• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

randome

I got the zweihander and wanted to 2 hand it, but then i realized its not even stronger than the drangleic sword i'm using (with shield). Whats up with that? What would be good to 2 hand?

Mistel

Banned
I got the zweihander and wanted to 2 hand it, but then i realized its not even stronger than the drangleic sword i'm using (with shield). Whats up with that? What would be good to 2 hand?
Well the zwei should be but it depends on your stats as a drangleic sword already has C/A scaling so you probably skew what you get from the stats you already have 20/25 so you've got a higher DEX bonus than STR. You will need to upgrade the zwei and put points into STR then you will see it start to overtake the drangleic sword.

randome

That makes sense, thanks! Are there any good 2H swords with a similar move set to the drangleic? I like that little R2 (strong attack) when i have the shield, it just pokes forward which is nice.

Mistel

Banned
That makes sense, thanks! Are there any good 2H swords with a similar move set to the drangleic? I like that little R2 (strong attack) when i have the shield, it just pokes forward which is nice.
As you're one handing it with a shield a claymore has the same one handed moveset. 2 handed there's not really much similar other than probably the royal greatsword.

GulAtiCa

Boy... Been spending a lot of time in Bell Tower lately in my world, so letting myself be invaded. But since I'm a sinner, sometimes I'm over runned with like 3 people. Usually 2 greys and a red or a blue guy. Usually only happens when I'm not seeking them out. Need to stop setting traps and waiting for them, as not helping... :lol

Now at 9 million soul memory at like 80 hours playtime for this account. Like low 230 level.

hey guys, i'm about to make my first agape build (even though i'll probably get the updated pc version in a month i just have that itch other games can't scratch), i have ds2 complete on pc, and the base game on 360. now obviously the pc version runs better but im wondering, which community is better for PVP? that's all i wanna do with this build. limited level pvp with agape.

ds1 definitely had better pvp on xbox due to less cheating and more connections. i stopped playing the xbox version a month after it came out (because the pc one did) so i haven't touched that one in a year, wondering if it also offers better connections like the first game. the pc has been pretty consistent, but i get lots of signs that are already used which makes it a tad annoying. also i feel like there's inevitably more cheaters on pc usually. idk if i really care about not having the dlc just for a few weeks of pvping before the next one comes out.

also how are you supposed to constantly pvp at a set soul level? sure the free signs and arena would work, but is there anyway to invade infinitely at low level with orbs or anything without endlessly spending souls. because it seems like you'd just have to keep lorp repairing or buying cres hence going up and up in tier while not getting improved anything. kinda limits you to red soapstones and such, unless anyone has a tactic?

It's still using SM tiers to match you up with others it's not level based.

yeah i worded that poorly but that's what i meant. for instance if you want to duel at like 500k soul memory, you couldn't invade infinitely without paying souls again and again for orbs unless i'm mistaken. which makes it a lot worse than soul level matching. is the arena memory based as well? i'm trying to piece together how i can do the most pvp at a low level.

one aspect i'm thinking about is starting class. wouldn't depraved raise your soul memory higher than necessary? cause i'm thinking to be as strong as possible at a low memory, deprived is gonna have to spend souls to be on the same level as other classes. so it seems like to me that in order to have the strongest character at a low SM tier, you would want a character that starts with higher stats? or is that wrong? just wondering since for instance in DS1 pyromancer was almost always the best way to do low level pvp (only one being at level one aside, it also offered very good minmax stats for chars under level 30 which IMO is the funnest area to pvp at since you're all limited and not jack of all trades)

Mistel

Banned
yeah i worded that poorly but that's what i meant. for instance if you want to duel at like 500k soul memory, you couldn't invade infinitely without paying souls again and again for orbs unless i'm mistaken.
You are as you can just infinitely farm the piglets for cracked eye orbs whilst being in champions. As for what to start as probably a knight is the best choice.

GulAtiCa

Did a bunch of duels with SourShoes yesterday. Was really fun, esp as gave us both a chance to try out new weapon combos/etc.

While trying to duel with him, I actually got invaded 5 times by blue arbiters. haha. So if you are wondering why sometimes it took me a few minutes to put down my red soapsign, it is because of that. First guy actually rage quit on me! That is pathetic, I mean this isn't a duel. I'm not going to give you a fair chance and will attack you instantly. I may be nice most of the time and let invaders do 1 buff and wave at them to make sure they are ready, but I only do that out of politeness, still aint a duel idiot. :lol

Also, Soul Memory really sucks. Esp early on. But once you start to get in the millions +, the range for summons/pvp/invasion really expands since the ranges then are huge and become less of an issue.

Tarkus

Did a bunch of duels with SourShoes yesterday. Was really fun, esp as gave us both a chance to try out new weapon combos/etc.

While trying to duel with him, I actually got invaded 5 times by blue arbiters. haha. So if you are wondering why sometimes it took me a few minutes to put down my red soapsign, it is because of that. First guy actually rage quit on me! That is pathetic, I mean this isn't a duel. I'm not going to give you a fair chance and will attack you instantly. I may be nice most of the time and let invaders do 1 buff and wave at them to make sure they are ready, but I only do that out of politeness, still aint a duel idiot. :lol

Also, Soul Memory really sucks. Esp early on. But once you start to get in the millions +, the range for summons/pvp/invasion really expands since the ranges then are huge and become less of an issue.
Yes that was a lot of fun. You have some major poison buildup ability going on there. I tried not to use the same weapon twice. Some of them I shouldn't be using at all :) I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the Crypt Blacksword haha.

I haven't used the cracked red orb in long time and I think I absolved my sins for some reason when I was going through the game. I never get any blue invaders :(

I think at 8.9 million Soul Memory is the most competitive using the red soapstone because you get summoned for 3 tiers down and 2 up. That's where I'm locked with the Agape Ring. Once you get into the 9 million tier, you can be summoned by the infinite tier and face SL700 ultra filthy Havelmages. That would not be my idea of fun.

GulAtiCa

haha yeah. I had the Rat ring on, which increases it greatly and used my +10 Poison Varangian sword.

Loved the performance of my duel Red Rust Swords. Right hand had a +10 normal that did 450+ damage (flynn ring + Ring of Blades +2) and left hand had a +10 Fire version with just under 450. That power stance L2 does a good bit of an attack, but boy does it drain my stamina! Like goes down by just over 1/2 (since it does like the 1st attack, then 1 small one after it)

Thought it was funny that at least 2 times we ended up killing each other at same time.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
So, I'm playing DkS2 for the 2nd go round. I'm starting a fresh character and was thinking about going either a dual wield build or 2 handed, but have no idea what I should shoot for in terms of stats or weapons. Any tips?

neoism

Goddamn steam achievements only needed all pyromancies and when I just got chaos storm for the first time in 3 play throughs it didnt pop up. I have them all...

-____________-

So, I'm playing DkS2 for the 2nd go round. I'm starting a fresh character and was thinking about going either a dual wield build or 2 handed, but have no idea what I should shoot for in terms of stats or weapons. Any tips?

Bastard sword is the best early two handed weapon you can find in the forest of giants and can take you pretty fine to the lost bastille and get the Sinner greatsword or the pursuer great sword with Ornifex.

There is also the red twinkle blade too on the amana shrine

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Bastard sword is the best early two handed weapon you can find in the forest of giants and can take you pretty fine to the lost bastille and get the Sinner greatsword or the pursuer great sword with Ornifex.

There is also the red twinkle blade too on the amana shrine

Alright, cool. Thanks!

gogosox82

Goddamn steam achievements only needed all pyromancies and when I just got chaos storm for the first time in 3 play throughs it didnt pop up. I have them all...

-____________-

:( Did you check the wiki to make sure you have all of them? I thought this happened to me on Dark Souls 1 but I forgot to get Toxic Mist from Eingyi.

GulAtiCa

Yep. I had same issue where I thought I had them all after I got the last Pyro spell, turns out I missed a Hex (from NG+ The Rotten Boss). So make sure you check all 4.

-____________-

I have heard people get bugged on this cheavo. No idea how to fix it if you actually do have all of them. Double check none are missing.

Try discarding one and rebuying to see if it activates.

I didn't get the Mirror Knight acheivement on my first playthrough, had to wait for NG+ to get it.

neoism

That sounds bad, sure you've not missed one?

nah I checked like 5 times but it got worse lol got them to pop but now the only one left is the one to get all the chevoo's which I did -_- but o'well I guess Im done with DS2 for now well consider the other version coming out down the road on steam when its like 10 or less or something..

hope to see some of you peps on Bloodborne.... <3 friend me if your getting it just pre-orderd just now... was really reluctant to even get it I still haven't loved a Miyazaki game.. but still it looks amazing but anyone in this thread friend me Psn ne0ism-

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I am struck at the now visible
Aava
boss in the third DLC, already tried the boss fight like 20+ times (a few times with summons) and one of the paw attacks always kills me.
Soul Memory at 33K.

We hunt the beast, retry 17!?
BD69560248AEE65B7E230045906E9E6C87326C2C

Those who are worthy, CLAIM IT!
BD14F52E1BADD1EC9C785016AE3B615AD0DCCDAF

GulAtiCa

I think at 8.9 million Soul Memory is the most competitive using the red soapstone because you get summoned for 3 tiers down and 2 up. That's where I'm locked with the Agape Ring. Once you get into the 9 million tier, you can be summoned by the infinite tier and face SL700 ultra filthy Havelmages. That would not be my idea of fun.

I thought about that, but already at 11M now. :lol

But, I only plan to play on my account for another week. Once Bloodborne comes out, I'll be on that for now on. I'll come back to DkS2, but via PS4 in May or whatever. So my PS3 version won't really be played much soon.

So currently spending my time invading. I'll be the best evil invader I can be!

Dsyndrome

Trying to finish all I can with DS2 before Bloodborne's out next week. Powered through Lud and Zallen yesterday with the help of a human and computer summon, now I'm free of the Frigid Outskirts for good!

Only stuff left to do before next week is beat the Ivory King and go challenge Aldia. How much of a bitch is it to get through The Throne Watcher and Defender, Nashandra, and then Aldia? Will need to use a bonfire ascetic to bring the folks back unfortunately.

Mistel

Banned
Only stuff left to do before next week is beat the Ivory King and go challenge Aldia. How much of a bitch is it to get through The Throne Watcher and Defender, Nashandra, and then Aldia? Will need to use a bonfire ascetic to bring the folks back unfortunately.
Not much you can just warp out after each fight if anything the twins get the most annoying gimmick mechanic, Nashandra and Aldia are pretty straight forward. If you can do the ivory king you'll probably be fine with those 4.

GulAtiCa

Had a horrible invasion record yesterday. Did like 15 cracked red eye orbs and several summon/place down red summon signs. Main issue was lag lag lag.. But, think might have been an issue with my internet. As later that night I noticed issues and eventually went down. So that explains that.

Just bought 50 red eye orbs. Luckily the previous 15 before last night gave a nice profit in souls. I am tempted to leave myself under 12m SM so that if I ever play again in future my char can more easily invade/etc lower characters more easily. But would lead to me not being able to level up anymore or improve weapons/etc. I do have like 900k left I can gain in souls first. But at lv 242, I am good in my stats. I don't really need to level up much anymore. INT/FTH are capped both at 30. STR/DEX at 40 each. ATN at 60, so I can have 9 slots and a lot of extra spell usage. 15 ADP so I am at 106 agility so I roll/etc faster. Vit at 10 so I stay at 60.2 equip load. Finally have VGR at 30 and END at 40 soI have decent health and lot of stamina (since I power stance 2 weapons that eat up a good bit of stamina). So I'm good. Only really issue is if I ever need to upgrade or buy stuff. Other issue is that using that ring to prevent souls would waste a spot.

Not that it matters, as I'll soon move onto Bloodborne and eventually come back to PS4 version of DkS2.

Also, did 1 invasion tonight so far, and people really need to learn that resting at a bonfire does not make you protected from invasions! :)

Finished the last boss. Darklurker.
By far the most hectic one in the whole game but only because he clones himself. Jesh. That was a tough one.

Currently planning to trade boss souls for spells/hexes/miracles.
Is there a fast and easy way to obtain all those without going NG++?

Also, I think I have a bug or something. My Sunset Staff never works for hexes. Even though description says it does :/ What am I doing wrong?

And my last question. If I upgrade staffs/chimes at weaponsmiths, does the damage inflicted using spells etc. with those staffs/chimes get higher as well or does only leveling INT/FTH raise damage output of spells?

It was a great game and I think I will be helping others out from now on. NG+ when I get a new PC.

I also hope that once Sins versions comes, I can get get the season pass for around 5 bucks. I need more souls :)

Is there a fast and easy way to obtain all those without going NG++?
That is the fast way :p

If you just want the achievements and aren't bothered about doing a full run of the game every NG cycle then ascetic one of the big bosses a bunch of times to get a ton of their souls and then pop them all when you enter each NG cycle so you can open up Shrine of Winter immediately and head straight to Wellegar, it cuts out having to do most of the first half of the game. I use Old Iron King just because I find it the easiest, Giant Lord probably nets you more souls but might not be as quick - ymmv.

GulAtiCa

Had much better invasion record last 2 days. Helps internet was better and I played more in an evil fashion, such as waiting for them ans setting a trap, as well as made them play my game and make them come to me. Also, 3 times I killed someone who was away from controller! And these are people with 2.75m and above! You'd think they learn.. Best was I killed 2 guys at Iron Keep final boss outside the boss room. They must be very confused. haha

Spent a good bit of time at final bonfire at Iron Keep and invaded/got invaded. I got invaded twice by goody two-shoes blue arbiters. Both times I wait till they got up to the top. Just before they got fully up, I fired off 2 quick Forbidden Suns. 2nd one makes them fall off, and with that long drop, to their death!

I used the huge ladder to my advantage. 2 times I played the waiting game and had the host come to me. So when they started going down the ladder, I lit up a few lingering flames. And since once you are on the ladder, you can't see me, I had them killed instantly. Never even saw it coming.

My best one was one is where I got revenge. I invaded this one guy who was at very top by bonfire, but cause he never killed that red phantom before the final ladder, I couldn't get up the ladder in time before a blue arbiter came and killed me. But what made me laugh was a few invasions later, I ran into the guy again. But this time he was near the boss on narrow walkway away from his controller. So I knocked him into the lava. Got my sweet revenge. :)

Having never played Dark Souls 2 before I was not aware of the 60fps durability glitch and to my knowledge (which isnt very much) it still has not been fixed.

For those that have experienced this, does it affect the overall fun of the gameplay drastically? Do your weapons break that quickly?

Having never played Dark Souls 2 before I was not aware of the 60fps durability glitch and to my knowledge (which isnt very much) it still has not been fixed.

For those that have experienced this, does it affect the overall fun of the gameplay drastically? Do your weapons break that quickly?

Low durability weapons can be a challenge, but you adjust by having dupes or multiple weapons to use. There are really only a couple areas that it becomes an issue. Bonfires are so frequent.

Souls 2 gaf I just beat DaS for the first time (what an incredible game) & while I purchased DaS2 when it came out I assumed I would get to it. But after tons of procrastination & delays of beating souls 1 I never got to it. Now I own a PS4 & was wondering if I should purchase the PS4 version seeing as it comes with all the DLC or should I stick with my PS3 version?

Souls 2 gaf I just beat DaS for the first time (what an incredible game) & while I purchased DaS2 when it came out I assumed I would get to it. But after tons of procrastination & delays of beating souls 1 I never got to it. Now I own a PS4 & was wondering if I should purchase the PS4 version seeing as it comes with all the DLC or should I stick with my PS3 version?

I would get PS4 version. 60fps is a game changer.

You should go for the PS4 version, it add new things to the vanilla game plus 60fps, new summon npcs, new lore npcs and all the DLC

ArynCrinn

Banned
Any news on the supposed "PC discount" on how much it will be discounted for original DSII+Season Pass owners? Kind of weird not to even see a Steam store page for it up yet, kind of gives me a feeling it might get delayed or a delayed PC version...?

Not buying on PS4/XB1, personally. Only will buy on PC if the discount is extremely reasonable considering all it is about is very superficial graphical improvements, replaced enemies/items and enemy aggressiveness, all things that can be modded in the original easily. So, better be a damn good discount.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Just realized that the Northwarder Set is one of the best and lightest armor set, it also looks good with a Hunter's Hat.

And in time for my 100+th attempt to kill
Aava

ArynCrinn

Banned
Just realized that the Northwarder Set is one of the best and lightest armor set, it also looks good with a Hunter's Hat.

And in time for my 100+th attempt to kill
Aava

Two-hand the Mirrah Greatsword or the Old Mirrah Greatsword if your Aestic'd the first Aldia Keep bonfire a bunch of times and got lucky like me. Then just roll like a boss and go super light, mainly doing R1 attacks, you'll eventually whittle him down, did it on NG8 already (well, Bonfire Intensity+8). If you need it a Brightbug can help even the odds a bit. I did that at +8 on the twin dogs.

Mistel

Banned
Two-hand the Mirrah Greatsword or the Old Mirrah Greatsword if your Aestic'd the first Aldia Keep bonfire a bunch of times and got lucky like me.
Why use a one of the mirrah greatswords when a drangelic sword ends up stronger than both ever will be, unless you really like the move set of the mirrah twins?
Just realized that the Northwarder Set is one of the best and lightest armor set, it also looks good with a Hunter's Hat..
Next set up from that is the black set its got higher defenses and is .2 units heavier, chaos set is pretty much identical with some jigged around elemental defenses.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Why use a one of the mirrah greatswords when a drangelic sword ends up stronger than both ever will be, unless you really like the move set of the mirrah twins?.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I am under extreme restrain due to my locked SM. Improving slowly, but I am trying out everything available to me (all the possible weapons and combinations)

Stats
ZFLHE7I.jpg

If I switch to Drangelic Sword
kl3avC6.jpg

Been trying the boss fight till now with Winged Spear +7 (you get in this DLC)
H8GFoay.jpg

Mistel

Banned
Thanks for the suggestions, but I am under extreme restrain due to my locked SM. Improving slowly, but I am trying out everything available to me (all the possible weapons and combinations)

Stats
Well you have the stats to use one if you wanted to it's twice as heavy as the winged spear is though so that will probably sour you a bit. Comparing a plus +7 weapon to a base twinkling one is a bit disingenuous, but with the remaining 6K plus souls you have left in the teir you can upgrade it to +3 where it does overtake a +7 winged spear.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Why use a one of the mirrah greatswords when a drangelic sword ends up stronger than both ever will be, unless you really like the move set of the mirrah twins?

Next set up from that is the black set its got higher defenses and is .2 units heavier, chaos set is pretty much identical with some jigged around elemental defenses.

I like the move set a lot better, especially for PvP, and challenge runs.

Plus, powerstancing two Old Mirrah's with only the Imported set and the Redeye Ring, never gets old, people literally invade me constantly and immediately return to their world once they know who they invaded. Lot of cowards in the Souls II PvP community. Even had BoB duelers quit on me after we constantly get matched in the arena, can't handle tactics I guess, once they realize their petty magic and R1 spam doesn't work and I can parry almost anything, they don't want to fight anymore. Lame, was never the case in Undead Burg duels or Township duels... Even when I was smoking SL120-130's with my SL4 Hunter build. Actually made a lot of friends on GFWL due to them liking my mixup style and willing to duel anybody at base-SL.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Well you have the stats to use one if you wanted to it's twice as heavy as the winged spear is though so that will probably sour you a bit. Comparing a plus +7 weapon to a base twinkling one is a bit disingenuous, but with the remaining 6K plus souls you have left in the teir you can upgrade it to +3 where it does overtake a +7 winged spear.

I had initially forgotten about all the +7 weapons you get in
all the three DLC's
(when I started the locked SM run), was a bit surprised when I got the first +7 weapon in
DLC_1
(and that moment of excited realization)

And as you mentioned, I have been keeping that 6K souls as reserve backup and I can make good use of it. But will have to decide between gaining 3 level stats or just spend souls upgrading a single weapon to +3, also considering soul vessel'ing the character after getting 3 level stats (so that I can use the as many weapons as possible, along side
rings
of STR and DEX)

Edit: @ArynCrinn @Stormtrooper; thanks for the great suggestions, I'll try specialize tactics along the lines you have mentioned for this boss fight.

Top Bottom