• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, maybe I'm wrong here. Expected an actual spell to be stronger than a consumable but hey, dark souls 2!
The numbers are wrong. Resin adds 50 dark damage to the weapon not AR, and the dark weapon dark bonus is (original dark damage + 50) x 1.25 so dark weapon does more.

krakov

The numbers are wrong. Resin adds 50 dark damage to the weapon not AR, and the dark weapon dark bonus is (original dark damage + 50) x 1.25 so dark weapon does more.

Is there are difference?
The wiki says resin adds 30% dark damage as well, but idk. I guess you generally can't use resins on infused weapons anyways.

Mistel

Banned
Is there are difference?
The wiki says resin adds 30% dark damage as well, but idk. I guess you generally can't use resins on infused weapons anyways.
The add 30% damage thing is wrong. There's a fair bit of difference between damage and AR that means that they're not synonymous.

ilium

after the very limited testing i've done with 50/60/60 and 99/40/40 the latter seems to be worse in damage actually.
that was in PvE. i wonder if more dark damage might be an advantage for PvP?

all that split damage min max stuff makes my head hurt.. @@

does anyone want to trade me a drakekeeper's great hammer?
psn ng+ max tier

Mistel

Banned
I wonder if more dark damage might be an advantage for PvP?

all that split damage min max stuff makes my head hurt.. @@
Not particularity helpful you've got lot of variety on the defense front and you're still got the split damage to contend with.
Ok, is the difference secret or something? feel free to tell us about it.
Damage is basically what it deals pre a scaling say a drakekeepers warpick for example has 420 damage and A STR scaling at max AR is what it has post scaling application in this case an AR of 610 with 99STR. Pretty simple really.

ilium

did some more testing on the hollows in things betwixt:

99/40/40

Dark SCH + dark weapon

r1 - 761 dmg
backstab - 1142

SCH + resin

r1 - 734
backstab - 1102

I need a coffee for this.

Of course there are other fragments that would come in the future of the game out there but the point with Nashandra is she is still the first fragment to set in motion the harvesting plot of the king souls and "break the circle" in game but by the adition of the DLC she is falling apart to be first one and the whole point of the vanilla game falls apart in terms of lore

Indeed, we need some coffee, I read your reply yesterday but it was a little too late to reply to you. I must say that one of the things I love about these games is how everyone has different interpretations of the story, that being said whatever I write here is just my interpretation of the lore.

I agree that Nashandra is the first fragment of Manus that took form (it's stated in the game) but I'm not sure she's the first one to set in motion the events that led to Drangleic's demise before her "sisters" would do something similar to other kingdoms, in fact, the DLC shows that that was not the case.

Also, I think the whole "breaking the cycle" thing was not planned by Nashandra, but Vendrick. Vendrick did everything he could to avoid to light the first flame. We know that he harvested the power of the souls of the old ones (Shalquoir and Chancellor Wellager say so) but at some point he abandoned that path and the souls of Nito, Gwyn, etc. merged with other beings after that. I believe that at some point Vendrick realized lighting the first flame would just strengthen the curse ( item descriptions say that when the flames grow stronger, so does the curse). Making the curse stronger would just benefit Nashandra in my opinion, so breaking the cycle wasn't in her interest, in fact, she wants the player to take the throne (and light the first flame, which is located in the kiln of the first flame).

In Sunken King, Drangelic was the culprit in decimating Shulva habitant, In Iron King they tried to scavenge the black Iron but failed to only damage one efigy of the ashe lady yet she didnt know her "sisters" were already setting in motion their planes or aware the player encounter dark being out there, not even the abyss covenant leader is aware of the abyss chasms in the DLC.

It looks like by ending the game and looking at nashandra's items the new devs in charge of DS is trying to use manus fragments as a plot device to keep the game alive which is a lazy tactic to keep the plot running while you are looking for a sustancial plot to keep the series going but for what purpose?

Ending the game is pointless since you are stuck in the cicles the devs created to make more games so there is no significative consecuences in this game.

I know we have to be very careful with some of the translations since it's been shown by Vaatividya that there were several errors during the translation of the game. In fact, in the description of the Dragonrider Greatshield it says that Vendrick destroyed inhabitants of the previous land erecting a magnificent kingdom (Drangleic) upon their graves, and I thought that the game made reference to the 3 kingdoms we saw in the DLC, we now know that he actually failed to conquered those 3 kingdoms, and that he attempted to conquer one of them by sending golems, and since the golems were created after he attacked the giants, that lead me to believe that the kingdom Vendrick conquered (the one that was in Drangleic's place) is not the one of the Sunken king, nor the one of the Ivory King or the one of the Old Iron King, or perhaps his forces just couldn't take down the castles/capitals of those kingdoms.

What I do think is lazy is relying on the cycle to keep the story going over and over again, but while I could be totally wrong here, I don't think FromSoft will do that. I believe in the first game we saw the beginning of the very first cycle (alternatively, Gwyn hurling himself into the flames could be the end of the first cycle and what happens in DS one is actually the second cycle), and in DS II we were shown how Vendrick is trying to stop the cycle, but ultimately failing; he needs the power of the other kings and perhaps that is his last resource to get rid of the curse; his forces failed to retrieve the souls/crowns of the previous kings, but you the player succeeded and with the power of 4 kings and his crowns you cannot be taken by the curse at the end; it's totally plausible that Vendrick himself was the closest to achieve that since he actually kept the curse at bay using a powerful soul (according to the game), but in the end, tired and desperate, he just locked himself in the Undead Crypt and sent the Emerald Herald to search for the next monarch, something she couldn't achieve while the king was still sane (and that would explain why she says she failed to break the curse).

Unlike Humans they born with their own flames part of the original flame but Pygmy knew the humans would not survive alone or being hunted/slaved by the other lords so he gave them his Dark Soul but humans were unaware of their potential so Gwyn used them as a fuel for the bonfires but later own humans developed their own potencial of manipulating the souls (Int) and use their devotion of the gods as a source of power (faith).

Pygmy knew the era of the flame will end and the humans were the one of the few creatures that could survive the dark without being heavily corrupted like the other lords of the souls, maybe pygmy was a human too.

I think I agree with you here.

The problem is the game script tied the child of the dark as fragments of manus while Darklurker could be a human with the same fate as the four kings and Elana being a Hollowed human using her dark soul for her own prupose to begin the era of dark.

The game says that Elana is a fragment of the abyss, in fact it says that
"When the Abyss dissipated, the things that called it home were fragmented and scattered across the realm. Eventually, these pieces regained form, in ways that hinted at humanity's true nature"

so I think Elana is either a fragment of Manus or something that was born in the abyss and took human form too.

Guess we have differrent definitions of "Happy"

Well, I explained a little bit why I think the ending in the DLC is a happy one. Our character breaks the cycle now that he/she cannot be taken by the curse. If he finds out how to share this power with all humans he may be able to save all of them, of course that's the best scenario, it could also be possible that he cannot transfer this power to others, and he could become the only being capable of Inherit the fire and harness the dark.

KdylanR92

So after what seems like 50 tries i finally beat the smelter demon by myself and got better at rolling in the process, this is my first playthrough of any of the games, its been rough:[

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I finally did it. NG+ no death/no bonfire with a NG++ final fight. Had several close calls on Watcher and Defender but the Black Witch Robes and Dark Quartz Ring +3 made Nashandra's laser beams much less scary.

Sande

After way too many attempts I managed to get the Illusory Ring of a Conqueror. I finally feel like I beat the game. It was pretty smooth sailing overall. I think I was the closest to dying against the group of nobodies at the bottom of the Gutter right before Black Gulch. It's crazy that some skinny hollows do more damage than almost any other enemy in the game.

I finally did it. NG+ no death/no bonfire with a NG++ final fight. Had several close calls on Watcher and Defender but the Black Witch Robes and Dark Quartz Ring +3 made Nashandra's laser beams much less scary.

Wait, you did both in the same playthrough? Holy crap that makes it even more rewarding.

Prepare for Bloodborne!
.Dragonslayer Crescent Axe
.Heavy Crossbow

Dark Souls 1 is the best way to Cosplay for Bloodborne anticipation:

tumblr_mnm47hFC8D1qbhxtxo3_r1_500.png

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

that was quick! impressive.

Yeah same playthrough. Only touched the majula bonfire at the start and used that as my warp point.

Ooo you can use the Majula one? That's a neat note. Did you ever light bonfires or did you leave them unlit so you could Feather back to Majula?

Probably a daft question but what does the little symbol that sometimes appears next to people's health bars in co-op mean?

I think you only see it if both of you have voice chat enabled. So if you see it that means they can hear you, just a heads up.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ooo you can use the Majula one? That's a neat note. Did you ever light bonfires or did you leave them unlit so you could Feather back to Majula?

I think you only see it if both of you have voice chat enabled. So if you see it that means they can hear you, just a heads up.

I only lit Majula. You can light them once and thats it cause then youd have to sit at it. If I fucked up and just light some other bonfire out of reflex I would have gone and lit the Things Betwixt one instead. I could have lit the one before the final boss but I was all in. The run back after dying once wouldnt have been hard anyways, since at that point no bonfire is easy.

I only lit Majula. You can light them once and thats it cause then youd have to sit at it. If I fucked up and just light some other bonfire out of reflex I would have gone and lit the Things Betwixt one instead. I could have lit the one before the final boss but I was all in. The run back after dying once wouldnt have been hard anyways, since at that point no bonfire is easy.

How did you cope with durability loss on that run. No bonfires would make it tricky.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's crazy how hard it is for me to get a summon off

can't even be summoned on the new dlc with my new game character

it's weird cos i do see messages so it's not something net related

is the community dead or something?

it's crazy how hard it is for me to get a summon off

can't even be summoned on the new dlc with my new game character

it's weird cos i do see messages so it's not something net related

is the community dead or something?

Depends on your SM and your NG to be honest. If you're in NG with a super high SM you're likely not going to be summoned because NG and NG+ are separated for Co-op and Invasions. Also, most people don't summon at high SMs because they can usually solo the fight, depending on the boss. I'd say the best places to co-op would be these. Spoilers of Bosses and what makes them difficult, imo:
Throne Defender/Watcher since the duo can be tricky to fight solo.
Elana since her summoning Valsdet can turn the tides of battle..
Sinh since he does massive weapon durability damage and it can be difficult for melee, Fume Knight since he is relentless and hardly gives you breathing space.
Alonne since he mixes up his attacks form quick to slow and can sometimes be hard to know when to roll.
Old Iron King because that small platform his his tendency to knock people into that lava pool near the fog gate
Burnt Ivory King Since dealing with all the gauntlets plus the boss fight can be overwhelming for some people
The First kitteh Since it's a change form humanoid enemies and it's a lot harder to dodge him, plus he has attacks that get you if you're too close, medium range, and far away. plus he runs away a lot.
Duo kittehs The area itself is good to get summoned in, and the boss is even more likely since one was bad enough, but two? DAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN.
Shrine of Amana That place is a bitch for melee characters, homing soul arrows following you every which way is annoying.
Smelter 2.0The way to him is super irritating, and he is considerably harder than the first Smelter Demon in my opinion.

People can change or add to it if they disagree.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Lots of summoning the
Dragon Shrine but unfortunately its only really good for small soapstone cause of the boss at the end. Even if you know the easy strat the host likely wont and will get you both killed.

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm at 1.5m in ng. i avoided most optional bosses, didn't place signs and beaten the main game with like <10 deaths. only time i "farmed" was at brighstone cos i have arachnophobia and i don't like the spiders falling off the ceiling at the third bonfire

anyways, i beat
aava
easily tbh but i wanted to try and get summoned to avoid using effigies and nobody was summoning

i barely see any signs to summon either

it's a pity cos the online was one of my favorite aspects about dks2

What is the best dagger now that mundane has been nerfed into the ground?

Possibly the Mail Breaker? It's a thrusting sword but the crits were crazy high like other daggers before the patch and its heavy attacks pierce shields. I haven't used it since the patch, so it was possibly nerfed along with the other daggers.

Still a handy weapon to have on you even without the crazy crits.

---

Edit: I put my sign down in front of the first boss door in the third DLC and so many people would pick me up and then want to go the other way and try and complete the level. I thought the positioning of my sign would make my intentions obvious but I guess other people don't think that way.

There's things that deal higher backstab damage than it though?

I'm guessing, but I imagine it's because the Old Whip probably shares the quick punch that the daggers do before a backstab. Greatswords and the like have that slower tap where the character looks like they're hitting the opponent with their elbow. With the quick punch you are able to chase opponents who have rolled away and actually catch them mid-roll with the backstab.

---

I nearly shed a tear on the Iron Keep bridge today as a host tried to golf swing me and another phantom over the edge. I got out of the way but the other phantom got hit and he barely left the ground :( I will never let Ultra Great weapons die! They have both 'ultra' and 'great' in their names, so they must be good!

http://a.pomf.se/lkskyb.webm

Ruuppa

Low damage but quite potent backstabs and can't be infused with anything. Got S DEX scaling though and has mytha's moveset with a unique move thrown in .

More potent backstabs than from the Old Whip? Or Dagger -level damage?

--

Okay, so I've been thinking about a NG No Bonfire/No Death route, and after some tries how does this sound:

Explorer, Healing Wares
-Grab Resin from behind Ogre
-Majula, light bonfire
-Forest of Giants, buy 1 or 2 Clubs (2 if you can afford it, 1 if you plan to come back after Last Giant) and a couple of Firebombs from Melentia, grab Small Leather Shield and Light Crossbow
Kill Last Giant with Ooze
Kill Pursuer with parryballista

-Lost Bastile, grab the Silver Serpent Ring, Resin and open up the blacksmith for titanite and bullets
Kill Sentinels
-Grab Bracing Knuckle Ring
Kill Lost Sinner and Primal Bonfire to Majula
-Open up Lenigrast, level up so you can use a Rapier later, level Agility to 100, buy Cat Ring
-Heide
Make Dragonrider slip off the platform
-Chat with Licia
Kill Old Dragonslayer for the ring, Bone back to Majula
-Buy a Rapier or a couple, reinforce one as high as you can
-Jump down the well, get to the Rotten
Kill the Rotten with Rapier, Old Leo Ring and some Resin
-Go run through the DLC, get Flynn's Ring and Bone out
(Not sure which is better here: Iron King or Freja)
Kill Skeleton Lords
-Get Oi! Oi! -merchant, grab the free Chunk and stuff
Kill Covetous Demon
-Buy about 15 Oozes from Gilligan
Kill Mytha
-Buy Fragrant Branch if needed, slowly walk through IK
Kill Iron King and Primal back to Majula
-Level up, buy Lifegems and Brightbugs. Upgrade Rapier if you have the mats for it.
-Shaded Woods, grab Chloranthy +1
Kill Najka, Congregation and Freja, Primal back to Majula.
-Level up, upgrade, buy stuff etc.
-Run through Shrine of Winter, light Crossroads bonfire if you think your leveling and items are done, otherwise just keep on trucking. Try to kill the Titanite Bug before Drangleic Castle gates.
Kill the Twins
Kill Mirrorman

-Do not die in goddamn Amana, goddammit, just cheese everything from range if ever possible.
Kill Frog
-Grab Bracing Knuckle Ring +2
Kill Velstadt, use a Brightbug here.
-Get Ring, Bone the hell out of there. Level etc. if you need to, get to Mansion
Kill Guardian
-Take the Shrine slow, get the Mist, Bone out
Kill Giant Lord, take it slow and steady.
-Back to King's Gate
Kill Thronekeepers, Nashandra. Use Brightbugs etc., all buffs you have available.
Done!

Omitted some stuff, but I think that's a good route for it.

krakov

There's things that deal higher backstab damage than it though?

Yeah, most heavy weapons and such. Daggers are pretty much universally shit now though and Old whip is light and has the fast backstab animation as Cannon Goose pointed out. I haven't really experimented much but I've read some testing and it seems like a good alternative for now. I tried using the umbral dagger on a dex toon but it was disappointing even before the latest patch as far as I can recall.

It's kinda sad how the mundane path has been nerfed to being almost useless, it was an interesting type of infusion and doing a SL 150 mundane character had some tradeoffs but I understand it's broken when everyone just keeps leveling. I think right now there is almost no weapon that is worth infusing with mundane.

Nerfing the golf swing is just baffling.

These patches has done a lot of good but gone to far lately I feel.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
More potent backstabs than from the Old Whip? Or Dagger -level damage?

--

Okay, so I've been thinking about a NG No Bonfire/No Death route, and after some tries how does this sound:

Explorer, Healing Wares
-Grab Resin from behind Ogre
-Majula, light bonfire
-Forest of Giants, buy 1 or 2 Clubs (2 if you can afford it, 1 if you plan to come back after Last Giant) and a couple of Firebombs from Melentia, grab Small Leather Shield and Light Crossbow
Kill Last Giant with Ooze
Kill Pursuer with parryballista

-Lost Bastile, grab the Silver Serpent Ring, Resin and open up the blacksmith for titanite and bullets
Kill Sentinels
-Grab Bracing Knuckle Ring
Kill Lost Sinner and Primal Bonfire to Majula
-Open up Lenigrast, level up so you can use a Rapier later, level Agility to 100, buy Cat Ring
-Heide
Make Dragonrider slip off the platform
-Chat with Licia
Kill Old Dragonslayer for the ring, Bone back to Majula
-Buy a Rapier or a couple, reinforce one as high as you can
-Jump down the well, get to the Rotten
Kill the Rotten with Rapier, Old Leo Ring and some Resin
-Go run through the DLC, get Flynn's Ring and Bone out
(Not sure which is better here: Iron King or Freja)
Kill Skeleton Lords
-Get Oi! Oi! -merchant, grab the free Chunk and stuff
Kill Covetous Demon
-Buy about 15 Oozes from Gilligan
Kill Mytha
-Buy Fragrant Branch if needed, slowly walk through IK
Kill Iron King and Primal back to Majula
-Level up, buy Lifegems and Brightbugs. Upgrade Rapier if you have the mats for it.
-Shaded Woods, grab Chloranthy +1
Kill Najka, Congregation and Freja, Primal back to Majula.
-Level up, upgrade, buy stuff etc.
-Run through Shrine of Winter, light Crossroads bonfire if you think your leveling and items are done, otherwise just keep on trucking. Try to kill the Titanite Bug before Drangleic Castle gates.
Kill the Twins
Kill Mirrorman

-Do not die in goddamn Amana, goddammit, just cheese everything from range if ever possible.
Kill Frog
-Grab Bracing Knuckle Ring +2
Kill Velstadt, use a Brightbug here.
-Get Ring, Bone the hell out of there. Level etc. if you need to, get to Mansion
Kill Guardian
-Take the Shrine slow, get the Mist, Bone out
Kill Giant Lord, take it slow and steady.
-Back to King's Gate
Kill Thronekeepers, Nashandra. Use Brightbugs etc., all buffs you have available.
Done!

Omitted some stuff, but I think that's a good route for it.

You are missing killing the armorer for his set to get more souls.

Top Bottom