• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Mupod

Well, here's hoping the cheats don't work online but this does. Don't see any reason why it wouldn't, of course.

jett

D-Member
That's good work Durante, although in your picture it looks like it's still upscaling from a lower resolution, weirdly enough.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That's good work Durante, although in your picture it looks like it's still upscaling from a lower resolution, weirdly enough.

THe lower resolution assets may have something to do with that. Makes the game sharper but all the assets seem to be made for console native res -_-

Durante

I think this might actually be true.

It looks like it's rendering at the resolution I selected, then downscaling to *1280*x720 (basically SSAA), then upscaling that again. Which is of course still much better than rendering at 1024x720, but not good enough. However I should be able to fix that. But probably not in the first version.

This renderer is pretty ... imaginative.

jett

D-Member
edit: Durante haha that's pretty crazy.

THe lower resolution assets may have something to do with that. Makes the game sharper but all the assets seem to be made for console native res -_-

Nah there are some blurred jaggies and edges, tell-tale signs of upscaling.

It looks like it's rendering at the resolution I selected, then downscaling to 1280x720 (basically SSAA), then upscaling that again. Which is of course still much better than rendering at 1024x720, but not good enough. However I should be able to fix that. But probably not in the first version.

Yeah, thats what I thought it looked like. You should see harder lines at native res.

Durante

That also means that in the unmodded case, it scales from 1024x720 to 1280x720 and then to the display res. Pretty wild.

Varna

It looks like it's rendering at the resolution I selected, then downscaling to *1280*x720 (basically SSAA), then upscaling that again. Which is of course still much better than rendering at 1024x720, but not good enough. However I should be able to fix that. But probably not in the first version.

You could still get great results by selecting a resolution much higher then your monitors native resolution couldn't you?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

lol, jesus christ From.

yea, i think we'll need to wait for high rez textures from the mod community to fix that.

can anyone verify what kind of files the textures are? like .dds? Or can you even access them?

I made a lot of HD texture mods for Skyrim, I could probably re-tex Dark Souls too in a couple of days. at least the important things like walls, ground, etc

Durante

You could still get great results by selecting a resolution much higher then your monitors native resolution couldn't you?
In the current state that will allow you to get great SSAA and slightly better horizontal detail, but still not more detail than 1280x720.

As I said, that's not good enough.

Teknoman

Could take the optimistic route, and say that this will show the message that people want Souls games on PC, yet also with what is normally expected out of a console to PC port/PC game in general.

Oh shit. Nice, it sounds like you figured out the cause of the blur. Awesome. Can't wait until your able to smooth out that hurdle.

jett

D-Member
That also means that in the unmodded case, it scales from 1024x720 to 1280x720 and then to the display res. Pretty wild.

It makes sense, that's what the console versions do undoubtedly, scale the framebuffer up to 720p.

I mean, it does not fucking make sense for a PC game, but you can see where it comes from. :p

drizzle

Axel Hertz
It makes sense, that's what the console versions do undoubtedly, scale the framebuffer up to 720p.

I mean, it does not fucking make sense for a PC game, but you can see where it comes from. :p

They didn't even bother to change the first scaling to whatever resolution you chose on the configuration, they just double scale it. This is shameful.

I wonder if just changing all 3 resolutions (native, first scaling, second scaling) to the same resolution would mean that the game wouldn't be scaled ever (thus, no image quality reduction) or it'll just pass a nearest neighbor up sample filter to each frame and smear shit all over the image anyway.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Just give me half an hour to see if I can't fix the double scale.

As someone who has a small inkling of what you're doing, please go ahead and take your time.

Thanks for all the work, btw. This is way beyond 23 minutes of work, even if that makes for a great meme.

Edit: In the meantime, I can finally start downloading the game from Steam. Dammit Gabe, 300k/sec is not fast enough!

Edit #2: Never mind, hit 2.1 MB/s sustained. Soon...

Top Bottom