• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

Orayn said:
The actual character doesn't, as far as we know. Some art in a Japanese magazine showed someone who looked awfully similar, though...

The Maiden of Ashes, or something to that effect.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Corky said:
So is her pancake eyes.
Now you got me all hungry man ._. I'd eat both the pancakes and her (yes, I've got Maiden in Black fetish and no one can blame me for this! After so many countless of hours in Nexus...)

Zeliard

ironcreed said:
I actually like how they balanced refilling your health at a bonfire with making the enemies you have slain respawn when you do. Fits like a glove and keeps challenge intact in terms of exploration. It is as if they are saying, "Want your health back? Here, light this bonfire. Just make sure you do better next time you have to face the foes that took it from you... because they are back now."

Yeah it's another one of the game's great risk-reward systems.

Death Dealer said:
No hub. All of the world is supposed to be connected together, but I doubt it will be linear. Probably several different ways to go, but of course many areas will be too challenging until you're ready for them.

Apparently with the first bonfire you come to, you have several paths to choose from, and those then split off further. The individual levels also seem to be interconnected, so potentially you never have to return to a previous bonfire and can navigate those levels seamlessly.

The bonfire seems to function as a quasi-hub - a singular area featuring direct paths to other places but not being necessary to return to.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I'm pretty proud of myself for taking in as little about this game as I have, considering how much I loved the first one.

Johnas

_tetsuo_ said:
I'm pretty proud of myself for taking in as little about this game as I have, considering how much I loved the first one.

Same here. I've only seen the very first trailer, and a handful of screens, most of them accidentally (barring what's in the OP of this thread).

I went into Demon's Souls knowing little except it was highly praised, and I believe the experience was the better for it.

Risible

I can't believe it's almost here. After finally tiring of Demon's Souls after something like 200 hours I was sad because I figured there'd never be a sequel.

I actually pre-ordered both the 360 and PS3 editions so that I can have the CE goodness in both flavors. :)

Zeliard

Johnas said:
Same here. I've only seen the very first trailer, and a handful of screens, most of them accidentally (barring what's in the OP of this thread).

I went into Demon's Souls knowing little except it was highly praised, and I believe the experience was the better for it.

Ditto. Only seen the first trailer as well. The visuals are particularly what I want to limit to when I play the game, but I also haven't read up much on it. Still have no idea how some of its mechanics that I've seen mentioned work, like the Humanity stuff, but part of the joy of this type of game is the discovery.

It's good in a way that From didn't have the Demon's Souls IP, because although Dark Souls is still remarkably similar in many ways (obviously a good thing), it afforded them the opportunity to add some twists to the formula that they may not otherwise have.

Hi2u

Banned
Varna said:
The reason this is done is because you can attack with items equipped on your left hand as well. It's far more intuitive that way.

And you should definitely play Demons Souls. It wasn't some "game with a lot of potential." Game was an instant classic.

Yeah but with all the other games coming out this and demons would be too much time sink. Also from the looks of it dark is just a more refined improved game over demons so I'll just wait for that instead at this point.

I was wondering if anyone could clear this up for me:

So I've got both a regular edition of Dark Souls and Dark Souls Collector's edition pre-ordered on Amazon. I was wondering if the Collectors edition is a different version of the game rather than the free upgrade version.

I need to cancel one or the other soon.

NightHawk17 said:

So I've got both a regular edition of Dark Souls and Dark Souls Collector's edition pre-ordered on Amazon. I was wondering if the Collectors edition is a different version of the game rather than the free upgrade version.

I believe they are the same version, for a limited time. Meaning Standard version pre-orders get upgraded.

I initially pre-ordered it when it was the Standard version listed, and now my order says Collector's...

Orayn

NightHawk17 said:

If I'm not mistaken, all pre-orders are automatically upgraded to collector's edition. Not sure how/why you managed to pre-order a regular version, so I'd just remove that one.

Draft

As I understand it every version of Dark Souls is the collector's edition, for now. After all of the units from launch are gone, all that will remain is some new, regular edition.

ironcreed

Banned
New OXM hands-on preview.

"It's incredible, and you're going to hate it"

"Dark Souls is the kind of game that glues a pound coin to the floor, laughs when you try to pick it up, then stabs you in the neck with a large rusty spear. It makes you want to climb onto the roof of the nearest building and start swearing profusely at the world through a megaphone. Even now, it's taking every ounce of our self-restraint not to fill the page with profanity-loaded praise. You'll certainly hate us for saying it, but this is a game that you're going to need to play."

"In a genre oversaturated with green hills and moody dwarves, Dark Souls is a delightfully bleak alternative. Rooms are dark, everything is deadly, and everyone is out to get you. You're going to die. Repeatedly."

http://www.oxm.co.uk/33816/previews/dark-souls-hands-on-its-incredible-and-youre-going-to-hate-it/

ironcreed said:

"Dark Souls is the kind of game that glues a pound coin to the floor, laughs when you try to pick it up, then stabs you in the neck with a large rusty spear. It makes you want to climb onto the roof of the nearest building and start swearing profusely at the world through a megaphone. Even now, it's taking every ounce of our self-restraint not to fill the page with profanity-loaded praise. You'll certainly hate us for saying it, but this is a game that you're going to need to play."

"In a genre oversaturated with green hills and moody dwarves, Dark Souls is a delightfully bleak alternative. Rooms are dark, everything is deadly, and everyone is out to get you. You're going to die. Repeatedly."

http://www.oxm.co.uk/33816/previews/dark-souls-hands-on-its-incredible-and-youre-going-to-hate-it/

Oh man, that's awesome. I'll add it to the thread later too. Thanks for the heads up!

Loved the large rusty spear bit.

Max

I am not Max
NightHawk17 said:

Mine's the same for amazon.ca, I think it's just an error on the site

Says I pre-ordered "Dark Souls" and then found they had a newer entry for "Dark Souls Collectors Edition"

I don't really know.

ooohh, nice preview. thanks for posting.

i'm starting to get really hyped for this. i just really need to finish some games first before this beast releases (Deus Ex, please don't be too long lol). i know i will not give two shits about anything else for months to come once i get my hands on this..

Max said:
Mine's the same for amazon.ca, I think it's just an error on the site

Says I pre-ordered "Dark Souls" and then found they had a newer entry for "Dark Souls Collectors Edition"

I don't really know.

Mine's saying the same, when did you pre-order? I pre-ordered back in May and that was before they had officially announced pre-order upgrades I believe. When I look at my order and click on the "Dark Souls" title, it takes me to the collector's edition.

So yea, even if it says Dark Souls, it is the CE that you will get if pre-ordered.

Max

I am not Max
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Mine's saying the same, when did you pre-order? I pre-ordered back in May and that was before they had officially announced pre-order upgrades I believe. When I look at my order and click on the "Dark Souls" title, it takes me to the collector's edition.

So yea, even if it says Dark Souls, it is the CE that you will get if pre-ordered.
Just this morning. Guess they updated it today for some reason. They made it pretty obvious that it was the CE on the first entry anyway

F#A#Oo said:
The wiki page for this game is how should I say..."bare"...

Which one?

Wikispaces, well, once the game is released it will fill up quickly. There's a bunch of folks working together to translate the Livedoor wiki. Don't worry :)

Max said:
Just this morning. Guess they updated it today for some reason. They made it pretty obvious that it was the CE on the first entry anyway

Yea that's weird, Maybe to avoid confusion, I wonder if it will change to Dark Souls after the promotion is up.

F#A#Oo

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Which one?

Wikispaces, well, once the game is released it will fill up quickly. There's a bunch of folks working together to translate the Livedoor wiki. Don't worry :)

Wiki wiki! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Souls

I was trying to get a friend to check the game out...and his first port of call was to check out wikipedia and when he saw the page had little info his reply was "Meh...if the game had support and was good enough someone (a fan) would have put some effort on the wiki page"...which everyone in my group of friends agreed upon...and I was struck by this lightning bolt that wikipedia influences gaming purchases...

Which makes me think how many other people get their info on games from wiki...? and how many developers and publishers are under utilising what is essentially a go-to for people wanting info and it's practically free marketing if done correctly...

Orayn

F#A#Oo said:
Wiki wiki! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Souls

I was trying to get a friend to check the game out...and his first port of call was to check out wikipedia and when he saw the page had little info his reply was "Meh...if the game had support and was good enough someone (a fan) would have put some effort on the wiki page"...which everyone in my group of friends agreed upon...and I was struck by this lightning bolt that wikipedia influences gaming purchases...

Which makes me think how many other people get their info on games from wiki...? and how many developers and publishers are under utilising what is essentially a go-to for people wanting info and it's practically free marketing if done correctly...
Hmm, seems like a project we could tackle if we gathered up some good sources to use. I've made a few additions to the Dark Souls TV Tropes aricle, but I haven't had all that much experience with building up Wikipedia articles. If all else fails, we could use the Demon's Souls article as a template and try to make some nice parallels between the two.

Canova

Banned
ironcreed said:

yes! yes! yes!

Dark Souls is gonna make every other game looks like a Hanna Montana game

ironcreed said:

someone's taking their cues from old demon's souls reviews :) ...

Chris R

As someone who bought ds but never got into it, this game intrigues me. Don't think I'll get it on launch but if it goes on sale during BF I might cave.

What does the title reference? I don't get it.

Orayn

rhfb said:
As someone who bought ds but never got into it, this game intrigues me. Don't think I'll get it on launch but if it goes on sale during BF I might cave.

A line spoken by the Maiden in Black in Demon's Souls is "Let strength be granted so the worth might be mended. So the world might be mended."
We're hoping Dark Souls is a wakeup call for fresher, tougher, more rewarding games. :)

Zeth

_tetsuo_ said:
same here. I've never been able to do this, even with games I'm only marginally interested in. For Dark Souls though I've only seen the boss fight from E3 with the bell towers and some early screenshots.

Not technically a blackout but it's something new for me and if it turns out well I might keep up my blackout on Arkham City/Skyrim and the rest of my most wanted list.

rhfb said:

That deep, dark, difficult games do sell and mop up critical awards so making them isn't necessarily financial suicide.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm actually not sure if being on a blackout is a good idea.. Demon's Souls was basically a game I had to "study" for to really understand all the deep layers. If Dark is like that I can see myself missing out on a lot of neat content. I know that's why a lot of people didn't like Demon's, but playing that game with a wiki on hand to deal with tendencies or geckos or whatever was so much fun.

rhfb said:

And so it begins !

;D

Orayn

worldrevolution said:
I'm actually not sure if being on a blackout is a good idea.. Demon's Souls was basically a game I had to "study" for to really understand all the deep layers. If Dark is like that I can see myself missing out on a lot of neat content. I know that's why a lot of people didn't like Demon's, but playing that game with a wiki on hand to deal with tendencies or geckos or whatever was so much fun.
I think I'll try to do my first playthrough mostly blind, or at least with limited help in the form of asking GAF and friends simple questions. After that, it's straight-up Wiki-powered perfectionist completionism time.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Orayn said:
I think I'll try to do my first playthrough mostly blind, or at least with limited help in the form of asking GAF and friends simple questions. After that, it's straight-up Wiki-powered perfectionist completionism time.

Well obviously I'll be going in blind too on Thursday, but I will have the JP livejournal at hand to look at/add things myself. I came in just a little late on Demon so I'm happy to be there in the beginning for this one.

Orayn

The Xtortionist said:
I play pretty much everything on hard and don't usually have a problem with stuff being too easy.
I guess it's not so much a matter of maximum difficulty as it is setting the bar a little higher and making challenging gameplay feel more rewarding.

I just hope Dark Souls is going to be fair. One of the Famitsu reviewers said the game had traps that you couldn't possibly avoid on the first run through. That's bullshit; if the game wants to be challenging, fine, but don't jerk me around.

I'm an expert

Well took myself a bit out of blackout and read about the classes/trophies. I hate thief classes but they always seem to give them the "lockpicking" skill that no one else gets. In some games the lockpicking is completely worthless (Dragon Age) but in this one..who knows..I hate not being able to unlock doors but ugh don't want to play a thief. On the other hand I rolled a hunter in Demon's and that really didn't mean anything other than "you start with a bow" so I might just pick whatever class looks cool. As for the trophies..indeed..indeed..

worldrevolution said:
Well obviously I'll be going in blind too on Thursday, but I will have the JP livejournal at hand to look at/add things myself. I came in just a little late on Demon so I'm happy to be there in the beginning for this one.

I may be consulting you as well when it comes to item pickup :p

Any rumblings on your side of the globe about the game from friends, companions, etc?

The Xtortionist said:
I just hope Dark Souls is going to be fair. One of the Famitsu reviewers said the game had traps that you couldn't possibly avoid on the first run through. That's bullshit; if the game wants to be challenging, fine, but don't jerk me around.

Demon's Souls was one of the few games that epitomized a fair challenge, where death is only due to one's own impatience and error, so I don't think you'll be let down. It's so much more satisfying to have a game designed around being a challenge to player, instead of slapping on higher difficulties that only increase enemy HP & damage.

worldrevolution said:
Well took myself a bit out of blackout and read about the classes/trophies. I hate thief classes but they always seem to give them the "lockpicking" skill that no one else gets. In some games the lockpicking is completely worthless (Dragon Age) but in this one..who knows..I hate not being able to unlock doors but ugh don't want to play a thief. On the other hand I rolled a hunter in Demon's and that really didn't mean anything other than "you start with a bow" so I might just pick whatever class looks cool. As for the trophies..indeed..indeed..

You could always
choose Master Key as your starting gift
and roll a different class.

I'm an expert

Sseklebeast said:
You could always
choose Master Key as your starting gift
and roll a different class.

Not really sure what you're referring to. Perhaps I should read around more haha..no idea what the thing you spoiler tagged is.

The_Monk

So many ways to die in this game and still it's things like the Plague that scare me.

I saw people saying that they are going to turn the lights off, turn the volume up and play Dark Souls. If I did that on those swamps in Demon's Souls...then poor me.

Its one of the scariest games for me. I played some Resident Evil series, Silent Hill, Forbidden Siren, Condemned,etc. But a game like this... where I can die with the most weak soldier if I do not pay attention it's one of the terrifying experiences in games that I can have.

Yet I finished DS and had this pre-ordered since May.. The only thing that makes me feel less lonely in this travel is that I know GAF will be there.

...And I wonder if I should go melee again.

Crisis

Banned
Hey guys, I read the OP and I've tried to do some research on it. How does the co-op function in this game work?

Crisis said:
Hey guys, I read the OP and I've tried to do some research on it. How does the co-op function in this game work?

What coop? I played Demon's Souls offline because my fucking world tendency would reset otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom