• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls - New Trailer - 2011 Worldwide [Update 2: Video Interview In OP]

Canova

Banned
duckroll said:
How exactly do you expect to actually "fight" a dragon if they retain the realism in Demon's Souls? I can't really think of a way to design a fight with a dragon which does not involve using ranged weapons. I really liked how realistic the dragons were in the game because they behaved exactly like you would expect a dragon to: it has no reason to land on some safe area, allowing itself to be vulnerable to close range attacks, and it basically flies around and protects its territory with flaming breath, etc.

I can imagine an interesting fight with a dragon after its wings are cut off or severely damaged, but that would also involve the sort of gimmick that the Dragon God had.

I had this thought about fighting the blue and red dragon in Demon's Souls
- What if they could make it similar to one of Monster Hunters battles.
- Huge open field setting so the camera is not a problem
- Since dragon is hard to kill, you're only chance is that if you come with 1 or 2 blues. You could still fight him one on one, but that would be too difficult
- Make it an optional boss fight

Canova

Banned
duckroll said:
The artwork depicts the "White Dragon". It's not shown in any of the screens, and it's probably a major boss.

From Soft seems to love dragons, we got multiple of them each game, which is awesome

Any other description from the artworks, monsters or places names?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
canova said:
I had this thought about fighting the blue and red dragon in Demon's Souls
- What if they could make it similar to one of Monster Hunters battles.
- Huge open field setting so the camera is not a problem
- Since dragon is hard to kill, you're only chance is that if you come with 1 or 2 blues. You could still fight him one on one, but that would be too difficult
- Make it an optional boss fight
No, no, no, no. The beauty of the game was that it could be as single player or mutiplayer as you wanted. If you were diligent and careful, there was nothing you couldn't beat alone. I don't want a boss that you'd have to rely on other people to beat. It's not a MMO.

Danielsan

WanderingWind said:
No, no, no, no. The beauty of the game was that it could be as single player or mutiplayer as you wanted. If you were diligent and careful, there was nothing you couldn't beat alone. I don't want a boss that you'd have to rely on other people to beat. It's not a MMO.
Exactly. As soon as they start pushing missions as "co-op only" I'm out. I played the entirety of Demon's Souls whilst only partnering up 2 or three times.

duckroll

canova said:
From Soft seems to love dragons, we got multiple of them each game, which is awesome

Any other description from the artworks, monsters or places names?

Yeah. But I'm lazy to paste each image to name it. Also, all translations and spellings are my own and could differ significantly from whatever turns out to be the official translations.

The huge spiral city is Anole Rondo. The white ruins with a bridge leading to it is the Snow Ruins. The gravestone is the Tomb of the Sacred Blade. The monster with eggs on it is just listed as the Egg Carrier, and the undead knight is.... an Undead Knight. Lol. There are two other locations mentioned by people who actually have the issue of Famitsu, but I don't know which art pieces the names refer to and I don't want to guess: there's the Temple of the Undead, and the Demon's Altar.

As far as the storyline goes, I have a feeling that the game is going to be about an eternal eclipse of some sort. Not only is there an eclipse in the Dark Souls logo itself, but both the English and Japanese story taglines seem to indicate as such.

"In time, fire will fade... and only Dark will remain." In the Japanese preview, the storyline talks about how "But soon the fire will fade away, and only darkness will remain. Even now, the fire is fading, it no longer reaches the world of man, and the long night continues. Within each person, the mark of a dark curse is beginning to appear..."

It definitely sounds like the "fire" they speak of is the sun, and that something is going to block the light of the sun from the world, plunging it into darkness and giving rise to a dark curse across the land ala Demon's Souls. To add to that theory is the design of one of the NPC knights shown in the screenshots. He has the mark of the sun as his crest. Defintely an ongoing theme in the game imo.

Canova

Banned
duckroll said:
Yeah. But I'm lazy to paste each image to name it. Also, all translations and spellings are my own and could differ significantly from whatever turns out to be the official translations.

The huge spiral city is Anole Rondo. The white ruins with a bridge leading to it is the Snow Ruins. The gravestone is the Tomb of the Sacred Blade. The monster with eggs on it is just listed as the Egg Carrier, and the undead knight is.... an Undead Knight. Lol. There are two other locations mentioned by people who actually have the issue of Famitsu, but I don't know which art pieces the names refer to and I don't want to guess: there's the Temple of the Undead, and the Demon's Altar.

As far as the storyline goes, I have a feeling that the game is going to be about an eternal eclipse of some sort. Not only is there an eclipse in the Dark Souls logo itself, but both the English and Japanese story taglines seem to indicate as such.

"In time, fire will fade... and only Dark will remain." In the Japanese preview, the storyline talks about how "But soon the fire will fade away, and only darkness will remain. Even now, the fire is fading, it no longer reaches the world of man, and the long night continues. Within each person, the mark of a dark curse is beginning to appear..."

It definitely sounds like the "fire" they speak of is the sun, and that something is going to block the light of the sun from the world, plunging it into darkness and giving rise to a dark curse across the land ala Demon's Souls. To add to that theory is the design of one of the NPC knights shown in the screenshots. He has the mark of the sun as his crest. Defintely an ongoing theme in the game imo.

thanks duckroll. awesome names.

Nice to hear some background story, some kinda mythos to the game. If this game did well in sales number, I can see this as active franchise, where they make it a regular title

Canova

Banned
WanderingWind said:

I did say, the dragons as optional battle fight and you should still be able to take on the dragon one on one, though it would be difficult as hell

Danielsan said:
Exactly. As soon as they start pushing missions as "co-op only" I'm out. I played the entirety of Demon's Souls whilst only partnering up 2 or three times.

no, co-op would still be optional.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
canova said:
I did say, the dragons as optional battle fight and you should still be able to take on the dragon one on one, though it would be difficult as hell
Optional is still a co-op mission, which to me, ruins a huge part of the game. The sense of satisfaction from completing the game was enormous because of the individual challenges. My opinion, of course.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I'm glad the co-op is fixed to be more team-friendly. One of my favorite things to do in Demon's Souls was enter games as a blue phantom, help with bosses and protect against invaders. I don't know why but I liked the idea of playing as a character who was fodder, existing only to protect one other player.

Zzoram

IPoopStandingUp said:
I'm glad the co-op is fixed to be more team-friendly. One of my favorite things to do in Demon's Souls was enter games as a blue phantom, help with bosses and protect against invaders. I don't know why but I liked the idea of playing as a character who was fodder, existing only to protect one other player.

I actually prefer that. I don't want Dark Souls to get too co-op oriented since Demon's Souls was fun, scary, and challenging as a single player experience. Having 2 blues with you turned it into a different game, you'd stop being afraid and the game was far less difficult if blues with 3 people to rotate aggro.

Raide

Zzoram said:
I actually prefer that. I don't want Dark Souls to get too co-op oriented since Demon's Souls was fun, scary, and challenging as a single player experience. Having 2 blues with you turned it into a different game, you'd stop being afraid and the game was far less difficult if blues with 3 people to rotate aggro.

I would love to have Dark Souls with 4 players. Make it even harder and make sure there are plenty of group skills and abilities. Hopefully they do the old Blue system and also the regular co-op modes. More options is cool!

Haeleos

youtubedarksoulsannounydyf.gif

GIVE SPARKLY, ME!

Zzoram

Raide said:
I would love to have Dark Souls with 4 players. Make it even harder and make sure there are plenty of group skills and abilities. Hopefully they do the old Blue system and also the regular co-op modes. More options is cool!

The problem with Demon's Souls is that the enemies didn't scale with co-op players, and the fear was definitely lost once you weren't alone.

In Dark Souls I hope they increase the number of enemies when you summon co-op players, since it's numbers that matters most with AI abuse. When it's 1 boss vs 3 players, you're basically invincible since weak players can just withdraw to heal while the others attract aggro. Giving the boss more HP wouldn't solve this problem.

Co-op in Demon's Souls was basically easy mode. I'd like Dark Souls to make easy mode less easy.

Vitten

Day... fucking... one.

Only thing I'm a bit scared about is that open world/sandbox games are very prone to all sorts of glitches or even more cheesy strats than the original. Hope this won't be a Fallout 3-like clusterfuck. I have faith in From though.

darksouls_1st_final_esgc0r.gif

Lol , looks like Sparkly wants payback for the endless Talismans of God I fed that thing.

Raide

Zzoram said:
The problem with Demon's Souls is that the enemies didn't scale with co-op players, and the fear was definitely lost once you weren't alone.

In Dark Souls I hope they increase the number of enemies when you summon co-op players, since it's numbers that matters most with AI abuse. When it's 1 boss vs 3 players, you're basically invincible since weak players can just withdraw to heal while the others attract aggro. Giving the boss more HP wouldn't solve this problem.

Co-op in Demon's Souls was basically easy mode. I'd like Dark Souls to make easy mode less easy.

I am sure From could sort bosses to be group encounters. Yeah, just more HP won't just sort it out but I am sure they could make bosses more interesting when in groups. Like mini WoW. :D

Co-op is interesting, depending how you do it. I still think 4 people in the world of Dark Souls still could be pretty scary. Knowing you're a super bad-ass makes it relaxing to play but knowing monsters could easily murder you, even in a group. (Think Left 4 Dead where you have to stick together to survive) Splitting up players to trigger switches and solving puzzles could also heighten the fear.

Gorgon

duckroll said:

Simple but great premise. Loving it.

Also, it seems there is a curse (bolded part) upon people due to the eclipse. Notice how the first off-screen trailer showed that one of the campfire heroes had his face somewhat ghoulish. I bet the idea is that people in the world are becoming physically corrupted by whatever Dark Power is at work. Maybe there even are some mechanics for body changes in the game, as time progresses.

Zzoram

Raide said:
I am sure From could sort bosses to be group encounters. Yeah, just more HP won't just sort it out but I am sure they could make bosses more interesting when in groups. Like mini WoW. :D

Co-op is interesting, depending how you do it. I still think 4 people in the world of Dark Souls still could be pretty scary. Knowing you're a super bad-ass makes it relaxing to play but knowing monsters could easily murder you, even in a group. (Think Left 4 Dead where you have to stick together to survive) Splitting up players to trigger switches and solving puzzles could also heighten the fear.

No, splitting up players to hit triggers requires co-op, and this game must definitely not require co-op to progress. That's because when the online community dies, or even during a slow time of day, it'll be impossible to beat part of the game.

Raide

Zzoram said:
No, splitting up players to hit triggers requires co-op, and this game must definitely not require co-op to progress. That's because when the online community dies, it'll be impossible to beat part of the game.

They would have to do it like PSO. You can still progress while on your own but they could scale stuff to more players. Mainly to encourage players working together.

It seems Demon's Souls is still popular, hopefully Dark Souls will get bigger due to 360 and PS3. I so want the online side to be busy for ages!

Gorgon

I think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. Blue phamtoms were there as a kind of version of a "easy mode" to help players. It was never intended as a traditional balanced co-op. If it was balanced than it would be kind of pointless as a help system to the summoner. As it is, it served its purpose in Demon's Souls. The idea was to make it easy to the player needing help, not to make it a balanced co-op mode in which difficulty scales with the number of phantoms. Very different things.

Ofcourse, we don't really know what they're planning for Dark Souls.

see5harp

Haunted said:
For the people saying "I'd rather have this be Demon's Souls 2 than this", are you all talking about the (imo negligible, but whatever) additional awareness that would bring for the sales?

Because I cannot figure out the value of this being Demon's Souls 2 instead of Dark Souls from a consumer perspective. I struggle to think of any copyrighted elements I just cannot live without and which will make Dark Souls a worse game than Demon's Souls 2 would be.

Setting and atmosphere? Still medieval Dark Fantasy, doesn't matter whether From calls it Boletaria or whateverthefuckhappytown. Boletaria had no coherent sense of place, due to the wildly different and separated environments, so From can easily replicate (and better) it. You can already see all the familiar environments in the trailer, swamps, castles, ruins, dungeons, bridges... most of these could be assets taken straight from the first game and you lot wouldn't even notice.

What else is intrinsically tied to the IP...
Characters? I struggle to think of any noteworthy ones in Demon's Souls. That kid monk no one told me where to find? The generic grumpy/introvert blacksmiths? The girl with the Slavic accent? That guy I had to save like five fucking times? It's like complaining about the main guy from GTA III not making a return. None of these are important and easily replaceable with the exact same similar better characters.

You can already see in the trailer that there are extreme similarities between the two games, both in (art) design and atmosphere. I do not see what the Demon's Souls IP would bring to the end consumer that Dark Souls can't.

Agree on all points except most of the characters in GTA III were more memorable than Monk Child on the 4th floor.

I'm very excited to hear this is more open worldly. My dream would be like symphony of the night + demons souls. Hopefully we can go through that entire castle and stuff, would be so amazing. Also hoping for real co-op so I can invite friends and play through the whole game instead of playing with random people when i needed to.

Raide

JonnyKtyler said:
I'm very excited to hear this is more open worldly. My dream would be like symphony of the night + demons souls. Hopefully we can go through that entire castle and stuff, would be so amazing. Also hoping for real co-op so I can invite friends and play through the whole game instead of playing with random people when i needed to.

Hopefully they have a Diablo 2 style co-op where you start New Game + and its started fresh each time.

Zeliard

duckroll said:
How exactly do you expect to actually "fight" a dragon if they retain the realism in Demon's Souls? I can't really think of a way to design a fight with a dragon which does not involve using ranged weapons. I really liked how realistic the dragons were in the game because they behaved exactly like you would expect a dragon to: it has no reason to land on some safe area, allowing itself to be vulnerable to close range attacks, and it basically flies around and protects its territory with flaming breath, etc.

I can imagine an interesting fight with a dragon after its wings are cut off or severely damaged, but that would also involve the sort of gimmick that the Dragon God had.

I agree with this. It would look ridiculous and it would also be absurd from a mechanical standpoint if you were able to melee-fuck a dragon to death in a battle of attrition. You're able to melee other much larger enemies in the game, but they generally have far worse mobility than you do (i.e. the Tower Knight). You have no mobility advantage over a dragon that can fly around and has a long-range attack.

Canova

Banned
Zeliard said:
I agree with this. It would look ridiculous and it would also be absurd from a mechanical standpoint if you were able to melee-fuck a dragon to death in a battle of attrition. You're able to melee other much larger enemies in the game, but they generally have far worse mobility than you do (i.e. the Tower Knight). You have no mobility advantage over a dragon that can fly around and has a long-range attack.

typical dragon killing method mate.

- First we arrow it while dodging its fireballs. easy
- We keep arrowing till it hits the ground.
- Then we hack its wings off, so it can't fly away. this one should be pretty easy too
- Next we cut off its tails off
- Then we beat its legs to a pulp, so it can't run around the field
- Last, when it can't move around anymore, we just walk slowly its head, pose for a picture, then chop its head off

easy. I've done this so many times. trust me :p

I really would like to think that the half chick we see in the trailer is some kind of a maiden-in-black-turned-evil cameo and that her signature killer move is accompanied by her yelling "SO THE WORLD MIGHT BE MENDED"

I would love that :D

Clott

What is there to say? It looks incredibly, and scratch the comments of people saying that the pictures made the game like it had a brighter tone, From what we see the game is as dark as ever.

Zeliard

Clott said:
What is there to say? It looks incredibly, and scratch the comments of people saying that the pictures made the game like it had a brighter tone, From what we see the game is as dark as ever.

They've noticeably increased the color palette and the game is even better-looking as a result, while still retaining that ominous atmosphere. Best of both worlds.

Foffy

Banned
Vitten said:
Day... fucking... one.

Only thing I'm a bit scared about is that open world/sandbox games are very prone to all sorts of glitches or even more cheesy strats than the original. Hope this won't be a Fallout 3-like clusterfuck. I have faith in From though.

From has proven with the King's Field games that they can create a fully connected world with no hiccups. If anything, the world for the game should be compared to a Metroid game than Fallout in terms of structure.

Zeliard said:
They've noticeably increased the color palette and the game is even better-looking as a result, while still retaining that ominous atmosphere. Best of both worlds.
The color palette does hurt the atmosphere imo. It reminds me too much of the oversaturated colorbook Bioshock was. Oh well, I can always tune down the colors on my TV to preserve that subtile Ico and Sotc look.

Zeliard

M°°nblade said:
The color palette does hurt the atmosphere imo. It reminds me too much of the oversaturated colorbook Bioshock was. Oh well, I can always tune down the colors on my TV to preserve that subtile Ico and Sotc look.

As far as I can tell from the vid, the same mood is still there. What the color lets it do is be much more visually striking, but they're not heavily primary, bright colors, so I don't think they turn the game into some sunshine rainbow or anything. :p They just make it nicer to look at, and possibly even more evocative.

Besides, the harsh atmosphere only came partly from the way the game looked. A large part was due to the way it played.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
this game is 2 rad 4 me. Its coming out this year in all territories? I guess that makes sense seeing as how the Asian version was fully English. SOUL GET!

Zeliard said:
As far as I can tell from the vid, the same mood is still there. What the color lets it do is be much more visually striking, but they're not heavily primary, bright colors, so I don't think they turn the game into some sunshine rainbow or anything. :p They just make it nicer to look at, and possibly even more evocative.

Besides, the harsh atmosphere only came partly from the way the game looked. A large part was due to the way it played.
Well, looking from the screens there definitely will be a sharper contrast between the visuals and the actual gameplay but the colors feel too bright and unnatural for me.

First gen HD games had this brown sepia filter. Nowadays, bluepurple seems to be the new brown. Enslaved and mass effect 2 had this as well.

Zzoram said:

I'll be honest, I think they made Demon's Souls that hard because they were trying to force people to work together. I think the difficulty when you have 3 people is what they wanted most people to experience. It wasn't easy even then; the area are can be very confined and the bosses still deadly for a group.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Sadaiyappan said:
I'm being totally honest here, the Demon's Souls trailer looked better than this one. But that dragon monster is bad ass.

To be honest, a few elements of Demon's Souls actually looks better than Dark Souls. Though it's hard to notice it since everyone's so excited, the art is still fricking amazing, and it looks so similar. It's probably a byproduct of having to rebuild a lot of the code in a shorter period of time. I'm not worried though.

Top Bottom