• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I am thinking about playing this again. I actually never played any DLC as far as I can tell and missed some optional areas so there is a lot of stuff I can experience for the first time.

Stevey

I am thinking about playing this again. I actually never played any DLC as far as I can tell and missed some optional areas so there is a lot of stuff I can experience for the first time.

Do it, it's my favorite in the series by a long way.
The atmosphere and level design is unmatched.

Kopite

Do it, it's my favorite in the series by a long way.
The atmosphere and level design is unmatched.
I missed it in my first playthrough, thinking of going back and doing a fresh one just for the DLC. I wanna try the pyromancer class as I've only ever played Souls with a shield build, I feel like a non shield build would be super risky and hard lol, any tips? Can you still block/parry/riposte? Do you still need to use a melee weapon?

Kinsei

Banned
I missed it in my first playthrough, thinking of going back and doing a fresh one just for the DLC. I wanna try the pyromancer class as I've only ever played Souls with a shield build, I feel like a non shield build would be super risky and hard lol, any tips? Can you still block/parry/riposte? Do you still need to use a melee weapon?

Pyromancer starts with a shield. You still need a melee weapon at least early on. Your starting spells are so limited that you wouldn't even make it through Undead Burg if you relied solely on them.

You can still parry barehand or with a parrying dagger. Pyro run in DS1 can be very OP even early on. All the spell-enhancing gear works with pyro spells (Dusk Crown, Bellowing Ring), Power Within rips through bosses.

No melee is also totally viable and lots of fun in DS1. No shield builds are fun and make you a better player imo because you have to rely on spacing and dodging rather than the crutch of a shield, give it a go!

Being able to fast roll well helps a lot. Definitely use a light melee weapon, and upgrade it along fire or lightning path. Leveling your pyromancy is more valuable than soul level, and it's fucking expensive. So save your souls. Anything extra you have, I'd put into Vitality and Attunement. I'd use the wiki to make sure you find the right NPCs. Join the chaos covenant and give the witch 30 humanity. I'd go with Ring of Favor and Protection and Wolf ring. As much of black hemmed set as you can while still being able to fast roll.

Those are some tips, but feel free to ignore them and figure it out for yourself!

MilkBeard

I sold my PS3 so I no longer have this game, although the next time it goes on sale, I'll pick it up for Steam so I have all games in my collection. I'm sure in a year or two I will become sad that there are no more Souls games, so I will be looking to replay this one since it's been a few years since I originally played it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Installed again! I am loving being back in this world. First thing I did when I got to Firelink was go pay a little visit to those skeletons who almost made me give up on the game. Got Zweihander while I was at it.

I got right up to Taurus Demon and died. I probably could've killed him but that fat rolling is so bad. Might just run through naked until I can get my stats up lol. I am focusing on vit/end/strength. I can't remember if Dex is worth upgrading? Anything else? I'm a knight.

Kieli

The lack of summon signs is getting me kinda sad.

But on the other hand, there's a lot of comments. Not sure how long they persist for, but they're nice. I upvote all of them, even the troll ones.

Have you guys seen the latest Lobos Jr run?

it's a Random Item Use What You See run and it is hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7CaQX6W_ls

The rules are:

- game is modded so that every single loot is randomized even key story items which means with good luck you can get full Havel's set in the first 5 minutes of the game
- you have to equip everything you find immediately so with bad luck you are stuck with full Havel's set equipped on you in the first 5 minutes of the game and cannot run/ roll at all because you have 10 VIT and are SL1
- you have to pick up every shiny you see so there is no "cheating" by finding a good random loot like Claymore and sticking with it. You can find a Talisman and are stuck with it with no spells/ miracles until you find a better weapon. Or a Crossbow, ha!

It makes for a tremendous and enjoyable watch. The RNG can fuck you up so you have to reset the run and Lobos had to reset it!

Oh and you have no Estus - no Estus flask at all - and are under the Calamity Ring effect for the whole game but that's not a problem for Lobos at all.

Kopite

I've been watching speedrun Souls videos recently and they're pretty incredible. Tried to emulate some stuff I saw and although I failed a couple of times I eventually got through Sen's in like 10 minutes!

test_account

XP-39C²
Is there any way to repair crystalized weapon? Started playing Dark Souls again, got a very good weapon, but it broke. Tried to do some google search, but couldnt find anything.

Is there any way to repair crystalized weapon? Started playing Dark Souls again, got a very good weapon, but it broke. Tried to do some google search, but couldnt find anything.
Upgrading them repairs them fully, but after they're at +5 that's it - so you get 5 'repairs'. No other way to repair.

I wouldn't really bother with them tbh, unless you're embarassingly flush with chunks and/or slabs and don't have a better use for them (seems unlikely!)

test_account

XP-39C²
Upgrading them repairs them fully, but after they're at +5 that's it - so you get 5 'repairs'. No other way to repair.

I wouldn't really bother with them tbh, unless you're embarassingly flush with chunks and/or slabs and don't have a better use for them (seems unlikely!)
I see, thats a pity.

I recently started a new run. I'm level 35 or something. Bought a crystalized sword from the merchant right before the Blight Town enterenace. That sword does 150 damage, compared to my Longsword +5 that does 120, so it was a pretty good weapon.

Have you guys seen the latest Lobos Jr run?

it's a Random Item Use What You See run and it is hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7CaQX6W_ls

The rules are:

- game is modded so that every single loot is randomized even key story items which means with good luck you can get full Havel's set in the first 5 minutes of the game
- you have to equip everything you find immediately so with bad luck you are stuck with full Havel's set equipped on you in the first 5 minutes of the game and cannot run/ roll at all because you have 10 VIT and are SL1
- you have to pick up every shiny you see so there is no "cheating" by finding a good random loot like Claymore and sticking with it. You can find a Talisman and are stuck with it with no spells/ miracles until you find a better weapon. Or a Crossbow, ha!

It makes for a tremendous and enjoyable watch. The RNG can fuck you up so you have to reset the run and Lobos had to reset it!

Oh and you have no Estus - no Estus flask at all - and are under the Calamity Ring effect for the whole game but that's not a problem for Lobos at all.

Watched all 3 parts of that, some very funny moments. The ending is great .

MilkBeard

Got the game and got it up and running on one of my laptops. First I tried it on my old laptop that theoretically should be able to run it (it runs other games from the same era with varying levels of success) but it is at an unplayable framerate with and without DSfix.

My newer laptop, although it doesn't have a dedicated GPU, is able to run it pretty smoothly for the most part, although the framerate drops when there are graphical effects. This feels playable, so I will go ahead and play this way. I might tweak it with DSfix to see if I can get it running even more smoothly, but we'll see. Right now it's definitely doable with this computer.

Also, the native PS4 controller option in Steam is a boon. I just plug it in and it works, no more having to fiddle with extra software.

Lobos (who separated with Fieldy after all) is doing now a 1 HP 1 Stamina run.

How does it work?

- parrying
- SOUL ARROWS
- bows

Kinda looks easy and... boring? when he does it.

Honestly he should just keep doing variations of the item randomizer mod for a while, that was so good.

Or wait for that kind of mod to appear for DS2/ DS3 but then those games are not as "open world" and you would probably get stuck with shitty RNG far too often and had to reset the run.

I think Dark Souls 1 gives you the opportunity to get up to 7 bosses from the Firelink Shrine in any given order?

- Taurus
- Capra
- Quelaag
- Pinwheel
- Stray Demon (?)
- Gargs
- Butterfly
- Sif

That gives you options when stuck with Talisman or Avelyn hehe... DS2 is more linear thus harder for this mod.

Lobos (who separated with Fieldy after all) is doing now a 1 HP 1 Stamina run.
WTF. I don't want to get off track, but I watch Lobos a lot but really only watch his youtube uploads because it's convenient so I'm always months behind 'real time' but damn that's really disheartening :( - I mean, obviously I don't know either of them, but it's still sad.

WTF. I don't want to get off track, but I watch Lobos a lot but really only watch his youtube uploads because it's convenient so I'm always months behind 'real time' but damn that's really disheartening :( - I mean, obviously I don't know either of them, but it's still sad.

After 7 years no less... shitty situation all around. Hope they move on with their lives.

That's off topic of course.

Or wait for that kind of mod to appear for DS2/ DS3 but then those games are not as "open world" and you would probably get stuck with shitty RNG far too often and had to reset the run.

I think Dark Souls 1 gives you the opportunity to get up to 7 bosses from the Firelink Shrine in any given order?

- Taurus
- Capra
- Quelaag
- Pinwheel
- Stray Demon (?)
- Gargs
- Butterfly
- Sif

That gives you options when stuck with Talisman or Avelyn hehe... DS2 is more linear thus harder for this mod.

Instead of use what you see, make it so that for each area, you can only use the items contained within the area.

Also, I think it would be cool to combine with the Weapon Swap mod. You would still have to equip armor you find, and scavenge around to find key items like Covenant of Artorias, etc.

Instead of use what you see, make it so that for each area, you can only use the items contained within the area.

Also, I think it would be cool to combine with the Weapon Swap mod. You would still have to equip armor you find, and scavenge around to find key items like Covenant of Artorias, etc.
Pretty sure Lobos has done these kind of runs, definately done a 'use what you see' run. I think he's done pretty much every run possible in DS1 at this point. When you've done NG+7 fist only in all these games, what is there left to do?!

Just began my first playthrough of DS1, at Undead Parish. Played BB and DS3 to death.

So far, I like the level design but this combat just feels so slow compared to DS3/BB that I'm finding it hard to adjust.

test_account

XP-39C²
Just began my first playthrough of DS1, at Undead Parish. Played BB and DS3 to death.

So far, I like the level design but this combat just feels so slow compared to DS3/BB that I'm finding it hard to adjust.
I felt the same way (currently playing through DS1 again, trying to get the rest of the trophies). At the begining, i was about to give up, but i sticked with it and managed to adjust :)

I kinda regret not playing more DS1 when the community was more active. Its much harder to find co-op summons now, but i was actually surprised to see how relatively fast i was summoned for the Smough and Ornstein fight, even 6 years after the game was released (playing the PS3 version). Its just a pity that in general, it seems much harder to find co-op summons. Guess it also depends on which level you're on. Now i'm level 62 and today i havnt been summoned once. I need those 4-5 sun medals to get the miracle. I know that they can be farmed offline, but thats kinda boring :)

Pixieking

Banned
Platinumed Bloodborne a few weeks back, so figured I'd get all the Steam achievements for the Dark Souls games, starting with the first.

God, there's some grind-y achievements in this - best weapon for all the different versions (Crystal, Raw, etc) of weapons? Booooooooring.

Also, I hate Blighttown. On PC, the frame-rate is lovely, but I can't see a bloody thing... My eyes hurt from squinting through darkness, even with max brightness on my laptop.

Curses can go to hell, as well... Got cursed in Hollow Tree area, but I don't have the Lordvessel yet, so I had to climb all the way up-and-out, hustle through the depths to buy some purging stones.

Oh, and Capra Demon? Hah! Level 120 on NG+, and the camera got stuck and I got killed. Twice. Couldn't get to my bloodstain, so lost 50k souls (half a level's worth). :'(

It's an enjoyable game, but I really wish they'd go back to it and patch it, if just for the camera and so it would mean DSFix isn't needed anymore.

Van Bur3n

I complete a playthrough recently where I started my first ever INT build in all of Souls. I usually scoff at the idea of magic (I ain't into that boring ranged shiiiieeet), but I could go for some different builds these days.

Going back to play the first DS after a long while, while tackling a play style I've little experience with and the struggle was real. The game this time around was especially brutal to me and my pitiful Houdini casting self. And goodness gracious, the DLC. Where every single boss resist FUCKING magic. I had to poke them all to death with the moonlight butterfly horn for little damage.

I eventually started to annihilate everything once I got my hands on the dark bead shotgun and crystal magic, but it was quite late in the game to utilize long enough.

Might do a NG+ run now that I have all of the good stuff, but I need a break from Souls. When I feel like playing again however I'll probably be going through the rest of the games with INT builds as well, so who knows.

Jombie

This game is always the hardest for me to re-adjust to. Rolling is clunky as fuck if you're accustomed to the movement in ds3/BB; don't see how I ever locked on.

I felt the same way (currently playing through DS1 again, trying to get the rest of the trophies). At the begining, i was about to give up, but i sticked with it and managed to adjust :)

I kinda regret not playing more DS1 when the community was more active. Its much harder to find co-op summons now, but i was actually surprised to see how relatively fast i was summoned for the Smough and Ornstein fight, even 6 years after the game was released (playing the PS3 version). Its just a pity that in general, it seems much harder to find co-op summons. Guess it also depends on which level you're on. Now i'm level 62 and today i havnt been summoned once. I need those 4-5 sun medals to get the miracle. I know that they can be farmed offline, but thats kinda boring :)

I feel like something just isn't clicking for me - I love the world design but the actual act of combat just doesn't feel... fun? to me. It's not the difficulty, I just kind of feel a lack of options in terms of mobility and redundancy in the amount of attack animations. I don't feel an urgency to open the game back up and run through it like I did with BB and to a lesser extent DS3, which is a shame because everyone else is singing this game's praises.

I feel like something just isn't clicking for me - I love the world design but the actual act of combat just doesn't feel... fun? to me. It's not the difficulty, I just kind of feel a lack of options in terms of mobility and redundancy in the amount of attack animations. I don't feel an urgency to open the game back up and run through it like I did with BB and to a lesser extent DS3, which is a shame because everyone else is singing this game's praises.

What weapon/armor are you using?

test_account

XP-39C²
I got the platinum trophy now :) About 65 hours of gameplay on a new character (i did play more than this though. I fucked up a run at the end for example, not knowing that i needed The Soul of Smough. Instead of playing to NG+++, i rather just downloaded the old save from the cloud, and that cost me about 5 hours of gameplay). I already had a level 88 pyromancer from when i played the game back in 2011, but i wanted to start from scratch and focus on melee instead this time.

At first (as mentioned above), i had some problem adjusting to the controls. It felt like the enemies had homing attacks that always hit me. But after playing for a while, i managed to adjust fine.

I'm glad that they got rid of the warping limitations in later Souls games. I dont really understand why you're limited to a selected bonfires that you can warp to in Dark Souls 1. Sometimes this just resulted in me having to run longer distances. I also like that the changed the ability to move when using Estus. In DS1, you cant move when using it.

Otherwise, still a great game after all these years. Never thought i get around to get the platinum trophy. This is one of the very few longer games that i've left and come back at a later time to replay.

EDIT: Oh, and since i replayed it again, i got around to check out the DLC for the first time. I bought the DLC back in the days when it came out, but i never got around to play it before now recently.

I started with a short sword, or straight sword. Later on, i moved over the the Black Knight halberd. Found that weapon to be fun to use. Its also very powerful.

I'm glad that they got rid of the warping limitations in later Souls games. I dont really understand why you're limited to a selected bonfires that you can warp to in Dark Souls 1.
There used to be even less, they added a few more warp points with a patch later on (I think when the DLC came out iirc).

Davey Cakes

The combat always looked slow and clunky to me when I watched my friends play. It even felt like it when I started a new game for myself. I wanted to give it a fair shake though.

Something just "clicked" once I got the battle axe and slid into the melee-fighter mold. At first battles were really arduous. It felt like an achievement just taking out the skeletons in the graveyard, even with something strong like the mace. Leveling up, learning better strategies, and finding weapons that I enjoyed using really lent to the feeling of progression.

The fighting was repetitive at points but it did feel good eventually. I was in heaven once I started slamming down foes with the Zweihander. I completely appreciated the weighty feel and recognized that it was just something new to me that required adjustment.

I'm curious as to how things will feel once I move into DS2.

So, just got a new gamepad and now I'm willing to start again. I think I got as far as
Sen's Fortress and the Lothric prince guy killed the fire witch woman right under the Firelink Shrine -funnily enough I didn't realize there were any stairs that led down or to New Londo until I saw them on the internet- but I don't think I fixed that.

Any tips, especially on what I should keep an eye out with regards to picking up facts about lore/story? I'm pretty bad at noticing environmental storytelling lol. I think I'm going to focus on Dex and use a Scimitar again lol. No master key. I want to see all regions in a single run.

So, just got a new gamepad and now I'm willing to start again. I think I got as far as
Sen's Fortress and the Lothric prince guy killed the fire witch woman right under the Firelink Shrine -funnily enough I didn't realize there were any stairs that led down or to New Londo until I saw them on the internet- but I don't think I fixed that.

Any tips, especially on what I should keep an eye out with regards to picking up facts about lore/story? I'm pretty bad at noticing environmental storytelling lol. I think I'm going to focus on Dex and use a Scimitar again lol. No master key. I want to see all regions in a single run.

Read all the item descriptions

This game's sheer density always impresses me. I think I just found a new secret for me:
Didn't know there was a crossbow in the Undead Burg.

Also some guy invaded me hahahahaha. Think this might be the first time. Didn't come close to beating him, probably, but he was casting miracles and shit while me doing a backstab dealt 28 HP of damage (and spamming a combo scarcely more), so I'm proud that I lasted a few minutes lol

Maybesew

I've googled around for months off and on, and have basically given up, but figured I would try here one last time.

At some point after finishing the game, Dark souls on PC stopped working for me, and now when I load it up from Steam, i just get a blank black screen. I'm pretty certain this has to do with the removal of GFWL. But no matter what, I have not been able to solve the problem and play the game anymore.

I've tried seemingly all of the solutions that come up when you google the issue and get the threads on the steam forums.

Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions on what fixed the issue for them? I'd love to play this game again, and finish the DLC that I never got around to, but it seems like the game just doesn't want me to be able to.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Try going for a dexterity build.

I went from Bloodborne to Dark Souls and it was pretty rough at first but I got through it. Demons Souls was much easier to get into, the combat feels better there.

Top Bottom