• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Hayter not reprising his role as Snake in Metal Gear Solid 5? Statement

You guys. Seriously. You guys.

13647560552213skv3.png

Bunch of marks.

I'm not going to call you an assh*le for getting my hopes up... but I will say well played you jerkhole.

Dremark

Banned
Paul Eiding is not going to be back to voice this young a guy:

He was voiced by David Arganov in Portable Ops instead.

Its for the Vita tutorial changes, the dates match up perfectly. Its not really such a huge job worth listing on a sound studios website because its like 3-4 lines at most, while the rest of the games on that project will be old recordings.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly Kojima said that Cambell will no longer appear in the series following the death of his VA Takeshi Aono.

So which would be worse? The new Snake VA trying to emulate Hayter's Snake or a totally new Snake voice that isn't recognizable at all?

Trike

Whenever people post quotes like this I cant help but think you sound full of yourself.

Well then clearly you need help, because I was genuinely unsure and wanted input from others on it. I am also curious to see other examples of people who are full of themselves in these situations.

Vamphuntr

So which would be worse? The new Snake VA trying to emulate Hayter's Snake or a totally new Snake voice that isn't recognizable at all?

The first one would be hilariously awful since Kojima's reasoning is that he wants something new/different. To boot Hayter only to have someone emulate his voice would be a really low blow.

MAX PAYMENT

Well then clearly you need help, because I was genuinely unsure and wanted input from others on it. I am also curious to see other examples of people who are full of themselves in these situations.
Wow. That went waaaay over your head didn't it? He's talking about kojima sounding full of himself, not you. Lmao

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
How would Japanese respond if they said they replaced the original Japanese actor? just curious

Trike

Wow. That went waaaay over your head didn't it? He's talking about kojima sounding full of himself, not you. Lmao

Well fuck the police. It didn't make sense, because I posted a quote. Kojima just talked about the theme of a song and didn't quote it.

web01

Dude I wasn't talking about you.

Its like when people post quotes on Facebook or whatever as a way of thinking they are smart / justifying themselves.
It makes me think they are full of themselves.

Kojima should justify himself / make his point in his own words instead of posting vague quotes alluding to things.

Niwa

They seem to be the only ones, everyone else wants my head.

Well you played with the fire. Okay more like the hopes of these people. Lol. I had my hopes crushed aswell, but I was at fault as doubt and a little research would've saved me from a broken heart..

Hayter posted a more detailed comment of the situation.

David Hayter said:
I have been up in Toronto, for the past eight months, directing my first film, (WOLVES -- 2013, TF1/COPPERHEART). On the December break, I came home to Los Angeles for the holidays. I heard then, that recording sessions for MG:V were being put together.

But I didn’t hear anything about whether I’d be needed or not.

So, I got in touch with someone involved in the production. We got together for lunch, and he told me that they "wouldn’t be needing me" on this game. No reason, or explanation was given beyond that.

And that was it.

I drove home through Laurel Canyon, bummed, and thinking about Snake.

To be clear, I love being a part of the world of Metal Gear. I admire its technological innovations, the gameplay, the political message of it all. But primarily, I love the fans of these games. Two grown men burst into tears upon meeting me at the Vancouver Fan Expo last year.

Now that... Is a rare and excellent role. You know you’re making an impact.

And I love doing it.

In 1998, I tried to do come up with a voice which epitomized the kind of worn, put-upon, genetically-engineered clone-soldier that I saw Snake to be. Over time, as the games became more stunning and visually sophisticated, I tried to transition that initial voice into the increasingly real environments in which Snake found himself. My level of success is up to you, but any perceived deficiencies were not for lack of hard work. I have dedicated a huge amount of time and effort into creating a compelling character, capable of expressing the myriad emotional, physical and psychological hurdles that Snake has to face.

Anyway, now it’s been fifteen years, nine games, and an enormous blast to undertake.

If it were my choice, I would do this role forever. To hear anyone else’s voice coming from Snake’s battered throat, makes me a little ill, to be honest.

But the truth is -- it’s not my choice. Any and all casting decisions are the sole purview of Hideo Kojima, and Konami itself. And that’s fair.

And I’ll get by. I am not lacking for employment on any level.

But I didn’t want anybody to think that I was intentionally abandoning them.

And know that I will miss this job, and this character, very much.

My best wishes to you all,

David Hayter

April 1, 2013

That really settles that then. Sad. He is one of the most iconic and recognizable voices in gaming. Snake wont sound like snake without him.

SJRB

Gold Member
I don't like how this situation is unfolding, the way Hayter is being treated casts a shadow over MGSV.

Because in the end, Hayter IS Snake, wether you like it or not. Surely there must be something else going on. There has to be.

Erdrick

I'm aware that this is April 1st, but I don't think this is some joke, sadly... Wish it was. With Hayter not involved, the series will never be the same for me now. =(

rvy

Banned
I don't like how this situation is unfolding, the way Hayter is being treated casts a shadow over MGSV.

Because in the end, Hayter IS Snake, wether you like it or not. Surely there must be something else going on. There has to be.

But then again this isn't Snake, they should have just used a different VA for Big Boss starting with Snake Eater.

So,

So, I got in touch with someone involved in the production. We got together for lunch, and he told me that they "wouldn’t be needing me" on this game. No reason, or explanation was given beyond that.

So he was told that he wouldn't be needed.

And then he goes on the Twitter guilt trip... Stay classy Hayter.

Salaadin

Its weird to me that he would post this on twitter (where the date would be posted automatically) and he still included the date on the bottom.

That said, I still think hes really gone. And it makes me so sad :(

BibiMaghoo

Hmmm.

I think this would be taking it to far if it was just a joke.

That means he really is gone.

or...they want us to believe.....yes...I see now....

Top Bottom