• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Is there a weapon you suggest I seek out around this point?

Really, just whatever weapon that you most enjoy using. Different people like different movesets, so it's really just preference or whatever suits your build the best. Just make sure to try and get it to at least +10 before going through Sen's Fortress.

The Drake Sword is mainly just a trap, as it has high damage for that early in the game, but due to the fact that it doesn't scale almost every weapon will surpass it. It's fine if you want to use it for a little while, but once you get a +5 or above weapon then you can forget about it.

Booshka

I wonder if there's a single page in this thread that doesn't talk about the Drake sword. lol

In 2013 no less.

twitch-FailFish.png

Seanspeed said:
My problem with the Drake Sword is that if you can one shot enemies early in the game, you're not learning.
Agree with this.

The Drake Sword is a helper weapon early game. This thing is popular! I see SO many people using it when summoned, and I enjoy the early half of the game and being summoned there so I see how many people use it - it's a lot! They all clearly are reading faqs and the net because how else would they know they could get it? It isn't made clear in the game(?)

I see a lot of people using it by Sen's Fortress and even Anor Londo - this is mid-game, and by this point, well no wonder they are summoning helpers! That weapon might help very early on, but by Blighttown, surely it's showing its weaknesses. If you hang on to it much futher, you're in trouble.

Arjen

Agree with this.

The Drake Sword is a helper weapon early game. This thing is popular! I see SO many people using it when summoned, and I enjoy the early half of the game and being summoned there so I see how many people use it - it's a lot! They all clearly are reading faqs and the net because how else would they know they could get it? It isn't made clear in the game(?)

I see a lot of people using it by Sen's Fortress and even Anor Londo - this is mid-game, and by this point, well no wonder they are summoning helpers! That weapon might help very early on, but by Blighttown, surely it's showing its weaknesses. If you hang on to it much futher, you're in trouble.

Yeah, I see tons of people in Anor Londo using the drake sword when i'm sunbro'ing.
Then they die to the first silver knight.

Booshka

Yeah, I see tons of people in Anor Londo using the drake sword when i'm sunbro'ing.
Then they die to the first silver knight.

When I was doing a ton of summons in Anor Londo I started crafting weapons to drop for noobs. If I saw them using terrible gear, I would try to drop them a +11 weapon that suited their playstyle. I had to block a doorway, drop it, then gesture a bunch. Got a lot of amazing thankful messages when people saw what a difference a decent weapon makes.

I would then proceed to tell them to upgrade it to +15 and they'd do fine.

2AdEPT

Nice!

Welcome back to both of you :D

2adept, have you considered making your BKGA character a Black Knight cosplay build? It's one of my favorite characters. Love it for invasions, coop, and fight clubs. Had some fun duels with SenseiJinX a few days ago, you guys should join us.
Here's the build I use for that (but I switch between all the BK weapons):
http://mmdks.com/3ilh

It feels especially appropriate to invade with a black knight.. too bad some greatshield/spear using darkmoon knocked me down a few pegs in the book of the guilty. Might make another BK invasion video.

Mick, if you bring your STR to 27 (or 28 if you want to 1H the murakumo) you'll have a really versatile build and be able to use the majority of the weapons in the game (albeit some two handed), but, I'm sure you already know that ;)

Ha, the ring of favour and all that vitality plus better armour are things that make that build more tough than my skywalker build for sure....I best learn to use the build generator and do more duels to get better. Sullichin creamed me in our duel, but given enough time to master my mobility advantage I would think that the only weakness I could exploit is that he will leave himself open after missing a swing....was living my lips but was too chicken to get in close after getting stunlocked to death early in the series. Was very fun and I want to do more PVP now for sure.

2AdEPT

Is there a weapon you suggest I seek out around this point?
Sorry for the double post but can't seem to figure out how to cut and paste on my phone....Panda, although I agree that there are many to choose from, if you happened to get any black knight weapons these can take you right through and are better "crutch" weapons than drake even. But because these are upgraded using twinkling titanite, you still want to find a regular weapon to upgrade using regular titanite all the way to plus 15. It eventually depends on whether you wish to go pure strength, dex, or hybrid(quality) and there are lots of choices for each. Do use a wiki to figure out how the bonus damage on weapons works, but watch out for using it too much to find the weapons. Your first play through you may wish to just upgrade and build your character around a weapon that drops for you or that you find laying around...but obviously some really good unique weapons are going to be hard to stumble on to. If you must know what I recommend, I would say the katanas were some of my favourites, with the washing pole being the longest reach and coolest moveset....but it requires you do a certain forest covenant, talk to people within, and then hit another area in the right order. You may not wish to use a wiki to find out how, as part of the fun of the virgin play through is figuring stuff out for yourself. Other weapons that are decent are the claymore, great scythe, the Balder knight sword (rare drop) and any of the halberds. But really, any weapon upgraded to plus 10, and eventually plus 15 can be buffed with lightning and or fire, and also with magic from sorcery or faith builds....and will be viable right through. You can always upgrade more than one path but keep in mind there are only so many slabs per playthrough so you may not want to max out elemental fire and lightning weapons carelessly. Get a main Plus 15 weapon first then branch out from there.

Your estoc is rather weak later on, but right now it is a good friend as it is the only sword in the game that doubles as a spear and allows you to keep your shield up and attack at the same time. My personal preference would be to find a heavier weapon and two hand it using a shield sparingly by pressing the triangle button to toggle between two hand and shield.

Getting more dex and leaving just enough str for two handing gives you the most options. Unless I wish to go pure strength, I normally don't go higher than 20 str which enables me to two hand most weapons and to shoot the dragonslayer greatbow. 18 is enough for washing pole iirc and you need a couple more for the heavier black knight weapons....like 22 or 23.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
never understood the thinking of cheating online. It just seem boring

Been doing mostly forest invasions these past days and I'm encountring quite a number of hackers/glitchers. One guy had like infinite poise, and the rest were using that hack(glitch where they just don't take any damage at all.

Also, woah salty gankers too. I was called a cheater by some noobs because I one hitted them with a hornet ring'd chaos rapier.

Oh well, online gaming eh?

edit: oh crap, this is the PC edition thread haha! Disregard then, I'm on console =)

I cannot figure out what is going on with Manus. He basically two-shots my current character, who has 30 vitality. His combo is basically a certain kill if the first hit connects, whereas my previous light character basically shrugged it off, and he had 22 vitality at best. The only difference is that this character is wearing a Crimson set with no upgrades and is 10 levels lower (still has higher dexterity and vitality), and the other one had a mostly-upgraded Crimson set. An upgraded Paladin set didn't help my other, mid-weight character in the slightest, so what's the variable here? Is there something special about the upgraded Crimson robes? What's even going on?

Also, is there any point to the Falchion in PvE? I think it's better at breaking poise than the Gold Tracer, but on what bosses will breaking poise be useful? Ornstein? Can you stun Manus? And I'm not looking for the absolute best weapon or anything, I'm just playing with only bow and curved swords.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is there an interactive checklist for spells and weapons you can find and save to access through the Steam overlay for the PC version?

2AdEPT

I cannot figure out what is going on with Manus. He basically two-shots my current character, who has 30 vitality. His combo is basically a certain kill if the first hit connects, whereas my previous light character basically shrugged it off, and he had 22 vitality at best. The only difference is that this character is wearing a Crimson set with no upgrades and is 10 levels lower (still has higher dexterity and vitality), and the other one had a mostly-upgraded Crimson set. An upgraded Paladin set didn't help my other, mid-weight character in the slightest, so what's the variable here? Is there something special about the upgraded Crimson robes? What's even going on?

Also, is there any point to the Falchion in PvE? I think it's better at breaking poise than the Gold Tracer, but on what bosses will breaking poise be useful? Ornstein? Can you stun Manus? And I'm not looking for the absolute best weapon or anything, I'm just playing with only bow and curved swords.
Yeah I'm not an expert at the DLC...but sounds like your physical defense could be different based on your overall leveling. You get standard increases in physical defense for every level you go up, usually irrespective of what domain you increase (intelligence excepted perhaps?) , and combined with a weaker robe (which is less important) you will not take as many hits. Depending on your character, you may also have less magic resistance which IIRC Manus does spam at players as well. Check your stats on the player page (has an icon of a human) it should show you your overall physical defense, then breaks down the magic, fire and lightning resistance. Certain armours help, but your physical defense must be the main problem there I think.I really am going out on a limb now, but does not the physical defense get multiplied with the vitality before it actually affects your bar drain on screen?

what do people think an acceptable physcial defense score best be at for manus? I rarely go forth with much more than 100 for early game and 200 for late game....but I barely touch vitality for PVE as I know the game backwards and forward between bosses so I don't really need any. Then when I get to bosses like Orn and SMu, Kalameet, and manus..... I usually hire help...whether that be online or with NPC's. Baby SIF is cool but he hardly helps with Manus..I ahve never got by him, nor Kalameet with my low level characters. The highest I took in to the DLC has been SL80 magic user. It took me a few hours to get past the sanctuary boss on my own when no summons were connecting!!!!

As for your second question, I have never been a fan of the falchion or scimitar...so although I have not used them much I cannot guarantee but my guess is they won't be breaking poise on regular enemies let alone bosses...Super sized bosses have tonnes of poise....I don't think you can even break the white dragon, Kalameet, etc. I do know that you can stun Smough...just did it with my black knight great axe chick the other day....but the falchion? I doubt it!

Is there an interactive checklist for spells and weapons you can find and save to access through the Steam overlay for the PC version?

I rarely use the steam shift - tab thing if that is what you mean...not sure what you mean by "interactive checklist?!?!?!" Obviously the in game menus are not what you are talking about, but these serve me fine....but I sorta know most of the spells and locations and consult my beautiful hardcover guide for what I don't!

TheSeks

I rarely use the steam shift - tab thing if that is what you mean...not sure what you mean by "interactive checklist?!?!?!" Obviously the in game menus are not what you are talking about, but these serve me fine....but I sorta know most of the spells and locations and consult my beautiful hardcover guide for what I don't!

More a google spreadsheet with the information you can save and put on your own Google account to use through the Steam overlay browser. The checklists I've seen aren't exactly excel/Google spreadsheet ready and more images built in those.

Sullichin

So, GFWL shutting down officially on July 1st, 2014, if the interwebs can be believed. I assume Dark Souls will at least still be PLAYABLE after that date, right? You can setup an offline profile, and I assume in that case it doesn't actually have to contact GFWL for you to play right? I could be wrong. There would be no online features, but at least you could still play.

Somebody made a sad point about the online, though. There would be no more soapstone messages. No random invasions or jolly co-op. No ghosts running around. No bells ringing as others beat the gargoyles. It would feel so alone.

I seriously doubt that From will patch out GFWL, given their previous track record. At the very least I hope we can still play the game. Dark Souls II will be out by then, but I can certainly see myself wanting to replay Dark Souls after that point.

Gattsu25

Banned
So, GFWL shutting down officially on July 1st, 2014, if the interwebs can be believed. I assume Dark Souls will at least still be PLAYABLE after that date, right? You can setup an offline profile, and I assume in that case it doesn't actually have to contact GFWL for you to play right? I could be wrong. There would be no online features, but at least you could still play.

Somebody made a sad point about the online, though. There would be no more soapstone messages. No random invasions or jolly co-op. No ghosts running around. No bells ringing as others beat the gargoyles. It would feel so alone.

I seriously doubt that From will patch out GFWL, given their previous track record. At the very least I hope we can still play the game. Dark Souls II will be out by then, but I can certainly see myself wanting to replay Dark Souls after that point.

This was posted on Reddit:

slDUWOa.png

Not sure how trustworthy it is but supposedly they pulled the comment shortly after posting it

I unlocked the framerate (but still limited to 30fps) and made sure Vsync was disabled in the nvidia panel. The game isn't giving the same hard drops to 15 FPS like it previously had (haven't tried Blighttown yet), although it's still noticeably less smooth in the troublesome areas. Are there any other tweaks? I'm back on a laptop, so I can't even play at native resolution.

Hopefully that's true. I don't think FROM has pushed a single update to the game since release, even though it seems to have sold well. Despite their best efforts to send it out to die, there's still about 4,000+ people playing every day according to Steam.

Actually they released one update last December that fixed the audio issue with 5.1 and stereo but that's it.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
So I'm playing for the first time and I got cursed in The Depths, it reminded me when I got bitten by a vampire in the the elder scrolls oblivion, granted this wasn't THAT bad.
I'm really loving the game. I'm 15 hours in and just killed the boss of The Depths. I'm trying not read anything because I'm spoiler free at the moment but it's hard :lol

Booshka

So I'm playing for the first time and I got cursed in The Depths, it reminded me when I got bitten by a vampire in the the elder scrolls oblivion, granted this wasn't THAT bad.
I'm really loving the game. I'm 15 hours in and just killed the boss of The Depths. I'm trying not read anything because I'm spoiler free at the moment but it's hard :lol

Read the item descriptions for everything you pick up and have on you, listen to all available dialogue from NPC's. Pay attention, and most of the tips a Wiki would tell you is told to you that way in-game, just have to dig a bit and piece it all together.

Have fun.

NaM

Read the item descriptions for everything you pick up and have on you, listen to all available dialogue from NPC's. Pay attention, and most of the tips a Wiki would tell you is told to you that way in-game, just have to dig a bit and piece it all together.

Have fun.

I'm doing that and having a blast while doing it really, just have to avoid the temptation ;)

NaM

Quick question, to reinforce a weapon past +5 I need large titanite shard? if so I think I screwed up.

Quick question, to reinforce a weapon past +5 I need large titanite shard? if so I think I screwed up.

Yeah, and you also need the Large Ember from the Depths. Why do you think you screwed up? You can farm the shards, or even buy them later in the game.

NaM

Yeah, and you also need the Large Ember from the Depths. Why do you think you screwed up? You can farm the shards, or even buy them later in the game.

Because I have a lot of titatine shards but no large titatine shards, I gave all the large ones to the big monster at the firelink shrine lol

Because I have a lot of titatine shards but no large titatine shards, I gave all the large ones to the big monster at the firelink shrine lol

They're easy to get. The best way to farm the large titanite shards is in Blighttown. If you explore near the Great Hollow you'll run into a bunch of slugs. If you have the Covetous Serpent Ring, put that on, and pop at least one humanity to maximize your item find. I usually can get enough large titanite to get a weapon to +10 there in about 10 minutes or so. (Sometimes quicker, there's a lot of slugs and if you have maximum item discovery you'll get tons.)

Well shoot. A random 7MB update just got pushed out for Dark Souls. Not sure what it's for, but it seems to be breaking DSFix.

EDIT: Only seems to crash if you have the unlockFPS option turned on.

TheSeks

Ugh, Silver Knight weapon drops are so bullshit. Even with the finding ring and 10 humanity they're so rare. :/

2AdEPT

I can't load dark souls now...do I have to change the unlock FPS thing?

edit...yep ...deselecting the FPS unlock corrects the loading problem...and reverts it back to less smooth gameplay.....I rally like the 60 FPS :(

also I was playing a character dyifn the patch and now my white soapstone is gone from the inventory...major glitch and I haven't saved using GSM in a while...me and a buddy were goign together but looks like I pretty mnuch have to start over. Anyone else had that happen..seems like its pretty rare, but a fewe others appear to have had it?

edit2 : it was the BB that ate it...recovered it thankfully.

hey thanks snacks...kinda a noob at PC and steam in particular...so what should i do with the zip once downloaded?

You copy and paste everything in there into the DATA folder in the Dark Souls folder in Steam. In Program Files. Hopefully you know how to do that, or else you can look it up or someone else will explain it.

Then restart Steam, or put the files in while Steam is closed and open Steam back up when you're done.

ParityBit

I plan on getting the PC version of DSII.

How long will we have to wait for Durante to fix it again?! I will probably wait on the purchase until that point of time.

Top Bottom