• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Whales

Banned
Refined is a good word - DS3 dropped all that was not good enough before and just distills what's best about Demon's/ Dark 1/ Dark 2/ some Bloodborne.

And no, level design in DS3 *is* best in the series. It's as good as DS1 but without the downside of post Anor Londo.

i'd say DS1 has more memorable areas than DS3 does

Doomsayer

Refined is a good word - DS3 dropped all that was not good enough before and just distills what's best about Demon's/ Dark 1/ Dark 2/ some Bloodborne.

And no, level design in DS3 *is* best in the series. It's as good as DS1 but without the downside of post Anor Londo.

i'd say DS1 has more memorable areas than DS3 does

I'm in this boat as well.

DS3 is just a tad too linear for me to give it the upper hand. I will say though, they totally redeemed themselves after DS2. I'm going to be so damn sad when the final DLC drops.

Toxi

Banned
I wouldn't say that. Look at the Infusion system. Blood, Blessed, Deep, Simple, and especially Poison Infusion are basically worthless, while Fire and Deep feel completely extraneous because they just fill the same role as Raw.

Blessed is hilarious because one of the best PvE benefits of Blessed in Dark Souls 1, preventing skeletons from respawning, is barely a factor in Dark Souls 3 because some skeletons only respawn once and others don't respawn at all, so you're better off doing much more damage to them with a Raw Infusion even on a Faith build. And let's not even compare it to the crazy damage and regeneration of Demon's Souls Blessed weapons.

Bloodborne is what I would call distilled. Dark Souls 3 is bloated. I enjoy the variety, but there's a lot of crap.

What does the last DLC contain? A story area or just PVP stuff?

I'm doing the games in order and have DS3, but just beat Bloodborne so never started DS3. If its story DLC I want to wait til it drops then start.

Toxi

Banned
The (new DLC spoiler)
lightning bow
looks like a fucking awesome Miracle. Please don't be another Way of White Corona.
What does the last DLC contain? A story area or just PVP stuff?

I'm doing the games in order and have DS3, but just beat Bloodborne so never started DS3. If its story DLC I want to wait til it drops then start.
Mainly story DLC. It's apparently endgame content, so it depends on if you think you'll beat the game before March 28th.

Edit: A German Spy has impressed me by making what is possibly the worst Let's Play of a Souls game I have ever seen with both Dark Souls 3 and Ashes of Ariandel.

The (new DLC spoiler)
lightning bow
looks like a fucking awesome Miracle. Please don't be another Way of White Corona.

Mainly story DLC. It's apparently endgame content, so it depends on if you think you'll beat the game before March 28th.

Probably not lol. Think I'll play something jolly but short like Transformers Devastation then start DS3 .

Ferr986

The (new DLC spoiler)
lightning bow

Edit: A German Spy has impressed me by making what is possibly the worst Let's Play of a Souls game I have ever seen with both Dark Souls 3 and Ashes of Ariandel.

For what I did read damage is Corona tier so...

The new healing miracle seems suited for group PvP.

Also, that fire straight sword is oddly mainly strength.

EDIT: stats (copied from Reddit)

Ringed Knight Straight Sword

BDEE scaling
17 Str, 15 Dex requirement
4.5 Weight

Dunno how much the fire damage increases when the sword is in fire mode. Really wish it was a pyro weapon though.

bremon

I wouldn't say that. Look at the Infusion system. Blood, Blessed, Deep, Simple, and especially Poison Infusion are basically worthless, while Fire and Deep feel completely extraneous because they just fill the same role as Raw.

Blessed is hilarious because one of the best PvE benefits of Blessed in Dark Souls 1, preventing skeletons from respawning, is barely a factor in Dark Souls 3 because some skeletons only respawn once and others don't respawn at all, so you're better off doing much more damage to them with a Raw Infusion even on a Faith build. And let's not even compare it to the crazy damage and regeneration of Demon's Souls Blessed weapons.

Bloodborne is what I would call distilled. Dark Souls 3 is bloated. I enjoy the variety, but there's a lot of crap.
is this why most of what I've read has recommended heavy, sharp or refined infusions, and raw early game? Many of the others are just not worth it?

Toxi

Banned
is this why most of what I've read has recommended heavy, sharp or refined infusions, and raw early game? Many of the others are just not worth it?
Raw is fantastic for early game and non-Strength/Dexterity builds. Sharp and Heavy are strong in PvE and low level PvP. Refined is the best infusion in the game for higher levels.

Fire is useful early game on a secondary weapon because many enemies will writhe in agony when hit by fire damage. Deep is OK. My main issue with Fire and Deep is they just feel unnecessary. They're elemental versions of Raw, which can already be buffed with elements. They don't really add anything to the game.

Lightning, Dark, Chaos, and Crystal are fine in PvE, underpowered in PvP. They fill in the necessary role of weapons that deal damage scaling on casting stats. I'm using a Lightning Dragonslayer's Axe on my current Faith build and it kicks bosses' asses because they're almost all weak to Lightning. Unfortunately, in PvP split damage is generally not great and these Infusions can't be buffed with spells or resin.

Hollow is good IIRC. It's pure physical damage, can be buffed, and is sorely needed when there's only one natural Luck scaling weapon.

Simple and Blessed are basically pointless for anything but dedicated parrying tools (where they don't hurt the effectiveness). Their damage is awful and they regenerate FP/HP incredibly slowly.

Blood is outclassed by anything that can take Carthus Rouge. Poison is utterly worthless.

bremon

Thanks very much Toxi, that's great info for me to keep in mind. At Profaned Capital and have lots of gems, finally looking at infusing and not just reinforcing.

Toxi

Banned
Thanks very much Toxi, that's great info for me to keep in mind. At Profaned Capital and have lots of gems, finally looking at infusing and not just reinforcing.
You're generally fine as long as you don't pick Blood, Poison, Blessed, or Simple.

Manu

wKWkj0A.gif

Using the Uchi to parry is so satisfying.

Made my way through Farron Keep. Never hated these poison areas but I'm not a fan of them either. This one was ok, it paced the areas where you can get items and land pretty well, but I wasn't a huge fan of it being another oval-like pond like Blighttown or World 5 in Demon's Souls again.

Abyss Watchers was a cool fight, although I had the gimmick ruined for me.

wKWkj0A.gif

Using the Uchi to parry is so satisfying.

YES! YES!

The best choice for my first playthrough.

Props for playing a katana the cool way.

Is the only way (unless in MP, you know run + R1 spam)

2 PvP videos from IGN, show some weapons like Aquamarine Dagger and the others shown in yesterday stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFR6YZTlNz8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH-ZJfeO9iw

Yiiiiikes at dat spam.

I guess these journalists didn't played a lot of dark souls 3 PvP.

Since I am travelling today and won't be able to play my Xbox for 2 weeks I will miss the DLC#2 release date :( Anyway I need to avoid spoilers and this thread till I beat it, so good coincidence.

I hope you all guys enjoy it!!!

See you back on 1st of April.

Managed to take down
Wolnir
on the first try, which was tense seeing as I had 9k Souls on me. I wish they chilled with the Catacombs, I've never liked them in this series. Now I'm at the dungeon. Let me know guys, how bad is it?

Pixieking

Banned
Managed to take down
Wolnir
on the first try, which was tense seeing as I had 9k Souls on me. I wish they chilled with the Catacombs, I've never liked them in this series. Now I'm at the dungeon. Let me know guys, how bad is it?

Catacombs in a Dark Souls game is like the water level in a platform game - frustrating, boring, and totally expected.

bremon

I'm actually relieved with some of these replies. If the Catacombs and Farron Keep are the obligatory "dark skeleton cave" and "poison swamp" levels then I think they did great. Might be that I've played too many of these games but they were far more enjoyable than Demons 5-2, Blighttown, Tomb of the Giants and the Gutter. Order I played them in likely determined toughest to easiest but 5-2 was pure misery, and blighttown fps was such trash.

Ferr986

Catacombs of Carthus is probably the most throwaway area in the game. It feels half baked.

Nah, that's Farron Keep.

I love DS3, but Farron Keep is probably the worse Dark Souls area after Izalith.

Btw, there's a preview of the DLC on IGN japan, it says it has more bosses than he imaginaed, although the wording feels like it says there's
returning
bosses.

Also the hints seems to be there's atleast
areas.

Jombie

Nah, that's Farron Keep.

I love DS3, but Farron Keep is probably the worse Dark Souls area after Izalith.

Btw, there's a preview of the DLC on IGN japan, it says it has more bosses than he imaginaed, although the wording feels like it says there's
returning
bosses.

Also the hints seems to be there's atleast
areas.

Eh, I like Farron Keep OK. I just wish they would have given you something like the rusted iron ring, so you don't have to wade through it on ng+.

RiggyRob

We recently hit 100 subscribers on our YouTube channel, so I made a video of 100 deaths from our Dark Souls 3 playthrough - figured some of you might enjoy it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-31bTFm53U

I've also been itching to get back to my SL1 run, but the idea of doing Dancer, Oceiros and Champion Gundyr early put me off going for the Raw Astora Straight Sword.

Catacombs of Carthus is probably the most throwaway area in the game. It feels half baked.

I'd say so too, mainly because it's actually quite short and leads to the much more visually impressive Smouldering Lake AND Irithyll.

bremon

It still feels more fully realized than multiple areas in DS1 and 2 though. There are some real stinkers in there. To my dismay the witch of Izalith was the lord I was most excited to battle in the first game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Catacombs in a Dark Souls game is like the water level in a platform game - frustrating, boring, and totally expected.
I couldn't disagree more. The DS1 Catacombs is among my favourite levels in the series, and while the DS3 Catacombs aren't as great, I still enjoyed them.

It does help that I invaded tons in that level and it's a very fun area to invade in.

No, that's the Demon Ruins. That area just legit sucks. :p

Whats the general consensus on the Ashes of Ariandel DLC? I'm considering picking up the bundle DLC deal once the new DLC is released but really all I would do it for is for the Onyx Blade.

Ferr986

Whats the general consensus on the Ashes of Ariandel DLC? I'm considering picking up the bundle DLC deal once the new DLC is released but really all I would do it for is for the Onyx Blade.

It's short, but good enough. The main boss is amazing.
And the Onyx blade is really good for pyros.

bremon

Did covenant item farming improve? I had some time to kill and farmed 10 swordgrass in about 20 minutes with 250 discovery. I don't want to get my hopes up and think concords will be that easy, then be hugely disappointed lol.

Not everyone is MLG like us.

It's not even a brag thing. Except for the Corvian Knights, all the enemies are manageable and go down in a reasonable amount of hits provided you've upgraded your weapons.

And I can tell you it's not skills, it's the fact that I've been playing nothing but Souls for the past month.

I am not a fan of the Catacombs here, but I don't dislike it like the original game's. I agree though, there are no blatantly bad levels like in the past so far.

Although, I really gotta say,
Boreal Valley
is overly linear and none of the secrets are fun to find. Also, I RUINED A GOOD BOSS FIGHT BY SUMMONING. Why me, why?
I'm actually relieved with some of these replies. If the Catacombs and Farron Keep are the obligatory "dark skeleton cave" and "poison swamp" levels then I think they did great. Might be that I've played too many of these games but they were far more enjoyable than Demons 5-2, Blighttown, Tomb of the Giants and the Gutter. Order I played them in likely determined toughest to easiest but 5-2 was pure misery, and blighttown fps was such trash.
See, I disagree. Blighttown's FPS is inexcusable, but the level layout is really solid and the swamp actually makes sense geographically. Add that to the great shortcut that can be used to skip most of it. 5-2 was never an issue for me with the right items (and I made it a joke by turning up the brightness all the way). Demon's is an easy game in comparison as it is, so I enjoyed it. Tomb, I'm not a fan of, and The Gutter I'm ambivalent on.

Top Bottom