality builds.

This is actually the one thing I keep saying every time someone says SM sucks.
We all know that was a main reason for SM being introduced, but we're also saying (every time) the tradeoffs weren't worth it, and there are other ways of achieving the same result of eradicating or greatly reducing the number of SL1 twinks without destroying everything else that SM destroys.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not D:. You can still be invaded, just it's less likely as you can't buy unlimited orbs. However, you can farm them from those boars in Majula. Also with everyone being vulnerable to invasions you now actually have a smaller percent chance to be invaded. Someone also told me the more hollow you are the lower you are on the list to be invade.

I have a bit of a love hate with the invasions personally I feel it should have been either no invasions when hollow, or no invasions when the boss is dead instead of making you vulnerable to invasions in both scenarios.

When you whine about invasions, your invasion rate should increase.

We all know that was a main reason for SM being introduced, but we're also saying (every time) the tradeoffs weren't worth it, and there are other ways of achieving the same result of eradicating or greatly reducing the number of SL1 twinks without destroying everything else that SM destroys.

Soul Memory-based matching in NG, then Soul Level-based matching for NG+ and beyond. Done, ship it!

Also, why the hell are cracked orbs so pricey? In Dark Souls they were 3000 a pop but now they're 10k each! It's slightly demoralising when an invasion goes badly and I think, "well, that was 10,000 souls well spent!" Especially after they patched in lower soul rewards for winning invasions it can be hard to come up with a decent number of souls if you're just doing PVP.

thefil

Just finished Ivory King to cap off my first DLC playthrough.

These DLC were amazing. If they could have cut out a big chunk of the main game and inserted these as required content as the second half of the game (ala the soul fragments in DS1) DS2 would undoubtedly be the superior game. I'm so impressed with the variety of gameplay elements introduced, variations on boss design, and even narrative theme.

I wish games were as easy to edit as video. I would make a leaner cut of DS2.

When you whine about invasions, your invasion rate should increase.

In that case my invasion rate would be so high I'd spend more time being invaded than actually progressing ;~;.

Arghhhhh!!!! why 50 Loyce souls? Why not just 25?

I've been here all night and I just got less than 10 -__-

Put down your summon sign and help the host. You have a much higher drop rate as a phantom, also wearing Symbol of Avarice and Gold Serpent ring +2 helps immensely. Not to mention you get a whole lot of souls, which can help you level up very quickly.

In that case my invasion rate would be so high I'd spend more time being invaded than actually progressing ;~;.

Put down your summon sign and help the host. You have a much higher drop rate as a phantom, also wearing Symbol of Avarice and Gold Serpent ring +2 helps immensely. Not to mention you get a whole lot of souls, which can help you level up very quickly.

That's exactly what I've been doing =/

Is this for real or is it some creative modder or photoshop? I would love to see someone take that on solo and win.

If it is for real. This is the best Easter Egg and From are the best trolls of their playerbase.

I saw it on reddit. Not sure if it's a shop or mod. The poster just linked the picture.

There's a new Ganksquad when all the map room flames turn blue.

H76kMg4.jpg
I don't feel safe anymore...I'm going to go cry in the corner.
That's quite scary and exciting at the same time.

BTW, I thought the Charred Loyce Knights didn't despawn? It seems they disappeared from my game =/

Does anyone know if I'd keep my current Loyce Souls if I go to NG+? =/
Not sure if they completely despawn,although it would make sense. I would just keep dropping your sign and get summoned. Maybe even message/speak to the host or other phantom and see if they have some to spare :p. If you were in NG+ I'd give you mine.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

Is this for real or is it some creative modder or photoshop? I would love to see someone take that on solo and win.

If it is for real. This is the best Easter Egg and From are the best trolls of their playerbase.

It looks modded and an unwinnable fight (even if its not modded), because I have never seen FROM get down to the level of not designing that area to accommodate those three big enemies.

If one looks at the individual fights of three bosses, you can see that FROM actually put very large arena's for all three of them.

NEO0MJ

It looks modded and an unwinnable fight (even if its not modded), because I have never seen FROM get down to the level of not designing that area to accommodate those three big enemies.

If one looks at the individual fights of three bosses, you can see that FROM actually put very large arena's for all three of them.

Ivory King probably doesn't even need to move from the middle of the stage, just stand there and swing his light saber.

Ruuppa

Ivory King probably doesn't even need to move from the middle of the stage, just stand there and swing his light saber.

Considering their size and what arena that is, they could very easily get glitched and stuck in the terrain. Totally winnable, 10/10.
Not sure if they completely despawn,although it would make sense. I would just keep dropping your sign and get summoned. Maybe even message/speak to the host or other phantom and see if they have some to spare :p. If you were in NG+ I'd give you mine.

Can you even drop them? I think you can only discard them.

50 Loyce farming promotes cheesy tactics to avoid SM bloat and to keep it faster: Just Black Crystal out of the host's world after killing the initial waves of Loyce Knights. It's really dickish if the host wants to kill the boss, but that farming is.. Something else.
Saw lots of people do this when I was farming for them, hosts did it as well.

NEO0MJ

Considering their size and what arena that is, they could very easily get glitched and stuck in the terrain. Totally winnable, 10/10.

Unless from shrinks their bodies! They could keep the weapon sizes the same, they'll just clip through walls after all.

When is the DLC likely to drop in price?

Depending on platform. At least once at December for steam but I have no idea about how PSN and XBL will handle it.

Top Bottom