• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III: The Ringed City - Launch Trailer

Audioboxer

I'll need to buy the season pass shortly. In other news time for me to start a new strength character and try and finally get the platinum as well as do the DLC. Nice buffs to heavy armour and strength weapons.

I don't even know if magic is still shit. Last time I played DS3 they had put out one or two patches to try and buff it. Pyromancy was always decent in PvE but my main character ended up being bleed/hollow infusion (with gravewarden twin blades and dual katanas). I never finished NG+ with them, though. Think I waited on the first DLC and heard it was pretty meh then just let DS3 fade into my backlog.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Seems so incredibly random a boss for what is meant to be the final piece of Souls content...

From a lore standpoint this shit is the bost badass thing ever in the Souls series. Motherfucker consumed the Dark Soul. The little undead with the crown? That's the furtive pygmy. Gael and the painting's pigment goes all the way back to Dark Souls 1's Ariamis's stuff.

Jaraghan

I totally forgot this releases tomorrow/tonight. Been so busy with Andromeda lol. Definitely going to take a break from that to play the final Dark Souls content. Glad they upped the boss count this time around.

From a lore standpoint this shit is the bost badass thing ever in the Souls series. Motherfucker consumed the Dark Soul. The little undead with the crown? That's the furtive pygmy. Gael and the painting's pigment goes all the way back to Dark Souls 1's Ariamis's stuff.
Wait, how is that possible? I thought the
Dark Soul was Manus and was split into many fragments after he died.

Well that
group is at least the Pygmy Lords. THE Pygmy may not be among them but its kinda semantics at this point. Does leave me with moooore questions about the Painter Girl. What if she is a Primordial Serpent's human form? Gonna be going to her once I beat it...

GonzoCR

My PC decided to stop detecting my DS4 for some reason so I'm probably gonna have to play this with M + KB until I find a way to fix it. Time to git gud.

I hate PC gaming sometimes.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Well that
group is at least the Pygmy Lords. THE Pygmy may not be among them but its kinda semantics at this point. Does leave me with moooore questions about the Painter Girl. What if she is a Primordial Serpent's human form? Gonna be going to her once I beat it...

She does have the same scales and eyes as them. Which is WTF². I really hope there's more to do with her after beating Gael.

I keep hoping for a cosmic sci-fi Souls, where you have a melee and ranged weapon (duh) but you augment them, changing stats and movesets, instead of whole new weapons.

Or Souls x Shin Megami Tensei in a post apocalyptic Tokyo.

Sci-fi Souls could be very, very cool.

If I remember right the devs who made Lords of the Fallen are coming out with a sci-fi Soulslike sometime this year. I would say I'm cautiously interested in that.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Wait, how is that possible? I thought the
Dark Soul was Manus and was split into many fragments after he died.

Manus is either the one actual Furtive Pygmy or with the new lore, he's one of the Pygmy Lords.

cheesekao

My PC decided to stop detecting my DS4 for some reason so I'm probably gonna have to play this with M + KB until I find a way to fix it. Time to git gud.

I hate PC gaming sometimes.
That happened to me while using DS4Windows. I tried input mapper and it worked again.

So there are multiple
Dark Souls? That's crazy

I think the implication is either that
there are multiple, or the Furtive Pygmy split his soul with multiple people, like Gwyn and the Four Kings of New Londo. I guess the series has been called Dark Souls for a reason
:p

Manus is either the one actual Furtive Pygmy or with the new lore, he's one of the Pygmy Lords.

I don't know. To me, the dlc lore bits seem to infer that there never was a Furtive Pygmy to begin with, and that the Dark Soul is like Artorias' blood and the Abyss Watchers, in that it's shared amongst the Pygmy Lords and their descendants.

Also, two things:

1) I like how
each of the dlc dragon bosses have a different relationship in regards to divinity: Kalameet was feared by the gods, Sinh was worshipped as a god, and Midir was an ally of the gods. I wonder if that theme was planned or it just turned out that way.

2. I also like how the final boss
can basically be summed up as the Orphan of Artorias.

Less than a month to experience all of it.
4riKnbf.jpg

YES, THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR

Revealing
there are multiple Dark Souls would be the ultimate wet fart to end the series on. For a franchise that has carried the themes of cycles etc. giving the player some sort of finality would be a great send-off

Revealing
there are multiple Dark Souls would be the ultimate wet fart to end the series on. For a franchise that has carried the themes of cycles etc. giving the player some sort of finality would be a great send-off

Well since the main game ended with Soul of Cinder, being
an amalgamation of those to kindle the flame...having the final boss of Ringed City be a Dark Soul equivalent with parts of Artorias and Manus' moveset is pretty similair
. Not sure I could agree about it being a poor way to end it, but people will forever want more concrete answers.

One NPC says "
A world without knowledge is where it began and a world without knowledge is where it will end".
Somewhat apt for the series :p

Also, do we know
any of the main game bosses besides DA (who finally gives us his titular armour) who are wandering the city?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Revealing

The new lore items refer to it as The Dark Soul. Not the dark souls. It obviously got fragmented between the Pygmy Lords, Manus style.

Audioboxer

Is the first DLC end game content and/or is it best to wait till NG+? Might just start a new vanilla playthrough just now and pickup the season pass a bit later.

Fuck yeah! I was so right about this DLC starting
at the end of Ashes of Ariandel.
I was hoping to just play an hour or so to get a good head start but I didn't anticipate how rusty I would be. Saw a really cool enemy though.

I was talking with a friend yesterday whose recent Ariandel experience was pretty mediocre. I'm debating buying Ringed City alone or finishing the base game and waiting for a sale.

Is the first DLC end game content and/or is it best to wait till NG+? Might just start a new vanilla playthrough just now and pickup the season pass a bit later.

1st DLC is late game, not quite end game. YMMV, but the boss is pretty tough (imo), yet the trash mobs aren't too bad.

Spoiler question:
I think read somewhere that some content was locked until a certain date. Is this true?

Honestly, I have no idea. It was heavily rumoured, but I think that was more to avoid datamining...yet from the datamining we knew the names of the mandatory bosses so unless there's further stuff...well, actually there was one rumor that taking the drop from the final boss to the
Painter would unlock an area called Painted World of the Ancients which would include a superboss,
but it seems like that fizzled out.

Hybris

I was talking with a friend yesterday whose recent Ariandel experience was pretty mediocre. I'm debating buying Ringed City alone or finishing the base game and waiting for a sale.

From what I understand Ringed city is a continuation of ashes so I'd recommend against buying just that piece.

TitusTroy

without getting into spoilers, how are the bosses in Ringed City in terms of difficulty and wow factor?...hopefully all the bosses are interesting, fun and hard...usually with DLC From Software tends to put 1 recycled or less interesting one in the mix

Audioboxer

1st DLC is late game, not quite end game. YMMV, but the boss is pretty tough (imo), yet the trash mobs aren't too bad.

Honestly, I have no idea. It was heavily rumoured, but I think that was more to avoid datamining...yet from the datamining we knew the names of the mandatory bosses so unless there's further stuff...well, actually there was one rumor that taking the drop from the final boss to the
Painter would unlock an area called Painted World of the Ancients which would include a superboss,
but it seems like that fizzled out.

Endgame, as in after Grand Archives/Ariandel.

Cool, no rush for me to buy asap. Will take a few days to get a new character into NG+.

without getting into spoilers, how are the bosses in Ringed City in terms of difficulty and wow factor?...hopefully all the bosses are interesting, fun and hard...usually with DLC From Software tends to put 1 up recycled or less interesting one in the mix

3 are good, 2 are among the toughest in the game on level of Friede/NK easily.

One is...kinda a dud, but mainly by comparison. Still good just not going in anyone's Top 10.

Jombie

Saw the end boss:
Gael looks cool but way too reminiscent of Artorias and the second phase of the Abyss Watchers. We've kinda seen enough of that by now.

TitusTroy

3 are good, 2 are among the toughest in the game on level of Friede/NK easily.

One is...kinda a dud, but mainly by comparison. Still good just not going in anyone's Top 10.

wow 5 bosses in Ringed City??...I'm dreading fighting the 2 tough ones...I thought Friede (Stage 3) was the toughest boss in the entire history of the series

Top Bottom