• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

It sounds like you were tanking, not sure if you thought of this but wooden shields are highly resistant to lightning and the Eagle Shield is a good one for tanking that fight, it's the lightest greatshield and wooden. Too late now, but worth thinking on if you face any more lightning attack enemies!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It sounds like you were tanking, not sure if you thought of this but wooden shields are highly resistant to lightning and the Eagle Shield is a good one for tanking that fight, it's the lightest greatshield and wooden. Too late now, but worth thinking on if you face any more lightning attack enemies!

Oh no, I had to be quick as balls, few swipes could kill me easily, had to rely more on the good old dodgeroll than the shield. Lot's of two-handing and jump attacks to do actual damage. Especially for Buff Smough.

I'm sure I could do better now though, the mental block of "I can't beat O&S" is gone now. Gonna be interesting whenever I start a fresh save to see how that goes.

Oh no, I had to be quick as balls, few swipes could kill me easily, had to rely more on the good old dodgeroll than the shield. Lot's of two-handing and jump attacks to do actual damage. Especially for Buff Smough.

I'm sure I could do better now though, the mental block of "I can't beat O&S" is gone now. Gonna be interesting whenever I start a fresh save to see how that goes.
Right, right! I saw Black Iron set and assumed you were going full on tank.

Dodge/roll is definately the way to go for me too!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Right, right! I saw Black Iron set and assumed you were going full on tank.

Dodge/roll is definately the way to go for me too!

Oh, nah I just put on the chest piece, rest was Elite Set so I still had medium roll. Going full tank was my next option though, boss was driving me mad :lol. Now I'm finally getting to explore new areas and the game feels incredibly fresh.

I've also neglected upgrading armour, but I found out the dude near Sen's sells big shards, so I'm gonna get some of those and put a couple ponts into my armour

This is actually going to be my first full playthrough (started a couple of years ago but didn't finish because the PC version ran like shit on my crappy computer at the time, played DS3 so not going in totally blind). I might regret getting the better textures mod because there's a little bit of choppiness there that isn't in DS3. I'm playing as a mage. Got any tips?

Hobobloke

It's amazing when you start a fresh save or ng+ for the first time and realise how much better you've gotten at the game as you breeze through enemies and areas that might have given you so much trouble on your first run, feels very rewarding.

Well done man, always such a good feeling beating a boss like O&S the first time, props for sticking it out solo too.

This is actually going to be my first full playthrough (started a couple of years ago but didn't finish because the PC version ran like shit on my crappy computer at the time, played DS3 so not going in totally blind). I might regret getting the better textures mod because there's a little bit of choppiness there that isn't in DS3. I'm playing as a mage. Got any tips?
Don't bother putting anything in VIT. Pump INT like there's no tomorrow. In Firelink Shrine, if you venture below past thr Fire Keeper and down the elevator, you can find a merchant of extra Soul Arrows, you need them.

You should look into getting the Pyromancy spells to fully transform into a magical badass.

Also, you should get a shield, probably the Grass Crest Shield for the sweet stamina regen, also so you can cast Great Magic Shield on it so you can withstand the strongest attacks with ease.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It's amazing when you start a fresh save or ng+ for the first time and realise how much better you've gotten at the game as you breeze through enemies and areas that might have given you so much trouble on your first run, feels very rewarding.

Well done man, always such a good feeling beating a boss like O&S the first time, props for sticking it out solo too.

I semi had this. I originally got stuck at Biggie Smalls, then 2 came out, beat two, started 1 again sometime later and everything up to that point was a breeze and I felt awesome for it, even managed Iron Golem, which I had issues with before lol.

Then I got to Ornstein and Smough again, Scholar of the First Sin came out, started playing that instead for a while, other games came out and suddenly Dark Souls 3 came out :lol. I've owned 1 since it came out on PC, good god, it's going to be so good to finally beat it.

Then beat 3.. and finally beat all the DLCs in 2, I need my revenge on Fume

Anyone in the EU timezone who would like to play some co-op start a new char just pm me or leave your steam id would love to with some gaffers if they want to :)
pc version btw.

Quite gorgeous Dark Souls Tarot Card designs (characters from the whole series):

tumblr_ol6n8gIiw91qcwu3do1_500.jpg
tumblr_ojuhcaTgRx1qcwu3do1_500.jpg

tumblr_oa6pt7Nlth1qcwu3do1_500.jpg
tumblr_oahwf82RWN1qcwu3do1_500.jpg

Jombie

Go glass cannon or go home.

I just killed paladin Leeroy in the Tomb of Giants to get Grant and Sanctus, the last two items I needed for my platinum trophy. Right after I killed him, a skeleton came from behind my screen and one-shot me before I could pick up the items. Is there a way to retrieve them or do I have to go through the whole game again to get them?

I'm guessing they're gone. I'm beyond pissed right now. I feel like I was completely robbed by contrivances in the game design.

I just killed paladin Leeroy in the Tomb of Giants to get Grant and Sanctus, the last two items I needed for my platinum trophy. Right after I killed him, a skeleton came from behind my screen and one-shot me before I could pick up the items. Is there a way to retrieve them or do I have to go through the whole game again to get them?

I'm guessing they're gone. I'm beyond pissed right now. I feel like I was completely robbed by contrivances in the game design.

I am dont think those items will appear again since it dropped and you died afterwards

NPC drops are still there after reloads, but with it being an invader I don't think they will still be there. Bit of a bummer but it's such a quick run through to the Lord Vessel on NG+ it shouldn't take too long.

NPC drops are still there after reloads, but with it being an invader I don't think they will still be there. Bit of a bummer but it's such a quick run through to the Lord Vessel on NG+ it shouldn't take too long.

It will be on NG+++ now unfortunately, but I guess I can just beat it again. Still salty about the way it happened though.

Last night I told myself I'd finally beat O&S on NG+ for the first time. Cut to several hours later and all I have left to kill is Gwyn. He is absolutely wrecking me. I'm trying to just kill him via parrying and the hornet ring but the timings seem really tight. First Souls game I've played in NG+, so far the only fight that gave me trouble before Gwyn was the Four Kings (more like the Six Kings).

Did you follow Solaire's questline?
You can summon him for Gwynn if you did.

Lol no. I gotta do this solo! Although the Demon Great Machete is big enough it might as well be an NPC.

I actually neglected to do the DLC, so I might have to go show Manus and Artorias what's what before Gwyn gets his spanking. I don't know why I didn't do NG+ sooner (I got this game in 2012!), it makes dodging so much more intense when you're two hits from death all the time.

Also shout out to Bloodborne for teach me how to play Souls without hiding behind a big greatshield.

I did it! I beat a Souls game in NG+! Gwyn got a big demon machete slap to the face. Now I just gotta beat NG+ on Demon's Souls, DS2, DS3, and Bloodborne!

hjG4LyU.jpg

Oh and earlier when I said I didn't do the DLC i just meant in NG+, I've played it before and I can agree that Manus and Artorias are great boss fights.

Now I'm gonna go kill some NG+2 gargoyles.

edit: Black Knight Greataxe R1 is savage.

So now lobos is doing a "equip everything you see" run using the mod, and on top of that the modder has added the calamity ring effect from the beginning, hid the estus flask AND on top of all that actually modded in customized scripted events at the beginning to establish lore for all this.

It's pretty insane and awesome.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/131577538

So now lobos is doing a "equip everything you see" run using the mod, and on top of that the modder has added the calamity ring effect from the beginning, hid the estus flask AND on top of all that actually modded in customized scripted events at the beginning to establish lore for all this.

I caught a bit of it earlier, when he first tried the skip into Sen's Fortress and then when he was exploring upper Blighttown. Getting stuck with the Avelyn was quite brutal, and the firekeeper soul event was pretty interesting.

Goldboy

This is pretty cool. I think I'll watch this while I wait for the new DS3 DLC to drop.

strafer

Well, there you go, my very first Platinum.

I'm very happy that my first was Dark Souls, one of the hardest and most rewarding games I have ever played, initially the games difficulty really put me off, I couldn't even get past the Asylum Demon.

It's now one of my favorite games of all time.

teQtaTR.jpg

Fuck Bed of Chaos. One of the worst bosses in a Souls game.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I went through the game after playing DS2, Bloodborne and DS3, which was the worst decision I ever made in relation to gaming, as a lot of features in DS2 and DS3 that you take for granted aren't available until later in DS1 or just not there at all.

By far the hardest of the 3 Dark Souls, but IMO only because everything feels like it was designed 15 years ago with worse hitboxes and more "bullshit" level design.

Still finished it, including the DLC.

I mostly did it just to be able to say I went through all the Dark Souls.

I should tackle Demon's Souls at some point, hoping there's a PS4 remaster.

I went through the game after playing DS2, Bloodborne and DS3, which was the worst decision I ever made in relation to gaming, as a lot of features in DS2 and DS3 that you take for granted aren't available until later in DS1 or just not there at all.

By far the hardest of the 3 Dark Souls, but IMO only because everything feels like it was designed 15 years ago with worse hitboxes and more "bullshit" level design.

Still finished it, including the DLC.

I mostly did it just to be able to say I went through all the Dark Souls.

I should tackle Demon's Souls at some point, hoping there's a PS4 remaster.

I'm triggered, but respect your opinion.

I feel like DS2 had way more bullshit design in terms of areas where you would always die the first time through because the game threw things that you couldn't avoid if you didn't know they were there.

Jombie

Dark Souls is a top-five game for me, but it's the hardest to come back and play after the others. Not having omni-directional rolling is brutal, and I really don't care for the 'lord soul' areas at all.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Dark Souls has the best level design in the series, what did you find "bullshit" about it?

It's pretty varied and each area feels unique, but I felt there was too much stuff there just so the game could point and laugh at you for dying because you messed up your jump or went somewhere you weren't supposed to.

And Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith is just downright terrible.

It's pretty varied and each area feels unique, but I felt there was too much stuff there just so the game could point and laugh at you for dying because you messed up your jump or went somewhere you weren't supposed to.

And Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith is just downright terrible.

Going places you aren't meant to go is great though! There are so many places to go right from Firelink:

- Through the Undead Parish, which can lead you back to the Undead Asylum.
- Into the graveyard, the Catacombs, and even Tomb of the Giants if you're brave enough.
- Down to New Londo Ruins, which you can explore thanks to the two Transient Curses that drop just before you enter.
- If you have the Mystery Key you can even go straight to Blighttown and then onto Demon Ruins before you've even seen the Undead Parish.

None of the other games in the series (apart from Demon's Souls) offer this kind of freedom right off the bat and that's what makes it so good and so replayable years later.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Going places you aren't meant to go is great though! There are so many places to go right from Firelink:

- Through the Undead Parish, which can lead you back to the Undead Asylum.
- Into the graveyard, the Catacombs, and even Tomb of the Giants if you're brave enough.
- Down to New Londo Ruins, which you can explore thanks to the two Transient Curses that drop just before you enter.
- If you have the Mystery Key you can even go straight to Blighttown and then onto Demon Ruins before you've even seen the Undead Parish.

None of the other games in the series (apart from Demon's Souls) offer this kind of freedom right off the bat and that's what makes it so good and so replayable years later.

Oh no no no no, I didn't mean places as in other zones, that's great!

I meant stuff like: "Oh you thought you could jump there but nooooo it doesn't lead anywhere or is a pit" haha!

Oh no no no no, I didn't mean places as in other zones, that's great!

I meant stuff like: "Oh you thought you could jump there but nooooo it doesn't lead anywhere or is a pit" haha!

That's what prism stones are for!

When you say "lord soul areas", do you mean Duke Archives and New Londo as well?

Because I will agree that Lost Izalith and Demon Ruins are weak.

entremet

New Londo is pretty great. I enjoyed Duke Archives although the stair gimmick got annoying.

Crystal Caves is interesting but rather short. Lost Izalith and Demon Ruins felt very unfinished.

Top Bottom