• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders 3 (News soon?)

TwistedSyn

Man this is great news. I loved both Darksiders 1 and 2 to death.

Also looking at the facebook post I see that Joe Madureira is thinking of continuing Battle Chasers. My god that would be amazing because Joe Madureira Battle Chasers #1 was one of the first comic books I ever bought with my own money. I chose it because I was fascinated with the artwork of the cover that I just had to pick it up. And once I read the first comic, I was hooked and bought the rest of them over time. Also if there ever was a comic back that I would like to be turned into a game, it would be Battle Chasers hands down.

God I love this art.

BCPoster_144_final.jpg

BAW

Banned
I'm one of the minority that liked DS2 better than DS1. DS2 was one of my favorite games of last generation. Death was so agile and fun to control, the combat was godlike, and I'm a sucker for loot whore games so I hope they keep that aspect going forward. Very excited to see what comes next!

You may like loot-based gameplay, but you must understand that it is not proper for a series like Darksiders.

Darksiders 1: Oh elusive chest, how I long to reach you and have you reveal your secrets to me!

Darksiders 2: Meh another chest over there. What's the point. I will get better loot by killing some higher level monsters down the road which are a dime a dozen.

Com_Raven

I just realised the director from God of War: Ascension joined Crytek for "an unannounced project"

Could it be?

Todd is here at Crytek HQ in Frankfurt, whereas a lot of former Vigil members are working under David Adams at Crytek Austin.

As much as I would love to see another Darksiders as a big fan of the series, it will be from another developer.

Dawg

Todd is here at Crytek HQ in Frankfurt, whereas a lot of former Vigil members are working under David Adams at Crytek Austin.

As much as I would love to see another Darksiders as a big fan of the series, it will be from another developer.

Yeah, I found that out a few minutes after I wrote the post :p Thanks for the double checking though :)

eXistor

I very much disliked D2, but it would be sad to see it end at 2. Who knows, maybe I'll come around if they nail it this time.

Ichabod

Banned
You may like loot-based gameplay, but you must understand that it is not proper for a series like Darksiders.

Darksiders 1: Oh elusive chest, how I long to reach you and have you reveal your secrets to me!

Darksiders 2: Meh another chest over there. What's the point. I will get better loot by killing some higher level monsters down the road which are a dime a dozen.

Conversely:

DS1- Oh look, another dungeon. Yawn, where's the one big chest that has that one item that will stay with me throughout the entire game and will either never change or get some gimmicky tweak to its properties. While it will have a vital role in helping me clear this dungeon, it will soon get dumped in my bag with all the other one-trick-pony tools I may or may not use again.

DS2- Ermagerd, every weapon and piece of armor that drops has the potential to profoundly change my playstyle at any minute! One minute ago I was a vampiric health-stealing assassin, now I'm wrecking faces with a high-crit ice build. Who knows what might drop around the next corner! Pull the lever on that loot slot machine baby!

It's ok to have set-in-stone dungeon items that add to gameplay and make puzzles interesting (hook-shot, bow, etc.) but there's no reason why weapons and armor can't have randomized drops that keep things fresh. Its the reason I've played through DS2 multiple times and haven't touched a Zelda game since TP.

Sentenza

Conversely:

DS1- Oh look, another dungeon. Yawn, where's the one big chest that has that one item that will stay with me throughout the entire game .
You said that as if it was a bad thing.
It's not, In fact it's exactly part of what makes finding treasures/weapons/upgrades A LOT more rewarding in games like Zelda (when they aren't fucking rupies) or Darksiders 1 (when they aren't just healing green orbs).

Conversely: "Oh god, I'm so glad I beaten this big boss, since it dropped this... uh, pointless random crap i could get anywhere else in the game world?"

BY2K

Membero Americo
Man this is great news. I loved both Darksiders 1 and 2 to death.

Also looking at the facebook post I see that Joe Madureira is thinking of continuing Battle Chasers. My god that would be amazing because Joe Madureira Battle Chasers #1 was one of the first comic books I ever bought with my own money. I chose it because I was fascinated with the artwork of the cover that I just had to pick it up. And once I read the first comic, I was hooked and bought the rest of them over time. Also if there ever was a comic back that I would like to be turned into a game, it would be Battle Chasers hands down.

God I love this art.

BCPoster_144_final.jpg

That's... uhh... one well-equipped lady in red on the right.

Ichabod

Banned
You said that as if it was a bad thing.
It's not, In fact it's exactly part of what makes finding trasures A LOT more rewarding in games like Zelda (when they aren't fucking rupies) or Darksiders 1 (when they aren't just healing green orbs).

Its a little too rote and formulaic for my liking, but different strokes and all that.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
RaggedFlawlessDachshund.gif

This needs to happen. And it even does not have to be 3rd person action adventure. As long as it is not some F2P portable game bullshit, I will be happy.

I need to know the context of that gif, it's driving me nuts. Can you post the Youtube video of it please.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I just hate that he's talking about this now, because there's no way it's gonna be at E3 this year. :(

I hope the new dev team understands that a Horseman of the Apocalypse shouldn't be an errand boy & having a huge world doesn't mean shit if it's empty.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Just no. Darksiders 2 is a great game. Very enjoyable.

I half think that the whole "DS 2 is boring" thing is just a viral meme that people are just mindlessly exaggerating and parroting. It was one of those games that I wanted to keep playing until I finished and I bore easily. There is no way in fuck that it is so objectively boring and dull that so many people hated it so. Instead, one small minority bashed the shit out of the game until it became cool to hate it.

I will admit that the story was not anywhere near as good as the 1st one, but there was enough RPG elements and loot to keep me addicted to powering up Death.

UrbanRats

I started Darksiders 2 earlier this month on the PC, and really disliked it. The prologue stage left such a bad taste in my mouth I haven't played it since. Hopefully they they continue making these games the next game is either more like Darksiders 1, or they just go in a wild new direction, like a run and gun action adventure game with Strife.

I'm in the opposite corner.. really disliked DS1, but enjoyed 2.
It gets long in the tooth though and the level on Earth is one of the stupidest things i've played in my gamer life.

Wolfie5

DS1 was great and I enjoyed playing it from beginning to the end. Fun game.

DS2 was ok in some parts, but it was reeeeally boooring to play. Halfway through I gave up playing it. 6 months later I got the will somehow to finish the game and I did. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Having said that I want a DS3, but I want it to be more like DS1 and also
I want the story to continue from the first game. I want to know what happens after that sudden ending in DS1.

sn00zer

3 words
Comic Book Sequel

:((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

No way in hell am i getting excited for this until i see a screen shot

KOCMOHABT

Then I hope they are working on something even cooler than Darksiders in the Austin studio (and hopefully not working on Warface for X360 or something)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
RaggedFlawlessDachshund.gif

This needs to happen. And it even does not have to be 3rd person action adventure. As long as it is not some F2P portable game bullshit, I will be happy.

that is the PERFECT gif for my reaction to this news

I need to know the context of that gif, it's driving me nuts. Can you post the Youtube video of it please.

his client, Brock Lesnar, broke the Undertaker's streak

sn00zer

From what I can tell your job is to tell forums that Crytek is not working on Darksiders

Com_Raven

From what I can tell your job is to tell forums that Crytek is not working on Darksiders

That is not the official job title- was sadly too long for business cards^^ But no, I am just drawn to Darksiders 3 speculation out of personal interest, since I really enjoyed both of them.

And there is still a lot on confusion on the web about who owns the IP- I get asked often if we are working on a DS3.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
After Darksiders 2 I don't even know if I want a Darksiders 3. The only thing that felt like an improvement over the original was the combat, the rest.. meh.

sn00zer

That is not the official job title- was sadly too long for business cards^^ But no, I am just drawn to Darksiders 3 speculation out of personal interest, since I really enjoyed both of them.

And there is still a lot on confusion on the web about who owns the IP- I get asked often if we are working on a DS3.

You uys could easily stop all the confusion if you just made Darksiders 3.....
Kidding of course, cant wai to see what you guys are cooking up with the Crytek Austin

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I half think that the whole "DS 2 is boring" thing is just a viral meme that people are just mindlessly exaggerating and parroting. It was one of those games that I wanted to keep playing until I finished and I bore easily. There is no way in fuck that it is so objectively boring and dull that so many people hated it so. Instead, one small minority bashed the shit out of the game until it became cool to hate it.

Yep. I agree with this. Lots of people are sheep.

I got DS1 for 5$ on the last sale and I already got stuck at the level where
you have to kill all these angels before the hammer guy gives you his hammer. I can't beat the angels. there's dozens of them!

Anyways, it's pretty fun. The combat system is pretty basic, but it has some fun puzzles.

I will admit that the story was not anywhere near as good as the 1st one, but there was enough RPG elements and loot to keep me addicted to powering up Death.

For me the loot system didn't feel great. Not bad by any means but I preferred the structure of the original when it came to equipment.

My biggest issue with the game, though, is that there were too many same-y dungeons in the game that didn't need to be there. You'd do like...three dungeons using the same concept every time you got a new ability before you got a new one, I found that really tedious and unnecessary.

The combat was quite fun though. I don't think it's a bad game but I think it's a very flawed one. The pacing is really off.

The super fun combat and systems in Darksiders 2 were enough to get me through the slower second half (combat was so much better than Darksiders 1). Game just played so well, one of the few games I've beaten and played through again immediately.

Overall it was a super inconsequential story and it was a huge bummer they didn't make a real sequel instead of a prequel/interquel. Doubt it would have saved THq, but it would have made me feel better at least.

But if they're making a third, FUCK YEAH! Please actually be a real followup to DS1 and not another side story thing. I don't care that much about making a Strife/Fury specific game, just give me the ability to play all of them and stop being a cocktease!

Darksiders 2 is the best western developed action game*, and some of the Zelda elements (an overworld and minor sidequests in place of a mission select menu) are a real benefit to the genre.

I could do without the kitchen sink approach with RPG skills and loot with stats and elements and stuff.

*That didn't have Itsuno attempting to salvage it.

I don't mind playing Death again but seriously ditch the loot system and go for the traditional Zelda route again. It's one of my most despised aspect from the last game and it serves almost no purpose other than to pad an already padded world to begin with.

AU Tiger

I freakin LOVED DS1 but despite putting a few hours into DS2, really couldn't get into it nearly as much as I did DS1.

I think the overly ambitious open world aspect of DS1 was what kinda dulled the experience for me. I honestly would have preferred a tighter driven story with more limited world exploration capabilities.

Either way, I don't think DS2 was a BAD game by any stretch... I just didn't enjoy it as much as DS1 and sadly, never went back to playing it after that brief stretch release week.

sn00zer

Darksiders should really be hailed or their incredible boss fights, especially 2 (outside of the final battle for whatever reason)
the
Samael
fight was so fucking well done and quite hard on apocalypse difficulty

a.wd

This is one of the few games that I would pre-order, or would sub actual cash to a kick starter.

Fuck yeah

KissVibes

Banned

That's a bummer.

Unrelated question: Is HomeFront 2 still in development?

Top Bottom