• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Chitown B

I like it, it makes it more useful as a standard class, instead or just being a support for every class. With the new MP system also means you can "spam" Vestiges instead of being restricted to the really low number of cast of Forbidden Sun in 2.

The only problem is cast speed tied to DEX, and having to waste a ring slot for it (this is a problem for all magic classes though).

Explain how being more restricted with stats makes it more useful...?

The magic bar is a new thing and isn't just about pyro, so that's a different conversation.

Chitown B

Yeah and that was stupid and unbalanced as hell....

Have to agree. I always thought it was unfair that pyro wasn't tied to stats in DS1. Unfair compared to sorcery and miracles obviously.

Or everything really. You could dish out absurd amounts of damage, without a stat investment. It was ridiculous.

For us non PVP players, your complaints are irrelavent. This is what made pyro different than magic. Now, it's just another set of spells. Might as well merge them.

Lethal

Neo Member
have you done Yhorm or are you just wanting to kill Emma and get it over with? either way, i'd grind a little bit and level up some more. then again i've always had trouble with the dancer and always end up needing help.

Ah...no. I stopped at the dungeon bonfire. I hate that area lol

kris.

Banned
Ah...no. I stopped at the dungeon bonfire. I hate that area lol

lol yeah i'd go back and do it. Yhorm is a pretty easy boss and the area is great for leveling imo. plus once you off him, you'll get teleported straight to the dancer fight either way.

edit: oh wait you could always hit up anor londo, too. forgot about that lol

krioto

So Pyro is just completely over-powered once you hit 30/30 int/faith.

Bosses melt when hit with Chaos Fire Orb and the Black Fire Orb. Combined with the Chaos gem on my Astora straight sword, my guy is a fire wielding juggernaut

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I love using the Dragonslay... I mean Greatsword. Feels powerful as fuck, and it's like I'm playing a Berserk game.

If only there was a Berserker Armor lookalike...

Love staggering huge ass monsters with it. It's why I always go with a STR build for these games.

Jobbs

Banned
So Pyro is just completely over-powered once you hit 30/30 int/faith.

Bosses melt when hit with Chaos Fire Orb and the Black Fire Orb. Combined with the Chaos gem on my Astora straight sword, my guy is a fire wielding juggernaut

No idea why they decided to make pyro the only good casting school

Sarcasm

Every other form of damage requires an investment of stats, why should pyro be any different.

Pyro does require a double stat investment. DS1 is the one that didn't really have a stat investment for pyro.

Just happens early game fire wrecks. On my warrior character, adding fire to my axe made it pretty damn OP as heck.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Then again requiring 40/40 and a couple of rings for maximum damage in DS3 is also ridiculous.
To get "maximum damage" in melee you need 40/40 and a couple of rings too. What's your point?

Pyros are pretty decent and perfectly usable without stacking/maxing everything, if you want to be OP then you stack. That's normal. My sorceress used pyros as alternate/backup (for when sorceries were not good, e.g. vs Aldrich or Friede), she had no faith investment and often only one pyro-boosting ring 'cause I couldn't be arsed to switch them all, and she did fine.

For us non PVP players, your complaints are irrelavent. This is what made pyro different than magic. Now, it's just another set of spells. Might as well merge them.
I wasn't even talking about PvP, though there is that too. Being invaded in the Undead Burg by SL1 pyros with a maxed out glove OHKOing you with Great Combustion is not balanced whatsoever. Saying "I'm a non-PvP player I don't care" is short-sighted, because most people do play online, like it or not, and that kind of balance has to be addressed.

High damage should require a stat investment, it was dumb that it didn't. I'm glad they fixed that in DS2.

It already did. The higher pyro spells required more attunement slots to even use, and had only a couple uses per refresh. And attunement is a stat you have to level.
You have to level that for other spell classes as well though, in addition to the damage modifier stat they required. Pyro had no damage modifier stat in DS1.

Plus you wouldn't even need to level attunement. You could fare pretty against most bosses with just great combustion or black flame. Now if you had the ring for extra attunement slots and/or started with a class that had two slots to begin with - you're on easy street!

Anustart

Finally beat the dancer. Took me about 30 tries, but finally toppled that bitch with my level 1 character! On to Lothric castle, garden and graves! Journey is nearing an end.

I just got to Pontiff Sulyvahn and I can't beat him. First boss I've encountered where that is the case. I'm going to have to massively change strategy here. I literally can't even get an estus in without him hitting me. Does he even have a stamina bar? How did you guys beat him?

Anustart

I just got to Pontiff Sulyvahn and I can't beat him. First boss I've encountered where that is the case. I'm going to have to massively change strategy here. I literally can't even get an estus in without him hitting me. Does he even have a stamina bar? How did you guys beat him?

Might help you as I just recently beat him with my level 1 character. His jump in move he does at the start is really easy to parry.

I used small leather shield I believe. As soon as he jumps, parry then riposte. Swing around back and Whack 3 times, blue sword goes over you, parry red swing and riposte.

I then backed away from him and he jumped at me again, parried a 3rd time and riposted. Whacked him 3 times after and he were dead.

Sarcasm

If you are on PC, I can help you if you want.

Might help you as I just recently beat him with my level 1 character. His jump in move he does at the start is really easy to parry.

I used small leather shield I believe. As soon as he jumps, parry then riposte. Swing around back and Whack 3 times, blue sword goes over you, parry red swing and riposte.

I then backed away from him and he jumped at me again, parried a 3rd time and riposted. Whacked him 3 times after and he were dead.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking, and why I said I will need a new strategy. Up to now I have had a 2 handed weapon with no shield and relying on my dodges for defense. Haven't even equipped a shield yet. I guess now is the time.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You have to level that for other spell classes as well though, in addition to the damage modifier stat they required. Pyro had no damage modifier stat in DS1.

Plus you wouldn't even need to level attunement. You could fare pretty against most bosses with just great combustion or black flame. Now if you had the ring for extra attunement slots and/or started with a class that had two slots to begin with - you're on easy street!
Yes indeed. Thank you for saving me the effort, heh.

jonjonaug

When he splits up he becomes a bit more predictable and deliberate and he staggers easier. It might be easier for you to not kill the shadow clone, although killing the shadow clone means that he'll be open to damage when he brings it out again too.

I usually don't consider NPC summons "cheating", and there's at least a couple that will always be outside his boss room (more if you've been following NPC questlines). His boss room is massive, so if you're taking damage and you have a summon you can just run away until he focuses on the summon to get some healing in.

Doomsayer

Ended up finally taking down
The Nameless King
. Man, that felt good. Most frustrating fight in the game for sure.

The Soul of Cinder
was a little disappointing. Awesome aesthetics and a cool moveset, but seemed a little too easy all things considered.

I started the DLC last night and the first area is pretty cool. I'm SL95 and it seems like a pretty nice difficulty level so far. Excited to get a little into it this weekend.

So far I think my rankings for Soulsborne games is BB > DS3 > DS1 > DeS > DS2

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
He's one of the harder bosses in the game. He's aggressive, so he'll likely punish you if you try to drink estus while he's neutral. If you need to heal, it's better to watch carefully, dodge the next attack, and drink in the opening that you would otherwise use to hit him.

I don't know about him having a stamina bar, but he does have a defined start and end to his attacks. It's just that his combos greatly vary in length, so it's hard to tell when a combo ends until you've seen it a few times. He often overshoots you but will also sometimes punish you with sideswipes, so play it safe and only attack when you're sure that he's recovering after whiffing a big hit, and don't attack when you're not sure if he's done.

You want to dodge towards him most of the time, because it makes parts of his combos overshoot you. Dodging backwards usually gets you hit by followups. Blocking individual hits works, but don't rely on your shield too much because his combos eat through stamina.

what are the best non heavy weapons ? either str or dex or mix of both ? cant really get on with heavy weapons like great axes n swords etc

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Finally played through the first DLC.

I'm sure people will disagree, but I personally found
Sister Friede
to be the most difficult boss...in the entire series. Bloodborne included! The third phase of the fight completely wrecked me. Finally emerged victorious though! Overall, I really enjoyed this and am pretty excited for the next DLC now.
I missed this post earlier but I agree! Very difficult boss

Hollycat

what are the best non heavy weapons ? either str or dex or mix of both ? cant really get on with heavy weapons like great axes n swords etc

My favorite weapons have been the sunlight blade and dancers twinblades. The sunlight blade is late game and is a solid all around choice, capable of buffing you and allies. The dancers twin blades are hated by a lot of people but I find them the easiest and most versatile weapon. The magic blade is great for tearing most defensive enemies apart.

Ricard's rapier is pretty good, has decent reach, and is quick, if not exactly devastating. Its good for going after runners and people wielding heavy weapons.

The witches locks totally catch most players off guard but are hard to wield and do low damage.

And manakin claws allow you to do some major bleed and poison damage depending on how you set them up. They also make you able to pass through attacks. You can really freak out some players by setting up multiple ailments with these.

Those are my current favorites anyways. I try to switch weapons every play through because it's not fun to just use the same one to plow through the game over and over.

Edit: oh.. They were banned :/

Anustart

And Dragonslayer Armour down at SL1. Took many tries, but really not a tough fight. Any death was due to an err on my part. Easily evaded moves, just got greedy and/or decided to attack during the combos where he can either throw in a hit or not. Those killed me until I decided to stick to 1 hit on him during each opening during phase 2 for the most part.

Nvidia share's 5 minutes wasn't enough to catch the first part. But I promise, no cheating :3

Dragonslayer Armour SL1

Frankly, I was afraid of SL1 based on my first 3 run throughs of the game, but I think it was unfounded. One thing it does though, is force you to actually learn the boss. Being punished is no longer a slap on the wrist, it's almost always a death sentence. I love it. I may have to go back and do SL1's of ds1 and 2 after this. It's renewed my passion! My buddy gave up before the Abyss watcher's and I'm disappointed. It's been so much fun!

Sarcasm

And Dragonslayer Armour down at SL1. Took many tries, but really not a tough fight. Any death was due to an err on my part. Easily evaded moves, just got greedy and/or decided to attack during the combos where he can either throw in a hit or not. Those killed me until I decided to stick to 1 hit on him during each opening during phase 2 for the most part.

Nvidia share's 5 minutes wasn't enough to catch the first part. But I promise, no cheating :3

Dragonslayer Armour SL1

Frankly, I was afraid of SL1 based on my first 3 run throughs of the game, but I think it was unfounded. One thing it does though, is force you to actually learn the boss. Being punished is no longer a slap on the wrist, it's almost always a death sentence. I love it. I may have to go back and do SL1's of ds1 and 2 after this. It's renewed my passion! My buddy gave up before the Abyss watcher's and I'm disappointed. It's been so much fun!

You can increase the time it records for the save replay. Mien is set to 10 minutes.

kaos.

Sister Friede
to be the most difficult boss...in the entire series. Bloodborne included! The third phase of the fight completely wrecked me. Finally emerged victorious though! Overall, I really enjoyed this and am pretty excited for the next DLC now.

No, you're right!
It took me 2 weeks to kill her with my mage at 9 vig / 9 end!
(three-four hours per day)
The third fase is a lot painful if you have low hp and low stamina because she can cover very long distances in a couple of seconds, she hits very hard (multiple times, but usually after the first hit you're dead) and you have very few openings to damage her!
I haven't had the courage to fight her with my SL1 character yet! :(

Hollycat

Sister Friede
Sister friede is a monster solo. The first two rounds aren't that tough, but that third is a killer.

He's one of the harder bosses in the game. He's aggressive, so he'll likely punish you if you try to drink estus while he's neutral. If you need to heal, it's better to watch carefully, dodge the next attack, and drink in the opening that you would otherwise use to hit him.

I don't know about him having a stamina bar, but he does have a defined start and end to his attacks. It's just that his combos greatly vary in length, so it's hard to tell when a combo ends until you've seen it a few times. He often overshoots you but will also sometimes punish you with sideswipes, so play it safe and only attack when you're sure that he's recovering after whiffing a big hit, and don't attack when you're not sure if he's done.

You want to dodge towards him most of the time, because it makes parts of his combos overshoot you. Dodging backwards usually gets you hit by followups. Blocking individual hits works, but don't rely on your shield too much because his combos eat through stamina.

Thank you this was helpful. I tried using a shield for the first time ever, and it didn't go so well. I tried te caestus and the small leather shield for parrying, same deal. I just don't have the muscle memory to effectively use those on such a hard boss. So I went back to two handing and rolling, and beat him by staying close and on his left side. I found that the closer I was, the more he would whiff his attacks and give me openings. Trying to keep distance is just a death sentence with that guy, he can close so quickly and is just relentless with his attacks. Feels good to finally beat him and move on. Anor Lando here I come.

Kazuhira

Shit escalated quickly after
beating sister Friede,that cutscene with Ariandel losing his mind scared the fuck outta me.
Then she got another power-up after killin the father and i was like "oh god,kill me already..i give up".

Hollycat

Shit escalated quickly after
beating sister Friede,that cutscene with Ariandel losing his mind scared the fuck outta me.
Then she got another power-up after killin the father and i was like "oh god,kill me already..i give up".
Shes
a fucking monster. Easily the toughest boss in the series in my opinion. Although I never fought Manus or Artorias.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So I haven't played any souls game since DS2 (just a few hours really, could go back to it later), and really haven't played any game since GTAV I think. Was thinking of getting a PS4 controller and this game on steam. I think I never played DS1.

What do you guys recommend, DS1, or DS3?

Sarcasm

So I haven't played any souls game since DS2 (just a few hours really, could go back to it later), and really haven't played any game since GTAV I think. Was thinking of getting a PS4 controller and this game on steam. I think I never played DS1.

What do you guys recommend, DS1, or DS3?

Both. Do you already own DS1?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Both. Do you already own DS1?

Nope, would get both on Steam I guess. Had DS2 on PS3 at some point, sold it along with Demon's Souls on Ebay. Never finished either, probably only got like 30% in at best I'd guess. But I want a game I can go back to when I have time to progress a little, so I thought of DS.

edit: Oh wait, I had DS1, not DS2 actually, lol.

Hollycat

For a while I got really into PvP and started rebuilding my main character to try and make it more fun for myself. I added a bunch to my faith stat so I could do miracles, knock people off cliffs. That for kinda boring so I started getting people to follow me off cliffs while I wore a cat ring.
Then I switched to tricky weapons like scythes and whips. Never quite mastered the scythes but the whips were great.

My favorite area for PvP is easily the area before the dragon armor.

Drop off tall buildings, lead them into enemies then cheer them on while they battle.

I also started playing the friendly mad invader, invading people, giving them supplies, cheering them on, murdering invaders who went after them. Of course some people see the purple and come straight after you so I started getting pretty good at taking two or three people. It was especially fun doing so with the witches locks. Nobody seems to know how to fight against them

I actually really don't like the (Ashes spoilers)
Friede sequence. The first phase is okay but the only real threat is her invisibility which leads to insane damage. Second phase was good. Third phase was just gratuitous and crossed too far into endurance battle + instant kill bullshit. Would have been perfect as two phases, but since it's the DLC I guess they have to make it feel like you're getting your money's worth and make it a ridiculous boss rush.

Friede sequence. The first phase is okay but the only real threat is her invisibility which leads to insane damage. Second phase was good. Third phase was just gratuitous and crossed too far into endurance battle + instant kill bullshit. Would have been perfect as two phases, but since it's the DLC I guess they have to make it feel like you're getting your money's worth and make it a ridiculous boss rush.

I'm not really a fan of the multiple stage bosses, to be honest. Perfect example is Nameless King. The first stage is so comparatively easy that it's just a chore to slog through every time when you're having trouble with the second phase and you want to practice that part.

That said, I just did Nameless King, Oceiros, and Champion Gundyr on NG+ for the first time...goddamn what a rush. Amazing game.

Kazuhira

Friede sequence. The first phase is okay but the only real threat is her invisibility which leads to insane damage.
I dunno,i have more trouble dodging his normal attacks/combos.
It took me a few tries but it's pretty easy to tell where she lands after jumping,i wish she would spam that attack all the time tbh haha.

Top Bottom