• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
johntown said:
All dual systems games there is always one system that looks slightly better (but barely noticeable). Of course the lead development platform is going to be the superior version but the differences between the two will be negligible.
Hopefully, yes. These 40 second loading times can't be accurate.

Urban Scholar said:
The boss still cutting him like a hot knife through butter though : (

Ah, did not know he was fighting a boss. So he made progress! In that case when bosses can pretty much 2 strike you, removing armour isn't a bad idea at all!

Zeth

WHAT? X-large X-baseball is actually done by or supported by "streetwear"/"urban apparel" company X-Large. That's crazy.

Zeliard

Foffy said:
No, all classes can. But..
any person who isn't host to an online game CANNOT heal. This includes helpers and invaders. The only way a helper can be healed is if the host heals himself/herself.

So good. PVP is gonna be so much better.

They're doing some slick re-balancing of certain things. Really nice to see.

teh_J0kerer said:
Anyone know yet what determines rolling speed? There were weird reports earlier than even when naked the knight has a slowish roll?

It's weight which is based on your guy's strength. If I remember right.

johntown

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
It's weight which is based on your guy's strength. If I remember right.
Are you sure on that? I saw the sorcerer rolling really fast in on the GC demo area and I doubt he had really high strength.

johntown said:
Are you sure on that? I saw the sorcerer rolling really fast in on the GC demo area and I doubt he had really high strength.

The demos are pre builds let's not forget that. Any character can wear or yield anything provided you put enough into that parameter. Again, I forget since it's being a while with my last play of Demons' Souls

Orayn

teh_J0kerer said:
Anyone know yet what determines rolling speed? There were weird reports earlier than even when naked the knight has a slowish roll?
It's a composite stat called Poise, determined by both stats and equipped(/carried?) weight. On the plus side, heavy armor has the added benefit of making you flinch less often when you get hit.

johntown

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
The demos are pre builds let's not forget that. Any character can wear or yield anything provided you put enough into that parameter. Again, I forget since it's being a while with my last play of Demons' Souls
I know in DS no matter what your class was if you did not wear armor you could roll quickly. I am pretty sure the equip burden was related to your Stamina (Endurance). The higher your endurance the better you were able to roll with armor etc.

Orayn

darkjedi187 said:
The crashing reports are a bit scary. As for the loading time I would assume the PS3 should be ok (isn't it the lead system?)
Yeah, load time was fine on the stream I watched last night - Maybe 15 seconds.

teh_J0kerer said:

I think they said there were 4 rolling speeds, and I would guess it's determined by a combination of equip weight/ max equip weight and strength/dex stats. So like this:

1 (fastest)- Higher dex then strength, < 50% max equip weight
2-Higher strength then Dex, < 50% max equip weight
3- Higher dex then strength, > 50% max equip weight
4 (slowest)- Higher strength then Dex, > 50% max equip weight

8I9Jo.png

Mine!!

Zeliard

^ I can't say I've ever really been arachnophobic but that thing is just fucked up looking.

Can't wait to see it in motion.

kyubajin

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Just how hyped are these streams making folks :)?
I've rafrained myself from watching any of tge boss fights save the 1st one and boy is it killing me. I watch a tiny bit of the sewers section and it looked scary as shit.

Facism

YES HE TOOK THE KNIGHT DOWN. HE USED HIS SHIELD.

Everyone in the chat started cheering and congratulating the guy :D Real hype.

Orayn

weekend_warrior said:
I think they said there were 4 rolling speeds, and I would guess it's determined by a combination of equip weight/ max equip weight and strength/dex stats. So like this:

1 (fastest)- Higher dex then strength, < 50% max equip weight
2-Higher strength then Dex, < 50% max equip weight
3- Higher dex then strength, > 50% max equip weight
4 (slowest)- Higher strength then Dex, > 50% max equip weight
Whoa, so Poise represents your character's physique in addition to their encumberment from armor? That's really cool. Are you sure it's just based on which of STR or DEX is higher, or does it take into account the difference between the two?

kyubajin

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I've rafrained myself from watching any of tge boss fights save the 1st one and boy is it killing me. I watch a tiny bit of the sewers section and it looked scary as shit.

Poise is an interesting way to calculate things like rolling speed, if that's how it works out. Seems like the focus is much more on specifics when leveling and the interaction between stats.

Orayn said:
Whoa, so Poise represents your character's physique in addition to their encumberment from armor? That's really cool. Are you sure it's just based on which of STR or DEX is higher, or does it take into account the difference between the two?

I don't have any inside information, just taking a stab in the dark. It might be which is higher, it might be that Dex needs to be a certain % higher then Strength, it might be something different altogether. But I'm sure it's not based on what class you picked. Some people seem to be worried that if they pick knight they'll be stuck with slow roll speed the whole game, when it's far more likely the slow roll is based on the knight high STR low DEX starting stats.

I won't have a clue what is what when I first start playing my Japanese copy. I'll just pick up new weapons and spells and try them out.

I suppose I'll find some translation for the character stats screen though.

I watched small sections of the stream. Thank goodness for my slow connection out here or else I would have tried to watch it all. Damn my self control!

I'm resisting the urge to watch the streams right now but I'd really like to see From's high-level character invade fuck things up. Actually, does this mean that the level range limits for multiplayer are gone now?
Zeliard said:
^ I can't say I've ever really been arachnophobic but that thing is just fucked up looking.

Can't wait to see it in motion.
Isn't that Armor Spider?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

I'm not watching them... I believe it's the #1 way to ruin a game for yourself. You can only experience something for the first time just the one time...

Years of gaming and film watching have taught me that media blackout really is the way to go. For maximum enjoyment, anyway.

Raide

Had my first Dark Souls dream last night, and I have not even played it yet.

I was at E3 and From Software got onto the stage, dressed as soldiers, and they announced that DICE was helping them make Dark Souls. I then see a screen of 32v32 Dark Souls battles with exploding scenery...

The_Monk

Raide said:

I was at E3 and From Software got onto the stage, dressed as soldiers, and they announced that DICE was helping them make Dark Souls. I then see a screen of 32v32 Dark Souls battles with exploding scenery...

What?

If you go with 32v32 why not... ONE MILLION TROOPS!

Santiako

The only thing I don't like of what I've seen so far it's the character's voice. He sounds like he's cumming every time he is hurt. Hopefuly there are more voices to chose from.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Santiako said:
The only thing I don't like of what I've seen so far it's the character's voice. He sounds like he's cumming every time he is hurt. Hopefuly there are more voices to chose from.
oooo

Soma

HamPster PamPster said:
So.... is it too early to ask when the fan art thread is going up :p

Demons Souls had one
but there's no more Maiden In Black and I'm sure she's responsible for at least 75% of that fan art.

I'll miss touching the demon inside her if you know what I mean.
2w7jpxi.gif

Zeliard

electroshockwave said:
I'm resisting the urge to watch the streams right now but I'd really like to see From's high-level character invade fuck things up. Actually, does this mean that the level range limits for multiplayer are gone now?

Isn't that Armor Spider?

Haha, I guess it is. Thought it looked like a new spider design for a different enemy in Dark Souls.

Yoshichan

moonspeak said:
but there's no more Maiden In Black and I'm sure she's responsible for at least 75% of that fan art.

I'll miss touching the demon inside her if you know what I mean.
I'll never stop touching the demo inside her. Never, ever going to stop playing DS.

vocab

Raide said:

Dice can't even make a good battlefield game. Fuck that

so that it may be mended!
I wish I could play this enough when it comes out but last sem of grad school is gonna keep me too busy. It'll get to sit there....tempting me..

Unconditional said:
so that it may be mended!
I wish I could play this enough when it comes out but last sem of grad school is gonna keep me too busy. It'll get to sit there....tempting me..

I know the feeling!

I sacrificed sleep and seeing people the summer I was writing Master's paper / studying for the CPA exam to spend an hour or so a night to play TF2 :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom