• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Greetings,

And wow, it took over a month to get validated to be able to join these boards. That's a little ridiculous, I had given up, but I didn't come here to complain about that.

Thank you to the OP for your work on this topic. When I edit the ini file to change the resolution I cannot save it. I am the administrator of the PC. Any help would be appreciated.

Windows 7

My registration wait time was measured in years, not months.

Assuming you've left all the user access control stuff at default, to be able to save you'll need to either save a copy of the .ini outside of the Program Files path and move it in afterward, or run Notepad as Administrator (right-click it on the Start menu to see this option).

Maj. Duty

Neo Member
Nine months or more to get in here? Yikes. I'll consider myself privileged, then, or lucky or both.

I'll try the suggestions posted so far. Thank you for chiming in. I'm about half way through the game and it's looking like DS will be the first game I ever play through a second time. Really digging it and looking forward to DS2.

Gvaz

Banned
You don't. It's a 16:9 game and 1920x1200 is not a 16:9 resolution. Altering this will either cause your view to be vertically stretched, crop your view horizontally, or extend your view vertically (cheating).

But I used to be able to do this with earlier versions of dsfix :|

also extending your view vert isn't cheating. i can't think of a single instance in DS where those extra 120 pixels would help you "cheat"

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

also extending your view vert isn't cheating. i can't think of a single instance in DS where those extra 120 pixels would help you "cheat"

Use widescreen fixer or Flawless Widescreen.

I've been using widescreen fixer for portrait screenshots and it works a beaut, so it should be able to render more for you as well.

Quick word of note is that when the game renders more vertically the camera tends to zoom in a bit so if you're not averse to using cheat engine it wouldn't be a terrible idea to use it to pull the camera back a bit

nowai

Heh, you'd be "cheating" yourself out of the "cinematic" experience like not running at 30fps. /rollseyes

P's, one month to get approved?! That's lightning speed.

RedSwirl

Can't seem to remember where DSfix backs up save files. The ini just says the "saves" folder but I don't know where that is. My Documents or the Steam folder?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Durante, is there a reason your mod would move the game-rendering to the top left while the HUD elements and FMV and everything else isn't shrunk into that window?

I haven't edited the default (last update was the 30th?) files besides making AA rendering 3 to see how clear the game gets without the PS3 default "fog" effect so I dunno why it's doing that.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Can't seem to find it. Do you have to actually designate a folder? Is there a way to force it to back up in-game?

Code:
F:\Users\Alo\Documents\NBGI\DarkSouls\*GFWL Name*

NBGI is I'm assuming Namco Bandai Games *something* (incroporated?)

Durante, is there a reason your mod would move the game-rendering to the top left while the HUD elements and FMV and everything else isn't shrunk into that window?

I haven't edited the default (last update was the 30th?) files besides making AA rendering 3 to see how clear the game gets without the PS3 default "fog" effect so I dunno why it's doing that.

Read the readme. Really. Please. For the love of god. Read it.

Disable in-game AA

Orayn

Did you make sure to

z508ee3a51da14.gif

coollogo_com-24305645otkwp.png

ibcHNVVvjLzWRG.gif

?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Read the readme. Really. Please. For the love of god. Read it.

Disable in-game AA

I must've missed that in the readme or the comments of the ini. I went down all of it and didn't see that. Hmmm...

doomquake

did we already figure out how to run 21:9 res? not sure what combination of dsfix res and widescreenfix i should use. everything fails :(

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
did we already figure out how to run 21:9 res? not sure what combination of dsfix res and widescreenfix i should use. everything fails :(

Set DSfix to the resolution you want to render at, set WidescreenFixer to the resolution you want to view at, set Dark Souls to the resolution you want to view at, you're golden.

doomquake

hey it worked but all the menus don't show up. i blindly started a savegame and the screen flickered on and there was ultrawidescreen darksouls!

elseanio

ey it works thanks! i just had to alt tab out and then back in and all the menus and huds show up! nghhhhhh :D

Could you tell me what settings you used for the DSFix ini? I'm still just getting a black screen at 21:9. I did manage to blindly load the game, but just a black screen (with the game running)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Are there any downsides playing this at 120fps (or higher)?

Yeah, definitely don't run it at 120fps for regular play. Running is totally glitched as well as slopes. Sprinting on almost any slope makes you run at a crawls pace. Totally wonky.

Yeah, definitely don't run it at 120fps for regular play. Running is totally glitched as well as slopes. Sprinting on almost any slope makes you run at a crawls pace. Totally wonky.

lol, yeah I noticed. Are running and slopes the only things that are (noticeably) affected though?

Would it be possible to cap the framerate at, say, 90, to avoid these issues?

Gonna experiment with different frequencies next session.

mephixto

Banned
lol, yeah I noticed. Are running and slopes the only things that are (noticeably) affected though?

Would it be possible to cap the framerate at, say, 90, to avoid these issues?

Gonna experiment with different frequencies next session.

Well at least some people can walk, my character clip the ground and star falling to his doom at 120fps.

Durante

:/ i want to believe

dump011__oldrendertar5vjmo.png
That's the Z buffer. It's rather easy to see that, just change the SSAO shader to output the Z buffer instead of computing SSAO and adding it on top of the color buffer :p

Edit: Also, regarding the discussion above, I really wouldn't recommend going above 60 FPS in DS. Too much wonky stuff happens.

doomquake

so i "just" recompile with adjusted code or what? do i need flux capacitor? where am i!

**edit: ah sorry i get it now - just have to edit the .fx

This might not have anything to do with dsfix in particular, but I'm trying to run the game in borderless window mode and the game insists on starting up with the window 100px down and to the right. Anyone run into this or know how to fix it? I wind up having to toggle the settings back to fullscreen and then windowed again and manually position the window in the center of the screen. I lose the benefits of borderless windowed mode when this happens, and the game doesn't remember the window position either - next time I start it up, it's back to the 100px offset.

ss_lemonade

Started playing Dark Souls with Durante's magic and man, the difference is crazy. I noticed one bug though. Sometimes my framerate would default back to 30fps and later on bring itself back to 60. Is this a known issue? I think it randomly happens when I bring up the Windows Live menu

Started playing Dark Souls with Durante's magic and man, the difference is crazy. I noticed one bug though. Sometimes my framerate would default back to 30fps and later on bring itself back to 60. Is this a known issue? I think it randomly happens when I bring up the Windows Live menu

Did you press backspace?

Durante

There is a key you can bind to temporarily limit the framerate to 30 (required for a jump). Maybe you have that bound to the same key as the GFWL menu, or maybe you used it in the overlay.

Durante

This! Thanks, didn't know backspace would switch between the framerates. I normally use Steam's browser or GFWL's messaging tool so yeah, that was it
You can change it to any other key that's more convenient for you, or disable the keybinding entirely (in the DSFixKeys.ini file)

Ah, it says VK_BACK, I take it that's backspace? Good to know, I'll try it.
Yes, I think/hope there should be a list of key names in that file.

Seanspeed

Banned
Need some help as I'm absolutely *hopeless* when it comes to modding games. Can never, ever figure out somebody instruction's without help.

Problem is I don't see this d3d9.dll file anywhere. I put the .ini file into the right directory, pretty sure and modified it to the proper resolution, but this .dll file is nowhere to be seen.

EDIT: Ok, I think the directions in the OP are outdated. Saw some new ones. Think I've done everything right.

Now the game wont load in online mode for some fucking reason. I know that's probably unrelated, but jesus. Why doesn't anything ever just work right?

EDIT2: Alright, think I've got everything working ok. Nevermind!

mileS

Framerate is locked at 30 for me. Not sure what is going on.

I've tried rebinding the key. Checking the other files. I haven't changed anything besides rebinding the lock to 30 to f10

Top Bottom