• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Sim Community Game-Along: A waifu for you, A husbando for me!

sensui-tomo

Thanks for the impressions.
Think I might have to stay away from YU-NO though if it's that long. Reminds me of If my Heart Had Wings which took me like 20 hours for one route (At least felt that much).

I'd say try the muv-luv extra/unlimited to alternative route over yu-no if you're time restrained,(yeah gonna tell ya that yu-no involves multiple playthroughs. like VLR for the 3ds/vita if you ever played that however for muv luv extra you only need 2 precise endings to get muv luv unlimited(Which is still easier to do than all of yu-no)

Jawmuncher

I'd say try the muv-luv extra/unlimited to alternative route over yu-no if you're time restrained,(yeah gonna tell ya that yu-no involves multiple playthroughs. like VLR for the 3ds/vita if you ever played that however for muv luv extra you only need 2 precise endings to get muv luv unlimited(Which is still easier to do than all of yu-no)

Yep will definitely go for Muv-Luv then.
I have played VLR so that puts it into perspective in terms of the multiple playthroughs needed.

I actually wouldn't mind one of these in English. Shame we will never get one. Closest I have to something like this is Rune Factory.

Yep will definitely go for Muv-Luv then.
I have played VLR so that puts it into perspective in terms of the multiple playthroughs needed.
Be warned that Muv Luv Extra/Unlimited/Alternative are extremely long and that Extra isn't very good. The payoff is worth it though.

Yuuichi

Which of these games will fit for this thread?
Also which of these games even if they don't fit are worth playing?

Grisaia no Kajitsu
G-senjnou no Maou
Little Busters
Muv-Luv Alternative
Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo
Swan Song
Tsukihime
Umineko Chiru
Utawarerumono
YU-NO

Loved:
G-senjou
Little Busters
Sharin

Hated:
Grisaia (second worst VN I've ever played)

Can't comment on the rest.

sensui-tomo

Be warned that Muv Luv Extra/Unlimited/Alternative are extremely long and that Extra isn't very good. The payoff is worth it though.
they are long but not YU-NO long... and yeah Extra plays out like your normal dating sim/like game... but you must play in this sequence Extra(two main endings) -> unlimited(just any ending will do) -> ALTERNATIVE(have fun and ... <_< i'd really like to put that meme picture here )

Annubis

Hmmm... is it time for me to go back to the classic of the classic?
The first Dating Sim I ever played?

1022229-true_love_title.png

Highly recommended BTW

bigkrev

Guess I should throw out their that if your down with dudes on dudes, Enzai and Absolute Obedience are both out in English from Jast, and both are pretty good! Just know that Enzai is a pretty intense game with prison rape, if thats something that is too much for you

Linkark07

Banned
Which of these games will fit for this thread?
Also which of these games even if they don't fit are worth playing?

Grisaia no Kajitsu
G-senjnou no Maou
Little Busters
Muv-Luv Alternative
Swan Song
Tsukihime
Umineko Chiru
Utawarerumono
YU-NO

G-senjou, Little Busters and Sharin no Kuni are must read. Tsukihime is also good.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Some of the games mentioned aren't so much "dating sims" but rather VN's. The problem is that we never got many dating sims (if any non-adult ones) in English.

A classic archetype of the dating sim game genre is Tokimeki Memorial.

EgkQTJi.gif

ohlawd

only game I can participate with is Rune Factory 4. And that game is straight up overwhelming. If I can buy Harvest Moon: A New Beginning off the eShop for $20, I'd play that.

The rest are all eroge :3

sensui-tomo

Hmmm... is it time for me to go back to the classic of the classic?
The first Dating Sim I ever played?

1022229-true_love_title.png

Highly recommended BTW
Oh boy that game, talk about a blast from the past, still very good.. although i never got the reason they said knickers all the time(just call them panties)

Also wondering, was tokimeki memorial ever made in english, patch or otherwise?

Soulhouf

Okay, after discussing with some people to decide which game I will play, these 3 came out:

- Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling
- Sakura Taisen 1
- Sweet Fuse

I really want to play Steins;Gate Hiyoku Renri no Darling but since I only ordered it today, I won't be able to start it before at least 10 days.
Among the 2 remaining options which I already have, Sweet Fuse seems to be the less offensive one.

I can't decide. This is gonna be a torture -_-

apricot

I suppose Bioware games count in too, then?

I'm just playing Mass Effect 2. Garrus romance, here I come!

Sure! I'm really more interested in celebrating games that have a heavy focus on romance than debating what fits into the theme and what doesn't.

Sure, Bioware games aren't traditional "dating sims" by any means, but I definitely think they incorporate some of those elements! I'd love to see more western developers doing stuff like that

Ah, thank you for this thread! I have a huge passion for visual novels, otomes, ect.

As for english games I almost finished Hakuoki for 3DS. Lately I haven't been playing it though. I've played the PSP version a year ago. If only the PS3 version was coming out this month it'd be nice timing. Steins;Gate is going to be out in english in like 2 months or so too.

As for Japanese I somewhat recently had been playing Brothers Conflict (PSP). I've played through most of the Starry Sky series too. They're great but just more school life and not the best story if you're looking for plot.

I love Amnesia (PSP) too, it has a nice fantasy like story so I have hopes for the Vita version getting a localizing maybe. So many otome games for PSP so I know only the Vita versions will have a chance at localization this time around.

Aside from otomes or bishoujo what about BLs? Dramatical Murder is one of my favorites. It has a great plot, nice characters, and perfect music.

Ahh yes another otome/BL fan!! I'm not sure why I didn't mention many BL games in my original post (I do name-drop Absolute Obedience)... I think I was going for a more "easily accessible" sample for people new to romance games, and BL is maybe a bit too hardcore for some ;)

I just got Amnesia V, and it's my first time playing an Amnesia game, so I'm very excited for that!

Guess I should throw out their that if your down with dudes on dudes, Enzai and Absolute Obedience are both out in English from Jast, and both are pretty good! Just know that Enzai is a pretty intense game with prison rape, if thats something that is too much for you

Yes! Both great picks, especially since there's pretty much nothing else of that ~persuasion~ available in English

oni_saru

Looks like it's finally time for me to sit down and play Hadaka Shitsuji.

haha oh lord not THAT one :'D :'D

well looks like the perfect time for me to finally start Togainu no Chi. maybe also go though my bl VN backlog.

also get more routes in Sweet Fuse, Hakuoki, DMMd :3 it's gonna be an otome filled month :3

Kamion

It was quite hard to decide what to play this month when I heard about this.

At first I thought I'd just play Chaos;Head Love ChuChu, because C;H is phenomenal and I have that fandisk sitting around on my shelf... but I kind of wanted to play an otome game.
Which made the choice easy because the only unplayed otome game I have lying around is Otometeki Koi Kakumei Love Revo!! This game it is then! Time to diet in order to get hot guys.

If I can actually finish it, I might just get School Wars or Norn9...

Also thanks, thread, for reminding me that I still need to get the Vita verion of Amagami. And all these other otome games/VNs I skipped lately. Ugh.

McNum

Hm, would The Sims count for the "otherwise" category? It's definitely not in the visual novel style, but it most certainly is a simulator with dating. And love triangles. And jealousy. And fury. Hell hath no fury as a Sim scorned.

Juggling multiple relationships in that game can be very tricky, especially since the game will count you as cheating if you even look at more than one Sim in a romantic manner. But I'm not entirely sure about playing a total Don Juan Sim and sharing it with the world...

Taruranto

Little Busters

KEYAIDS

Muv-Luv Alternative

Meh, overated.

Decent.

P.S.

Swan Song

Excellent. Apocalyptic lord-of-the-flies scenarios, even the h-scenes are more tolerable than usual since it's more like a book than your "pick the heroine VN"
mc even gets in a relationship pretty early
. Multiple point of views.

Porkslope Turkeyhandle Tsukihime

Decent, but aged terribly. OST is atrocious and and Near Side is reverse Twilight. At least you can patch the Mollusks Bad Nesu Sex scenes out of the game.

Umineko Chiru

3haNvZ9.jpg

First half is great sci-fi mystery if you can withstand the contstant pantsu shoots the game throw at you (they are literally in EVERY CG) Also game is unplayable without a walkthrought.

Second half game goes to shit, and it turns into a giant fetish fuel with stupid infodumps

cj_iwakura

Okay, after discussing with some people to decide which game I will play, these 3 came out:

- Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling
- Sakura Taisen 1
- Sweet Fuse

I really want to play Steins;Gate Hiyoku Renri no Darling but since I only ordered it today, I won't be able to start it before at least 10 days.
Among the 2 remaining options which I already have, Sweet Fuse seems to be the less offensive one.

I can't decide. This is gonna be a torture -_-

I would love to play the Steins;Gate game. I hope it gets fan translated or even officially released next.

My first dating sim was either Sakura Wars or Growlanser II(if that counts).

apricot

Hm, would The Sims count for the "otherwise" category? It's definitely not in the visual novel style, but it most certainly is a simulator with dating. And love triangles. And jealousy. And fury. Hell hath no fury as a Sim scorned.

Juggling multiple relationships in that game can be very tricky, especially since the game will count you as cheating if you even look at more than one Sim in a romantic manner. But I'm not entirely sure about playing a total Don Juan Sim and sharing it with the world...

Sounds like a fun time to me! I totally don't see anything wrong with choosing The Sims. The more diversity the better, imo! I'd love to see an account of how your character's relationships pan out over the month.

&#8211;&#8211;

So if anyone's curious, I'm planning on playing Amnesia V (Japanese otome game) and Katawa Shoujo (started last year but never finished). I'd also like to play a few of my PSone and PS2 games and hopefully stream them, but I can't decide what to play yet... And then I'd like to try a few indie English dating sim games, as well! It's going to be a busy month!

FYI, Sentimental Graffiti is a great classic bishojo game for the PSone that you can get on NA PSN, if anyone's interested! (edit: import PSN classic I mean, it's the Japanese version that's available on NA PSN)

Soulhouf

I would love to play the Steins;Gate game. I hope it gets fan translated or even officially released next.

My first dating sim was either Sakura Wars or Growlanser II(if that counts).

I never played a pure dating sim game before and the few games I played that have dating sim elements in them, I didn't really like that aspect because it usually was very cliché and the girls you date are stereotypes.
This is probably my only chance to play this kind of games, so I will try to play them as much as I can without quitting.

Seeing how popular the original Steins;Gate is, Hiyoku Renri no Darling will very probably get translated. It seems to be good, so I'm really excited to play it.

Meanwhile I will try Sweet Fuse since I already have it.

So if anyone's curious, I'm planning on playing Amnesia V (Japanese otome game) and Katawa Shoujo (started last year but never finished). I'd also like to play a few of my PSone and PS2 games and hopefully stream them, but I can't decide what to play yet... And then I'd like to try a few indie English dating sim games, as well! It's going to be a busy month!

FYI, Sentimental Graffiti is a great classic bishojo game for the PSone that you can get on NA PSN, if anyone's interested! (edit: import PSN classic I mean, it's the Japanese version that's available on NA PSN)

Oh, you remind me that I already have Sentimental Graffiti and 2 of the Favorite Dear games. I need to try those and I'm really tempted to get Amnesia V as well.
This is all your fault Apricot /o\

Finally settled on a game.

BfZSOJoCYAAR9d_.jpg

Figure this is gonna be my first otome game, so I might as well go for the big one, right? =P I'll prob stream a lot of it too.

cj_iwakura

I own the LE of Tokimeki Memorial for the Saturn. It was only like $40 once, so I indulged.

I never actually finished, but I got really far last time I tried. Not bad considering I winged it.

Jawmuncher

Shurayuki

I was wondering why you said Vita for a second, and then found out a Vita version launched yesterday. >>

I actually looked for it a week or two ago on the PS Store, having played one or two character routes on the PSP version, but ended up getting PhotoKano Kiss instead.

Anyway, nice set of characters, especially the main; she was surprising, in a good way.

Ya playin' LovePlus?

Figured I'd have to maybe get into it again with plus&#12301; releasing et all, but I'm scared of &#12388;&#12435;&#12388;&#12435; Rinko&#65294;

This isn't my type of game at all.
But I need to participate since I promised Anne that I will.
I don't want it to be a punishment for me, so please suggest something that I could appreciate u_u

Since Saya no Uta apparently counts, go play that. Just be prepared to not sleep for the rest of your life.

oni_saru

Sweet Fuse is an excellent game FYI. I recently wrote a review for it in the OT.

I'm also really hoping that Bakumatsu Rock for the PSP gets brought over.

Yeah Sweet Fuse is great. I was pretty surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I'm still going through the other routes. Mitarashi was my first boo and my favorite. The others just can't compare to him~

I too hope we get bakumatsu rock. that game looks fantastic.

on topic: started Togainu no Chi.... man already some f-ed up things in this game. :O and it's kinda long. haven't met Shiki yet. He's the one I'm gonna try to woo.

apricot

Oh, you remind me that I already have Sentimental Graffiti and 2 of the Favorite Dear games. I need to try those and I'm really tempted to get Amnesia V as well.
This is all your fault Apricot /o\

Heh heh heh XD;; I don't know how you'd like Amnesia V since I haven't played much of it yet, but I have to say, once you play a visual novel on the Vita it's hard to go back to PSP!

Is Da Capo acceptable, apricot?

Of course! Go for it!

Currently I'm most excited about the games Coming Out on Top and Super Health Club. They are both gay, adult only, dating sim games made for the English market, slated to release later this year. The first of their kind in the west I believe.

Ohmigosh I haven't heard of these! Definitely going to keep them on my radar!

Yeah Sweet Fuse is great. I was pretty surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I'm still going through the other routes. Mitarashi was my first boo and my favorite. The others just can't compare to him~

I too hope we get bakumatsu rock. that game looks fantastic.
Mitarashi is the best. It's a scientific fact.

Bakumatsu Rock MUST happen.

Ohmigosh I haven't heard of these! Definitely going to keep them on my radar!
Yeah, I'm really excited about them. As I mentioned, both very adult, so I don't know how much we can talk about them on GAF, but I'd love if they got some more attention.

Now I want to play it... How long is a single playthrough?
It's really fun, and the characters are totally awesome. (Well, most of them.)

CrovaxPSO

I actually just bought a bunch of older dating sims for the Saturn and Playstation on eBay, but not all of them have come in yet since some are coming from Japan. I bought:

Tokimeki Memorial ~forever with you~
Tokimeki Memorial 4 (PSP)
Doukyuusei if
Sentimental Graffiti
Ojyousama Express

Still waiting on:

Tokimeki Memorial 2
Kakyuusei
Doukyuusei 2
Kojin Kyouju (not really a dating sim, more like a tutoring sim?)

I've tried out each of the ones that have come in so far but haven't decided which to play first. I'll probably start at the beginning with Tokimeki Memorial. Part of the reason I'm playing them is to improve my Japanese, so I'm hoping that I don't get stuck on the language too badly.

Edit: I also just paid for my order with Amagami for the Vita. so that should arrive next week as well.

Top Bottom