• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Cool, cheers.

Oh, it's Anor Londo! I never really dug this place to be honest, felt like a half built movie set before they added any set dressing, huge empty rooms with nothing in them.

Also, this game is getting so difficult, I feel like it's really testing my patience now...

Well, there's one, possibly two more infuriating bosses coming up. One of those and Pontiff are easily the weakest parts of the game and exemplify the things that were wrong with Dark Souls 3. Way too aggressive and too hard to tell when they're going to stop attacking when they actually even BOTHER to stop attacking. Pontiff is the worst of it though. Guy is either a cakewalk or nigh-impossible when he summons his Stand, there's no consistency.

Estoc

I actually really like the Pontiff fight, feel amazing dodging left and right and hitting his groin(they're too tall...). Only other one that gives me that rush is DLC boss
Friede part 1 and 3 (no groin-hitting for this one though)
, oh and
the Cinder Lord
too.

The infuriating bosses for me are
the twin princes
and
The Nameless King

NinjaBoiX

Well, there's one, possibly two more infuriating bosses coming up. One of those and Pontiff are easily the weakest parts of the game and exemplify the things that were wrong with Dark Souls 3. Way too aggressive and too hard to tell when they're going to stop attacking when they actually even BOTHER to stop attacking. Pontiff is the worst of it though. Guy is either a cakewalk or nigh-impossible when he summons his Stand, there's no consistency.
This is a very important point, too often bosses seem to completely ignore stamina recovery, which given how integral it is to the combat is very poor design. "Attack-attack-attack-attack--attack-haha you ran out of stamina trying to block/evade my unlimited stamina", lame as fuck.

Same with their attacks clipping through stuff that yours won't or ignoring friendly fire whenever it suits them.

Or the ridiculous tracking on some enemies where they'll seemingly pivot on the spot to make sure they land a cheap blow.

All these things add up to cheap difficulty and it's really frustrating. I don't mind a challenge, but fighting against cheating AI sucks.

Regginator

Just finished Dark Souls III at 42 hours. Amazing journey, probably the best Souls game I've played. It slightly beats the first Dark Souls in my opinion.

DaS3 (9.5) > DaS1 (9) >> DeS (8) >>>> DaS2 (7.5)

Besides all the things that make the Souls series so good, I loved the art style and the fasted paced combat. I have to get a PS4 on the cheap for Bloodborne.

Doomsayer

I actually really like the Pontiff fight, feel amazing dodging left and right and hitting his groin(they're too tall...). Only other one that gives me that rush is DLC boss
Friede part 1 and 3 (no groin-hitting for this one though)
, oh and
the Cinder Lord
too.

The infuriating bosses for me are
the twin princes
and
The Nameless King

I loved
the Twin Princes
, the design and the lore were great. Plus the fight was really fun.
The Nameless King
and
Midir
were the only bosses that made me rage in DS3. I felt all the rest of them were pretty balanced and you can approach them tactfully and take them out.

Regginator

I loved
the Twin Princes
, the design and the lore were great. Plus the fight was really fun.
The Nameless King
and
Midir
were the only bosses that made me rage in DS3. I felt all the rest of them were pretty balanced and you can approach them tactfully and take them out.

Same here, I loved the
Twin Princes
. They gave me some trouble at first, but once you know their movement, it's an intense and fun fight. Lore wise and set-up it's great as well.

As for the
Nameless King
, I think that's the last optional boss I haven't beaten yet, and he's giving me a fuckton of trouble. I have this rule that I refuse to summon, I have to beat every boss solo at least once, before summoning just for shits and giggles.

1upsuper

I'm one of those weirdos who prefers 3 to 1. My rankings probably look like this:

Bloodborne > Demon's Souls* > Dark Souls 3 > Dark Souls 1 > Dark Souls 2

*The caveat with DeS being that subsequent playthroughs aren't as magical as the first one given that a lot of what makes it cool are surprising gimmicks that just don't stand up to multiple playthroughs IMO. They're all fantastic though in very different ways. And I love 2. Dark Souls 1, despite how much I adore it, has the most areas I dread returning to.

Doomsayer

Same here, I loved the
Twin Princes
. They gave me some trouble at first, but once you know their movement, it's an intense and fun fight. Lore wise and set-up it's great as well.

As for the
Nameless King
, I think that's the last optional boss I haven't beaten yet, and he's giving me a fuckton of trouble. I have this rule that I refuse to summon, I have to beat every boss solo at least once, before summoning just for shits and giggles.

I didn't summon on my first play through, either. I have that same rule. TNK wrecked my dex build (loldex) about 20 times before I finally got him. Then on my strength build he didn't get me once.

NinjaBoiX

So I finally beat that stupid lizard enemy on the bridge to Anor Londo but now I'm told I need some doll thingy to pass. Urgh....

*opens Dark Souls 3 wiki because game design and things*

I know people love the whole obscure thing but it's annoying to me. It's just obtuse and seems to go out of its way to make your life difficult at every opportunity. It's just mashocistic but I can't help myself!

(I like these games I swear but they're just too hard for their own good and it's annoying to have to ask for help from a guide or a forum every few hours because it wants to be enigmatic or whatever. I don't have time for that shit man!)

Edit: that was still no help, I'll just YouTube it. Fun times.

Edit 2: ok I got it, I'll head there tomorrow.

I have such a love/hate relationship with these games (I've played them all at length and completed Dark Souls 2 but never managed to finish DeS, DS1 or BB) but I just know I'll get to a point where the challenge is insurmountable and I can't will myself through the struggle anymore. It gets even more difficult when you basically can't level up anymore because it ends up costing so much. I enjoy playing these games in the main but there is always this numbing inevitability that it's just a matter of time before I can't go on anymore, then I've just spent 30-40 hours not completing a game that I now have a thinly veiled contempt for...

Nameless
King is great. The first phase is basically a battle with the camera which is not so great, but second phase is good. Dancer is one of the worst because the AI is so janked up. Spends half of the fight simply circling around like they forgot to program it to attack, then starts attacking and kills you in 2 combo'd hits. Ridiculous.

So I finally beat that stupid lizard enemy on the bridge to Anor Londo but now I'm told I need some doll thingy to pass. Urgh....

I know people love the whole obscure thing but it's annoying to me. It's just obtuse and seems to go out of its way to make your life difficult at every opportunity. It's just mashocistic but I can't help myself!

(I like these games I swear but they're just too hard for their own good and it's annoying to have to ask for help from a guide or a forum every few hours because it wants to be enigmatic or whatever. I don't have time for that shit man!)

I have such a love/hate relationship with these games (I've played them all at length and completed Dark Souls 2 but never managed to finish DeS, DS1 or BB) but I just know I'll get to a point where the challenge is insurmountable and I can't will myself through the struggle anymore. It gets even more difficult when you basically can't level up anymore because it ends up costing so much. I enjoy playing these games in the main but there is always this numbing inevitability that it's just a matter of time before I can't go on anymore, then I've just spent 30-40 hours not completing a game that I now have a thinly veiled contempt for...

Anri tells you about it, but it's certainly unintuitive that you only need to defeat one Lord of Cinder to reach the area, but can't get through until you've beaten the other one. Just how the series is.

Bydobob

The lack of signposting is both a blessing and a curse. It serves a purpose though and isn't merely being obtuse for the sake of it. These games are designed around a player taking their time and exploring the map. Not only are you less likely to miss critical enemies and items, but you'll stay longer in the areas suited to your level. A common mistake is rushing to the next area before your character or weapons are sufficiently levelled up. Makes an already difficult game feel like a brick wall. For your own sanity I'd suggest replaying the early game to have a bit of fun and remind yourself how you've come along. You'll feel empowered again and motivated for the next challenge.

Cat Party

Dancer is one of my favorite fights. The music in the second phase gets me so hyped.

NK is too hard to be a favorite but it is so epic. One of the high points of the entire series.

So far I am really enjoying Ashes of Ariandel -- I'm sure I've spent at 4 hours in it exploring every corner, and I've not finished it yet (first time for me, totally blind). My understanding is that people said it was "good but too short" and that Ringed City was longer, so if this is their version of "too short" I'm really looking forward to the next one ;)

[edit]

.... and Ashes of Ariandel finished! That was great; both boss fights were pretty good, especially that last one. The world was pretty sizable with some good shortcuts, lots of bonfires, lots of variety. It took quite a few hours to explore the entire area and get every treasure. Sitting at the gates to Ringed City, got a fresh coffee...here....we....GO!

[/edit]

The most disappointing part of Dark Souls 3 is the weapon variety. Unlike 1 and 2 where almost every weapon had a very different R2, R2's in Dark Souls III are not only comparatively very slow and weak, but are often the same between all weapons of the same class. Like they expected the weapon art to make up for it, but so many of the weapon arts are also shared, as well as being incredibly ineffective for pve. Weapons of completely different types end up feeling the same, just with slightly different swing speeds.

Lime

I'm almost at the end and I only need the final boss + Ashes DLC + Ringed City DLC. Should I finish the final boss (Kiln whatever it's called) and then proceed with the DLCs or should I finish the DLCs before I fight the final boss?

I'm almost at the end and I only need the final boss + Ashes DLC + Ringed City DLC. Should I finish the final boss (Kiln whatever it's called) and then proceed with the DLCs or should I finish the DLCs before I fight the final boss?

The primary boss of Ashes and the bosses of Ringed City are harder than the main game boss. I also think it narratively makes more sense to do at least Ringed City after beating the main game.

NinjaBoiX

OK, I've been having a decent time of it these last few days, I think I'm a good way through Cathedral of the Deep.

Also, this Pontiff Right Eye ring is amazing, stacking attack damage for a dex build using a katana? Boom!

Also, is the grass crest shield decent? I've been using it and upgraded it to +2, and now that I'm using the pontiff ring I've taken off the chloranty ring as the shield rebuilds stamina regen anyway (although I assume the effects stack).

So anyway, as per I'm enjoying this game right now because it's not kicking my butt, let's see how long that lasts...

OK, I've been having a decent time of it these last few days, I think I'm a good way through Cathedral of the Deep.

Also, this Pontiff Right Eye ring is amazing, stacking attack damage for a dex build using a katana? Boom!

Also, is the grass crest shield decent? I've been using it and upgraded it to +2, and now that I'm using the pontiff ring I've taken off the chloranty ring as the shield rebuilds stamina regen anyway (although I assume the effects stack).

So anyway, as per I'm enjoying this game right now because it's not kicking my butt, let's see how long that lasts...

You should try and the Old Wolf Curved sword if you like that kind of build. Its the Rank 1 reward for the Watchdogs of Farron. The right and left eye rings plus that sword is crazy sting build. The left eye heals how after a few consecutive swings and the sword has the effect of both rings itself. You get a really strong stacked effect that encourages aggression. It's sort of Bloodborne-esque.

I personally don't think stamina regen is that important in DS3 consecutives rolls don't cost more stamina, so it's pretty easy to manage. You're better of with 100% block shield or throwing a blessed infusion on one for regen.

I would like to try the Old Wolf Curved Sword, but farming for Covenant weapons takes far too long. They really screwed over offline play/ when the community isn't very active.
If you're on PC just log in on offline mode and boot up cheat engine then use the increased item find hack. The hack makes everything except Proofs of Concord kept always drop. Ears will drop most kills,but not all the time. Once you have what you need turn off cheat engine and start back online. You won't get banned doing this. You will get banned if you hack in the covenant turn in items and rewards, but upping discovery doesn't trigger a ban.

In terms of activity even at release getting summoned as a Watchdog or Blue was not good. I actually think Blue summons are more common now. I can't speak for Watchdogs since I leveled past that area super fast at release. It's very active now at lvl 30ish.

Cels

when you equip the spears of the church covenant, you be summoned to be the ringed city boss even if you are outside the ringed city?

when you equip the spears of the church covenant, you be summoned to be the ringed city boss even if you are outside the ringed city?

Yeah it works like any other covenant in that regard. The weird thing about Spear if the Church is that if you put down a sign anywhere in Ringed City there is a chance you will be summoned. As long as the covenant banner is in your inventory it can happen it doesn't matter if you have the covenant equipped or not.

I'm still pretty early (I'm up to extinguishing the torches in Farron's Keep) but this is *finally* the first Souls game that has clicked with me

I still don't understand a lot of the mechanics (poise, covenants, etc.) but just the moment to moment gameplay has become super fun for me

neoemonk

I just finished this yesterday. It took me around 45 hours. Definitely the least time I've put into any of the five games.

By the end I think I just had Souls exhaustion. I didn't explore any of the optional areas and I don't feel like getting into the DLC right now. It's weird because I enjoyed the game. I'm not really a "rank and compare" person but I did have fun with all of the games. As I got close to the end I kind of just wanted to finish.

From Pontiff on, I feel like I kind of broke the game. I think I was around 30 in both Int and Faith and Great Chaos Fire Orb was my go-to for bosses. It started hitting for so much damage
until the Lord of Cinder which made me switch to the Black Fire Orb
. I'll watch some lore videos and the like, and am looking forward to see where From goes from here.

Veelk

Banned
If you're on PC just log in on offline mode and boot up cheat engine then use the increased item find hack. The hack makes everything except Proofs of Concord kept always drop. Ears will drop most kills,but not all the time. Once you have what you need turn off cheat engine and start back online. You won't get banned doing this. You will get banned if you hack in the covenant turn in items and rewards, but upping discovery doesn't trigger a ban.

In terms of activity even at release getting summoned as a Watchdog or Blue was not good. I actually think Blue summons are more common now. I can't speak for Watchdogs since I leveled past that area super fast at release. It's very active now at lvl 30ish.

Would you get banned for hacking in all the other weapons? When I get a PC that can run it, I'm gonna want to skip all the recollecting of items and just get everything from the start.

Sculture of a crystal lizard hugging s sunlight medal :)

de3ocv3vyae95ktwruzq.jpg

Hope to see it painted!

source and rear view: https://twitter.com/himasun/status/886620350632542213

neoemonk

Demon's Souls trained me to charge crystal lizards on sight, and I swear almost every one of those bastards in this game gave me a twinkling titanite which I never used once.

Would you get banned for hacking in all the other weapons? When I get a PC that can run it, I'm gonna want to skip all the recollecting of items and just get everything from the start.

My understanding is that no all other weapons don't result in a ban. Do not create Boss Souls those do result in a ban, but creating the weapons themselves does not. The page that hosts the cheat engine file has pretty good breakdown of what does and doesn't. Best practice is to make a backup of your save in case you get the warning message, so you can revert back. They're actually weirdly lenient about the whole thing my understanding is bans aren't even necessarily permanent. I really wouldn't know I've only used cheat engine once to do what I described before.

Level 40-ish, 30 strength, Killed Wolnir and onto the Boreal Valley - what weapon should I be using? Currently still rocking +4 Raw Claymore.

There's no obvious strength weapons in sight for me that I can see.

Übermatik;243751312 said:
Level 40-ish, 30 strength, Killed Wolnir and onto the Boreal Valley - what weapon should I be using? Currently still rocking +4 Raw Claymore.

You can keep that Claymore all the way through if you wish, though at 30 str you are starting to get better if you just remove the Raw with a shriving stone, or even better infuse with a heavy gem.

If you're into 2H Str weapons and you didn't make the ring or eat the soul, you could go for Vordt's Great Hammer.

I can't really think of any good 2H weapons coming up, I never really play 2H Str myself so I don't know about them. I suppose Smoughs Great Hammer is in the back 1/3 of the zone you are in now, or if you want to wait a few more areas Yhorm's Great Machete. Or I suppose farm a Greataxe in the first zone, and infuse it with heavy.

You can keep the Claymore I finished my first run with it. However if you want to use something else you have options. At this point there's a chance you picked up the Astora Greatsword and Greatsword. Both are decent Ultra Greatswords with the Astora being very Claymore like, but with a ton more reach. The Greatsword is basically Gut's sword from Berserk a giant hunk of metal that hits crazy hard, but slow and has high stamina usage. If you don't have them give a quick Google search they're both found in areas you have finished. The next two major bosses have decent 2h weapons that can be made using their souls.

The other good choice is the Black Knight Sword, which is found in a secret side zone you probably missed. If you want to reach the zone I'll spoiler tag how to reach it.
Remember that wooden bridge you went over to reach Wolnir? Well if you cut the bridge on the side that Wolnir is on the broken bridge will make a ladder. Go down that ladder and you'll gain access to new area with its own enemies, items, and boss.

gogosox82

You can beat the game with the claymore. Just take off the raw infusion and put a heavy infusion on now that you have 30 str. Personally, I'm a fan of The Lothric Knight Greatsword and the Executioner's Sword so you could try those out and see if you like them.

Did they ever change Dancer of the Boreal Valley? That move with dragging the swords along the ground in a circle used to be a bunch of free hits, and now I always seem to get hit by the fire instead.

Regginator

All bosses done! After around 15 tries, I finally beat the
Nameless Whore
, I mean
King
. Now that I don't have to abide to my self-imposed first-time-solo rule any more, I'll have my revenge on him by getting myself summoned and mashing him to bits.

You can keep that Claymore all the way through if you wish, though at 30 str you are starting to get better if you just remove the Raw with a shriving stone, or even better infuse with a heavy gem.

If you're into 2H Str weapons and you didn't make the ring or eat the soul, you could go for Vordt's Great Hammer.

I can't really think of any good 2H weapons coming up, I never really play 2H Str myself so I don't know about them. I suppose Smoughs Great Hammer is in the back 1/3 of the zone you are in now, or if you want to wait a few more areas Yhorm's Great Machete. Or I suppose farm a Greataxe in the first zone, and infuse it with heavy.

You can beat the game with the claymore. Just take off the raw infusion and put a heavy infusion on now that you have 30 str. Personally, I'm a fan of The Lothric Knight Greatsword and the Executioner's Sword so you could try those out and see if you like them.

You can keep the Claymore I finished my first run with it. However if you want to use something else you have options. At this point there's a chance you picked up the Astora Greatsword and Greatsword. Both are decent Ultra Greatswords with the Astora being very Claymore like, but with a ton more reach. The Greatsword is basically Gut's sword from Berserk a giant hunk of metal that hits crazy hard, but slow and has high stamina usage. If you don't have them give a quick Google search they're both found in areas you have finished. The next two major bosses have decent 2h weapons that can be made using their souls.

The other good choice is the Black Knight Sword, which is found in a secret side zone you probably missed. If you want to reach the zone I'll spoiler tag how to reach it.
Remember that wooden bridge you went over to reach Wolnir? Well if you cut the bridge on the side that Wolnir is on the broken bridge will make a ladder. Go down that ladder and you'll gain access to new area with its own enemies, items, and boss.

Thank-you everyone, and Empty Space, I didn't miss it but I did turn around when I saw
that huge burning demon again!
. This was one of the areas I intended to go back to, so I'll check that out tonight.

Otherwise, yeah, thanks for your input. I have the Astora Greatsword and Greatsword. I guess I glossed over both because they pale in comparison to my Claymore's damage output right now?

Also I have a Great Axe but can't wield it yet I don't think.
Hmmmm.

Lime

Finished the entire game and all its DLC after 65 hours of total playtime according to the in-game clock.

This series is seriously one of the biggest gifts to the culture of video games. It's so incredibly dark, morose, and sinister, with some absolutely gorgeous art direction and graphical execution, an incredible eye for detail, a oblique form of storytelling rarely seen in mainstream games (if at all), a revolutionary form of multiplayer game design, and rewarding combat mechanics.

Having played all the Souls + Bloodborne games, it's such a mammoth to engage with, but it's so rewarding and fulfilling. The series is simply unsurpassed in so many aspects, it might be the last decade or so's most artistic oeuvre in mainstream video games.

Absolutely huge credit to all the people involved in bringing them to life.

Trakan

There's the Greatsword in the Farron Swamp, the Exile greatsword/great club in the Forest, or the Fume Ultra in Smoldering Lake. All are great options. You can put heavy gems on everything but the Fume.

Catacombs of Carthus has completely killed my momentum in this game. I don't find it fun at all

It's pretty short, you can get through it quickly.

I'm confused.

My Raw Claymore +4 did more damage than anything else - and infusing it as heavy reduced the damage?

Every other weapon option's base stats aren't as good - is that because I need to level them up, and doing so on certain weapons that favour strength, they'll get better when levelled up?

Is that how it works?

I'm struggling to pick between the Raw/Heavy Claymore+4 I currently have, the Astora Greatsword, the Greatsword, the Great Axe, the Black Knight Sword and anything else that might be coming up...

*EDIT* To make it easier, here are the weapons I have (ignore the fact I have the Ghru selected):

xc2jTVu.jpg

NinjaBoiX

Catacombs of Carthus has completely killed my momentum in this game. I don't find it fun at all
Yeah, it's horrible, just run through it. The enemies just dart about in the cheap "we can do this but you can't" way Souls enemies do, but also hit like a sledgehammer like they're made out of lead despite moving like they're made of feathers.

The boss is a piece of piss,
just swipe at the obvious glowing stuff a few times.
The good thing about it is it's pretty short, and after defeating the area boss (without treading into spoiler territory), you go into a new area and the view is absolutely gorgeous.
It is a pretty view to be fair.
Go to Cathedral of the Deep first, you aren't ready yet.

Übermatik;243848380 said:
I'm confused.

My Raw Claymore +4 did more damage than anything else - and infusing it as heavy reduced the damage?

Every other weapon option's base stats aren't as good - is that because I need to level them up, and doing so on certain weapons that favour strength, they'll get better when levelled up?

Is that how it works?

I'm struggling to pick between the Raw/Heavy Claymore+4 I currently have, the Astora Greatsword, the Greatsword, the Great Axe, the Black Knight Sword and anything else that might be coming up...

*EDIT* To make it easier, here are the weapons I have (ignore the fact I have the Ghru selected):

xc2jTVu.jpg

You have to rank up the weapons to get them at the same level as the +4 Claymore. All the suggestions I and others have given are alternatives to the Claymore not objectively better. Experiment a bit with all of those a bit and if you like the moveset of one of those better compared to the Claymore switch to that. The game has been patched enough at this point that almost all the weapons are equally good at this point. There's obviously some variance and certain weapons are better for min/max purposes, but there's really no reason to worry about that right now.

All that being said I get the appeal of just being told use this it's better. In that case the Black Knight sword is I think a better weapon compared to the Claymore. If nothing else the fact its weapon art gives hyper armor will throw off any casual invader you run across. They won't expect you to attack through everything they throw at you and you will probably with those fights.

I wouldn't use any of the Great axes or Ultra Greatswords unless you give yourself more endurance.

That raw infusion on your Claymore should probably be removed now looking at your stats.

Raw infusion gives a higher base damage to a weapon, but also removes its scaling - which means that 32 STR and 19 DEX you have are currently not being used to increase your damage output with your Claymore - the raw infusion ignores them completely.

Raw is good early on when you are low level for extra damage, but there's a point where it will be overtaken by damage from stat scaling.

The good thing about it is it's pretty short, and after defeating the area boss (without treading into spoiler territory), you go into a new area and the view is absolutely gorgeous.
I dipped out of it to go to Cathedral of the Deep because I skipped past it but I'm hoping I can rush through the Catacombs when I go back

That raw infusion on your Claymore should probably be removed now looking at your stats.

Raw infusion gives a higher base damage to a weapon, but also removes its scaling - which means that 32 STR and 19 DEX you have are currently not being used to increase your damage output with your Claymore - the raw infusion ignores them completely.

Raw is good early on when you are low level for extra damage, but there's a point where it will be overtaken by damage from stat scaling.
Holy shit thank you for this I didn't realise why my strength stopped affecting my damage output

If I'm playing with an axe what is the better option? Sharp?

I dipped out of it to go to Cathedral of the Deep because I skipped past it but I'm hoping I can rush through the Catacombs when I go back

Holy shit thank you for this I didn't realise why my strength stopped affecting my damage output

If I'm playing with an axe what is the better option? Sharp?

Most if not all axes are str or split str/dex. That means you want a heavy or refined infusion.

Top Bottom