• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zeth said:
Armor upgrading = epic.

Has me raving...

I really hope there is a huge amount of loot/items in this game. God damn!

teh_J0kerer said:
Indigo, you ever get a final confirmation about the servers? I can't believe the game comes out tomorrow here, and I still don't know if I'm buying it :/.

Still waiting for a second tweet back from Filthierich, I'll let you know ASAP. Hopefully in the next hour.

vilmer_

Oichi said:
Apparently FromSoftware is sending out super powerful characters into the games of people who got the game before street date to take care of them lol

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/4933477.html

109fa6b3.jpg

Entry in the book of the guilty lol

FromSoftware rocks lol

This is absolutely brilliant lol.

ironcreed

Banned
Oichi said:
Apparently FromSoftware is sending out super powerful characters into the games of people who got the game before street date to take care of them lol

109fa6b3.jpg

FromSoftware rocks lol

LOL! That is both hilarious and brutally fitting. The Book of the Guilty is yet one more aspect that is going to put this game on a completely different level than Demon's Souls. As great as Demon's Souls was, From has seemingly raised the bar yet again.

ironcreed said:
LOL! That is both hilarious and brutally fitting. The Book of the Guilty is yet one more aspect that is going to put this game on a completely different level than Demon's Souls. As great as Demon's Souls was, From has seemingly raised the bar yet again.
We will see. I don't know if anything can top when I went into demons souls the first time and beat the phalynx king after dieing 15 times. The horror around every corner throughout bolatarian palace was awesome.

TheExecutive said:
We will see. I don't know if anything can top when I went into demons souls the first time and beat the phalynx king after dieing 15 times. The horror around every corner throughout bolataria palace was awesome.

Just wait...that's nothing compared to what's around the corner in the first level of Dark Souls!

ironcreed

Banned
TheExecutive said:
We will see. I don't know if anything can top when I went into demons souls the first time and beat the phalynx king after dieing 15 times. The horror around every corner throughout bolataria palace was awesome.

Indeed it was. However, judging from what I saw earlier on a couple of streams, this game takes that experience up another level with more branching and varied paths, more aggressive enemies, better gear, slicker visuals, more open areas and even more of a melancholic, doom and gloom atmosphere than before. Not to mention more of a true spiritual successor to King's Field vibe going on at times as well.

As much as I love Demon's Souls (and always will), I simply think I am going to love this one even more based on what I have seen. It looks bigger and better and downright more sinister in every way. Opinions will vary, of course.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Just wait...that's nothing compared to what's around the corner in the first level of Dark Souls!
As I did demons souls I am going into this game completely blind. From the sounds of the changes they have made this game just may be my GOTG for me.

The only thing I am worried about is the pacing, atmosphere, upgrades, and checkpoints in this one. I don't really think From and do any better.

One of my favorite things about demons souls is that the game was so hard that there was always something to work for, to give you that edge you needed, I hope that remains in this game and I hope they haven't changes much with the soul system and the upgrade system.

ironcreed said:
Indeed it was. However, judging from what I saw earlier on a couple of streams, this game takes that experience up another level with more branching and varied paths, more aggressive enemies, better gear, slicker visuals, more open areas and even more of a melancholic, doom and gloom atmosphere than before. Not to mention more of a true spiritual successor to King's Field vibe going on at times as well.

As much as I love Demon's Souls (and always will), I simply think I am going to love this one even more based on what I have seen. It looks bigger and better and downright more sinister in every way. Opinions will vary, of course.
Bah! I don't need anymore hype. It's great to hear but I Must remain strong and endure the wait! I must be unspoiled for this game.

Soma

I wish I had more resources so I can make a avatar set for you guys to use. All I have right now is a set of Demon's Souls boss avatars that I haven't really used:

lVfgl.png
T5in0.png
vTxhP.png
Wja9r.png

8I9Jo.png
JzAKe.png
pW9cG.png

G6R0l.png
lFE4o.png
emkTU.png

0P5Rl.png
SaSF4.png
PzcK1.png
lZysT.png

Bc4vT.png
dxlJV.png
e9Bbq.png
0tUxm.png

so yeah i dunno i guess whomever wants to can use them till I have better images to use for a Dark Souls avatar set or someone else has made a better set. Sorry I don't have anything from Dark Souls yet :/

moonspeak said:
I wish I had more resources so I can make a avatar set for you guys to use. All I have right now is a set of Demon's Souls boss avatars that I haven't really used:

so yeah i dunno i guess whomever wants to can use them till I have better images to use for a Dark Souls avatar set or someone else has made a better set. Sorry I don't have anything from Dark Souls yet :/
Images are in the wrong resolution :/

The pic for upgrading armor and From's uber character are awesome =D

Indigo, do you know when the wikidot for Dark Souls is going to go up? I loved the one you did for Demon's Souls! It's my favorite place to go for DS info!

slewis7

ReturnOfTheRAT said:
Just ordered the hardcover guide. It might be the best guide ever, but I'll still die over and over again.

I hardly ever order guides given the resources on the internet, but for Dark Souls I will make an exception. Hopefully, they will include lots of artwork. Amazon has the preorder listed for $24.99.

Demon's Souls is my all time favorite video game. I am hoping it gets replaced by Dark Souls. I haven't touched a console game since I got my iPad 2, but DS will bring me back into the fold! Shivering in anticipation...

Oichi said:

109fa6b3.jpg

FromSoftware rocks lol

It is almost redundant at this point, but FROM really gets it.
One really cool idea after another. Truly special folks.
It has been a while since I wanted to see a developer succeed with such passion.

The Lamp

moonspeak said:

0tUxm.png

Nabbed one, thanks.

geebee

Banned
I think those are just debug character listings created during development that have not been cleared out since the game has not officially released yet. The Book of the Guilty is a type of leaderboard, so Id expect it will be reset once the game releases... Unless that blog was written by a From Software employee lol.

Orayn

nib95 said:
As someone who's never played one of these games, what am I supposed to be taking away from the screen above?
Those are the stats of a ridiculously powerful character created by the developers. They're currently running amok online, ganking anyone who's connected and thus breaking the street date. :)

geebee said:
I think those are just debug character listings created during development that have not been cleared out since the game has not officially released yet. The Book of the Guilty is a type of leaderboard, so Id expect it will be reset once the game releases... Unless that blog was written by a From Software employee lol.

Game is out tomorrow in Japan, not sure they'd have that stuff lying around in the game. And the Book of the Guilty lists offending players/phantoms; not quite sure how it works totally.

Also, pretty sure the article says they're doing exactly that--going around and killing players who are playing early :)

Simulpost

geebee

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Game is out tomorrow in Japan, not sure they'd have that stuff lying around in the game. And the Book of the Guilty lists offending players/phantoms; not quite sure how it works totally.

Also, pretty sure the article says they're doing exactly that--going around and killing players who are playing early :)

Simulpost
Ah, that is pretty awesome then! During testing, I would see some ridiculously powerful characters listed in the Book. I never imagined that these characters would be put to use in this way so it's pretty amusing to think about. I've been dying to talk about this game.. who's importing the Japanese version?

nib95

Banned
Orayn said:
Those are the stats of a ridiculously powerful character created by the developers. They're currently running amok online, ganking anyone who's connected and thus breaking the street date. :)

Lol cool.

Eusis

nib95 said:
As someone who's never played one of these games, what am I supposed to be taking away from the screen above?
That's what I was wondering, until I saw how everything was 99, 10/10... made me realize this was basically a maxed out character going on a rampage.

One thing I wish they would implement is a far more subtle way to knowing when you're being invaded.

PvP in DS degraded to the host + blue phantoms just waiting at the exact spot they knew the black would come in, ruining basically the whole premise.

I would love it if instead of "*Psn/gamertag* has invaded!* it just flashed a red/black dot somewhere on the screen or maybe a small sound on cue with the timing of the invasion, so if you REALLY wanted to look out for it, you still could, but if you were playing, it'd be a total surprise to those immersed in the game.

I can only imagine how awesome it would be to be running up a open staircase in Dark Souls only to see a huge thunderbolt/arrows/fire hitting right beneath/below me as I started to run away, or the crazy creative sneaking some of the guys would cook up.

Also I'm done lurking this thread, all the importers are going to start leaking the info soon, so I can't be anywhere near this thread for that.

But thanks for the heads up on the strat guide! I won't be reading it, but definitely buying it for the art/weapon stats when I'm finished

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yeah I guess it's a fair warning that come tomorrow I'm gonna start talking about stuffffffffffffffffffffffff...obviously with spoiler tags but surely any stat/weapon/enemy stuff will be unfiltered.

Haha I thought eff it I wanna see the game in motion for five secs and clicked the above stream..guy dies the second it loads. Dark Souls.

Orayn

sersteven said:
One thing I wish they would implement is a far more subtle way to knowing when you're being invaded.

PvP in DS degraded to the host + blue phantoms just waiting at the exact spot they knew the black would come in, ruining basically the whole premise.

I would love it if instead of "*Psn/gamertag* has invaded!* it just flashed a red/black dot somewhere on the screen or maybe a small sound on cue with the timing of the invasion, so if you REALLY wanted to look out for it, you still could, but if you were playing, it'd be a total surprise to those immersed in the game.

I can only imagine how awesome it would be to be running up a open staircase in Dark Souls only to see a huge thunderbolt/arrows/fire hitting right beneath/below me as I started to run away, or the crazy creative sneaking some of the guys would cook up.

Also I'm done lurking this thread, all the importers are going to start leaking the info soon, so I can't be anywhere near this thread for that.

But thanks for the heads up on the strat guide! I won't be reading it, but definitely buying it for the art/weapon stats when I'm finished
Sneakiness will be a bigger deal this time around because
a new spell lets you turn yourself into a clutter object like a broom or vase, for purposes of either evading an enemy or ambushing your target.

Orayn said:
Sneakiness will be a bigger deal this time around because
a new spell lets you turn yourself into a clutter object like a broom or vase, for purposes of either evading an enemy or ambushing your target.

Yeah I heard about that. Regardless, knowing that, when I see the "Invading!" sign pop up, of course I'm going to be twice as wary as usual, as I'm not the type who could shrug that kind of thing off in a game like this.

Maybe I'm a bit to sadistic but I just always thought invading was more of a assassination attempt, and the red stone in Demon's was for duels.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
The invading warning brought dread/excitement to be regardless. I'd be much more angry if I was fighting some skeletons and got ganked in the back by a black phantom. Finishing off what you were doing and then thinking what to do next..do I run back..run forward..hide..turn off my PS3..was a lot of fun. Especially on big levels.

web01

LOL guy in the stream failed big time to kill the
crystal lizard esque enemy.

edit: ouch then he got 1 hit killed in by the
red dragon.

moonspeak said:
Wja9r.png
These are nice. Ill take this one. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom