• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III: The Ringed City - Launch Trailer

Lux R7

From the Push Square review, spoilers:

A handful of alternate versions of bosses that you've defeated in the base game can be found wandering parts of the city, hammering home the fact that what you're exploring is indeed somewhere very much detached from reality and the end of something big.

Wow, that's cool.

woah, this is so friggin' cool. I'm so ready, can't wait!

Neptonic

Does feel weird to anyone else that dark Souls is over? I haven't even played DS2 or 3 but they've been such huge topics of discussion that I'll kinda miss the series.

takriel

predicting a low 80's score.

RIP Dark Souls, my sweet little prince. It was really, really fun. I shall take you for one last ride.

Does feel weird to anyone else that dark Souls is over? I haven't even played DS2 or 3 but they've been such huge topics of discussion that I'll kinda miss the series.

Well, Miyazaki did say he's done but if someone else at FromSoft pitches an idea for DS4 to him, he won't stop them. Then again he's said he was done before, and he didn't even mean to come back for DS3. Miyazaki is very Kojima in that respect :p

Lux R7

RIP Dark Souls, my sweet little prince. It was really, really fun. I shall take you for one last ride.

giphy.gif

Not really, "Dark Souls" might be over for now but I think From confirmed that there was a game with a similar vein being made right?

After what they achieved with Bloodborne that's more than fine by me.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Not really, "Dark Souls" might be over for now but I think From confirmed that there was a game with a similar vein being made right?

After what they achieved with Bloodborne that's more than fine by me.

Yes! Still it's going to be sad to say goodbye to all that lore. What a beautiful and fantastic universe. Can't wait to get my lore answers.

Manu

Mostly 7s, huh. The burnout is real it seems.

I'm sure I'm gonna love this (loved Ariandel too) but damn.

EDIT: Spoke too soon apparently!

Lakitu

st5fu
Oh, cool. Spoke too soon.

Bring it then.

Even though Ashes of Ariandel reviewed poorly, it's one of my favourite pieces of content in the game but it definitely feels like with most reviewers that there is some burnout there!

Getting kinda tempted to grab the season pass. Is there a way to respec at all though? I don't feel like sticking with my DEX build but can't really be bothered to start over.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Getting kinda tempted to grab the season pass. Is there a way to respec at all though? I don't feel like sticking with my DEX build but can't really be bothered to start over.

Rosaria can respec you/redo your face for a Pale Tongue.

Even though Ashes of Ariandel reviewed poorly, it's one of my favourite pieces of content in the game but it definitely feels like with most reviewers that there is some burnout there!

I wish From had just did like the Old Hunters and packaged Ashes and Ringed City together.
Then we'd have one DLC with 4 areas, 6 bosses, TONS OF NEW GEAR.

Lux R7

yeah you can respec in
Rosaria's Chamber in the Cathedral of the Deep, it costs a pale tongue.

DKF590

How's the scaling on the first dlc (and presumably this one) in ng+? Debating on either starting over or continuing the save I have.

Dropped my ng+ run because it started out pretty easy, but I might be misremembering. Bloodborne's dlc on ng+ was pretty challenging.

Excited to start this up tonight.

It does feel weird. Even though I think 3 is wrapping everything up, I still want more from this universe. I know other soul type games will be made but I still think more can be done with Dark Souls. I would even accept games made by the "B team" as Gaf calls them.

It does feel weird. Even though I think 3 is wrapping everything up, I still want more from this universe. I know other soul type games will be made but I still think more can be done with Dark Souls. I would even accept games made by the "B team" as Gaf calls them.

To be fair, DS3 was being made by the so-called B team (led by people from DS2) while it was in the concept stage and then Miyazaki got interested and started directing. Fresh ideas are needed, but I'd probably take something new over another journey to kindle the first flame.

To be fair, DS3 was being made by the so-called B team (led by people from DS2) while it was in the concept stage and then Miyazaki got interested and started directing. Fresh ideas are needed, but I'd probably take something new over another journey to kindle the first flame.

Pretty sure that I read something from Miyazaki saying that Namco Bandai owns the Souls IP, so they can do whatever they want. I wouldn't put it past them to sit on it for a little while and then get something going again.

Dark Souls may be "over", but I'd expect that maybe just this chapter of the larger world is wrapping up.

Pretty sure that I read something from Miyazaki saying that Namco Bandai owns the Souls IP, so they can do whatever they want. I wouldn't put it past them to sit on it for a little while and then get something going again.

Dark Souls may be "over", but I'd expect that maybe just this chapter of the larger world is wrapping up.

Oh, yeah.

Give them time, a mature engine, more experience on PS4/XB1 gen and a reinvention of the formula and I'll be there. For me, I want a shake up in aesthetics, more than anything. Bloodborne is kinda close, but far, and something like Nioh is obviously radically differnt but From are getting close to having their version of the BioWare formula (BioWare have like 4 or 5 story planets, then it's on to the final dungeon, From have a Castle, a Dragon on a wall etc).

The ownership is a mess. Bandai owns the Dark Souls trademark, Fromsoftware, owns the IP. But neither can do a game without each other.

Any way to catch up to the story before The Ringed City? Watched ENB play through Ariandel and it looked like a piece of content I am not interested in playing at all aside from the last boss. Therefore I only bought The Ringed City.

Please don't link Vaati.

Think I'll go into the DLC with my level 150 NG++ Morne gear character. Let's see if I can hammer my way through it.

Abelard

Any source on the final boss? It better be something memorable and climatic seeing as this may be the last piece of Dark Souls content.

BY2K

Membero Americo
This is the end of Dark Souls.

The First Flame finally fades.

The Age of Dark begins.

Sorry if that's too overdramatic.

I've been thinking about what From will do next quite a bit lately. We're coming off having three Soulsborne games in three years (four if you include Scholar of the First Sin) and they definitely need to step back from the franchise for a bit. At the same time, these games are too popular and well regarded for From to just let things go completely fallow. I could see getting a couple different "spiritual successors" in the years to come that have, hopefully, very different settings and their own unique mechanics but the same underlying philosophy.

I also would not be surprised if we see a current gen remaster of the first Dark Souls sometime soon. In fact I'm kind of surprised they haven't done so already.

I've been thinking about what From will do next quite a bit lately. We're coming off having three Soulsborne games in three years (four if you include Scholar of the First Sin) and they definitely need to step back from the franchise for a bit. At the same time, these games are too popular and well regarded for From to just let things go completely fallow. I could see getting a couple different "spiritual successors" in the years to come that have, hopefully, very different settings and their own unique mechanics but the same underlying philosophy.

I also would not be surprised if we see a current gen remaster of the first Dark Souls sometime soon. In fact I'm kind of surprised they haven't done so already.

I keep hoping for a cosmic sci-fi Souls, where you have a melee and ranged weapon (duh) but you augment them, changing stats and movesets, instead of whole new weapons.

Or Souls x Shin Megami Tensei in a post apocalyptic Tokyo.

Top Bottom