• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Thank you! I could have sworn I had it on 32 bit but I checked after your post and sure enough it was 16.

I think the game changes that setting sometimes for some reason, mine starting doing that too and sure enough it had set the color to 16 bit by itself.

Sullichin

Thank you! I could have sworn I had it on 32 bit but I checked after your post and sure enough it was 16.

Yeah a few pages back I posted screenshots and someone pointed out I was in 16 bit color mode. I could have sworn I was on 32 bit mode too.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So you have the game set to 3200x1800, then are internally rendering at 6400x3600? So you're downsampling twice?

I have a GTX 670, too, but I can't seem to maintain a steady framerate like that.

Yeah pretty much.

Oh heavens no my framerate isn't stable, I'm just messing about. In blighttown I'm constantly at 15, no point in playing like that... just fiddling around with the settings.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
As someone with a modest video card (GTX 260) that can only run the game around 1.5x native res, SMAA sounds absolutely perfect for me! I'll test it out as soon as I'm able and let you know if it crashes or does anything strange.

I'm on a 560 ti/2500k @ 4.5 ghz and i can't run 2560x1440 to 1080p without getting slowdowns to ~20-24 fps when doing ripostes or backstabs. Everything is perfectly smooth at 1920x1080 though

Shiden

Banned
are you serious?gtfo with that rude shit (and what a silly request).

Durante the best x 1000000000. Thanks to him I spent all my labor day weekend playing DS!

Well, my apologies if I was "being rude". I have this pet peeve with people ignoring me. If I ask a question, I usually expect an answer. I don't see how what I am asking for is a silly request. If I am the only person that would make use of it then yes I am willing to bet it is a silly request. But I highly doubt I am the only person with a monitor + TV setup that doesn't want the taskbar+icons to show up on the secondary display.

@zephervack: If I set my TV as my primary then my taskbar and desktop icons will appear on it, which is what I want to avoid.

About my first request as well, regarding FPS display with the fix. It is because I don't want any unnecessary programs/overlays running when they really don't need to be. So what I ask seems like a valid feature that anyone would appreciate.

catabarez

Well, my apologies if I was "being rude". I have this pet peeve with people ignoring me. If I ask a question, I usually expect an answer. I don't see how what I am asking for is a silly request. If I am the only person that would make use of it then yes I am willing to bet it is a silly request. But I highly doubt I am the only person with a monitor + TV setup that doesn't want the taskbar+icons to show up on the secondary display.

@zephervack: If I set my TV as my primary then my taskbar and desktop icons will appear on it, which is what I want to avoid.

About my first request as well, regarding FPS display with the fix. It is because I don't want any unnecessary programs/overlays running when they really don't need to be. So what I ask seems like a valid feature that anyone would appreciate.

Chill out. This guy is doing it all by himself. You think there aren't other people that didn't immediately get their questions answered? Get off that high horse and appreciate what has been done so far.

Corky

So it's identical to the console version then?

Rofl pretty much...

well other than that one of the versions is pushing 23 million pixels on the screen while the other is at 0.74 million... just a modest ~31x difference xD

I have this pet peeve with people ignoring me. If I ask a question, I usually expect an answer.

Pardon him milord he didn't know better.

Why do you deserve an answer?

Sethos

Banned

How about you just chill the fuck out princess.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Crazy stuff, just installed Dark Souls on my wife's laptop which is a ASUS X73E-BH51...and it ran without the fix at around 30-12fps depending on the area for the hour I played!!! Could this game really be that CPU intensive to run relatively well on integrated Intel graphics? Weird, I was expecting 5-10fps. Will try with the fix soon.

Use the borderless windowed mode that is part of the DSfix. When the game starts make sure it is in windowed and not fullscreen. Drag the game over to the second monitor and press F8, this was a part of DSfix 0.6:

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=131

Corky

Wait is it just some placebo effect or has the performance gotten better when going from Fix 4 to Fix 9?

Well, my apologies if I was "being rude". I have this pet peeve with people ignoring me. If I ask a question, I usually expect an answer.
You're still being rude.

If nobody replies to a question on a forum, it has probably been missed or nobody with an answer happened to be reading that page at the time. So after a reasonable amount of time, you can quote yourself/ask it again in case you get a response on the second attempt. By suggesting that you are entitled to an answer, you're not going to get many positive responses.

Shiden

Banned
Weird, I am pretty chillax right now. If anyone needs to chill it's the people on my ass for nothing. How about we stay on topic mmkay? (@catabarez I DO appreciate all the work Durante has done for this game. Whoever assumes I don't must have a worm up their bum bum.)

Hmm only seems to take screenshots of the actual framebuffer size. I'm using 1600x900 render res @ 1680x1050 display res. SMAA=2
Ld53Z.jpg

Looks pretty awesome. I wish I could get AO to work without using Nvidia Inspector, possible? :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Weird, I am pretty chillax right now. If anyone needs to chill it's the people on my ass for nothing. How about we stay on topic mmkay? (@catabarez I DO appreciate all the work Durante has done for this game. Whoever assumes I don't must have a worm up their bum bum.)

First an over-inflated sense of entitlement, then playing the victim. I don't know how old you are, but you're going to have to grow out of that someday.

catabarez

Hmm only seems to take screenshots of the actual framebuffer size. I'm using 1600x900 render res @ 1680x1050 display res. SMAA=2
Ld53Z.jpg

Looks pretty awesome. I wish I could get AO to work without using Nvidia Inspector, possible? :(

Well then go ahead and word things properly as to not come off that way as suggested above. It may not seem like what you said was rude, but it most definitely was. Chillaxed or not.

So I thought I removed everything from DSfix, but when I launch the .exe it creates another dsfix file. What file am I missing that is still lingering?

Edit: looks like some D3D9 dll file? I deleted local content, plus that file and going to try again.

Corky

Is that the Tomb of Giants? I was curious how you got the background to be darker.

Nah it's blighttown, I think the reason the background is darker is due to (?) the dynamic contrast system the game has, I think it's the combination of the bloom from the armor and the otherwise dark background cranking it up to 11 making the playermodel shine like crazy and the background dark as hell.

edit :

Anyone encountered this before? The game runs flawlessly and then upon dying it locks to 15 fps in the very same area where the performance was previously perfect. Tabbing in and out usually fixed this for me but with the most recent version if I tab in and out I'm presented with a white screen and a subsequent crash each time.

Durante

Wait is it just some placebo effect or has the performance gotten better when going from Fix 4 to Fix 9?
There could have been a small performance increase from 0.7 to 0.8. Everything beyond that is most likely placebo ;)

The game is now a playable bullshot. I love it!
That one (in its original 6k AA'd glory) is the first real "press shot" Dark Souls ever had.

Ledsen

I'm going to donate some bucks to you Durante, I can't thank you enough for this fix.

I have to wonder if a single fuck was given to what I had to ask. :|

What the fuck is wrong with people...
edit: after reading your replies, you seem like an entitled dick. Get over yourself.

- J - D -

Oh cool! You integrated SMAA into the mod. I was using SMAA Injector prior + MSAA. I appreciate the effort even though SMAA doesn't make a marked improvement to me when I have MSAA set to 4x, which does a fine job of eliminating much of the aliasing. I wonder if 2x MSAA + SMAA would yield comparable results but with a better framerate.

Currently, I've turned on SSAO with MSAA x4 and my fps stays at 30 most of the time, but whenever any large beast gets on screen, my frames take a bit of a tumble.

Once again, thank you for your (seemingly) tireless work, Durante.

S0N0S

Wow. Tried this fix last night. The difference is night and day. Thank you so much for pointing this out. I didn't even know I could enable down-mixing so easily in the first place.

Between this fix and the progress Durante has made with DSfix, this version of Dark Souls is turning out to be the superior one. It's just a shame m/k controls are still relatively awful -even with this fix- and cheating could potentially ruin multiplayer. Thanks again Durante, and thanks for the link scitek.

In the meantime, check out this video, sign the petition, and maybe From will do something. If they just go through a few bans waves, that may be enough to scare off future would-be cheaters once their $40 is on the line.

Corky

edit :

Anyone encountered this before? The game runs flawlessly and then upon dying it locks to 15 fps in the very same area where the performance was previously perfect. Tabbing in and out usually fixed this for me but with the most recent version if I tab in and out I'm presented with a white screen and a subsequent crash each time.

Quoting myself, found the solution it was the forced AF that I had set to "2", so if anyone experiences those problems I mention above do as the ini suggests and set force filtering to 0, fixed my problems.

chris100185

Neo Member
Wow. Tried this fix last night. The difference is night and day. Thank you so much for pointing this out. I didn't even know I could enable down-mixing so easily in the first place.

Between this fix and the progress Durante has made with DSfix, this version of Dark Souls is turning out to be the superior one. It's just a shame m/k controls are still relatively awful -even with this fix- and cheating could potentially ruin multiplayer. Thanks again Durante, and thanks for the link scitek.

In the meantime, check out this video, sign the petition, and maybe From will do something. If they just go through a few bans waves, that may be enough to scare off future would-be cheaters once their $40 is on the line.

Just wish I could get it working. I've tried both the Realtek fix for my onboard sound, and the Asus fix for my Xonar DS and neither of them work.

S0N0S

Wow some people actually play this with keyboard and mouse?

My friend is new to Dark Souls and she is streaming her first playthrough using k/m on Twitch. Check out her archives if you want to get an idea of what it's like. Personally I think she's doing pretty good, all things considered, and she doesn't rage when she fails, so she's at least very patient. And I think she's going to implement this mouse fix, so maybe she'll start doing even better.

Zzoram

My friend is new to Dark Souls and she is streaming her first playthrough using k/m on Twitch. Check out her archives if you want to get an idea of what it's like. Personally I think she's doing pretty good, all things considered, and she doesn't rage when she fails, so she's at least very patient. And I think she's going to implement this mouse fix, so maybe she'll start doing even better.

Those videos are all named exactly the same.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, well. So much for Shiden.

I like how unreasonable manchildren quickly meet their demise here, but it's also really sad at the same time to know just how many of them are out there.

Gvaz

Banned
Durante question!

Does the SMAA integration use the the 2.6 that the injector uses, or the 2.7 provided by the original developer (the one that contains SMAA S2x and 4x features)?
2.7 apparently also has better performance I hear.

Question for anyone who is good at this stuff. Is it likely that making the UI more transparent is possible in the future? I only ask because I'd like to hook my PC up to my Plasma, but the PS3 version created some pretty bad image retention for the souls counter in the bottom left.

scitek

Glad it helped. Now if I could just figure out a way to downmix stereo out via HDMI from an Nvidia card. :/

scitek

Durante question!

Does the SMAA integration use the the 2.6 that the injector uses, or the 2.7 provided by the original developer (the one that contains SMAA S2x and 4x features)?
2.7 apparently also has better performance I hear.

Is there any way to use 2.7 via injector?

Gvaz

Banned
Is there any way to use 2.7 via injector?
No you'd have to recompile it from the source, and no one's stepped up because the guy who made the injector has said that 2.7 is way too different and it's too much work. He also has not released his source code so everyone in the blogpost has no idea what to do.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hey Durante. Would changing from the d3d9.dll to the DINPUT8.dll give any loss of performance?

I've been using the last version of the mod that uses d3d9.dll (I think it was 06?) because nothing added after it peaked my interest. Now that the Logo Skip works, I decided to change to the newest version (and to try some SMAA) and I'm getting a lower performance, even with SMAA turned off. For instance: The bridge to New Londo now drops my framerate to 15 fps, something that didn't happen before.

I'm obviously using the same resolution settings (2560x1600 rendering and 1080 DOF Override). Everything else is turned off (I use Gamesave Manager for backups and I didn't see any difference by turning on MSAA, other than shittier performance).

Any idea what could be doing that?

Edit: Wait, Catalyst turned off the forced 2x AA I had set for the game. Maybe that was it. Nevermind.

Hey Durante. Would changing from the d3d9.dll to the DINPUT8.dll give any loss of performance?

I've been using the last version of the mod that uses d3d9.dll (I think it was 06?) because nothing added after it peaked my interest. Now that the Logo Skip works, I decided to change to the newest version (and to try some SMAA) and I'm getting a lower performance, even with SMAA turned off. For instance: The bridge to New Londo now drops my framerate to 15 fps, something that didn't happen before.

I'm obviously using the same resolution settings (2560x1600 rendering and 1080 DOF Override). Everything else is turned off (I use Gamesave Manager for backups and I didn't see any difference by turning on MSAA, other than shittier performance).

Any idea what could be doing that?

Probably a stupid question, but did you remove d3d9.dll when you changed versions?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Probably a stupid question, but did you remove d3d9.dll when you changed versions?

Yes, it's probably the 2x forced AA that turned off itself on Catalyst - that fixed my slowdown issues back then.

I'll try later monitoring the videocard and using MSAA in it's place (something better than setting 2, because that was producing MORE slowdown).

Gvaz

Banned
Also Durante, can you remap the button to something else? I use f5 with fraps to take screenshots, I'd like to be able to put it to like, the insert key or something funky.

Top Bottom