• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls - New Trailer - 2011 Worldwide [Update 2: Video Interview In OP]

Zeal

Banned
with Namco Bandai publishing here, i expect the limited edition to come in at about $4999.99.

this of course includes a full suit of armor, sword, shield and Dark Souls tabard.

preordered.

ZeroRay

I'm so excited about the exploration aspects of the game.

I'm thinking about wandering into areas I'm not supposed to at my level, getting lost and trying to escape, or to plan out ways to get some high level loot while avoiding death.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
If all the things they could have added to the Demon's Souls formula, the one thing they seemed to be putting the most effort into... is adding to the difficulty. Gee. Thanks guys.

Canova

Banned
John Harker said:
If all the things they could have added to the Demon's Souls formula, the one thing they seemed to be putting the most effort into... is adding to the difficulty. Gee. Thanks guys.

amGrz.gif

Zzoram

I wonder how the PS3 vs 360 performance will compare. I guess I kinda hope it's equal or better for PS3 since I'm so used to playing Demon's Souls on the DS3 now but if the 360 version is better I'm not against buying that.

Too bad they haven't considered a PC release. Once they have a 360 version, a PC port shouldn't be too hard, and considering how unique the Souls games are, there would probably be a decent market for it on PC. It would be nice to have a 60fps locked full graphics experience.

Of all the things you could have added to the discussion, the one thing you put effort into... is a redundant complaint about the difficulty. Gee. Thanks John Harker.

Canova

Banned
Zzoram said:
I wonder how the PS3 vs 360 performance will compare. I guess I kinda hope it's equal or better for PS3 since I'm so used to playing Demon's Souls on the DS3 now but if the 360 version is better I'm not against buying that.

Too bad they haven't considered a PC release. Once they have a 360 version, a PC port shouldn't be too hard, and considering how unique the Souls games are, there would probably be a decent market for it on PC. It would be nice to have a 60fps locked full graphics experience.

1. Most likely PS3 is better since it's the lead platform, it's the same engine used in Demon's Souls
2. Since the majority of the fanbase is in PS3, online is prolly more active in PSN.

Zzoram said:

Definitely going to be an interesting comparison and is almost certainly going to bring the hardcore console warriors out of the shadows when the results come in.

As I said earlier, I'm waiting on my copy of DS to arrive and can't wait to get boned by the challenge - I know will it be great. But if history I'd any indicator I'll be getting dark souls on 360 due to controller + multiplatform superiority. Of course, if there is some special edition or console exclusive content I'll be jumping at that shit.

soldat7

canova said:
1. Most likely PS3 is better since it's the lead platform, it's the same engine used in Demon's Souls
2. Since the majority of the fanbase is in PS3, online is prolly more active in PSN.

Did they say same engine and lead platform == PS3?

Stripper13 said:
Definitely going to be an interesting comparison and is almost certainly going to bring the hardcore console warriors out of the shadows when the results come in.

As I said earlier, I'm waiting on my copy of DS to arrive and can't wait to get boned by the challenge - I know will it be great. But if history I'd any indicator I'll be getting dark souls on 360 due to controller + multiplatform superiority. Of course, if there is some special edition or console exclusive content I'll be jumping at that shit.

Wasn't Castlevania better on the PS3?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Not A Fur said:
Of all the things you could have added to the discussion, the one thing you put effort into... is a redundant complaint about the difficulty. Gee. Thanks John Harker.

You clearly haven't followed John Harker's opinion of these games /lol face

Fix your smirk detector!

soldat7

canova said:
It is Demon's Souls engine.

Sure it looks similar, but that doesn't really mean much. And why would that automatically give the PS3 version the edge, if true? It's all just speculation at this point. I'm buying both versions :)

soldat7 said:
Did they say same engine and lead platform == PS3?

Wasn't Castlevania better on the PS3?
I believe so, but still - history indicates the 360's strengths will lend to a better port albeit marginal. Also, I'd be confident in parity or even PS3 superiority if the original game had amazing graphics. It obviously looks great and has a great art/design style - but nothing indicates we are seeing Sony First Party levels of effort here. Castlevania as far as I recall simply had more frequent framerate drops on the 360? Not sure.

Ifrit

I don't know about the open world thing, I actually liked the filler-free level structure from Demon's Souls.

It is still a sequel to one of my favorite games this gen. This game is so bought

Canova

Banned
duckroll said:
Based on... what?

Based on assumption that From Soft might have started on working some stuff before the deal with NB was finalized.

The director also talked that they did cut some materials from Demon's Souls, and my assumption is that part is included in Dark Souls

Haunted

canova said:
It is Demon's Souls engine.
Demon's Souls used Sony's PhyreEngine, which isn't optimised for 360 development, but can be made compatible.

They could or could not be using it, I don't know. Trailer certainly makes them look similar.

duckroll

canova said:
Based on assumption that From Soft might have started on working some stuff before the deal with NB was finalized.

The director also talked that they did cut some materials from Demon's Souls, and my assumption is that part is included in Dark Souls

You just keep listing more and more assumptions, none of which seem to be based on any sort of factual reality or actual source. So you're basically saying "I kinda feel this is possible" and trying to pass that off as fact with no research or investigation. This is no different from people assuming that Obama is not an American, and trying to convince other people it must be true because they feel that way.

_Xenon_

Banned
Personally I believe if an Engine is created / optimized on PS3 it will just be fine on 360. With full disc installation on 360 it probably will turn out to be even better at loading & streaming. The only thing that should be worried about is online experience.

Canova

Banned
duckroll said:
You just keep listing more and more assumptions, none of which seem to be based on any sort of factual reality or actual source. So you're basically saying "I kinda feel this is possible" and trying to pass that off as fact with no research or investigation. This is no different from people assuming that Obama is not an American, and trying to convince other people it must be true because they feel that way.

The director did cut some stuff out from Demon's Souls. The broken archstone or the 6th archstone, The Land of the Giants. Now I assume that they would re-use that material in Dark Souls, that only makes sense

So I believe it's pretty safe assumption. Definitely better than assuming the engine is built from the ground-up (in such period of time) or 360 is the lead platform (when deal with Namco came in late in the game)

If I were taking any bet, yeah I say it is Demon's Souls engine

Haunted

_Xenon_ said:
Personally I believe if an Engine is created / optimized on PS3 it will just be fine on 360. With full disc installation on 360 it probably will turn out to be even better at loading & streaming. The only thing that should be worried about is online experience.
And I believe you have no idea what you're talking about. It all depends on how much talent, time and effort they set aside to work on it. The latest example everyone should know about is the 360 version of FFXIII.

Snaku

Banned
_Xenon_ said:

Based on... what?

Zoe

canova said:
The director did cut some stuff out from Demon's Souls. The broken archstone or the 6th archstone, The Land of the Giants.

Did he actually state that? I thought it was a nice touch that it was inaccessible.

YoungHav

Banned
Zzoram said:
Defeatist American culture ingrained during school and by parents that think their children are perfect. It's never the person's fault for not getting better, it's the systems fault for being too tough.
LOL. Deep mayne, agree.

Zeliard said:
You can if you try to play the game like it's a typical third-person hack-and-slash, i.e. God of War. I imagine a lot of new players try to bully the lower-tier enemies on 1-1, thinking they're your typical early mob trash, and are startled when they get mauled by them.
LOL, this would be funny to see. I like that Demon's Souls rage video that famitsu put out. Would be fun seeing footage of bratty twitch shooter kids rage-quitting to this game.

duckroll

canova said:
The director did cut some stuff out from Demon's Souls. The broken archstone or the 6th archstone, The Land of the Giants. Now I assume that they would re-use that material in Dark Souls, that only makes sense

There were things which might have been planned for Demon's Souls but not finished. You're making an assumption that such work would then be finished up and used in a new game with a brand new world and story, with no connections in terms of lore with Demon's Souls. That's kind of a stretch. I'm not sure why this would "only make sense" when they already expressed that they're building a brand new world from ground up here.

The director has never mentioned using ideas or content which didn't make it into Demon's Souls, even though he has talked extensively about many other things the game does indeed take from Demon's Souls. So this assumption is not based on any sort of evidence at all. Do you even know if the ideas for those archstones ever made it beyond concepts? Did they even create any assets or designs whatsoever for those areas? If not why would they revisit the ideas when they're brainstorming for a brand new world? Lots of content and ideas get cut from games which don't ever get revisited or used again, even in direct sequels.

So I believe it's pretty safe assumption. Definitely better than assuming the engine is built from the ground-up (in such period of time) or 360 is the lead platform (when deal with Namco came in late in the game)

The engine doesn't have to be built from ground up. From Software has been working extensively on both PS3 and 360 titles internally for the entire generation now. Demon's Souls was not even developed with a brand new engine from ground up. From has their internal tool sets and development environment for both platforms, and they used a licensed general engine from Sony to put the game together.

If they wanted to work on a solid multiplatform game, they can definitely rework their existing technology without having to use the Demon's Souls PhyrEngine at all. The lead programmer of Demon's Souls also worked on Armored Core 4 (which was also directed by Miyazaki), so it's not like the team has only been working on a single engine this whole generation. They had already shipped two multiplatform games before Demon's Souls was even released.

Canova

Banned
duckroll said:
There were things which might have been planned for Demon's Souls but not finished. You're making an assumption that such work would then be finished up and used in a new game with a brand new world and story, with no connections in terms of lore with Demon's Souls. That's kind of a stretch. I'm not sure why this would "only make sense" when they already expressed that they're building a brand new world from ground up here.

The director has never mentioned using ideas or content which didn't make it into Demon's Souls, even though he has talked extensively about many other things the game does indeed take from Demon's Souls. So this assumption is not based on any sort of evidence at all. Do you even know if the ideas for those archstones ever made it beyond concepts? Did they even create any assets or designs whatsoever for those areas? If not why would they revisit the ideas when they're brainstorming for a brand new world? Lots of content and ideas get cut from games which don't ever get revisited or used again, even in direct sequels.

The engine doesn't have to be built from ground up. From Software has been working extensively on both PS3 and 360 titles internally for the entire generation now. Demon's Souls was not even developed with a brand new engine from ground up. From has their internal tool sets and development environment for both platforms, and they used a licensed general engine from Sony to put the game together.

If they wanted to work on a solid multiplatform game, they can definitely rework their existing technology without having to use the Demon's Souls PhyrEngine at all. The lead programmer of Demon's Souls also worked on Armored Core 4 (which was also directed by Miyazaki), so it's not like the team has only been working on a single engine this whole generation. They had already shipped two multiplatform games before Demon's Souls was even released.

Fine, that's your point of views.

If I were to ask you to take an educated guess or even just a guess, what engine Dark Souls is using, would you say
A the engine built ground up on PS3
B the engine built ground up on 360
C Demon's Souls engine

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Canova, when you state something as fact but don't actually know one way or another or have any evidence supporting it (just vague inferences which don't actually make any sense), that's called lying. And trying to put the burden of proof on the person calling you out for making that fabricated assertion isn't doing you any favors, either.

Canova

Banned
EviLore said:
Canova, when you state something as fact but don't actually know one way or another or have any evidence supporting it (just vague inferences which don't actually make any sense), that's called lying. And trying to put the burden of proof on the person calling you out for making that fabricated assertion isn't doing you any favors, either.

well in one post I stated as if it was a fact, but then I did specify it's actually just a safe assumption

Haunted

For the people saying "I'd rather have this be Demon's Souls 2 than this", are you all talking about the (imo negligible, but whatever) additional awareness that would bring for the sales?

Because I cannot figure out the value of this being Demon's Souls 2 instead of Dark Souls from a consumer perspective. I struggle to think of any copyrighted elements I just cannot live without and which will make Dark Souls a worse game than Demon's Souls 2 would be.

Setting and atmosphere? Still medieval Dark Fantasy, doesn't matter whether From calls it Boletaria or whateverthefuckhappytown. Boletaria had no coherent sense of place, due to the wildly different and separated environments, so From can easily replicate (and better) it. You can already see all the familiar environments in the trailer, swamps, castles, ruins, dungeons, bridges... most of these could be assets taken straight from the first game and you lot wouldn't even notice.

What else is intrinsically tied to the IP...
Characters? I struggle to think of any noteworthy ones in Demon's Souls. That kid monk no one told me where to find? The generic grumpy/introvert blacksmiths? The girl with the Slavic accent? That guy I had to save like five fucking times? It's like complaining about the main guy from GTA III not making a return. None of these are important and easily replaceable with the exact same similar better characters.

You can already see in the trailer that there are extreme similarities between the two games, both in (art) design and atmosphere. I do not see what the Demon's Souls IP would bring to the end consumer that Dark Souls can't.

Zoe

canova said:
there were tons of discussion of it in Atlus forum or other Demon's Souls forums

I'm looking through the official forum and the wiki forum, and I see nothing but speculation.

Haunted said:
You can already see in the trailer that there are extreme similarities between the two games, both in design and atmosphere. I do not see what the Demon's Souls IP would bring to the end consumer that Dark Souls can't.

Most of all I'm wondering how it would work without the Nexus.

Haunted

canova said:
well in one post I stated as if it was a fact, but then I did specify it's actually just a safe assumption
Learned the lesson too late. Again.

Drop the "safe", admit you're just guessing/assuming based on conjecture (you believe to be fool-proof) and no one will complain about the wording.

Zoe said:
I'm looking through the official forum and the wiki forum, and I see nothing but speculation.

Most of all I'm wondering how it would work without the Nexus.
You mean the hub? Concepts of hubs aren't copyrighted, so not having something like it in Dark Souls would be a design decision first and foremost. They seem to be intent on bettering the structure of the game to something more open worldy, so that's already a plus.

Also don't forget that even making a Demon's Souls 2 doesn't mean that any structural elements of the first one have to return. Just think of Far Cry 2!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I rolled these chicken bones and they told me it's rendered with Demon's Souls engine. That or there is an engine of Demon's coming to rend my Soul. My voodoo is rusty.

Top Bottom