• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls - New Trailer - 2011 Worldwide [Update 2: Video Interview In OP]

SpokkX

watched the trailer again and I can believe a "sequel" to Demons Souls is actually being made.

I absolutely loved the first game, one of my top 10 ever and easily the best game this generation.

Looks totally amazing. Also love the fact that it is a spritual sequel. That means that they will mix it up a bit because they are forced to.

V_Ben

Banned
jett said:
Sony missed the boat. Demon's Souls sold 4X in USA what it did in Japan. Dumbasses.

Here's how I think it went down...

- Demon's Souls is published in Japan. Doesn't get great scores, sells kinda badly. Sony doesn't fund a sequel
- Demon's Souls starts getting recognition... published by Atlus in USA. Sells well.
- Namco Bandai throws a bunch of money at From (realises the potential?), asks them to develop spiritual sequel.
- Publishes Demon's Souls in the EU, announces said spiritual sequel.
- Sony kicks themselves.

teiresias

If it has a wider variety of environments, and just a larger number of them I might bite. DS fell into the problem that Phantasy Star Online ultimately did, in that I got pretty bored playing the same things over and over again. The difficulty wasn't really the problem so much as the difficulty forcing the walkthrough of the same old places over and over again. I'm not sure how you solve that from a gameplay perspective though and keep the difficulty.

Eccocid

V_Ben said:

Demon's Souls is published in Japan. Doesn't get great scores, sells kinda badly. Sony doesn't fund a sequel
Demon's Souls starts getting recognition... published by Atlus in USA. Sells well.
Namco Bandai throws a bunch of money at From, asks them to develop spiritual sequel. Publishes game in the EU, announces said spiritual sequel.
Sony kicks themselves.

Cant sony give money to From and get a sequel? Demon's Souls 2?

Riddler

Looks amazing!

Finishing the first one had a great feeling of accomplishment & the replays just got better.

I'm glad to read they are keeping the same challenge and not giving into the mainstream of hand holding games of today.

falconzss

V_Ben said:

Demon's Souls is published in Japan. Doesn't get great scores, sells kinda badly. Sony doesn't fund a sequel
Demon's Souls starts getting recognition... published by Atlus in USA. Sells well.
Namco Bandai throws a bunch of money at From, asks them to develop spiritual sequel. Publishes game in the EU, announces said spiritual sequel.
Sony kicks themselves.

Could be pretty much accurate. Sony dropped the ball here, their loss.

Gorgon

Eccocid said:
IT can be seamless but it doesnt mean you can go for example to desert from every point.
Probably most of the locations would be connected by a path(not corridor) maybe more than one etc..
So there might be open places and more narrow areas with paths and forks on them with camping spots!
Oh i just wanna camp like in BoF games!

In that sense yes, I agree.

V_Ben

Banned
Eccocid said:
Cant sony give money to From and get a sequel? Demon's Souls 2?

Why throw money at them now for a sequel when we're getting a sequel in all but name? It would split the potential sales for this game, which is coming out on PS3 anyway.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Sony owns the IP and engine. They don't technically even need to get From to develop it.

But they should... I'm expecting DS2 to find its way onto PSP2. Might be a really good move... for everyone.

Eccocid

Nirolak said:
The team is already busy making a game with Namco Bandai.

after Dark Soul's maybe?

Would be funny tho lol
Then MS throws money to get Dark S ip and sony has Demon S and From is bounded to make sequels for each other every year! ah a man can only dream! lol

falconzss

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Sony owns the IP and engine. They don't technically even need to get From to develop it.

They don't but whatever they are trying to do with the IP, it probably won't be anything we would want it to be. Someone posted today that Sony demanded to make Demon's Souls easier but From refused.

slider

Wow, guess I should start DS. But LBP2 has just turned up and I don't want it to disappear into backlog hell (never to be touched again).

Fucking decisions. :mad:

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
recklessmind said:
But they should... I'm expecting DS2 to find its way onto PSP2. Might be a really good move... for everyone.
I would be more worried about my battery running out on a boss than any enemies.

Canova

Banned
Thnikkaman said:
Now that's a big fucking rat.

that's disgusting.

I don't know which one is more disgusting that giant rat or the vagina dentata. but I think vagina dentata is still 10 times more disgusting, that's why they're not releasing the HD picture

cj_iwakura

Considering Sony's treatment of Demon's Souls(the aforementioned requests, SCEA passing on it), they really don't deserve it.

Hopefully the PS3 exclusivity in Japan will sate them from messing with the franchise.

Zeliard

Raide said:
And the 2 dudes pretending to be vases so they can steal Dragon's treasure.

lol

It'd be so hilarious to be walking up a path and just see some random vase standing conspicuously near a Dragon that you're about to fight. Just the visual of that is great.

Evolved1

Dance In My Blood said:
I would be more worried about my battery running out on a boss than any enemies.

Hmm... usually you know when a boss fight is upon you. You could just check the battery.

The cool thing about DS is that if you turn off the game you remain in the same space... it's perfect for PSP standby/sleep/off mode or whatever. I'm telling you dude DS PSP would be huge in NA and EU... like our version of Monster Hunter.

Canova

Banned
And the 2 dudes pretending to be vases so they can steal Dragon's treasure.

is that the vase thing all about? trying to steal some treasures from the dragon, hahhahaha, that's hilarious

Zoe

recklessmind said:

I'd expect them to just port the original game. It's perfect for showing off the connected nature of the NGP.

HomerSimpson-Man said:

Hmm, I would be a lot more confident if From developed a Demon's Souls 2. And who is to say that this is not the sequel, or a prequel even? The IP may be owned by Sony, but that is probably just a naming issue. The PhyreEngine is a toolset developed by Sony for multiplatform development which this game seems to satisfy.

This game has the look of DS and still has "Souls" in the title. I don't know what restrictions owning an IP imposes on future entries in the series, but it is not gameplay mechanics or even assets. Boletaria was amazing, but I don't necessarily want to revist that in a sequel.

If Sony does own the IP then shame on them for not publishing the game in any region outside of Japan. If Namco is willing to step up then I am willing to sacrifice the names and locations from the first game.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Zeliard said:
lol

It'd be so hilarious to be walking up a path and just see some random vase standing conspicuously near a Dragon that you're about to fight. Just the visual of that is great.
Both you and the enemy vase can't do a single thing to each other because the dragon would wake up!

Peff

If Dark Souls manages to grab the fanbase Demon's Souls managed to create plus more from 360, is there even a reason for From to go back to Demon's Souls at all? It's pretty clear from what we've seen this week that having a different name means nothing in terms of stuff they're not allowed to do, I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't be able to tell screens from both games apart if you mixed them. There's also the possibility that Namco made a contract so that they get dibs on sequels if it's sucessful, given their desperate need for good franchises.

Zeliard

canova said:
is that the vase thing all about? trying to steal some treasures from the dragon, hahhahaha, that's hilarious

This is the vase thing, it's not that big a spoiler. It's just awesome:

"Another feature we saw is your ability to turn into a vase and tuck yourself among other vases to hide from other players."

Thnikkaman said:
Both you and the enemy vase can't do a single thing to each other because the dragon would wake up!

It's truly a game about patience.

Draft

Wow, it really looks amazing. Just great art. Love it.

DS PSP could be cool, but it would need to be like just a bunch of single levels you could hub to and complete quickly. Time attack style.

Durante

I wonder if this will have any areas that compare in sheer terror to DS's 3-1. If so I better get some heart pills.

WilyRook

Feels like my PS3 is on borrowed time for some superstitious reason. My 360's ringed. Luxury money limited.

May all our systems of choice remain mended through 2011 and beyond. Umbasa.

Evolved1

Zoe said:
I'd expect them to just port the original game. It's perfect for showing off the connected nature of the NGP.

Maybe... but the way invasions work would not suit handheld gaming. You can't turn it off while being invaded.

To do DS on handheld you'd have to give people the ability to instantly put the game into standby or something. Other than invasions, DS is designed in such a way that turning it off at any time doesn't penalize you...

I'd want DS2... not a straight port... but I'd buy either.

Canova

Banned
Zeliard said:
This is the vase thing, it's not that big a spoiler. It's just awesome:

"Another feature we saw is your ability to turn into a vase and tuck yourself among other vases to hide from other players."

It's truly a game about patience.

hahhahahahha, that's brilliant and hilarious

soldat7

Demon's Souls 2 from Sony would be very strange, given that Dark Souls is clearly Demon's Souls 2 in all but name. Check out the font for "Dark Souls" in the trailer for crying out loud lol. It's evocative of the Nexus.

Top Bottom