• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls - New Trailer - 2011 Worldwide [Update 2: Video Interview In OP]

Canova

Banned
DennisK4 said:
I posted some higher quality GIFs because this game deserves it.

I like how the character just strolling, minding his own business, then all of a sudden BAM! the rhino poked his asshole. bad rhino

Zeliard

Witchfinder General said:
Shit, maybe I better buy Demon's Souls.

But I'm such a pussy. The game's not that hard, surely?

There's a misconception that Demon's Souls has a lot of mechanical difficulty, but that's overblown. It doesn't approach, say, Ninja Gaiden Black or DMC3 in that regard - the game mostly demands patience and some tactical sense and awareness out of the player.

The difficulty mainly comes in that the game doesn't at any point ever hold your hand, which comes as jarring to many modern gamers weaned on games that do. It also contains a potentially punishing death system, but they also give you a way to salvage it completely - when you die you lose the souls you've accumulated, the enemies respawn, and you have to restart the level, but you're able to go back to the location you died and retrieve all of those souls back. However if you die on that attempt, they're gone forever. Generally in your first playthrough, you're expected to spend the majority of time in soul form (as opposed to body form) due both to dying often, and it being convenient in various ways (i.e. you can't be invaded by a Black Phantom enemy player in soul form).

Makes for some amazingly tense risk:reward. Very few games - almost none really - quite match the sheer tension of attempting to win your souls back in Demon's Souls, especially if it's a lot of them.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Dull and boring? Why even bother posting in here?

Err, what? So I can’t criticize something even though I'm still interested in the game?

Please. This is not just a huge circle-jerk, not everyone rates Demon’s Souls highly...

I know I'm way late...

but the trailer was GLORIOUS !!!

I haven't turned on my PS3 for 2 months now but seeing this amazing trailer makes me want to pop DS back again.

Now if you excuse me

s10e12_480.jpg

teiresias

YoungHav said:
LOL @ people that avoid greatness because they heard about Demon's Souls difficulty. If you have ever tried to beat a Nintendo 8-bit game, you can play Demon's Souls with no problem.

I was also eight or nine years old when I was playing 8-bit Nintendo games, and so I could devote the time to it. Fast forward to now, career, relationship, other obligations, and I just couldn't put in the time DS obviously wanted me to do so. I can work in time sinks into my gaming to some degree, but I draw the line at time sinks based solely on difficulty that cause me to play the same levels over and over again.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kajiba said:
Wait, I'm hearing that this is coming out for the 360 too. Is that true or wrong?
It's true. Sony flubbed another thing up.

soldat7

Tricky I Shadow said:
Please. This is not just a huge circle-jerk, not everyone rates Demon’s Souls highly...

Over 600 positive posts and then your post. What else would you call this? lol

Tricky I Shadow said:
That was a sweet trailer! I’d be so much more excited if I didn’t think Demon’s Souls was so boring and dull.

The textures look like ass in the screenshots. Hopefully it’s just the screenshots. Still somewhat interested....

iow, i find myself weirdly drawn to this crap, & i don't know why?...

canova said:
I like how the character just strolling, minding his own business, then all of a sudden BAM! the rhino poked his asshole. bad rhino
Somehow I wish it was a rhino. But rhino doesnt fit in this game. It is actually a boar.
Notice the tusk on the other side.

Corto

Great trailer. Stunning art direction and it certainly feels like th Demon's Souls sequel we all wanted. Xbox only people will be in for a treat.

YoungHav

Banned
teiresias said:
I was also eight or nine years old when I was playing 8-bit Nintendo games, and so I could devote the time to it. Fast forward to now, career, relationship, other obligations, and I just couldn't put in the time DS obviously wanted me to do so. I can work in time sinks into my gaming to some degree, but I draw the line at time sinks based solely on difficulty that cause me to play the same levels over and over again.
It's not bad, around 40hrs. Timesink if you're trying to get the platinum.

Canova

Banned
Cloudius12 said:
Somehow I wish it was a rhino. But rhino doesnt fit in this game. It is actually a boar.
Notice the tusk on the other side.

yeah you're right it looks more like a boar. armored boar

I loved Demon's Souls. One of the only games I have put of with the Sony controller for. I am very excited to be able to play a similar game with a 360 controller.

However...as a lowly silver, if the passive MP like messages, ghost deaths etc are not supported, I will be going PS3 again. That stuff was so helpful.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Wow, the game is middle of the pack when it comes to the technical aspects of the visuals, but the design, art and atmosphere is simply astounding.

I beat DS a while back, and while I did not think the game was what GAF hyped it up to be, it was still pretty good, and I'm excited to see more of this game when it is released.

BLagiver

Banned
Im glad I got platinum in demon souls first because playing this game will go a little more smoother and be even more fun. I really have to pop in demon souls again just to get ready for this epic game. I hope they make a CE or something because it will look nice next to my demon souls CE and eventual Last Guardian one.

Canova

Banned
fastford58 said:
I loved Demon's Souls. One of the only games I have put of with the Sony controller for. I am very excited to be able to play a similar game with a 360 controller.

However...as a lowly silver, if the passive MP like messages, ghost deaths etc are not supported, I will be going PS3 again. That stuff was so helpful.

I think they're still working/negotiating with MS on that one. Because I see PS3 and PSN logo, but I don't see any XBOX Live logo at the end

matmanx1

I really don't think 2011 could be any more stacked with great games at this point. Dark Souls is looking fantastic and I love the more "open world" approach they are going for this time around ala King's Field.

The original King's Field on the PS1 was a defining game for me in terms of atmosphere and dungeon crawling and Demon's Souls and now Dark Souls are carrying the torch onward. Thank you From!

Foffy

Banned
matmanx1 said:
I really don't think 2011 could be any more stacked with great games at this point. Dark Souls is looking fantastic and I love the more "open world" approach they are going for this time around ala King's Field.

The original King's Field on the PS1 was a defining game for me in terms of atmosphere and dungeon crawling and Demon's Souls and now Dark Souls are carrying the torch onward. Thank you From!

Are you talking the original original King's Field that was never localized? Or the one we did get, set on an island?

Canova

Banned
matmanx1 said:

I call them the 2DS, now if Atlus pay From Soft to make Devil's Souls, may be we can have 3DS

A slight confession: I haven't made it further than a couple of hours into Demon's Souls. To be specific, I've never ventured further than the boss of 1-1 (the giant slime covered in spears and shields). It's not because I hate the game or think it's unfairly hard, as most non-fans tend to say -- it's mostly because extrapolating the skill and time it took for me to get past the first area meant that I would basically have to dedicate my life to the game to finish it.

I fear that the same sentiment might preclude me from getting into Dark Souls, the "spiritual successor" (which must be a legal thing, because based on the look and gameplay mechanics, this is for all intents and purposes a straightforward follow-up) to Demon's Souls. If even director Hidetaka Miyazaki talks about how he plans to make Dark Souls "better and more difficult," and to have your experience filled with "tens of thousands, or millions, of deaths," then I already have an inclination that Dark Souls might be a bit too merciless for me.

Then Miyazaki actually plays through a live demo -- albeit with a high-level and decked-out knight while not connected online. If the difficulty disclaimer hadn't swayed me aside, I think that I'd try to get into the game by virtue of its presentation. What I saw of Demons Souls was mostly dark and decrepit environments -- broken down castles full of claustrophobic halls. So when I see a highly detailed knight making his way through a grand (but still decrepit) castle nestled within a lush valley, my interest gets piqued. Other people and places that Miyazaki shows off include an "onion knight" (which I would have nicknamed "the Steel Stay Puft Marshmallow Man") wandering through an area called "the dark forest," an exotic/Asian-inspired knight traipsing through a level referred to as "underground hell" (which is full of lava), and a traditional knight navigating his way through the "trap road." The detail in the characters, combined with the distinct looks of the environments, and the creatures within (such as a sleeping red dragon curled up on top of a precarious bridge), makes for a great looking medieval fantasy game.

Then Miyazaki starts talking about how the enemies are still lethal -- to the point that multiple types of foes attack simultaneously. I only had to deal with fools rushing at me for melee combat in my limited experience of the first game, but seeing a throng of undead melee guys running towards Miyazaki's knight while three of them are tossing medieval Molotov cocktails and four more are shooting arrows from the other side already induces stress and panic in me, and I'm just an observer. Later on, seeing the screen suddenly fill with sword-wielding bipedal snakemen also induces a mild videogame panic attack. And then Miyazaki encounters the miniboss.

It's not the intimidating "cross between a minotaur and a cave troll" visual design that creeps me out. It's the fact that this miniboss can follow you. One solace I had in the previous game was that creatures had MMO-like behavior -- that is, they had a maximum boundary to pursue you before they lost interest. I can outrun that freakin' red knight in world 1-1 for example. But here, it seems like creatures relentlessly pursue you. Miyazaki climbs up a guard tower in order to take out some archers that are happily firing from above -- only to find the Minotaur/Troll thing leaping up onto the top of the tower. No matter where Miyazaki went, the creature would be steps behind him -- it took perfect timing along with a new death-from-above type of leap to finally bring the beast down.

Other player aids for the more numerous, collaborative, and persistent foes are two new magic spells: one is a sort of "steelskin" while the other changes your shape. The latter seems to be more of a player-versus-player conceit, as Miyazaki uses the spell to transform into an innocuous clay pot that players (and possibly enemy A.I.) would simply overlook. The other spell turns you into a sort of Metal Man, where your armor becomes significantly thicker and your survivability increases at the cost of movement speed and the inability to evade/roll. That steelskin ends up adding some precious seconds to Miyazaki's life while he's fighting on a pair of snakemen -- but barely, for those of you concerned that such a spell would make things too easy.

Which, along with other new tweaks such as even-more-dangerous environments ("trap road" is as lethal as it sounds, while "the underground hell" is full of dangerous lava), helps maintain the cherished difficulty of the previous game -- which is a bit unusual nowadays. A lot of traditional hardcore gamers tend to decry the modern neutering of games -- the fact that games today are simply roller coasters designed to show content to a mainstream audience rather than reward skillful play or mastery. For them, Demon's Souls was a haven -- a badge of honor in learning its intricacies and mechanics under a harsh taskmaster. For those people with such a perspective, Dark Souls is the game that you should applaud and support.
http://www.1up.com/previews/dark-souls-harder-brutal-demon-souls

canova said:
I think they're still working/negotiating with MS on that one. Because I see PS3 and PSN logo, but I don't see any XBOX Live logo at the end
This is an interesting point. Would Microsoft let silver members play this game online?
No way do I see Microsoft giving away their service for free.

YoungHav said:
I don't get it, the guy plays games for a living. Demon's Souls should not be that difficult for him. It's hyperbole like that that has prevented some people from trying the game. The game is difficult but fair, Ninja Gaiden 1 on Nintendo is harder. You can always farm and level up lol.
Yeah, it's definitely a bit ridiculous. He even complains about 1-1... Did he choose a barbarian or something? I really don't see how a decent gamer could have much problems with 1-1.

Zeliard

AndyMoogle said:
Yeah, it's definitely a bit ridiculous. He even complains about 1-1... Did he choose a barbarian or something? I really don't see how a decent gamer could have much problems with 1-1.

You can if you try to play the game like it's a typical third-person hack-and-slash, i.e. God of War. I imagine a lot of new players try to bully the lower-tier enemies on 1-1, thinking they're your typical early mob trash, and are startled when they get mauled by them.

duckroll

Why does the article in the OP say Takeshi Kajii is the producer of the game? I find that hard to believe because he's a SCEJ producer. All the other articles seem to indicate the guy showing off the game was the game's director - Hidetaka Miyazaki. That's a pretty amateur mistake to make Gamespot...

Zzoram

YoungHav said:
I don't get it, the guy plays games for a living. Demon's Souls should not be that difficult for him. It's hyperbole like that that has prevented some people from trying the game. The game is difficult but fair, Ninja Gaiden 1 on Nintendo is harder. You can always farm and level up lol.

Defeatist American culture ingrained during school and by parents that think their children are perfect. It's never the person's fault for not getting better, it's the systems fault for being too tough.

Zzoram

sotodefonk said:
Fuck yeah, Monsters that can follow you everywhere sounds awesome and scary!! I just hope they dont take a lot to bring it here :(

This basically eliminates a ton of the Demon's Souls exploits where you draw a strong enemy then backstab them when they hit their aggro boundary and walk back to their spawn.

tafer

Well, my game of the generation gets a sequel, and the sequel gets a glorious and promising trailer.

It's a good generation my friends.

Top Bottom