• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Ceebs

So apparently a 670 can't handle this game at 5120X2880 with max DOF resolution. It looked pretty, but ran like a console game when outdoors. Jumped up to 30 again when I went inside.

DrBo42

Anyone know how to get around the game/mod running with an integrated Intel card instead of a dedicated card? I tried forcing the dark souls exe to run with the dedicated GPU but it seems to be whatever the mod is doing that's interfering.

cyen

Anyone know how to get around the game/mod running with an integrated Intel card instead of a dedicated card? I tried forcing the dark souls exe to run with the dedicated GPU but it seems to be whatever the mod is doing that's interfering.

It´s an nvidia card? Lots of people reporting that they cant choose the dedicated GPU even when selecting the game for high performance mode.

I have an 6770M that has switchable graphics and i have some inconsistnt fps, ive recorded a video where im standing still and my fps hovers between 28 and 17 without doing anything. Realy strange, considering that im able to play the great majority of games with a mix of medium\high options enabled.

DrBo42

It´s an nvidia card? Lots of people reporting that they cant choose the dedicated GPU even when selecting the game for high performance mode.

I have an 6770M that has switchable graphics and i have some inconsistnt fps, ive recorded a video where im standing still and my fps hovers between 28 and 17 without doing anything. Realy strange, considering that im able to play the great majority of games with a mix of medium\high options enabled.

Yeah it's a 650M. It's not leaving Integrated (Intel HD 4000) mode.

If you have Optimus as far as I know there is no known solution as of yet, using the Nvidia control panel to force GPU doesn't work. We'll see if something gets done down the road, but it seems like a pretty complicated issue. It's an issue with the dll not working with Optimus, it's come up in other mods as well.

Camwi

Just wanted to give you all the thanks in the world, Durante. My interest in this port was almost non-existent due to the lack of effort, and you single-handedly revitalized everything.

In other words, I love you.

DrBo42

If you have Optimus as far as I know there is no known solution as of yet, using the Nvidia control panel to force GPU doesn't work. We'll see if something gets done down the road, but it seems like a pretty complicated issue. It's an issue with the dll not working with Optimus, it's come up in other mods as well.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Durante

Version 0.5 up now

No huge changes in this one, some small features people have been asking for and a tweak to the text box / button cut-off fix.

As for the Optimus issue: I know this is a big deal to those with NV laptops, but the only way to really fix it
1) is quite some effort to implement
2) may get the fix flagged as a cheat
I suggest bugging NV to make Optimus actually work as advertised (that is, by detecting DirectX, and not by a whitelist of executables)

scitek

So apparently a 670 can't handle this game at 5120X2880 with max DOF resolution. It looked pretty, but ran like a console game when outdoors. Jumped up to 30 again when I went inside.

Keep DOF at 1080 or lower and the internal res around 1620 if you never want any drops with a 670. Durante said earlier 2160 DOF is for people with 690s and the like.

Durante

I have a 660 ti (OCed) and run 3072x2160 (exactly 9x original) with 1080 DoF. The only time I've ever seen framedrops is upon activating a bonfire (which makes sense, what with the multilayered fullscreen blending effect).

mash440

Neo Member
Version 0.5 up now

No huge changes in this one, some small features people have been asking for and a tweak to the text box / button cut-off fix.

As for the Optimus issue: I know this is a big deal to those with NV laptops, but the only way to really fix it
I suggest bugging NV to make Optimus actually work as advertised (that is, by detecting DirectX, and not by a whitelist of executables)

I'm getting a picture that only takes up a 1/4 of the screen? What am I doing wrong... Is there some setting that I need to turn off...

Just kidding... Thanks for this addon Durante! We really appreciate all the work you've put into it.

Ceebs

Keep DOF at 1080 or lower and the internal res around 1620 if you never want any drops with a 670. Durante said earlier 2160 DOF is for people with 690s and the like.

I have been playing fine at my native 1440p with the DOF at 2160. I just decided to see how it would run at 2X native res.

Haunted

I'm getting a picture that only takes up a 1/4 of the screen? What am I doing wrong... Is there some setting that I need to turn off...

Just kidding...
ihfHZgzZTWRkN.gif

You had me going for a second there.

curttard

Banned
With this fix, am I unable to apply any other antialiasing, as from Nvidia Inspector for example? I tried it and it didn't seem to do anything, but I'm not sure if there are other steps I have to take.

Zeliard

Updated version of what?? I need this done

A program called FlawlessWidescreen.

I got overly excited because I was able to use it for more than 5 seconds without it crashing like it was before the update, but it's a very rough 16:10 implementation as of now (the fix is mostly meant for triple-screen gaming). It is reducing the FOV so that the screen is filled up, so you are losing out on screen space. I wouldn't mess with it unless you really, really hate letterbox. Personally while I would love for 16:10 to function, letterbox is okay with me (I play PS3 games on this monitor so I'm pretty accustomed to 1080p letterboxing).

EasyMode

With this fix, am I unable to apply any other antialiasing, as from Nvidia Inspector for example? I tried it and it didn't seem to do anything, but I'm not sure if there are other steps I have to take.

Unless someone can find Inspector settings that enable MSAA, we seems to be limited to forcing FXAA in control panel and downsampling in the .ini file.

Is there really an arena in the new content? Can somebody explain to me how it works, without telling spoilers (history wise)?

The game is awesome and very beautiful!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
New patch seems to crash the game on boot with the steam overlay on, and without it crashes after loading a save.

Rebooted and the game works now. So I guess it was just my computer being flaky.

Edit: Nevermind crashed when I got back to the Depths and now it won't boot with .5 sometimes or will crash after a bit. Going back to .4 for now.

Zzoram

Version 0.5 up now

Awesome! Could you update the OP with this new version? Thanks.

d0c_zaius

wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem:

Its weird but when I load the game, its 15 fps no matter where I go or what I do, then as soon as I use a bonfire, it goes to 30 and stays there.

"The fix is to open up the DarkSouls.ini file and manually set your fullscreen resolution and monitor's framerate there.

The .ini file is located here: C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Local\NBGI\DarkSouls\DarkSouls.ini

Some people have reported that using HDMI rather than DisplayPort also resolves the issue."

I wanted to try this but it seems I don't have a DarkSouls.ini file there. I'm playing on a tv with hdmi.

FtsH

Any chance this game will work for NV surround? I tested 5760x1080, screen goes black but I can still hear the sound when I move mouse around and make choice.

Version 0.5 up now

BloodyBonzai

Neo Member
Are you sure that's the real reason? Without any mods, it needs less horsepower to keep it at 30fps. Does your system have the necessary overhead for the extra requirements?
When I remove the MOD out of the game directory and start the game D3DOverrider makes a distinct ringing sound to let you know it is active, which I hear in this instance as well as any other DirectX game I have played since it came out. But when I put the MOD in and start up the game there is no ringing. That is how I know it is active without the MOD but inactive with the MOD.
Wait so what is the cause of the game getting stuck at 15 fps? Since the 0.4 version this has been happening to me.
You need to lower your settings more to get your fps back up to 30 which depending on what area your in can be more demanding on your hardware. The other reason is to hope that Durante either makes D3DOverrider compatible with his fix, or implements his own fix in his MOD that acts the same as D3DOverrider. This way you wont have any jumps in fps, you will only have your actual fps most likely maxed at 30fps considering I believe the game engine is built around 30fps and any higher will break the game.
wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem:

Its weird but when I load the game, its 15 fps no matter where I go or what I do, then as soon as I use a bonfire, it goes to 30 and stays there.

"The fix is to open up the DarkSouls.ini file and manually set your fullscreen resolution and monitor's framerate there.

The .ini file is located here: C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Local\NBGI\DarkSouls\DarkSouls.ini

Some people have reported that using HDMI rather than DisplayPort also resolves the issue."

I wanted to try this but it seems I don't have a DarkSouls.ini file there. I'm playing on a tv with hdmi.
Getting 30fps when you go to a bonfire but 15fps everywhere else is craziness. My only recommendation is lowering your settings until you get 30fps everywhere.

Ledsen

So with my i5 2500k @4.5 GHz and a GTX 560 Ti, should I be able to run 2560x1440 with a 1080 DoF pyramid, keeping 30 fps at all times? If not, what should I lower? How demanding is the 1080 DoF, and is 540 sufficient (visual quality wise)?

So with my i5 2500k @4.5 GHz and a GTX 560 Ti, should I be able to run 2560x1440 with a 1080 DoF pyramid, keeping 30 fps at all times? If not, what should I lower? How demanding is the 1080 DoF, and is 540 sufficient (visual quality wise)?

I have the same setup as you. 1080 dof is too much for my system to handle. 540 Looks great, and Framerate locks at 30.

I say run 3840x2160 with 540 DOF. Looks wonderful and runs like a champ on a 560ti.

Jeramii

Banned
i had to turn down my super sampling levels (revert back to 1920x1080) when i got too blighttown. for some reason it would randomly kill my framerate. I believe it was when it was loading more content. Either way it got annoying. Ran fine and looked good after that.

Ledsen

I have the same setup as you. 1080 dof is too much for my system to handle. 540 Looks great, and Framerate locks at 30.

I say run 3840x2160 with 540 DOF. Looks wonderful and runs like a champ on a 560ti.

Sounds great, thanks a ton :) will try on my lunch break.

Hypron

Hey guys, maybe someone can help me with this... The game really runs like dogshit on my computer (Q6700 @ 2.8Ghz, HD6770), whether I use the fix or not... I've got very frequent drops to 15 fps, especially in the new areas (which seem to be running at 15 fps more frequently than 30...). It's hardly a good experience...

I tried turning up all the options in the CCC but that didn't seem to do anything at all, I've still got a very similar framerate. Is there any other known fix for that? Damn whoever thought releasing a badly optimized game with no graphical option whatsoever was a good idea.

Corto

I managed to get SSAO working on my PC with zero performance hit. Not sure if it will hold though. I just followed the steps that guy posted on your blog Durante. I added the data.exe file to the Nvidia Inspector profile and not the darksouls.exe as that is only the launcher and I had no problems with it.

Sorry for the compressed images, hope they illustrate the effect well enough...

2012-08-27_00003.jpg

2012-08-27_00004.jpg

I managed to get SSAO working on my PC with zero performance hit. Not sure if it will hold though. I just followed the steps that guy posted on your blog Durante. I added the data.exe file to the Nvidia Inspector profile and not the darksouls.exe as that is only the launcher and I had no problems with it.

2012-08-27_00003.jpg

2012-08-27_00004.jpg

I also had no trouble getting it to work, only problem was it crippled my frame rate so I left it off.

Corto

Are you using Skyrim compatibility? Which drivers?

Skyrim compatibility, yes, and 301.42 drivers. My gpu is a GTX570 OC'ed and I have an i7 870 2,93 Ghz stock clock. I am double nervous because of the game itself plus expecting the performance to hit a wall at any moment... hehehehe

Top Bottom