• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II (PS3/360/PC) - Edge Magazine details (Prepare yourself)

Pumpkins

this is very very hard to believe.

but maybe they've changed the engine this time

Didn't they also say they were running their demo on a high end laptop? This could suggest things for the PC version ... or maybe they'll launch on 360/PS3 as well as 720/PS4 when those consoles get announced.

Daante

Didn't they also say they were running their demo on a high end laptop? This could suggest things for the PC version ... or maybe they'll launch on 360/PS3 as well as 720/PS4 when those consoles get announced.

Yep, EDGE article mentions that it was running on a high end laptop

Meh, they've always been console developers. They're new to the platform, the fact that they are even here as a result of some petition online is a big deal. They could use some slack if it doesn't turn out like Crysis 3 until they get more experience. I'll be judging them from the console versions.

You mean the versions that run at 15 fps in Blighttown and look like the game is just a bunch of mud thrown at the screen?

It's a miracle the games don't crash, since everything about the UI and the engine feel shoddy.

I just saw the scans and at least the concept art looks fantastic. At least that's 100% Souls. I also like the idea of horseback riding and incorporating the ocean into the levels.

I really want to know the reason for kicking Miyazaki off this. Seems like the money got to them so they pushed him out of the way because they felt he would hamper their efforts to destroy everything the series is know for.

Disappointing.

Or maybe they wanted to put his creative talent to good use elsewhere because after 2 Souls game the essence of what it should be is solid and they don't need him there to make minor tweaks and changes.

Pumpkins

Anyone else think this is going to be a 720/PS4 early launch title alongside a PS3/360 release? Considering it might not even be out in 2013, it'd be bananas for Namco to not launch something this big alongside the new consoles.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Or maybe they wanted to put his creative talent to good use elsewhere because after 2 Souls game the essence of what it should be is solid and they don't need him there to make minor tweaks and changes.

Or they wanna mainstream fratboy it up and Miyazaki would never do that shit.

ironcreed

Banned
Like I said before, I am not going to hop on the worry train without seeing evidence, but here a couple of quotes I just found that I don't like the sound of.

" I intend to make it more accessible, and that is not just the covenants."

"I want to make sure that Dark Souls II's opening draws players in and immediately gets them addicted without making players feel rejected from the game system

The thing is, that initial feeling of being rejected, chewed up, spit out and then learning and overcoming is the very essence of the series and is what makes it what it is. I am going to stay positive and hope that he just means that he wants to draw players in at first and get them hooked, while leaving intact that "The real Dark Souls starts here" essence in the meat of the game that makes you feel like it's impossible, but you can't stop playing until you are rewarded through learning. As if that hook is gone, then it will definitely not be the same game. It would not have the same 'soul,' if you will. Anyway, I'm just going to hope for the best.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Anyone else think this is going to be a 720/PS4 early launch title alongside a PS3/360 release? Considering it might not even be out in 2013, it'd be bananas for Namco to not launch something this big alongside the new consoles.

I'm pretty sure this is cross generation, since I doubt Namco went from "Well, we'll put out an extremely half baked PC version eventually." to "Let's spend tens of millions more on things only people with a PC will see."

Some of these details have me a little worried, but I'd need to see their execution before I make any judgements. The actual team behind the game is the same (or that's how I interpreted it) so I think I can remain cautiously optimistic.

UrbanRats

Maybe they'll have a prologue with a predetermined story character, of a substantial level and equipment, that'll teach you the basics and "make sure that Dark Souls II's opening draws players in and immediately gets them addicted without making players feel rejected from the game system".

I'm pretty sure this is cross generation, since I doubt Namco went from "Well, we'll put out an extremely half baked PC version eventually." to "Let's spend tens of millions more on things only people with a PC will see."

Where are you getting this from?

ironcreed

Banned
Even if they do make it easier, I am still going to play it and will dig it for what it is. I may come away liking Demon's/Dark Souls better, but the art, atmosphere and maybe even a more coherent story can make this an awesome game in it's own right. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

Pumpkins

Maybe they'll have a prologue with a predetermined story character, of a substantial level and equipment, that'll teach you the basics and "make sure that Dark Souls II's opening draws players in and immediately gets them addicted without making players feel rejected from the game system".

Man, looks like we might have one of those openings with a lot of action, where you've got five swords and things are exploding left and right.

I liked starting in a lonely jail-cell without any equipment...

duckroll

Sounds like... Dragon's Dogma.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not a developer, but I can't imagine it would cost tens of millions of dollars to have better assets for the PC version. Unless I'm mistaken, aren't assets for console games usually higher fidelity than what actually ends up in the game? They can take advantage of that for a higher fidelity PC version.

But again, I'm not a developer and that's just my understanding of things based on what I read.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Where are you getting this from?
I'm not a developer, but I can't imagine it would cost tens of millions of dollars to have better assets for the PC version. Unless I'm mistaken, aren't assets for console games usually higher fidelity than what actually ends up in the game? They can take advantage of that for a higher fidelity PC version.

But again, I'm not a developer and that's just my understanding of things based on what I read.
I'm reading the scans and they describe it as "effortless next-gen", reference Star Wars 1313 and Watch_Dogs, and even say it's quite tantalizingly close to the Blur CG trailer from the VGAs.

I've yet to see a PS3 or 360 game to which I'd apply any of those statements.

They also describe the team size as double in many ways on internal staff alone in order to achieve this, so unless the game cost less than $10 million, this would imply about that much cost increase.

But yes, just simply making PC grade assets wouldn't cost that much, as seeable by The Witcher 2 being a ~$10 million in total game, but the team size growth they're describing that's backing this transition certainly would.

Kunan

That's true; yes. Working in the already-existing high res textures isn't a difficult thing, just requires time.

Grief.exe

It sounds to me like Miyazaki relinquished director roll for the dlc and patches to start work on his next title.

Leaving the new directors for the dlc.

If this is indeed the case, they can be trusted to deliver a great sequel. The dlc was probably the best dlc or expansion I've ever played.

Sid

I'm reading the scans and they describe it as "effortless next-gen", reference Star Wars 1313 and Watch_Dogs, and even say it's quite tantalizingly close to the Blur CG trailer from the VGAs.

They also describe the team size as double in many ways in order to achieve this, so unless the game cost less than $10 million, this would imply about that much cost increase.
Yeah if the map size is just as big as dark souls why do they need twice the number of people who made the first one unless it's next gen?

ironcreed

Banned

That would be the optimal way of handling it, in my view. I don't mind if they flesh it out and make it easier to understand. I just don't want the 'soul' of feeling helpless at first sucked out after the game gets going.

It sounds to me like Miyazaki relinquished director roll for the dlc and patches to start work on his next title.

If this is indeed the case, they can be trusted to deliver a great sequel. The dlc was probably the best dlc or expansion I've ever played.

I'm pretty sure the Artorias of the Abyss credits still have Miyazaki as the director. I would have to check to see if the new directors are credited in there, though.

duckroll

No. Miyazaki worked on the DLC and patches. Dark Souls 2 was in development before the DLC was done, they were made side by side. The new directors for Dark Souls 2 were offered the job in Sept last year.

Yeah if the map size is just as big as dark souls why do they need twice the number of people who made the first one unless it's next gen?

The platforms have already been confirmed: ps3/360. Even if next gen ports come out, they would be based off the ps3/360 version.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

They also describe the team size as double in many ways in order to achieve this, so unless the game cost less than $10 million, this would imply about that much cost increase.

Hadn't considered that, good point. Probably wouldn't be worth the cost of adding that many people otherwise since they clearly aren't rushing it.

Orayn

If said prologue is optional and ends with the gruesome death of the character you played as, I'm on board.

Dylan

Man, I'm always really late to these GAF threads; I tried to sift through the responses to see if anyone has brought this up yet, and I dont' think anyone has, but my apologies if someone did.

Basically, my take on the Miyazaki situation is this:

When Bioshock was a huge success, the publisher wanted to cash-in on the name recognition as soon as possible, so they quickly cooked up Bioshock 2. The smart move they made was to hand this project to a new team, thus leaving Levine and Irrational free to take their time on something new.

So we got an amazing game in Bioshock, a good game in Bioshock 2, and (I'm still hoping) another amazing game in Bioshock Infinite.

This is what I see happening with Dark Souls II. It likely won't be earth shattering like Dark Souls, but it will likely give fans more of what they want, while probably adding a few things to court some players.

Meanwhile, Miyazaki has proven his talent, and has earned the privilege to take his time on a new project that will hopefully have the same impact has the Souls games.

Call me an optimist but for now this is what I choose to see out of this news. I honestly think this is the right move to make from all parties concerned.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I'm almost physically ill reading through this list. >_<

-Hidetake Miyazaki, the director for Dark/Demon's souls, will not be directing the game and will only be lightly involved in the production. To be perfectly honest it basically seems like his name is there to be there- his involvement is mostly about getting the project started and occasionally checking in on it.

-The information about the directors for the game is worrying. Information is unclear whether or not Miyazaki willingly stepped down from the director's chair. Namco calls is a "company decision" and has this disturbing anecdote to share:

"For the IP to evolve and provide a new experience within the Dark Souls world the new wind from directors Shibuya and Tanimura is key to providing players with a brand new Dark Souls experience. In order to maintain expectations and satisfaction and the rewards players experience this was the time to bring in new characteristics and tastes of the directors for the series to continue evolving."

-Miyazaki is disappointed he doesn't have a greater role in Dark Souls II

-The notion that Dark Souls needs to evolve was "common". Edge says not to expect a minor update.

-Shibuya talks about "limiting players options for the early portion of the game, making it simpler to understand new concepts. Then, after a certain amount of time has elapsed, they will suddenly experience the true dark souls experience".

- One thing Shibuya wants to enhance is the action in the game. He feels that he can contribute because of his experience working on action games in the past.

- The game is 25% complete, and the team is substantially larger than Dark Souls. The world creation internal staff for the sequel is nearly double that of the first game.

- The game might not make it for 2013.

- Another new enemy is a Nazgul-like black rider, who apparently serves as an executioner of evil doers. Shibuya confirms there is some sort of morality system in the game.

Michael-scott-no-god-no.gif

Large teams don't automatically make better games. What the hell is wrong with the action now?

Ashler

Sounds to me that it will be developed on the PC and ported to PS4 and 720.

I don't Believe it will come out on this generation of consoles if it arrives late 13 or early 14. This would also explain the comparison to Watch dogs and SW 1313.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

ironcreed

Banned
Large teams don't automatically make better games. What the hell is wrong with the action now?

"-Shibuya talks about "limiting players options for the early portion of the game, making it simpler to understand new concepts. Then, after a certain amount of time has elapsed, they will suddenly experience the true dark souls experience"

This one I am alright with, provided that 'true' experience is still there in the meat of the game. We shall see.

Dylan

He specifically said "the world creation team" is double in size. That just means more novel environments. I think it's a good thing. Maybe if Dark Souls one had more man-power they could have optimized the layout of blight town?

Also, I loved the action in Dark Souls, but come on; anyone who doesn't see any room for improvement is just lying to themselves.

Despera

Banned
He specifically said "the world creation team" is double in size. That just means more novel environments. I think it's a good thing. Maybe if Dark Souls one had more man-power they could have optimized the layout of blight town?

Also, I loved the action in Dark Souls, but come on; anyone who doesn't see any room for improvement is just lying to themselves.
There's some room for improvement, yes. But with the Souls series' intricate gameplay mechanics... there's huge room for fucking up.

I hope this isn't a Morrowind to Oblivion level depth neutering yet critically and financially successful reworking of the Souls Franchise.

Grief.exe

What's namco's relationship with from?

Do they own the publishing rights to dark souls IP? Do they publish all their games now?

There is one part of the article that says miyazaki leaving for a new IP is good for namco

Apart from Dark Souls, Namco's recent attempts at developing new IPs has been largely unsuccessfully.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What's namco's relationship with from?

Do they own the publishing rights to dark souls IP? Do they publish all their games now?

There is one part of the article that says miyazaki leaving for a new IP is good for namco

My understanding is that it's a lot like how Gearbox works, where Gearbox usually owns their own IPs and helps fund development (and thus gets a better financial return from sold copies as well), by the lion's share of the money comes from the publisher.

One thing to keep in mind about "limiting player options for the early portion of the game" is that Demon's Souls did exactly that. You had to play through both the tutorial and all of 1-1 before you had any choice in destination.

Now, I'm not saying that starting an open-world game in a similar way would be a good idea, but it wouldn't be totally alien to the series.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What's this crap about the "main hero"? Are we not going to create our own character?

I'm pretty sure in that regard they mean this is the marketing/promotional imagery hero, like how Skyrim had the guy with the horned hat and BioWare games have a character who you can later customize.

I'm pretty sure in that regard they mean this is the marketing/promotional imagery hero, like how Skyrim had the guy with the horned hat and BioWare games have a character who you can later customize.

I don't recall Namco ever promoting the Eilte Knight as the main hero for Dark Souls.

Top Bottom