• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Ahh, copy protected saves. This practice needs to die. (no, I'm not paying for cloud saves). They need to just encrypt them and lock them to one user/system.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
alr1ghtstart said:
Ahh, copy protected saves. This practice needs to die. (no, I'm not paying for cloud saves). They need to just encrypt them and lock them to one user/system.
My thoughts exactly.

Orayn

alr1ghtstart said:
I dunno, preventing savescumming has always been a staple of certain genres. Hell, some PC roguelikes delete your saves as soon as you load into them, meaning you're left with nothing until you go through the full process of saving and quitting. It would be nice if From were a bit more lax, but I guess I'd prefer the inconveniences of uncopyable saves to rampant cheating.

alr1ghtstart said:

Wait what? Are you saying that I can't copy my saves for this game and bring them to my brother's house to play on his ps3?

Orayn

teh_J0kerer said:
Wait what? Are you saying that I can't copy my saves for this game and bring them to my brother's house to play on his ps3?
Nope. No copying saves also means no duped items and no people downloading pre-made ganking characters off the internet. (Hopefully.)

alr1ght

It's tough in a game like DS because the singleplayer and multiplayer are so connected. It just irritates me when games with "regular" SP & MP lock them all into one save file (I'm looking at you KZ2). If they don't want cheating, make a separate save for the MP and I really couldn't care less if someone cheats in a SP game.

They still should just encrypt them to one user/system, as I'll take the benefits of knowing my 100+ hour game won't be lost as opposed to some random player duping items.

Zeliard

The_Darkest_Red said:
Yeah I always felt like the difficulty of the game was portrayed incorrectly because there's just not an easy way to describe it. It's something you have to experience for yourself to really understand. I had a college roommate play it on my PS3 and beat it, and he wasn't a regular gamer at all.

It's a game that is unforgiving to mistakes and demands patience and awareness from the player, in a day where so many titles are desperate to hold your hand and carefully guide you from point A to B. That's why people have trouble quantifying the difficulty in Demon's Souls. It's not difficult skill-wise as something like Ninja Gaiden or DMC, though you've still gotta be on your toes when facing a boss like Flamelurker in melee.

It mostly just requires you to pay attention to your surroundings and tread carefully, concepts many gamers these days struggle with because they so rarely see it. Combat has a methodical rhythm to it and generally involves less in terms of reflexes and dexterity and much more in the way of tactical awareness and proper timing.

Gamers who play DS sprinting around unfamiliar environments and diving headlong into battle throwing all caution to the wind, thinking they're playing Heavenly Sword or some shit, will and have struggled to beat 1-1 after a couple hours and just permanently ragequit, damning Demon's Souls to the depths of hell and all of its masochistic followers with it.

web01

I wonder if you will be locked out of summoning in "stages" after you beat the bosses or if it will be possible to co op at any moment.

In DS the objective was to defeat the major demon in each stage but that is no longer the case with the open world.

in theory it should be possible to co op for a longer amount of time if you do not die but who knows how they have changed how it works.

Orayn said:
Nope. No copying saves also means no duped items and no people downloading pre-made ganking characters off the internet. (Hopefully.)

Damn, that blows. About a week after the Japanese release Im traveling to North America for about a month, partly to visit my family. I'm screwed..

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
teh_J0kerer said:
Damn, that blows. About a week after the Japanese release Im traveling to North America for about a month, partly to visit my family. I'm screwed..
Oh well, only solution: buy two copies :D

alr1ght

teh_J0kerer said:

Cloud saving should work, but it costs $$$.

mujun

teh_J0kerer said:
Any guys in Japan know if there are midnight releases over here for this game?

I seriously doubt it. It's usually early morning on a Thursday no matter how big the game.

Takuya said:
That has nothing to do with copy-protected saved.

What he should do is get a PS+ account and store the gamesave to the cloud.

Oh, wait, I didn't know this was possible.. I don't know shit about PS+. If I cancel PS+ at some point, then can I get the save back off the cloud?

alr1ght

teh_J0kerer said:
Oh, wait, I didn't know this was possible.. I don't know shit about PS+. If I cancel PS+ at some point, then can I get the save back off the cloud?

No. If you can cancel, the save stays up for 6 months. You need to resub to download it again.

alr1ghtstart said:
No. If you can cancel, the save stays up for 6 months. You need to resub to download it again.

Oh.. lame. I don't think I want to permanently subscribe to PS+ just for my dark souls save game lol.

I guess I could lug my ps3 across the pacific.. :(.

Angst

Backfoggen said:
Did they patch in auto-save to the cloud yet or do you have to do it manually.
It's automatic. You do have to have PSN+ though and it only syncs once a day at the time you have specified.

MMaRsu

Banned
So I heard some interesting news about this game yesterday..

So it seems the world isn't fully 100% open as in, it has linear paths still. You can go a few ways in the beginning but it seems that those paths are so crazy hard and dangerous that you'll be sort of funneled into going a certain way, at least the first time.

Not that it really bothers me, just something I thought was like eh? They've been touting this open world stuff, you can go anywhere anytime..sure you can I guess but only if you want to be a sick ass mofo.

johntown

Banned
MMaRsu said:

So it seems the world isn't fully 100% open as in, it has linear paths still. You can go a few ways in the beginning but it seems that those paths are so crazy hard and dangerous that you'll be sort of funneled into going a certain way, at least the first time.

Not that it really bothers me, just something I thought was like eh? They've been touting this open world stuff, you can go anywhere anytime..sure you can I guess but only if you want to be a sick ass mofo.
When they say open they mean more seamless (not open like Skyrim will be). The really hard alternate paths makes sense to me.......to have something for a second playthrough.

I know I never expected it to be fully open like most WRPGS but I think seamless is a much better description.

So is it possible to save to the cloud and have a copy on your machine that works if you don't resub? I don't know much about that...

Sorry if that's the same question that's being discussed but I'm just looking at it as having a backup so to speak that sits on my machine. No plans to transfer to other machine at this time.

johntown

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
So is it possible to save to the cloud and have a copy on your machine that works if you don't resub? I don't know much about that...

Sorry if that's the same question that's being discussed but I'm just looking at it as having a backup so to speak that sits on my machine. No plans to transfer to other machine at this time.
Yes

Yoshichan

Takuya said:
That has nothing to do with copy-protected saved.

What he should do is get a PS+ account and store the gamesave to the cloud.
Shit, completely read his problem wrong ._.

Wait, so I'm just getting confused.

Can I or can I not do the following:

Buy Dark Souls Sep 22 in Japan. Get a 3 month PS+ subscription, and save my game to the cloud. Sept 29 I travel to Toronto. I sign in under my own psn id on my brother's PS3, and use my cloud save for dark souls. Oct 31 I return to Japan, and continue playing with my cloud save on my ps3. The cloud save is then synched to my own ps3. After 2 more months, my ps+ subscription runs out, and I continue playing dark souls with my hard copy save as normal.

Takuya

Banned
teh_J0kerer said:

Buy Dark Souls Sep 22 in Japan. Get a 3 month PS+ subscription, and save my game to the cloud. Sept 29 I travel to Toronto. I sign in under my own psn id on my brother's PS3, and use my cloud save for dark souls. Oct 31 I return to Japan, and continue playing with my cloud save on my ps3. The cloud save is then synched to my own ps3. After 2 more months, my ps+ subscription runs out, and I continue playing dark souls with my hard copy save as normal.
That's fine. The only thing that happens when your PS+ account expires is that you can't use the cloud anymore.

MMaRsu

Banned
teh_J0kerer said:

I'd say yes.

johntown

Banned
teh_J0kerer said:

Yes this will work......just make sure you overwrite the save on your PS3 with the cloud one when you get back.

Dunan

I'm still on the fence about preordering the US collector's edition.

The Japanese version gives you a physical soundtrack and map:

_h475_4949776341053_001.jpg

...but costs Y8900, or almost $120!

The US CE is half the price at $60:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00542ZQJO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

...but the extras aren't pictured. The strategy guide is a one-user-only digital thing, right? How about the soundtrack? Not that the game's not worth buying, but I might just shell out for the Japanese version and play it on Day 1.

Orayn

MMaRsu said:

I think a lot of the "open world" stuff was overreaction and misunderstandings from the Western press. Sure, it'll be a lot more open than Demon's Souls, but I've heard Skyrim-like expectations from lots of people, which just isn't the case. If anything, it's going to be a rat's nest of semi-linear levels connected in semi-linear ways.

Orayn

UDA said:
I believe this is the "final" version of the US Collector's Edition.

8e182.jpg

Yes, the strategy guide is digital and I believe the soundtrack is as well. The cover art for the Japanese version is a plus on its own though.
Wait, the "metal case" just contains all the normal stuff and isn't a Steelbook? Damn.
Nice to know that the artbook is still physical at least...

Persona7

Banned
Orayn said:
I thought Demons Souls had an easy to replicate duping glitch in the game?

No need to download a save when you can just do it yourself.

johntown

Banned
Persona7 said:
I thought Demons Souls had an easy to replicate duping glitch in the game?

No need to download a save when you can just do it yourself.
Yes it did......you can dupe any items that can be dropped and even some that cannot be dropped.

I guess someone could use a save to get a really good character but this is the first I have ever heard of anyone doing that.

F#A#Oo

Banned
My amazon.co.uk order has been upgraded to Limited Edition...have they gotten rid of the standard edition?

EDIT: Yeah...there is no standard edition...

Orayn

F#A#Oo said:
My amazon.co.uk order has been upgraded to Limited Edition...have they gotten rid of the standard edition?

EDIT: Yeah...there is no standard edition...
Well, everyone's getting a standard edition in their special metal or cardboard box, so the purists will be happy.

ironcreed

Banned
MMaRsu said:

This is kind of what I was expecting, to be honest. I knew it would not be Elder Scrolls open, but would simply feature more open areas, with varied paths that open up short cuts and contain traps, etc. Given the structure of the game, I really would not have it any other way.

Respawn

Banned
awwyeahgurrl said:
Asked before but I'm pretty sure no one gave an answer. Can you properly co-op in this or is it like demons souls where one player has to be in soul form?
?. There was nothing wrong with the way co-op was implemented. Demon Souls wasn't that type of game and hopefully this doesn't change that formula.

Orayn

Respawn said:
?. There was nothing wrong with the way co-op was implemented. Demon Souls wasn't that type of game and hopefully this doesn't change that formula.
People still want it to be a dark fantasy version of PSO or Monster Hunter. :p
Cmagus said:
Is the strategy guide that comes with it full? or is it one of those first area walkthrough things
If I recall, it was upgraded from partial to full when they made it into a digital guide rather than a paper one.

Cmagus said:
Is the strategy guide that comes with it full? or is it one of those first area walkthrough things
I don't know but I'm also pretty curious about this. "Mini-strategy guide" sounds like PR speak for "unfinished strategy guide" to me.

Yoshichan

Cmagus said:
Now that it's digital, I'm sure it's a whole walkthrough.

johntown

Banned
Respawn said:
But there is no Soul form in this game so I assume you should be able to co-op as long as you have not beat the level/area and the person is within your soul range. If there are any other restrictions we will see once it is released.

Orayn

johntown said:
But there is no Soul form in this game so I assume you should be able to co-op as long as you have not beat the level/area and the person is within your soul range. If there are any other restrictions we will see once it is released.
Dying puts you into the "hollowed" state, which presumably affects your stats and ability to progress through the storyline, as well as your eligibility for multiplayer. It may look different, but it is soul form for all intents and purposes.

johntown

Banned
Orayn said:
Dying puts you into the "hollowed" state, which presumably affects your stats and ability to progress through the storyline, as well as your eligibility for multiplayer. It may look different, but it is soul form for all intents and purposes.
I did not know that affected your ability to play multiplayer.......do you have a link by chance?

Zeal

Banned
can't believe some retailers in japan has already broken street date and people are playin' this. grrrrr.

oh well, i'll have it friday.

ironcreed

Banned
Zeal said:
can't believe some retailers in japan has already broken street date and people are playin' this. grrrrr.

oh well, i'll have it friday.

Man, time to avoid Youtube... but my will is weak, lol. I must resist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom