• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy

Has there been anything mentioned recently about weapon swing speed being affected by (strength/dexterity?) stats? It would potentially add a huge amount of depth to the combat (not that it needs much more). I'd imagine it would work in a similar way to the
4 different stages of roll speed
if it did exist.

Also, I'm tossing up whether or not to get the US version special edition (in addition to the JPN and PAL versions i've already pre-ordered) since it apparently comes in a steel book (and i'm a sucker for steel books) even though it seems to be getting the short end of the stick in terms of extras. Is there anything that gives it the edge over the PAL version? I'm still a little bit confused about the contents, since there have been a few different variations of covers and contents over the past months for different regions.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Urban Scholar said:
Man, woke today to see a friend left me a message: Two Weeks!!!

Yeah I think he's hyped
This is what I've been doing to my friend on MSN the past 2 months :lol

web01

Squishy said:
Has there been anything mentioned recently about weapon swing speed being affected by (strength/dexterity?) stats? It would potentially add a huge amount of depth to the combat (not that it needs much more). I'd imagine it would work in a similar way to the
4 different stages of roll speed
if it did exist.

Also, I'm tossing up whether or not to get the US version special edition (in addition to the JPN and PAL versions i've already pre-ordered) since it apparently comes in a steel book (and i'm a sucker for steel books) even though it seems to be getting the short end of the stick in terms of extras. Is there anything that gives it the edge over the PAL version? I'm still a little bit confused about the contents, since there have been a few different variations of covers and contents over the past months for different regions.

Well it has been mentioned the weapons of the same class will not always share the same swings. Whether that means they have unique animations or speeds is yet to be seen, but it seems like a safe bet. I do remember the devs saying somethnig about wanting to make every weapon unique so that players could discover their own preferred play styles.

Yoshichan

Did we get a confirmation about the jump button in this game?

Foffy

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Did we get a confirmation about the jump button in this game?

It's related to the roll, I think. There is Gamescom footage of the jumping, and it's more of a mini hop.

TGMIII

Asked before but I'm pretty sure no one gave an answer. Can you properly co-op in this or is it like demons souls where one player has to be in soul form?

Yoshichan

Foffy said:
It's related to the roll, I think. There is Gamescom footage of the jumping, and it's more of a mini hop.
Interesting...

Yoshichan

kvn said:
Surely there are copy/print shops in Sweden, no?
Filmhuset is a great place for prints. Hopefully there's one near him.

Foffy

Banned
awwyeahgurrl said:
Asked before but I'm pretty sure no one gave an answer. Can you properly co-op in this or is it like demons souls where one player has to be in soul form?

I think it's structured a bit in the same way. Considering you play as an Undead/Undying/Hollow (what's the name they're going with now? :p) I believe you must be in Human form to have people join your game. I have heard that if you're not in Human form, you can still join other peoples games, but I'm unsure about that.

Humanity seems to be much easier to come by compared to being in Body form ala Demon's Souls. The footage from NicoNico's playthrough indicated
it is a rare drop absorbed when killing enemies, when you get their souls.

Yoshichan

panda21 said:
ahhh I don't know if should 360 or ps3

sounds like they have been demoing it on 360?

probably will end up both :3
They've been demoing it on PS3 the majority of times. It's also the lead console. And the hardcore fanbase is on PS3.

Yoshichan

Backfoggen said:
Are the PS3 saves copy protected again?
Most likely, but not if you're using cloud storage through PS+.

So someone on the dark souls wiki says that he got some kind of official confirmation that the Japanese version and the NA version will not be on the same servers.

So now what do I do? I live in Japan, but my Japanese isn't great.

I'd much rather play in English, but I also don't want to put up with lag in multiplayer (and I don't mind getting the game early).

Shrug, I guess I'll be getting the Japanese version, but the language situation kind of sucks.

Requeim

god i can't waaaait, there's a blank spot next to my US and EU collector's editions of Demon's Souls just waiting to be filled.

teh_J0kerer said:
So someone on the dark souls wiki says that he got some kind of official confirmation that the Japanese version and the NA version will not be on the same servers.

So now what do I do? I live in Japan, but my Japanese isn't great.

I'd much rather play in English, but I also don't want to put up with lag in multiplayer (and I don't mind getting the game early).

Shrug, I guess I'll be getting the Japanese version, but the language situation kind of sucks.

Where did you hear that? Which wiki, I mean...

I bought Demon's Souls at launch and while I enjoyed what I played of it I never got around to finishing it. I don't remember being stuck or anything, I just got distracted by other games. I probably played the game for around 15 hours so I have a good idea of how everything works.

Now, I'm looking for some advice. Beyond telling me repeatedly how much of a heathen I am for not finishing Demon Souls, can anyone tell me what I should do regarding the franchise at this point? I'm very interested in Dark Souls and I would like to pick it up at launch, this time with a much more dedicated attitude towards actually finishing the game.

Do you guys think I should pick up Dark Souls and forget about Demon's Souls, at least until I'm done with the new game? Should I finish Demon's Souls first? Is there anything about Dark Souls that sounds much better than the first game, or is it basically going to be more of the same? I've been trying to avoid too much exposure to the game so I figured I would ask for some advice here.

The_Darkest_Red said:
I bought Demon's Souls at launch and while I enjoyed what I played of it I never got around to finishing it. I don't remember being stuck or anything, I just got distracted by other games. I probably played the game for around 15 hours so I have a good idea of how everything works.

Now, I'm looking for some advice. Beyond telling me repeatedly how much of a heathen I am for not finishing Demon Souls, can anyone tell me what I should do regarding the franchise at this point? I'm very interested in Dark Souls and I would like to pick it up at launch, this time with a much more dedicated attitude towards actually finishing the game.

Do you guys think I should pick up Dark Souls and forget about Demon's Souls, at least until I'm done with the new game? Should I finish Demon's Souls first? Is there anything about Dark Souls that sounds much better than the first game, or is it basically going to be more of the same? I've been trying to avoid too much exposure to the game so I figured I would ask for some advice here.

There will definitely be improvements, additions that differ from Demon's Souls. Some people, and I agree with them, have mentioned in this thread that you really will appreciate the changes if you've played it, which it sounds like you did. Story-wise the games aren't connected (or are they?), so I don't think you have to worry about that. I think the final bits of Demon's Souls are incredibly unique and interesting, and some of the coolest aesthetics, visually, happen in the end regarding environment/enemy concepts. It's an experience, but also not completely necessary. Still, I'm always for playing the whole game :)

The_Darkest_Red said:

Finishing Demon's Souls is worth it just for the 1-4 boss battle.

I'll be hopping on Dark Souls later than most as a result of most likely getting it through Goozex, but I expect a thriving online community to make my world even more of a living hell when I start playing a few months from now. Hype!

web01

Would the seperate servers be only for the ps3 versions or the 360 version also?

Do any 360 games seperate games by region and does microsoft even allow it?

web01 said:
Would the seperate servers be only for the ps3 versions or the 360 version also?

Do any 360 games seperate games by region and does microsoft even allow it?

That could be what is meant, and the poster on the wiki was confused? Meaning, PS3 and 360 servers are separate.

Marco1

Has there been any indication whether the 360 version will be worse than PS3 version?
Thanks and apologies if it's been mentioned.

Takuya

Banned
Marco1 said:
Has there been any indication whether the 360 version will be worse than PS3 version?
Apart from the 40 second load time after dying (360), they're pretty much similar.

DuendeSmoker

Neo Member
Marco1 said:

Besides rumors of compressed audio, nothing.

I think it's safe to say that both versions are at least on par with each other.

Kacho

Philanthropist said:
Will there be a demo? The fact that there wasn't one for Demon's Souls and the frightening difficulty tales were what kept me from getting it.

I almost missed out on the first game because I took forum comments and gaming press (Giant Bomb mostly) comments about the difficulty too seriously. Honestly, Demon's Souls isn't that hard. The game has an almost perfect difficulty curve. It's challenging, yet fair.

Angst

Takuya said:
Apart from the 40 second load time after dying (360), they're pretty much similar.
Hopefully that 40 second load time is not in the final game. TGS build and all that.

Matsuno said:

Oh my god, so fucking stoked right now.

So glad I took Saturday off.

PhoReal said:
I almost missed out on the first game because I took forum comments and gaming press (Giant Bomb mostly) comments about the difficulty too seriously. Honestly, Demon's Souls isn't that hard. The game has an almost perfect difficulty curve. It's challenging, yet fair.

Very good point, I felt the same way after multiple playthroughs. You become very strong at higher SL, and when weapons are maxed and you're used to the mechanics and enemies, it's not too hard.

PhoReal said:
Yeah I always felt like the difficulty of the game was portrayed incorrectly because there's just not an easy way to describe it. It's something you have to experience for yourself to really understand. I had a college roommate play it on my PS3 and beat it, and he wasn't a regular gamer at all. He was patient and meticulous though, and those attributes go a long way in Demon's Souls.

The_Darkest_Red said:

unless you genuinely hated the game, there's no possible way i could recommend not finishing demon's souls. &, seeing as you didn't, i won't...

otoh, what with all the 'new hotness' dark souls hype right now, if you're into such crap, then sure, why not pass on it for now? yes, there will always be something missing in your life until you do get around to finishing it, but, hey, like millions of others, you'll just have to stumble along in the meantime :) ...

Angst

Matsuno said:
WTF at this guys eyes:

z6.jpg

also: proof that David Bowie is in every game :p

Orayn said:
Haha, looks like Japan's been reading this very thread! Also, interesting that it's broken street date already.

Yea it is, wish it would ship to the State importers earlier :p

Still confused if the "picture book award" comes automatically, I know it's being sold separately right now.

Although I think worldrevolution cleared that up.

So what's the deal with the collector's edition in Japan? It looks like it's not a free upgrade, and just costs extra as normal? (just looking on amazon.co.jp)

soldat7

Philanthropist said:
Will there be a demo? The fact that there wasn't one for Demon's Souls and the frightening difficulty tales were what kept me from getting it.

Demo? lol

In all seriousness, a demo wouldn't come close to doing this game any justice, and would be a disservice to the game and the experience.

awwyeahgurrl said:

This game is doing everything it can to remain as unconventional as possible.

teh_J0kerer said:
So what's the deal with the collector's edition in Japan? It looks like it's not a free upgrade, and just costs extra as normal? (just looking on amazon.co.jp)

Yup, that's what I've seen, and worldrevolution confirmed in this thread that there isn't an automatic upgrade for pre-orders. Kind of sucks.

But that link just posted has me confused. Obviously he probably purchased the award version.

semiconscious said:
unless you genuinely hated the game, there's no possible way i could recommend not finishing demon's souls. &, seeing as you didn't, i won't...

otoh, what with all the 'new hotness' dark souls hype right now, if you're into such crap, then sure, why not pass on it for now? yes, there will always be something missing in your life until you do get around to finishing it, but, hey, like millions of others, you'll just have to stumble along in the meantime :) ...
I guess I'm just a little intimidated at the thought of picking up in Demon's Souls where I left off. I haven't played the game in at least a year or so and I don't really remember where I was, what was going on, or how much time it would take me to finish the game. The thought of starting fresh is just a lot more appealing at this point.

Of course, you could just keep trying and eventually convince me to play Demon's Souls... I need to get it off my mind anyway...

Then there is the issue of Dark Souls being upgraded for free to the collector's edition if you preorder. That just makes it so hard to pass up.

Angst

soldat7 said:
Demo? lol

In all seriousness, a demo wouldn't come close to doing this game any justice, and would be a disservice to the game and the experience.

This game is doing everything it can to remain as unconventional as possible.
Only demo I could see working is full game with a time limit. Like the full game trials on PSN Store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom