• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#DarkSoulsDowngrade and #YOULIED \\ a.k.a You got some splainin' to do, Namco

Kinsei

Banned
You're mad that From didn't disclose changes, but you can't recognize the retail build by looking at it?

I haven't seen anything from the full game aside from the screenshots in the OP of the downgrade thread. How would I know if that was the retail build or just a really gray rainy area from the preview build?

Havel

Yep, especially when there *IS* footage of the PS360 release build in the Jan promo's linked in this thread.

Kinda quashes the whole "deceit" angle.

They released new footage of the game in outside areas and had no mention of their self proclaimed selling points being scrapped at that point. It was impossible to know unless you had access to the full game, and anyone who did was under NDA.

I never said anything about it being wrong. I think customers disappointed with the game should definitely petition Namco/From. I'm just saying that whatever they respond with most likely won't satisfy any curiousity regarding the details of why the game had to be altered.

And that's fine. At the very least it gets the community active and organized. Maybe not this time, but possibly in the future, we'll have a little bit more impact.

All I'm saying is doing nothing hurts all of us.

Even though i'm not interested in this game, i fully support this movement. The people that bought this deserved what they were promised when Namco showed the video.

Ahhh so close to being a thread backfire. Darn it!

Why can't you people just be happy? There always has to be so much drama around here. Like a previous poster said, I think people are just waiting around to complain about something. Its embarrassing.

OP, you might want to add this information to the first post:

This is the gameplay trailer currently being used to promote the game on Steam which uses the old (better) lighting and shading model:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ecITYi40tA

But if you're thinking that only the console versions have been downgraded, you might want to look at these images, which are also from the Dark Souls 2 steam page:

ss_1a14c59c1913f893214ac8f6aba9929ee97cb05e.600x338.jpg

ss_0429fae1aa460aa56061190bcaa0592169fca2a4.600x338.jpg

Broritos

Wow, I completely avoided Dark Souls 2 info until release because although I like the Souls games, I don't care THAT much about them. That being said, I believe I'm about half way thru the game, maybe I don't know but this whole time I wondering why they even put unlit lamps everywhere in the first place.

This actually makes me want to stop playing now until the PC release. Venturing thru these areas would've been way cooler and feel more dangerous had I actually needed a torch.

aznpxdd

How the hell are some people defending this practice from Namco? Completely messed up of Namco hyping up the new lighting system and conveniently removing it from the end-product without saying anything.

The Lamp

Why can't you people just be happy? There always has to be so much drama around here. Like a previous poster said, I think people are just waiting around to complain about something. Its embarrassing.

It sounds like you don't even know what this thread is about. This is about them continually marketing game features that aren't even in the game they're selling this week. Leave.

I haven't seen anything from the full game aside from the screenshots in the OP of the downgrade thread. How would I know if that was the retail build or just a really gray rainy area from the preview build?

So essentially, one of the most vocal protesters of this downgrade can't discern the difference between the pre-launch build and the retail build.

That's why I much rather hear from people playing the game regarding this issue because it keeps unwanted hyperbole from detracting from this exceptional game's launch.

I agree with Xander Cage's points above ^, having sconces in the tutorial that have no purpose is just disappointing but luckily it seems superlative at best when compared to the overall game mechanics, level structure, enemies, exploration, etc that is built into the game.

atr0cious

So we can have 20 page threads dedicated to 1080p vs 720p, which will never be news, but when a company straight lies up until release about the graphics, the thread should close?

Who is helped by this?

The game is good. Stop whining about the graphics.

You're missing the point completely. This isn't about how good or bad the game is. It's not even really about how good the visuals are anymore

Namco/FROM promoted their game showing off a brand new engine with great lighting that supposedly played a pivotal role in the combat and the overall mechanics in general only to completely change or remove it from the game.

redwolflim

Neo Member
Actually, Bandai Namco = eastern EA

To be honest, I didn't follow the graphic presentation/hype before, but I would be surprised if PS3/Xbox 360 managed to pull out such details

They could've avoided the whole snafu if they had gone cross gen.

FROM aren't EA or Ubisoft, just getting 3 versions out was a massive undertaking for them. Besides I don't want 5 versions killing off multiplayer. I'm fricking sick of buying MP games that have been released on too many platforms for the player base to carry, so one platform dies off as everyone moves to one system, usually the version I don't have.

It's not as if FROM can't do crossplay between gens as the lighting and changes are too different. And MS won't do crossplay to none Xbox platforms anyway.

You're missing the point completely. This isn't about how good or bad the game is. It's not even really about how good the visuals are anymore

Namco/FROM promoted their game showing off a brand new engine with great lighting that supposedly played a pivotal role in the combat and the overall mechanics in general only to completely change or remove it from the game.

To be honest, forcing people to pick up a torch in every dark region of the game, when torches are on a timer, seems rather heavy handed and potentially intrusive.

Some people have two handed builds, or are archers, a torch mechanic may not work with every kind of player. It's entirely possible that From realized this mechanic was not equal or all players.

Colonial Marines didn't have a 90% Metacritic.

One of the hallmarks of internet ragefests is the hyperbole that comes with it, case in point comparing Dark Souls 2 to fucking Colonial Marines. You have to laugh at it, I guess.

It sounds like you don't even know what this thread is about. This is about them continually marketing game features that aren't even in the game they're selling this week. Leave.
It's easy to see that this thread is about a bunch if gamers organizing to throw a large hissy fit on Twitter because the game has different lighting than what they expected. C'mon the game looks fine. I cant believe that something so little could ruin your enjoyment of an IP that you really love. But go right ahead and I wish you luck to achieve whatever your purpose is.

Havel

Both versions at the same spot. Retail build does look a bit lighter? Not sure.

Retail build 3:25
Here

Preview build posted February 6 1:25
Here

Pretty sure that is just encoding differences.

Either way, nothing changes even if that is retail footage. They gave no mention that anything had changed and showed footage where you would not be able to tell unless you had access to the full game.

Manus

I still don't get the fuss about this. The game could look worse than a launch 360 game for all I care. It's a Souls game, I'm playing it for the awesome gameplay.

Pretty sure that is just encoding differences.

Either way, nothing changes even if that is retail footage. They gave no mention that anything had changed and showed footage where you would not be able to tell unless you had access to the full game.

I think at the very least they are doing a piss poor job of properly informing people what they are getting. One preview uses one build another use another, steam uses another. It's all over the place.

To be honest, forcing people to pick up a torch in every dark region of the game, when torches are on a timer, seems rather heavy handed and potentially intrusive.

Some people have two handed builds, or are archers, a torch mechanic may not work with every kind of player. It's entirely possible that From realized this mechanic was not equal or all players.

Whether that's true or not we'll never know. It's not really the point at hand though either

I still don't get the fuss about this. The game could look worse than a launch 360 game for all I care. It's a Souls game, I'm playing it for the awesome gameplay.

Again, not the point. The quality of the game isn't the point of contention here. Seems a lot of people are just wading into these threads and leaving their 2 cents without fully understanding what people are talking about or are so mad about in the first place

rashbeep

Banned
The weirdest thing about all this was that the original footage didn't look like something out of reach for even the PS3/360.

Colonial Marines didn't have a 90% Metacritic.

I already tried to address this in my previous post, but I'll say it again: whether or not the game is still good has nothing to do with this. Nothing. Zip. Nada. Other things being good does not mean it's not worth pointing out things that are less good. Do we have to unconditionally love every episode of our favorite TV show? Do we even have to love every single aspect of our favorite episode?

I don't think you'll find much argument here: Dark Souls 2 is good. However, it has a pretty glaring problem: the removal of a much-touted lighting system that was meant to be a core mechanic of the game. To be honest, I don't even mind that they removed it - what I mind is the total silence on the subject leading up to release, and the fact that the decision to change the lighting was so last minute that FROM left remnants of the system in plain sight. I keep harping on the sconces torches, but seriously: apart from one area of the game, there is no need to ever use a torch, even though they're clearly supposed to be a central feature.

Torches have their own dedicated inventory slot and resource management (time) system, and sconces are everywhere. As I mentioned in a previous post, there is a rare item that can be wasted on a reward of a giant torch in a relatively early area that is useless in the final build because you could see everything just fine anyway. There's zero stress involved in managing torch time because you can easily acquire 50+ minutes of burn time, as there is nothing to use the torches for. All of this remains, yet none of it really does anything.

Dark Souls 2 is good. That doesn't mean we should turn a blind eye to what was obviously a rushed, poor decision.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
At this point this is just more fuel, but I feel any moran would be able to tell that first .gif is sure as shit not the same hardware we've been playing games on since 2006.

That's far more unforgivable than just cutting back for optimization, like you've been implying they did. If you think even a layperson should be able to know that isn't footage of a PS3/360 game, then there's no reason for Namco and From to lie about what the game would look like on those consoles.

Jedi2016

Watching Angry Joe's stream right now, and the outside portions don't seem to have any lighting to speak of. It's just 100% ambient lighting, a la PS1 days.

Top Bottom