• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#DarkSoulsDowngrade and #YOULIED \\ a.k.a You got some splainin' to do, Namco

The Lamp

It's easy to see that this thread is about a bunch if gamers organizing to throw a large hissy fit on Twitter because the game has different lighting than what they expected. C'mon the game looks fine. I cant believe that something so little could ruin your enjoyment of an IP that you really love. But go right ahead and I wish you luck to achieve whatever your purpose is.

You really don't get it lol. It's not just about the way it looks. It looks like a ps2 games at times, but it's still a fun game. I am playing through it.

The point is the lighting engine they talked about is practically absent. This means torches have almost no purpose in most areas of the game, which was a significant game mechanic they've advertised since it was revealed. Using torches to light the dark areas made you decide whether to use the torch or keep a shield/weapon in that hand to progress. You had to move cautiously. That is completely gone from the game now. There's no real darkness. You can see everything. But there's still unlit torches left around the game that are completely unnecessary as vestigial relics of them basically removing this gameplay feature without telling anyone.

It would be one thing if it just looked shittier. It does but that's not all. It actually is missing what was marketed as a critical game design feature with no mention until the game was already shipped to stores.

So we can have 20 page threads dedicated to 1080p vs 720p, which will never be news, but when a company straight lies up until release about the graphics, the thread should close?

Who is helped by this?

I think those threads about resolutions are ridiculous.

And I never said the thread should close. By all means do your thing. I just wish you guys could enjoy the game for what it is. Had this lighting been shown the whole time you would have never cared about it so why let it ruin the game for you now?

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Honestly, I thought either Y2Kev made the topic or modded the title.

I remember the deal with the lightning affecting gameplay. I'm not gonna say I'm disappointed it's not there, I don't like the Souls games, but they deserve to get called out. They should know their fanbase is a percentage of hardcore fans.

Yet they continued to advertise parts of the game that were not present due to these 'changes'.

because it would generate bad press, possible loss of sales and disrupt the hype train.

Like I keep saying if the PC version doesn't look like that then people are really gonna be pissed at them. If it does look like that then they will probably just say "oh yeah it was PC footage before"

Wensih

After we're all done complaining about the lighting, let's go enjoy a good Whopper from Burger King. The burgers always look exactly like the advertisement. After we're done complaining about Dark Souls II and eating good nourishing food, we can can go back to enjoying Dark Souls II.

doublewhopper.jpg

At this point this is just more fuel, but I feel any moran would be able to tell that first .gif is sure as shit not the same hardware we've been playing games on since 2006.

Yeah they honestly should have never showed that footage that they probably made with PC as the lead and realized "oh wait...this isn't gonna work.".

akira28

At this point this is just more fuel, but I feel any moran would be able to tell that first .gif is sure as shit not the same hardware we've been playing games on since 2006.

Maybe not, but I'm getting a sinking feeling that PC won't have this either. And I will not be happy...

Manus

Whether that's true or not we'll never know. It's not really the point at hand though either

Again, not the point. The quality of the game isn't the point of contention here. Seems a lot of people are just wading into these threads and leaving their 2 cents without fully understanding what people are talking about or are so mad about in the first place

Oh you mean the false advertising? The same false advertising that is in almost every TV/food ad? It happens. The game was clearly an early build and they changed some stuff. Games change quite a lot in development. People really need to understand that.

Foaloal

I don't think anybody is really raging or up in arms over this so the "anti-movement" seems unnecessary.

Personally I understand that games are subject to change up until release, and even afterwards these days, but this change just seems confusing.

From what I understand the PS3 beta builds were much closer to the trailer builds, so if that's the case it is strange that things were changed and downgraded in many areas.

Ultimately I think we will all understand if it was due to performance issues, but I feel that at the least we deserve some clarification on why things changed so dramatically and why there are apparently screenshots of a different engine on the box.

I was really impressed with the graphics I saw in the trailers. I thought to myself they seemed like a massive leap from Dark Souls 1, and I was surprised they could apparently run on the now last gen consoles.

Seeing the screenshots now from the retail build it seems that they are about equal to Dark Souls 1 at best. In several ways they actually seem inferior to DS1, though I haven't done a comprehensive side by side comparison.

I really hope the "increased texture resolution" on the PC version really means things will be closer to the engine that I was impressed by in the trailers.

Ultimately I don't think anyone is angry, but I do feel a bit confused about the changes and a bit disappointed that the graphics aren't the huge step up they appeared to be. I think most of us will still play and enjoy the game, but it would be nice to know what happened to the old engine.

Jarate

Banned
You really don't get it lol. It's not just about the way it looks. It looks like a ps2 games at times, but it's still a fun game. I am playing through it.

The point is the lighting engine they talked about is practically absent. This means torches have almost no purpose in most areas of the game, which was a significant game mechanic they've advertised since it was revealed. Using torches to light the dark areas made you decide whether to use the torch or keep a shield/weapon in that hand to progress. You had to move cautiously. That is completely gone from the game now. There's no real darkness. You can see everything. But there's still unlit torches left around the game that are completely unnecessary as vestigial relics of them basically removing this gameplay feature without telling anyone.

It would be one thing if it just looked shittier. It does but that's not all. It actually is missing what was marketed as a critical game design feature with no mention until the game was already shipped to stores.

I found Torches to be incredibly helpful
in the gutter and subsequent areas

Sure you can still kind of see ahead, but you're visibility is incredibly limited. Plus you can't target things that well

rashbeep

Banned

Lol just noticed your post above mine. And yea I honestly don't see anything about the first footage that looks impossible on those consoles. I mean at least keep the art direction intact, if you have to lower some on-screen assets.

Havel

I just want to know the status of the PC version.

I mentioned this in the OP as this is something a lot of people want to know. They have videos on the Steam page from the reveal footage advertising the game. Pretty damn shoddy if you ask me.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That's far more unforgivable than just cutting back for optimization, like you've been implying they did. If you think even a layperson should be able to know that isn't footage of a PS3/360 game, then there's no reason for Namco and From to lie about what the game would look like on those consoles.
I don't get where this "core feature" line comes from either. Whatever, I don't want to call everyone who's not me an idiot. Personally I see noting but "cutting back for optimziation". I mean, what else do you call it?

Oh you mean the false advertising? The same false advertising that is in almost every TV/food ad? It happens. The game was clearly an early build and they changed some stuff. Games change quite a lot in development. People really need to understand that.

People do understand that.

atr0cious

Had this lighting been shown the whole time you would have never cared about it so why let it ruin the game for you now?
What does this sentence mean?

Have you read the thread at all?

I already tried to address this in my previous post, but I'll say it again: whether or not the game is still good has nothing to do with this. Nothing. Zip. Nada. Other things being good does not mean it's not worth pointing out things that are less good. Do we have to unconditionally love every episode of our favorite TV show? Do we even have to love every single aspect of our favorite episode?

I don't think you'll find much argument here: Dark Souls 2 is good. However, it has a pretty glaring problem: the removal of a much-touted lighting system that was meant to be a core mechanic of the game. To be honest, I don't even mind that they removed it - what I mind is the total silence on the subject leading up to release, and the fact that the decision to change the lighting was so last minute that FROM left remnants of the system in plain sight. I keep harping on the sconces torches, but seriously: apart from one area of the game, there is no need to ever use a torch, even though they're clearly supposed to be a central feature.

Torches have their own dedicated inventory slot and resource management (time) system, and sconces are everywhere. As I mentioned in a previous post, there is a rare item that can be wasted on a reward of a giant torch in a relatively early area that is useless in the final build because you could see everything just fine anyway. There's zero stress involved in managing torch time because you can easily acquire 50+ minutes of burn time, as there is nothing to use the torches for. All of this remains, yet none of it really does anything.

Dark Souls 2 is good. That doesn't mean we should turn a blind eye to what was obviously a rushed, poor decision.

People want what they were promised, that's it. If you like companies being able to lie to you, you should just move along, because people in this thread want some accountability.

maybe the real graphics will be released when they do a ps4 version?

i mean it's a large scope game on ps3/360 which are like 7-8 years old now lol

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So we should only criticize bait-and-switch tactics if the game is panned?

If something is critically acclaimed then how significant can the "problem" be?

It undermines the complainants position, making their argument seem petty and specious under the circumstances.

The Lamp

If you wanna see how bad some of the downgraded areas are, check this out from the other thread.

Found footage of the mansion of the dragons. There's no way anybody anywhere can't claim this game hasn't been completely gutted. Just look at this shit, LOOK AT THIS SHIT:

0auru02.png

0bq2ura.png

1a67u94.png

1bnwu16.png

2ad9u9b.png

2bp2uhl.png

3a1zun3.png

3b8bug1.png

4apku5b.png

4bbljpc.png

5aecuyc.png

5bosug5.png

6a0purt.png

6bd8uov.png

7ateukc.png

7bkkubu.png

8ai8u2g.png

8bddu5a.png

LOOK AT THE PLAYER'S SHADOW

4bbljpc.png

picard-wtf-bigi3k9x.jpg

atr0cious

After we're all done complaining about the lighting, let's go enjoy a good Whopper from Burger King. The burgers always look exactly like the advertisement. After we're done complaining about Dark Souls II and eating good nourishing food, we can can go back to enjoying Dark Souls II.

doublewhopper.jpg
So Burger King is now good food?

Think about that, you just equated Dark Souls II, to shitty fast food. If Dark souls was $2, this thread wouldn't exist though.

Randdalf

Why in the third GIF in the OP, is the character not carrying the torch? It seems rather inconsistent to make such a comparison when you're not even doing it in the same conditions, especially when the middle one is being recorded off-screen.

Understanding it is not the same as being ok with it. Especially since they never mentioned scaling back the game nor did they change their stance on their marketing or promotion of the game. They still sold the game under the old build

Jarate

Banned
If you wanna see how bad some of the downgraded areas are, check this out from the other thread.

not to be devils advocates but those screenshots are all horribly compressed and look like absolute ass

the lighting has been downgraded though, although, the Torch lighting was really good when I used it.

If they had to cut that much from the builds they were showing and the game still runs like shit, how much of a train wreck was it before?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I don't get where this "core feature" line comes from either. Whatever, I don't want to call everyone who's not me an idiot. Personally I see noting but "cutting back for optimziation". I mean, what else do you call it?

I don't know whether it was a core feature, I didn't play any of the beta or follow the coverage closely enough to know about how the torch was used. I'd call it what it is though. Dishonesty and lying to present the product as better than it actually is. And I think that's something that shouldn't be accepted, whether it is a minor aspect of the game or not.

Gbraga

"Changes were made during development due to performance issues".

It would be that simple if there wasn't a PC version to come out. If performance was the only reason, at least the lighting has to come back for the PC version, since the game is still clearly designed for it, they didn't redesign the torch centered dungeons, just made them brighter so you wouldn't need it.

enoki

I understand being upset by the changes in lighting, though I personally am not concerned; but I don't understand how everyone continues to post that torches are useless.
I've found a fair number of secrets that were hidden by torches, and mobs react pretty interestingly to them, as well. There are even still areas that are incredibly dark. Turn your brightness down.

BPoole

Meet me a Mickey D's, man

2573240-xbox_launchmcdonalds.gif

Seriously though, false/purposefully misleading advertising is getting out of hand, and I definitely don't have gripes with people being upset about this.

koryuken

I love DS2 and I think its a good game. I do not think its ok for FROM/NAMCO to show bullshit builds up to release and then have graphics/features suddenly removed for the retail. Fuck the haters, I will do my part. Sign me up for #YouLied.

The Lamp

not to be devils advocates but those screenshots are all horribly compressed and look like absolute ass

the lighting has been downgraded though, although, the Torch lighting was really good when I used it.

They could be avatar resolution and it would still be easy to see the difference. I can see it easily as thumbnails on my phone.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
If something is critically acclaimed then how significant can the "problem" be?

It undermines the complainants position, making their argument seem petty and specious under the circumstances.

They aren't doing you a favor by releasing the game; they're offering a product, which they want your money for. It's not petty to be promised something in a product, give money based on your overall want for that product (which is influenced by the promise), and then complain because the promise never materialized.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know whether it was a core feature, I didn't play any of the beta or follow the coverage closely enough to know about how the torch was used. I'd call it what it is though. Dishonesty and lying to present the product as better than it actually is. And I think that's something that shouldn't be accepted, whether it is a minor aspect of the game or not.

Inconsistency between prelease and "final" software should absolutely be accepted. I won't say it should be expected, but I will heavily imply that those who don't expect it are naive. Would Dark Souls2 be better with that uber HDR lighting! Hell yeah? Was anyone swindled out of there money purely by now broken promise more defined shadows? No.

Jarate

Banned
They could be avatar resolution and it would still be easy to see the difference. I can see it easily as thumbnails on my phone.

It gives people a bad idea of what the game looks like though, which is why Im kind of against them

But there were lighting downgrades

legacyzero

Banned
This is such a damn shame. The game looked incredible. I wonder if they are saving it for the "Definitive Version?"

I hope the PC has some of these bells and whistles.

koryuken

Inconsistency between prelease and "final" software should absolutely be accepted. I won't say it should be expected, but I will heavily imply that those who don't expect it are naive. Would Dark Souls2 be better with that uber HDR lighting! Hell yeah? Was anyone swindled out of there money purely by now broken promise more defined shadows? No.

So you would be ok with Sony showing the CGI "Killzone 2 E3 trailer" up until release and then releasing a game with PS2 graphics and missing features? Got it...

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Inconsistency between prelease and "final" software should absolutely be accepted. I won't say it should be expected, but I will heavily imply that those who don't expect it are naive. Would Dark Souls2 be better with that uber HDR lightingt? Hell yeah? Was anyone swindled out of there money purely by now broken promise more defined shadows? No.

Inconsistency is one thing, but you said yourself

Jtwo said:

It's an entirely different subject if we're saying that they had something they were working on six months ago, found out it didn't work, and then ditched it. That happens, that's development. This is blatant lying though. If you don't even think it's conceivable that the game in the first gif is a 360/PS3 game, why the hell should anybody accept when the publisher and developer go around telling people that's exactly what it is? This isn't an issue of features or gameplay aspects being talked about at a trade show, these videos were put out in the past two months. They knew that the game wouldn't look or work that way, and they led people to believe that it would.

Top Bottom