• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Arjen

Just bought Dark Souls for the 360, do you think it's worth buying the DLC now to experience in my first playthrough, or would I be ok waiting for a sale?

Well..the dlc can't be accessed right away, you need to get past a point that broke the spirits of many players. See if you can get past that point, then buy the dlc, well worth the money.

Serra

Started a Aggression + Gravelord mod playthrough.

Its pretty tough and tons of super hilarious moments even so far, even though im still in undead parish. I highly recommend all experienced players to try it!

Im also kind of tempted to try the mirror mod, which for those who don't know, mirrors the world geometry.

Tell me there's a mod to make the game say that.

You can find alot of text replace mods on dark souls nexus that you can customize, so you can make it say anything.

Well..the dlc can't be accessed right away, you need to get past a point that broke the spirits of many players. See if you can get past that point, then buy the dlc, well worth the money.

Cool, thanks for the advice, I'll hold off for the moment. Never played a Souls game before but after watching 1 or 2 of Giant Bomb's Loud Our Last Souls vids I got really interested, quit watching them so as not to get spoiled on anything.

Started a Aggression + Gravelord mod playthrough.

Its pretty tough and tons of super hilarious moments even so far, even though im still in undead parish. I highly recommend all experienced players to try it!

Im also kind of tempted to try the mirror mod, which for those who don't know, mirrors the world geometry.

You can find alot of text replace mods on dark souls nexus that you can customize, so you can make it say anything.

How do you gravelord yourself? I have been wanting to do that for a while.

Serra

How do you gravelord yourself? I have been wanting to do that for a while.

If you follow this guide you can use aggressive enemies and gravelord mod. Either at the same time or separately. Its really easy. Parts 15 & 16 are optional, if you want to add further difficulty.

Guide credit to IAmVenom from youtube.
----
Cheat engine LUA script - http://www.filedropper.com/gravelordedupdate
Cheat Engine 6.3 - http://cheatengine.org/download/d1/CheatEngine63.exe

1) Download the Cheat Engine LUA script and place it somewhere memorable!
2) Download, install and run Cheat Engine
3) Run Dark Souls
4) Drop back to the desktop if the game is full screen (ALT+TAB)
5) Go to Cheat Engine, click the icon flashing red and green
6) Find DATA.EXE
7) Click OPEN
8) Click FILE, then LOAD
9) Find your LUA script and OPEN it

9.1) IMPORTANT!!!!_!!!!DISABLE XLIVE FIRST IF YOU DO NOT RUN DSCFIX!!!!

10) Go back to the game
11) F1 to Enable - Bonfire to revive Phantoms
12) F2 to disable/kill Phantoms
13) F3 to enable the Aggression Mod
14) F4 to disable the Aggression Mod
15) Set NG+ status to 7 for Hell on Earth (Do this manually from the CE table. Double click the value (this will be 0 for a new character) and set to what you desire)
16) Prepare your Anus

Do not set the New Game Plus value for a new character UNTIL you have acquired the Estus Flask!!!!
----

Have fun! Let me know how it goes.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I bought Dark Souls in the last Steam sale for dirt cheap. I've always heard great things about this game here on GAF but I've never played it at all, nor the previous Demon Souls. I knew it was considered hard so I expected some difficulty but WOAH, this game is brutal. Prepare to Die edition is certainly correct marketing, LOL.

I'm loving the atmosphere of it, although it's dark at times it's a good looking game. Controls are nice too once your used to it. Not sure yet about some of the items and leveling method, it's a bit confusing but I'll learn by trial and error. But man, the difficulty curve! I must have died over a dozen times to that first boss in the starter area before I discovered the little opening to the left that you have to escape down. Before that I tried all manners of getting the boss to smash the doors open for me, heh.

Currently I'm in the area just past the starting area. I've decided to skip the graveyard down below because I get owned there constantly. Instead I'm heading upwards. I'm to the point where I can fight past the skeleton warriors fairly consistently, even with their damned firebombs, but there is a boss looking like the Ranchor on a top of a castle wall that is currently killing me with high frequency. I know I need to climb the ladder and jump down on top of him, but the bastard jumps up after me so fast that I barely have time to do it.

Damn tough game. Looking forward to getting better at it, because woah I suck at it right now, lol.

I know I need to climb the ladder and jump down on top of him, but the bastard jumps up after me so fast that I barely have time to do it.
Make sure you're not wearing equipment that's heavier than what you can withstand. If you turn around as soon as it appears and use the sprint button you'll have enough time.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I tried showing this Mushroom what a real punch looks like. He wasn't pleased.

11210124334_c2eb4f6b59_o.gif

Seanspeed

Banned
So I bought Dark Souls in the last Steam sale for dirt cheap. I've always heard great things about this game here on GAF but I've never played it at all, nor the previous Demon Souls. I knew it was considered hard so I expected some difficulty but WOAH, this game is brutal. Prepare to Die edition is certainly correct marketing, LOL.

I'm loving the atmosphere of it, although it's dark at times it's a good looking game. Controls are nice too once your used to it. Not sure yet about some of the items and leveling method, it's a bit confusing but I'll learn by trial and error. But man, the difficulty curve! I must have died over a dozen times to that first boss in the starter area before I discovered the little opening to the left that you have to escape down. Before that I tried all manners of getting the boss to smash the doors open for me, heh.

Currently I'm in the area just past the starting area. I've decided to skip the graveyard down below because I get owned there constantly. Instead I'm heading upwards. I'm to the point where I can fight past the skeleton warriors fairly consistently, even with their damned firebombs, but there is a boss looking like the Ranchor on a top of a castle wall that is currently killing me with high frequency. I know I need to climb the ladder and jump down on top of him, but the bastard jumps up after me so fast that I barely have time to do it.

Damn tough game. Looking forward to getting better at it, because woah I suck at it right now, lol.
Welcome. You have described what pretty much all of us have gone through.

It gets soooo much better. :)

dab0ne

I'm new to this game and I'm getting a crazy amount of frame drop. My current PC should be able to run it pretty handily. Are there any tricks of the trade for getting this puppy at 60fps?

mannerbot

Thank you but it won't be necessary. I've been playing for about two hours and it's just so boring. Does it get better or is this basically what the game is. I'm sure the bosses get "harder" but it just seems like a grind fest until you're strong enough to fight the bosses.

If you're grinding you're doing it wrong. Don't quit before you fight the Gargoyles, that's where most people start to "get it."

dab0ne

If you're grinding you're doing it wrong. Don't quit before you fight the Gargoyles, that's where most people start to "get it."

Actually I just did the DSfix and it's actually enjoyable now that I can play at a steady frame rate. The game is just soooo slow. Which is ok if certain things work normally. For instance...how come I can roll and go right through someones sword but other times I get hit?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Actually I just did the DSfix and it's actually enjoyable now that I can play at a steady frame rate. The game is just soooo slow. Which is ok if certain things work normally. For instance...how come I can roll and go right through someones sword but other times I get hit?

When you're rolling you have some invincibility frames so that you can escape damage from bigger attacks.

Also, sometimes at may appear like it might be hitting you but the sword model never actually collides with your character model.

Ex:
reremake_by_aloo81-d7d2zxq.gif

On my roll back I'm hit with the tip of the sword, but on my attack the sword goes over me.

dab0ne

When you're rolling you have some invincibility frames so that you can escape damage from bigger attacks.

Also, sometimes at may appear like it might be hitting you but the sword model never actually collides with your character model.

Ex:
reremake_by_aloo81-d7d2zxq.gif

On my roll back I'm hit with the tip of the sword, but on my attack the sword goes over me.

Gotcha. Thanks man.

mannerbot

Should be obvious that it's timing dependent, no? :p You get invincibility frames at the start of a roll but not in the recovery. Also, you have different rolls depending on the weight of your gear. Under 25% max equip load you fast roll; under 50% you mid roll; over 50% you fat roll; and over 100% you can't roll. The faster the roll is, the more invincibility frames you get and the quicker the recovery.

dab0ne

Thanks for the tips guys. Is there a way to map my fire bombs to the dpad so I can throw it quickly? As it stands I have to navigate the menu to use one which basically means I don't use them.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Thanks for the tips guys. Is there a way to map my fire bombs to the dpad so I can throw it quickly? As it stands I have to navigate the menu to use one which basically means I don't use them.

Go to your equipment and there should be a section with 5 slots (one slot will likely be your estus flask). Put the firebomb on one of those slots.

Then, in game, you use down on the D-pad to select your item and X (or Square) to use the item.

Edit: you can see it on the top right here

dab0ne

Go to your equipment and there should be a section with 5 slots (one slot will likely be your estus flask). Put the firebomb on one of those slots.

Then, in game, you use down on the D-pad to select your item and X (or Square) to use the item.

Edit: you can see it on the top right here

Was able to map this to the d pad thanks. I just don't think this game is for me. I've been playing for four hours and I'm not seeing how it's going to change very much. Is there like a rework of the combat system or game play later on or something or is the whole game basically you die, you re-sapawn, walk the same path and fight the same enemies over and over again; slowly making progression each time? I'm just getting bored with fighting the same dudes over and over again. Feels more like a slog than an adventure.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Was able to map this to the d pad thanks. I just don't think this game is for me. I've been playing for four hours and I'm not seeing how it's going to change very much. Is there like a rework of the combat system or game play later on or something or is the whole game basically you die, you re-sapawn, walk the same path and fight the same enemies over and over again; slowly making progression each time? I'm just getting bored with fighting the same dudes over and over again. Feels more like a slog than an adventure.

The game doesn't change for you, you're supposed to change for the game.

The game doesn't get easier, you just have to get better.

It's possible to beat the entire game, never leveling up, never dying, and never healing once. Doing well is entirely dependent on being good and the more you play the better you'll get.

The game requires patience and that you really pay attention to the enemies and their attacks. If you don't pay attention the game punishes you hard and tries to teach you not to make the same mistake again.

dab0ne

The game doesn't change for you, you're supposed to change for the game.

The game doesn't get easier, you just have to get better.

It's possible to beat the entire game, never leveling up, never dying, and never healing once. Doing well is entirely dependent on being good and the more you play the better you'll get.

The game requires patience and that you really pay attention to the enemies and their attacks. If you don't pay attention the game punishes you hard and tries to teach you not to make the same mistake again.

Oh... I'm a slow learner :p

Thanks for your help.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Oh... I'm a slow learner :p

Thanks for your help.

You're probably not a slow learner. Everyone makes the same mistakes to start. They treat it like most 3rd person action games where you run forward and you just hammer the attack button.

In other games that works. In this one you die. And the punishment for death can be harsh.

Stamina management is really important and along with that patience.

Also a small tip in case you didn't know it, your stamina regenerates much faster when you're shields down. When fighting an enemy, you should lower your shield whenever it's safe to make sure you have stamina back for swinging. Most people just instinctively want to keep their shield up all the time because shields are really useful and block most damage, but it's a balance that will be really useful to learn.

dab0ne

Ok, I'm fighting the Gargoyles now. Is there a bonfire somewhere nearby there so I don't have to run all the way back there? Im at the one in the middle of the castle where you Kick down the ladder. Is there one closer to the Gargoyle fight?

Facism

Ok, I'm fighting the Gargoyles now. Is there a bonfire somewhere nearby there so I don't have to run all the way back there? Im at the one in the middle of the castle where you Kick down the ladder. Is there one closer to the Gargoyle fight?

There are 2. One is the shortcut to Firelink Shrine, the other is down a path outside the side entrance to the church.

Facism

Ok i'll look for them. I'm tired of making the trek all the way back up the damn castle.

Both really easy to find.
Inside the church, instead of taking the stairs to go up and fight the hollows before the Gargoyles, there's 2 doorways that are actually lifts down to Firelink. In that same church, assume you're looking at the altar and take the right exit. There will be a path directly infront of you that leads to a bonfire and a blacksmith :)

Spoilered incase you want to fin them yourself.

dab0ne

Both really easy to find.
Inside the church, instead of taking the stairs to go up and fight the hollows before the Gargoyles, there's 2 doorways that are actually lifts down to Firelink. In that same church, assume you're looking at the altar and take the right exit. There will be a path directly infront of you that leads to a bonfire and a blacksmith :)

Spoilered incase you want to fin them yourself.

Yeah I found one. Now I get to die 100 times at the Gargoyle fight. Yippee!!

dab0ne

Yep I got stuck here at first and gave up for a few months and was turn off by the game. After awhile I started back up and the souls series is one of my favorite series now :)

I beat it. Still not really feeling the game though. Too much of a slog so far. I bought it so I'm going to keep playing but as of right now I don't see why it gets such high praise. Don't get me wrong, the game is perfectly good I just don't think it's great.

Parsnip

Souls series isn't for everyone of course. The animation priority seems to be a common thing that some people just simply don't like.

dab0ne

Souls series isn't for everyone of course. The animation priority seems to be a common thing that some people just simply don't like.

Actually the one thing that really pulls me out of the experience is that enemies can't hit each other. There will be a gaggle of dudes swinging like crazy with no consequence to anyone but me.

Other times archers will be shooting at me, while I'm fighting someone, and the arrow will go right through my opponent and hit me.

I feel like I should be rewarded for making archers shoot at allies and making enemies swing into each other. If I have to be patient during the combat so should my enemies. For me, it removes actual difficulty and just makes it feel like cheap hits and deaths.

Edit: Also, enemy melee weapons seem to pass through poles and columns, which cheapens the combat even more for me.

I need help, please ! :)

A friend recently bought a new PC and is finally able to play Dark Souls 1, but he has a connection problem with GFWL. He already has have a Live account for years now, to play SF4 - but even this title doesn't seem to work anymore.

He tried to reinstall the GFWL client, and fumble with the network configuration, but nada and we are out of ideas. Could someone give us an idea ? :(

A screenshot of the error :
http://imgur.com/ZYQsOxs

(his internet WORKS; it's GFWL which doesn't)

shiroryu

I need help, please ! :)

A friend recently bought a new PC and is finally able to play Dark Souls 1, but he has a connection problem with GFWL. He already has have a Live account for years now, to play SF4 - but even this title doesn't seem to work anymore.

He tried to reinstall the GFWL client, and fumble with the network configuration, but nada and we are out of ideas. Could someone give us an idea ? :(

A screenshot of the error :
http://imgur.com/ZYQsOxs

(his internet WORKS; it's GFWL which doesn't)

Try:

1. Opening up the Windows firewall rules for GFWL (TCP&UDP) if not opened
2. Disabling the router firewall if there's a router
3. Turning UPnP OFF in the router settings (weird but it may work)

The best option (not being sarcastic here) is waiting for Dark Souls to go Steamworks. I just play offline, GFWL is too wonky even when it works for me.

I need help with Queelag. I just can't beat her. Anybody willing to lend an hand?

Sorry I missed that message when you posted it, I could have loaded up DS1 and helped. Have you beat her now?

On another note, I'm deep into DS2 right now. But I know I'll want to come back to DS1 at some point. But I'm getting worried about GFWL's impending death, and the fact that neither From or Namco Bandai have made any comments about patching the online to work without GFWL as far as I know. At this point I don't think it's going to happen. Which makes me really sad. The world would just feel so lonely. Not only would there be no PVP or co-op, but you would never again see another player's bloodstain, take a look at someone's build at a bonfire, run past a phantom, or read a funny or helpful message from another player.

Strampas

Neo Member
I just beat the game and was thinking if I was gonna buy the dlc or not, but I have the "Prepare to die edition" for ps3, but it doesn't seem like I have access to the dlc, which should be included? It says so on the cover at least. Any ideas why?

I just beat the game and was thinking if I was gonna buy the dlc or not, but I have the "Prepare to die edition" for ps3, but it doesn't seem like I have access to the dlc, which should be included? It says so on the cover at least. Any ideas why?

If it's the "Prepare to Die" edition you should have access. Gaining access to it is just really convoluted.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/additional-content

Instructions are on that page if you need them.

Thank you very much! But when I finished the game, didn't the story reset? Do I have to redo everything to get there?

Yeah, if you beat Gwyn you'll either have to do the DLC on a new character or on NG+...

Although if you've only played through the game once, it goes much faster on your second playthrough, FYI. (And trying out new builds and characters is one of the most enjoyable parts of Dark Souls.) So unfortunately you can't get to the DLC right away, but replaying can be really fun.

Guys I am getting tired of farming souvernirs of reprisal in the painted world of Ariamis,can someone give me ten so that I can get the last miracle that I miss?

I am SL 78 PS3

Thanks for the info : )

No problem!

Guys I am getting tired of farming souvernirs of reprisal in the painted world of Ariamis,can someone give me ten so that I can get the last miracle that I miss?

I am SL 78 PS3

This thread gets less traffic than the main Dark Souls thread these days, so you'll probably have more luck asking there:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=755000&page=98

I'm on PC so I can't help unfortunately.

Parsnip

It will be very curious to see what kind of activity bump the Steamworks conversion causes for this thread and general Steam player counts. Personally I'm going jump back in and start over rather than transfer my saves and/or achievements. I also know quite a few people who own the game but haven't played it either because they simply refuse to deal with g4wl, or they simply couldn't get it to work at all.

Praising intensifies, and all that.

Add me to the waiting club. I'm worn out by Dark Souls 2 after a bunch of no death attempts and am looking forward to replaying DS1 and getting all the achievements on Steam.

Top Bottom