• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders 3 (News soon?)

Corto

Didn't a Platinum Producer showed some interest in Darksiders when THQ went under? What if the rumoured Platinum Xbox One game was Darksiders funded by Microsoft?

d00d3n

RaggedFlawlessDachshund.gif

Such a brilliant gif. I started laughing out loud, annoying my office room mate.

Regarding the news: really unexpected, but fantastic. It seems very unlikely, but I am hoping for a return to the item-based progression and smaller more detailed world of the original.

And that is precisely the part I stopped playing the game. Triple fetch in a triple fetch, I was afraid to get to the 3rd one to find another layer of triple fetch, like some inception trickery.

Same here. Doing a triple fetch for someone i couldnt even remember, for a reason i had long since forgotten. DS2 was my biggest disappointment of 2012. It still hurts. I wanted more War and Vernon Wells action

Feindflug

2 was one of the most bland, tedious, boring and badly designed games I've played in years.

They need to re-visit the original to see what made it a good game otherwise don't bother with 3.

Exactly this, I loved the first game but Darksiders 2 was a huge disappointment.

Hopefully we'll see something at E3.

LDAF

Holy shit! I was just looking at a post yesterday that talked about Darksiders dying as the hero...I really hope this goes through! I actually thought Darksiders 2 was a LOT better than the first. There were some parts where it was a little overly long (a little too much time in the Kingdom of the Dead), and some pacing issues near the end, but I still thought it was a great package.

Novocaine

Ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod

tjKtYt5.gif

I'm so happy to hear this news. I was so sad when Vigil didn't get picked up after the THQ thing. The Darksiders games are beautiful, now going to full jonesing for more Darksiders mode.

I need the stories of the other horsemen!

They should just remake DS2 into a worhty successor of DS1.

DS1 was such an amazing game that could become a great story.
DS2 was a soulless game. Story sucked, gameplay sucked, overworlds with no meaning,...

BibiMaghoo

If they make a third game, and it takes place at the same time as the previous two games, someone is going to burn in hell forever.

Ichabod

Banned
I'm one of the minority that liked DS2 better than DS1. DS2 was one of my favorite games of last generation. Death was so agile and fun to control, the combat was godlike, and I'm a sucker for loot whore games so I hope they keep that aspect going forward. Very excited to see what comes next!

Silky

Banned
Now who would need a semi-successful and well known Action-RPG title to headline their next lineup of games?

If Nordic's a middle man obviously they're gonna give out the IP to someone confident, but ask yourself this; how many successful, mid-tier western action game developers are there?

There's:
-Good
Sony Santa Monica (God of War)

-Decent Enough, but nothing to write home about.
Ninja Theory (Heavenly Sword, DmC)

-Bad
Literally every other developer I can think of.

So it's most likely that Nordic's giving the franchise to a developer unproven in the action genre (Because as of this point, DS2 is very much on the same caliber as a character action game. The RPG elements are 'light'.), or this could be Sony Santa Monica's next project (the latter is wishful thinking.)

I dunno, I can't see myself to be hype. Unless Crytek and Nordic have been doin' some deals...

gngf123

Optimistic.

I hope they try to focus everything down to what made Darksiders fun, instead of trying their best to throw as much shit as they can into it like in the past.

As for the poster above, let's not lock Darksiders down onto one platform please.

BY2K

Membero Americo
As much as I'd like 4 player co-op, I'd like whoever is gonna make the game to make one single-player first, to see if they can nail it before they try the multiplayer waters. Introduce Strife or Fury. (And try to make Strife less of a goddamn asshole than he is in the novel.)

Whatever they do, I seriously hope they go back to the Zelda-like approach of the first game, rather than the Diablo-like "loot whoring" of the second.
Fuck random drops, fuck collecting dozens of armors and weapons each one with minimal variations, fuck fighting a boss or finding a secret only to drop useless redundant crap.
Etc, etc.

And yes, go back to the more Zelda-like roots.

Sentenza

Whatever they do, I seriously hope they go back to the Zelda-like approach of the first game, rather than the Diablo-like "loot whoring" of the second.
Fuck random drops, fuck collecting dozens of armors and weapons each one with minimal variations, fuck fighting a boss or finding a secret only to drop useless redundant crap.
Etc, etc.

Daante

Man I would be so excited if it wasn't for the 2nd game stuttering like mad when moving camera and crap.(apparently a huge issue for many but still minority)

No game does it besides Darksiders 2,I did some stuff over the past couple of months and I fixed a bit of stuttering but still happens...it shouldn't happen at all on max settings.

SPECS:

I72600k@4.6GHZ
GTX 670 SLI 4GB
8GB DDR3@1600MHZ
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

I'm sorry to put this here but this topic was the right opportunity to ask if anyone has a way around it.

Thanks, hopefully the 3RD will run better on my system.

I bought the game on PC when it was released, got motion sickness when i tried to play it, and havent touched it since then.

Pretty cool. Hopefully they learn from the mistakes of DS2 - decent gameplay ruined by tedious level design and bad pacing, Loved the first one though.

Corpsepyre

Banned
As much as I loved Darksiders 2, Vigil shot themselves in the foot by making it a side-sequel of sorts, with no real development in plot. The game did a lot of things better than the first, i.e more fluid combat, more weaponry, more RPG elements and what not, but it lacked the story and drive of the first game. Hoping the third game rectifies that.

Forget the haters, I loved every second of both of my Darksiders 2 playthroughs in my hunt for the full 1000/1000 GS. This was easily one of my favorite games last gen.

With that being said, I'll try and keep my expectations in check for DS3. I can see them shoveling the game out to a B-tier dev, which I'd be okay with as I don't think they are looking for a huge budget on the game. I don't see them giving it to Crytek USA though as they might command a little too much money.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
As much as I loved Darksiders 2, Vigil shot themselves in the foot by making it a side-sequel of sorts, with no real development in plot. The game did a lot of things better than the first, i.e more fluid combat, more weaponry, more RPG elements and what not, but it lacked the story and drive of the first game. Hoping the third game rectifies that.

I think there are legitimate complaints about Darksiders 2. The plot definitely wasn't as good and I do think Vigil's grasp extended their reach, which is why the first two worlds are so much bigger than any of the ones after.

But the combat is amazing, and there are so many great dungeons in the game. I legitimately believe that the Ivory Citadel can hang with the best dungeons in any Zelda game.

And seriously, that Boss Music.

ArjanN

Should be pentalogy, 4 game for individual horsemen, than the fifth final game as their avengers moment.

Something along those lines was already the original plan for the series.

I think they're in a decent position for a Darksiders 3 though, since they're pretty free to take in a number of directions.

Nordic have seemed pretty serious about it since the acquisition.

sephiroth7x

Playing through DS2 as we speak (Too big a back catalogue and have finally got round to it) and am throroughly enjoying it. Yes, I have suffered the DS2 fatigued faced in the Kingdom of the Dead but am just about to fight
Ardon
who has the
Rod of Arafel
and its picked back up again.

However, agree with all the posts. Needs to be more like DS1 with the agility and fighting of DS2 and we could have a legendary DS3.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I think there are legitimate complaints about Darksiders 2. The plot definitely wasn't as good and I do think Vigil's grasp extended their reach, which is why the first two worlds are so much bigger than any of the ones after.

But the combat is amazing, and there are so many great dungeons in the game. I legitimately believe that the Ivory Citadel can hang with the best dungeons in any Zelda game.

And seriously, that Boss Music.

That Earth level was bollocks as well. Agreed as far as the dungeons are concerned. They were spectacular, the first few atleast. They rushed the last one greatly.

Top Bottom