• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Also, I like bows.

Any advice appreciated! Spoiler tag if you like but I don't care about the story personally so fire away.
There's a free bow right at the start of the first area Wall of Lothric, from the first bonfire go to the end past the few enemies and two dogs, up the steps it's there to loot along with a few enemies.
iirc you can also buy a shortbow from the merchant in Firelink - try using the weapon arts on different bows they have new skills.

Other than that, I think you are good to go knowing the series well - DS3 is quite linear compared to the previous games.

NinjaBoiX

There's a free bow right at the start of the first area Wall of Lothric, from the first bonfire go to the end past the few enemies and two dogs, up the steps it's there to loot along with a few enemies.
iirc you can also buy a shortbow from the merchant in Firelink - try using the weapon arts on different bows they have new skills.

Other than that, I think you are good to go knowing the series well - DS3 is quite linear compared to the previous games.
Yeah, I just got that bow. I hear you can get the Black Bow of Pharis at Farron Keep so I'll keep an eye out for that.

Will the Uchi serve me well for a dex build or should I look for something else?

What about armour?

Any magic/miracles worth using for a dex build?

I like to have a decent head start equipment wise before I throw myself in rather than muddling through.

Cat Party

Yeah, I just got that bow. I hear you can get the Black Bow of Pharis at Farron Keep so I'll keep an eye out for that.

Will the Uchi serve me well for a dex build or should I look for something else?

What about armour?

I like to have a decent head start equipment wise before I throw myself in rather than muddling through.
Armor isn't critical to your build in DS3. It can't be upgraded, so you don't have to fret over picking a set to use for a long time. Just pick what works for your current equip load and (more importantly) your fashion sense.

What about armour?

I did my (second?) play through with the uchi 2h dex. The power drops off later but 2/3 was still quite good. In terms of spells I started with the assassin. This not only let me cheese sword master with soul arrows from the roof (I suck I know) but I would say the spook spell was indespensible. The fall damage aspect has some limited uses but sneaking up on mobs for a backstab was great for tough enemies. Uchi a good bow and spook will get you through the game. I put a bit into the magic weapon buffs as well but didn't really dip into other spells.

NinjaBoiX

Armor isn't critical to your build in DS3. It can't be upgraded, so you don't have to fret over picking a set to use for a long time. Just pick what works for your current equip load and (more importantly) your fashion sense.
Oh wow, I didn't realise that. That's actually a decent move!
I did my (second?) play through with the uchi 2h dex. The power drops off later but 2/3 was still quite good. In terms of spells I started with the assassin. This not only let me cheese sword master with soul arrows from the roof (I suck I know) but I would say the spook spell was indespensible. The fall damage aspect has some limited uses but sneaking up on mobs for a backstab was great for tough enemies. Uchi a good bow and spook will get you through the game. I put a bit into the magic weapon buffs as well but didn't really dip into other spells.
OK, spook sounds good, I'll look into that.

Cheers guys!

What about armour?

Black Bow of Pharis is cool on this.
It's a bit awkward to get though, as it's found way out of the way from the path you'd normally take through the level.

Oh wow, I didn't realise that. That's actually a decent move!

Pick whatever armour you want but don't go running around with any pieces missing. Having pieces missing will cause your Flat Defence to be lower and you can wind up taking a decent bit more damage (~50% more if you go naked).

Hi guys. So I'm pretty new to this game although I'm well versed in the franchise (played DeS, DS1, DS2sotfs & BB to death) so I'm looking for some no holds barred beginners advice. I don't care about spoilers (I'd rather play these games with some helpful advice than blind) so don't worry about that.

I'm playing a Dex build as I always do. Got the Uchi already by cheesing the ninja outside the nexus thingy and I know I can glitch onto the roof to get early access to the silver serpent ring but what else should I know to ease my path through the game?

I want lots of stamina, a light nimble build, slashy dex weapons and maybe a sprinkling of magic/faith, mainly for buffs.

Also, I like bows.

Any advice appreciated! Spoiler tag if you like but I don't care about the story personally so fire away.

FIGHT ME NINJABOI

What about armour?

With the way armor works in this game, it's extremely important to have something in all 4 slots. What exactly isn't relevant, even the loincloth and tatters from the ninja dude significantly decrease incoming damage vs. having empty slots.

I will admit I rarely wear anything covering my face in Souls game, so I'm probably guilty of not having enough defense in DS3. Seeing my husbandos and waifus is more important than a defense % dammit!

neoemonk

So I decided to go pyromancer in this game. I've never used any pyromancy unless the fire spells in Demon's Souls count. I'm not finding this game as easy as everyone else, despite playing all of the prior entries. Those giant crabs in the Road of Sacrifices can kiss my ass for example.

My stats are probably off kilter right now though. I'm level 30 I think and pumped up dex for a while, and then changed my mind. I think it's around 20. Not sure.

Took a break from this to do my four job fiesta run but I'm coming back to it soon.

Okay finally I've cleared all of the original content up to kiln of the first flame. When I bought the dlc I found I had lost all of my save data since I had last cleared the game (when it shipped vanilla) so I had to start over from scratch. A bit rusty at first but id say I have under 10 deaths which is a new record for me, so that was a lot of fun.

Finally ready to jump into the dlc blind, I'm so hyped! I suspect my death count is about to start piling up FAST ;)

NinjaBoiX

Look somewhat nearby for a building with a large elevator.
Got ya, at Road of Sacrifices now.
Hmmmmmm. Mmmmmmm! hmmmmmmm...
This only made sense once I got here, ha.

Edit: Chloranthy Ring!

Edit 2: Black Bow of Pharis!

I feel like I'm off to a good start in this one, Uchi +3, Pharis Bow, Sliver Serpent Ring & Chloranthy Ring already, just over 8 hours in. I feel like that's my core equipment down, fast sword, decent ranged weapon and two of the best rings.

The bosses haven't caused me that much bother yet either, although I have admittedly died A LOT!

Tarkus

Got ya, at Road of Sacrifices now.

This only made sense once I got here, ha.

Edit: Chloranthy Ring!

Edit 2: Black Bow of Pharis!

I feel like I'm off to a good start in this one, Uchi +3, Pharis Bow, Sliver Serpent Ring & Chloranthy Ring already, just over 8 hours in. I feel like that's my core equipment down, fast sword, decent ranged weapon and two of the best rings.

The bosses haven't caused me that much bother yet either, although I have admittedly died A LOT!
What soul level are you? I wouldn't go higher than 50 if you wanted to keep the game a challenge.

NinjaBoiX

How do I open the gate at the other end of Farron Keep? This area is fucking awful, seems like it was designed to test the players resolve and I want to leave as soon as possible.
What soul level are you? I wouldn't go higher than 50 if you wanted to keep the game a challenge.
I'm level 32 now:

12 vigor
12 attenment
21 endurance
14 vitality
11 strength
24 dexterity
10 intelligence
8 faith
9 luck

I doubt I'll be level 50 for a while yet!

How do I open the gate at the other end of Farron Keep? This area is fucking awful, seems like it was designed to test the players resolve and I want to leave as soon as possible.

:( I quite enjoy this area myself.

At any rate, to open the gate at the other end (I am assuming you mean to get to t
he boss area), you need to find three flames on different "islands" of the map and extinguish them. They are each marked by a tall stone tower with a flame atop it. If you can get some elevation you can see them to get a sense where to go next. You can also see them from Bordts bonfire. When you find them if you played Dark Souls 1, check the engravings behind each flame for some lore implications.

If you want to get super-spoilery, the Fextralife Wiki has a pretty good map of the area:

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Farron+Keep#map

NinjaBoiX

:( I quite enjoy this area myself.

At any rate, to open the gate at the other end (I am assuming you mean to get to t
he boss area), you need to find three flames on different "islands" of the map and extinguish them. They are each marked by a tall stone tower with a flame atop it. If you can get some elevation you can see them to get a sense where to go next. You can also see them from Bordts bonfire. When you find them if you played Dark Souls 1, check the engravings behind each flame for some lore implications.

If you want to get super-spoilery, the Fextralife Wiki has a pretty good map of the area:

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Farron+Keep#map
Cheers buddy!

Don't worry about spoilers, I couldn't care two jots about the story, I just skip all the dialogue and never read item descriptions.

"Ancient ones, unkindled flame, lords of old things that no-one cares about, blah blah blah." It's generic fantasy ye olde world bullshit, I don't care.

I just want to hit monsters over the head with a sharp stick. :p

How do I extinguish the flames? Hit them with my sharp stick?

Edit: hang on, got it. The little font looking things. Cheers!

neoemonk

I've read some people saying this is a short game, so I think I'm going slow. I've put about 24 hours in, and am at the first bonfire in Carthus Catacombs. It seems like there's a lot left in the game unless I just start knocking down bosses. I like to backtrack and do some exploring, and
Abyss Watchers
killed me a lot.

I miss being able to infuse all the things.

I've read some people saying this is a short game, so I think I'm going slow. I've put about 24 hours in, and am at the first bonfire in Carthus Catacombs. It seems like there's a lot left in the game unless I just start knocking down bosses. I like to backtrack and do some exploring, and
Abyss Watchers
killed me a lot.

It's short if you skip optional bosses, areas and DLC. It's also short relative to DS2.

Trakan

Abyss Watchers
killed me a lot.

If that's where you are after 24 hours, don't worry about game length.

Finally ...... fucking Concords.

374320_20170709161343zpson.png

B D Joe

Looking for help from PS4 owners, the season pass is currently on sale so i took advantage and bought it. However this is where the problem starts, both lots of DLC are still showing as full price and can't be downloaded ( error code wc-40360-3 )

I've restored licenses and when you look at the services list the dark souls 3 season pass is listed so it's definitely associated with my main account. But i still can't download them

Has anybody else experienced this, and how did you resolve it?

{solved - had to use the app on my tablet to start the download as it showed as free on that but not directly from the ps4}

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Abyss Watchers
killed me a lot.
It's shorter than Dark Souls 2, but Dark Souls 2 is a very meaty game. DS3 isn't a short game by any other metric really and I'm pretty sure it's longer than DS1 if you do all the areas and bosses. Don't worry about length ^^

Jobbs

Banned
Dark Souls 3 took me like a year to beat :D But I did it!

..To be fair, I deliberately put off doing soul of cinder and replayed most of the game a few times on different characters before ever finishing it officially. I just didn't want it to be over.

But, yeah, it's a content rich game. It's not short.

.Anema

Guys, I need a little help.
I'm on NG+6 on my original Dark Souls 3, got the platinum trophy and all the DLC. At this time I'm playing PvP and the "campaign" to make new characters.
I want to buy the last version, The Fire Fades Edition. The new edition uses the same saved games right? I don't want to start everything again, I just want to use the new disc and delete the old game and DLC and play my old saves from the new disc.
Anyone has any official info?
Thanks!

Rocketz

Finished Ashes of Ariandel last night and I'm glad I didn't buy the Season Pass day one. (Just picked it up in the Xbox Sale).

It's not that I didn't like the DLC, it's just how short it was. I could have completed it in a few hours if I just sat down and played it on a empty night. The end boss was great but only having 2 bosses with the other being kinda a cake walk was kinda meh. Wishing there was some more enemy variety too.

Going to start The Ringed City tonight and I'm really looking forward to that.

Am I the only one who didn't have a terrible time getting Darkmoon Ring/Blade?

I farmed Silver Knights for a while, but yeah that got boring as fuck so instead I just kept my Blades of the Darkmoon insignia equipped and got them naturally. Yes, summons can be few and far between, but eventually you'll get enough. There's no need to torture yourselves.

Cat Party

I can imagine how long that took ya. For me I stayed around lvl 20 when I got there so I can get summoned. Not alot of people have the blue covenant equipped later on.
I've been getting summoned constantly above SL 100 since I started playing the DLC. Still rarely get the proof because the attacker bails as soon as I get summoned, lol.

I like to do my part by equipping way of the Blue whenever I'm embered.

Finished Ashes of Ariandel last night and I'm glad I didn't buy the Season Pass day one. (Just picked it up in the Xbox Sale).

It's not that I didn't like the DLC, it's just how short it was. I could have completed it in a few hours if I just sat down and played it on a empty night. The end boss was great but only having 2 bosses with the other being kinda a cake walk was kinda meh. Wishing there was some more enemy variety too.

Going to start The Ringed City tonight and I'm really looking forward to that.

Yeah, I got it as a gift otherwise I wouldn't have played it. Feels like they give you such a long boss to try to justify how short the DLC was and make people feel they got their money's worth, but I really didn't like how so much of the boss's difficulty comes from their asinine damage output. Even relative to the rest of Dark Souls III's late game.

I can imagine how long that took ya. For me I stayed around lvl 20 when I got there so I can get summoned. Not alot of people have the blue covenant equipped later on.

Long enough but I think I had it easier than most, had about 3 summons in which I got 3 Concords in each one, so there was that.

Why do they keep putting these damn things in the games.

Cat Party

I defeated the dragon on the bridge in the Ringed City but I didn't get its soul or the 150k souls it's supposed to drop. Anything I can do? I've never had this happen.

Edit: wait, do I have to fight it a second time later?

I defeated the dragon on the bridge in the Ringed City but I didn't get its soul or the 150k souls it's supposed to drop. Anything I can do? I've never had this happen.

Edit: wait, do I have to fight it a second time later?

Yes, that wasn't the real bossfight, he merely got knocked down into the real arena.

neoemonk

I'm at the second bonfire in Irithyll of Boreal Valley, and so far I've really enjoyed the game. I've gone into pyromancies and I'm still using the Raw Astora Straight Sword, at +6 now but I think last night I got enough titanite to bump up to +7.

At some point I think I might look into a different infusion. Are there any infusion/upgrade calculators out there? I'd like to see the numbers before I use one of the gems.

NinjaBoiX

How do I access the DLC's?

I'm nearly out of the catacombs, just beat the big skeleton boss. Also, does the game end when you kill the last boss?

Cat Party

How do I access the DLC's?

I'm nearly out of the catacombs, just beat the big skeleton boss. Also, does the game end when you kill the last boss?
First dlc is accessed from the Cathedral of the Deep.

Game does not end when you beat the last boss. Only DS1 was like that. You have a long way to go still though.

Oh goodie

Better get hyped because it's a long fight.

I'm at the second bonfire in Irithyll of Boreal Valley, and so far I've really enjoyed the game. I've gone into pyromancies and I'm still using the Raw Astora Straight Sword, at +6 now but I think last night I got enough titanite to bump up to +7.

At some point I think I might look into a different infusion. Are there any infusion/upgrade calculators out there? I'd like to see the numbers before I use one of the gems.

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3

Is the calculator you want. As of the most recent patch the Longsword and Flachion are better raw infusions compared to the Astora Straight Sword.

NinjaBoiX

First dlc is accessed from the Cathedral of the Deep.

Game does not end when you beat the last boss. Only DS1 was like that. You have a long way to go still though.
Cool, cheers.
:))))

(I think that means a big smile, if not I mean 'big smile' !)
Oh, it's Anor Londo! I never really dug this place to be honest, felt like a half built movie set before they added any set dressing, huge empty rooms with nothing in them.

Also, this game is getting so difficult, I feel like it's really testing my patience now...

Top Bottom