• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
How do i do that?

Open Nvidia control panel, on the left hand side, select "Adjust desktop size and position", set scaling to "Aspect Ratio" and set "Perform Scaling On" to "GPU".

Set in game resolution to a 16:9 aspect ratio res (1920x1080, 2560x1440, etc etc).

Should get you letterboxed gameplay.

Skelter

Banned
I really want to finish Dark Souls before Dark Souls II comes out so I downloaded it again and applied the fix. I managed to get the resolution working and it looks great but when I unlock the framerate the game crashes on startup. I have no idea what is going on. Anyone have a clue?

I posted this in another Dark Souls thread, but I thought I should post it here as well because it fits here better:

Something I have been wondering for quite a while is why DS doesn't have more visual mods like ENB shaders for Skyrim.

Basically I want to know, why exactly is it fairly easy to modify and add shaders for Skyrim ? Doesn't DSfix modify functions the same way that ENB series does for Skyrim? Why can't we use more complex effects, like bokeh, in Dark Souls? Is it possible and just no one is making an effort?

ENB can run with DS, but there's not a lot you can do with it right now. Pretty much the same as what you can do with Sweet Effects, just contrast and color correction.

All of these mods basically do the same thing, but only Skyrim really gets impressive looking lighting and whatnot. I'd love to know exactly why this is the case.

UrbanRats

Open Nvidia control panel, on the left hand side, select "Adjust desktop size and position", set scaling to "Aspect Ratio" and set "Perform Scaling On" to "GPU".

Set in game resolution to a 16:9 aspect ratio res (1920x1080, 2560x1440, etc etc).

Should get you letterboxed gameplay.

I'm on ATI atm (waiting for those Maxwells!) but i'll try an equivalent route, thanks!

UrbanRats

I really want to finish Dark Souls before Dark Souls II comes out so I downloaded it again and applied the fix. I managed to get the resolution working and it looks great but when I unlock the framerate the game crashes on startup. I have no idea what is going on. Anyone have a clue?

You have to whitelist DATA.exe (in the Dark Souls directory) in the DEP (Data Execution Prevention).
Here's how:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Change-Data-Execution-Prevention-settings?SignedIn=1

(I don't think you need to reboot the PC, btw).
--
Sorry for the double post.

Parsnip

I posted this in another Dark Souls thread, but I thought I should post it here as well because it fits here better:

This is totally second hand information, but as far as I recall about ENB shaders specifically, Boris (the guy who does ENB) just doesn't like Dark Souls so he hasn't made specialized ENB for it.

Haunted

What's causing the screen to turn yellow/white when this is enabled and how do I fix it? Everything is default, AA disabled in game and in DSFix

e- this is what happens
NoXHKDz.jpg
praise the sun!

JimPanzer

What's causing the screen to turn yellow/white when this is enabled and how do I fix it? Everything is default, AA disabled in game and in DSFix

e- this is what happens
NoXHKDz.jpg

this happens to me too if disable fullscreen in the game settings. try turning it on or experiment with the borderless window option in the DSFix ini

neoism

guys does anyone get stuttering with dsfix 22 basically anywhere it would load the level it stutters and the fps goes to shit... I'm only using dsfix and sweetfx and I took out the DINPUT8.dll
and it stopped but looked a lot worse.. wtf man I used an older version but cant remember the version # plus Im playing on an SSD now?
system is
i5 2.7x4
Radeon 5870 1gbvram
drivers are 13.1
8gb ram

can anyone help pls

guys does anyone get stuttering with dsfix 22 basically anywhere it would load the level it stutters and the fps goes to shit... I'm only using dsfix and sweetfx and I took out the DINPUT8.dll
and it stopped but looked a lot worse.. wtf man I used an older version but cant remember the version # plus Im playing on an SSD now?
system is
i5 2.7x4
Radeon 5870 1gbvram
drivers are 13.1
8gb ram

can anyone help pls

If you removed dinput8.dll you basically removed DSfix entirely. Older versions used d3d9.dll, that's the one you should remove from your Dark Souls folder if it's present there. Those versions don't work on the current version of the game anyway.

Could someone please post their DarkSouls.ini (typically found in C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\NBGI\DarkSouls)?

Thanks

Here are the contents of mine:-
Code:
[DisplaySetting]
WindowMode = 1
[DisplaySettingWindow]
Left = 0
Top = 0
Width = 1920
Height = 1080
[DisplaySettingFullScreen]
Width = 1920
Height = 1080
ColorDepth = 32
Format = 7
RefreshRate = 60
[DisplaySettingFilter]
Blur = 0
Antialiasing = 0
ForceDisableAA = 0
[KeyConfigMove]
Forward = 87
Back = 83
Right = 68
Left = 65
WalkForward = 262231
WalkBack = 262227
WalkRight = 262212
WalkLeft = 262209
[KeyConfigCamera]
Up = 73
Down = 75
Right = 76
Left = 74
Lockon = 79
[KeyConfigEquip]
ChangeRightWep = 86
ChangeLeftWep = 67
ChangeGoods = 70
ChangeMagic = 82
[KeyConfigAction]
RightAction = 72
RightSubAction = 85
LeftAction = 1048576
LeftSubAction = 9
UseGoods = 69
BackStep = 32
Action = 81
ChangeArmStyle = 65536
[KeyConfigMenuDisp]
MenuDisp = 35
Gesture = 71
Live = 36
[KeyConfigMenuCtrl]
Up = 38
Down = 40
Left = 37
Right = 39
Enter = 13
Cancel = 8
Func1 = 45
Func2 = 46
NextMenu = 33
PrevMenu = 34

sqwarlock

Just got a new video card that can run this at 3840x2160 with no problem, but even with SMAA at 4 it still looks really aliased. I changed presentWidth/Height to my monitor's resolution (1920x1080) and it looks sharp as hell, but the UI doesn't scale anymore and the textures don't look as sharp. Does that setting not do what I thought it did--which was downscale the render resolution to the monitor's resolution--or is it just not an ideal thing to use?

I changed presentWidth/Height to my monitor's resolution (1920x1080) and it looks sharp as hell, but the UI doesn't scale anymore and the textures don't look as sharp. Does that setting not do what I thought it did--which was downscale the render resolution to the monitor's resolution--or is it just not an ideal thing to use?

I'm in a similar boat wrt the HUD scaling not working.

I don't think I've ever thanked Durante for his work, but this seems to be the best place to do it. So thank you, Sir.

After being afraid of unlocking the FPS for the longest time due to GFWL ban warning and sliding through floors, I did it and its pretty awesome. Just gotta fix the screen tearing somehow, the vsync in the dsfix doesn't seem to be doing the job, I'll try Rivatuner.

I don't think I've ever thanked Durante for his work, but this seems to be the best place to do it. So thank you, Sir.

After being afraid of unlocking the FPS for the longest time due to GFWL ban warning and sliding through floors, I did it and its pretty awesome. Just gotta fix the screen tearing somehow, the vsync in the dsfix doesn't seem to be doing the job, I'll try Rivatuner.

D3DOverrider is doing a perfect job for me in that regard.

Also unlocked the FPS recently, haven't had any bugs, so happy with that.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
What kind of CPU are we talking about if I'm to try and lock the game at 60fps?

I have a 1900x1200 monitor and a gtx 770 OC 2gig, any recommendation for settings? I should be able to do some downsampling? but I'm kinda noob on these things

I have a 1900x1200 monitor and a gtx 770 OC 2gig, any recommendation for settings? I should be able to do some downsampling? but I'm kinda noob on these things

Due to the poor threading of the game and its reliance on mainly 1 CPU core (as compared to DkS 2 which has excellent multicore CPU usage that scales with the number of cores at its disposal, which means good GPU utilization as a result), a highly clocked Sandy+ i5/i7 (with good single threaded performance) is your best bet. Even then, dips in Blighttown are unavoidable.

DkS 2 really, really fixed all of the above issues and then some. It lends credence to their PC first policy when developing the 2nd game. Can barely keep 30+ FPS at 900p in DkS1 with DSfix and the unlocked framerate option, but in DkS 2, I can jack it to 1080p and keep mostly 40 - 60 FPS with High settings + Medium shadows/effects.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Due to the poor threading of the game and its reliance on mainly 1 CPU core (as compared to DkS 2 which has excellent multicore CPU usage that scales with the number of cores at its disposal, which means good GPU utilization as a result), a highly clocked Sandy+ i5/i7 (with good single threaded performance) is your best bet. Even then, dips in Blighttown are unavoidable.

DkS 2 really, really fixed all of the above issues and then some. It lends credence to their PC first policy when developing the 2nd game. Can barely keep 30+ FPS at 900p in DkS1 with DSfix and the unlocked framerate option, but in DkS 2, I can jack it to 1080p and keep mostly 40 - 60 FPS with High settings + Medium shadows/effects.

To offer a dissenting opinion, I held a really stable framerate in blighttown and if rendering at 1080p 60fps without many of the DSFix bells and whistles I could stay 60 throughout most of the game.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, will try to unlock FR tomorrow. My 770 certainly should handle it, even though my i5 is a couple of years old :/

Have anyone really experienced getting banned from gfwl for doing so?

I have a 4400 and it never goes below 40FPS. I generally lock it at that framerate, keeps the bugs at a minimum: the only one I consistently get is fallind down the world when sliding down the ladder near the drake.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Ok, will try to unlock FR tomorrow. My 770 certainly should handle it, even though my i5 is a couple of years old :/

Have anyone really experienced getting banned from gfwl for doing so?

GFWL is getting shut down in June, so I doubt they'll be banning anybody.

Parsnip

And even if it weren't shutting down (and to be fair, LIVE as a service will still be alive on 360 and Xbone, so a ban would affect those as well I imagine), no one has actually gotten banned for unlocking the framerate, that we have heard anyway. And we've all done it, and nothing happened.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Anyway, tried unlocking the framerate, but the game crashes on start-up now. Any ideas?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Well that means I've been playing the game under the impression that I had to get to a bonfire to save for about 15 hours.

Heh. You can't quit in the middle of the boss and come back to the same point, you will spawn outside the fog gate with the boss at full health.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Anyway, tried unlocking the framerate, but the game crashes on start-up now. Any ideas?

dumbass.. Turns out I had installed an old version of the fix. Now it runs like butter locked @60

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Is 16:10 resolutions not supported?

I've been trying to set resolution to 1920x1200, but it seems to be running at 1920x1080 no matter what.

edit: Ok, I think it was restored to 1920x1080 in the game settings some what. But it is still not running at complete full screen.

TUSR

Banned
Is 16:10 resolutions not supported?

I've been trying to set resolution to 1920x1200, but it seems to be running at 1920x1080 no matter what.

edit: Ok, I think it was restored to 1920x1080 in the game settings some what. But it is still not running at complete full screen.

Ill give it a try later and see what i can do.

molnizzle

Yo. I picked up this game from the Steam sale last weekend and was able to finally get DSfix running after disabling the custom D3D setting in Afterburner. It works great! Unbelievable improvement over the original now that it's rendering at native 1080p with maxed SMAA and VSSAO2.

My question is about downsampling. I take it that I can use the DSfix INI to accomplish that, but if I do, would I need to mess with any other settings like DoF and the like? And if so, how would I go about figuring out which settings those are? Should I just use GeDoSaTo — or is that not possible/recommended for the first game?

Thanks. :)

Top Bottom