• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe: "The next generation of hardware will be the last consoles."

Eventually, video games will go the way of the board game. Everyone owns these 20 or so games...and that's about it. We'll be hopelessly addicted to the next thing that kids can't stop playing with. But if not, things are going to be getting quite cozy very soon for gaming on all spectrums, and not the good cozy. Companies and technologies are going to be butting against themselves and violently.

And people saying this and that about consoles and then saying pc gaming is forever are completely short-sighted and aren't even paying any attention to their beloved weapon-of-choice right now, as we speak. When the other functions of a pc become more and more underutilized, so does your pc as a gaming device. The Ipad and its ilk "threatens" pc gaming as much as it threatens Nintendo because they're both being squeezed like middle-men in between two fattening, homogenizing giants: The Giant of the Mega-Accessible Be-all-End-All (the mega-cheap, mega-functional, does-it-all device of the future) and the Giant of the Do-Everthing Entertainment Hub (like the TV of the future that Jaffe mentioned). A 2 tech future. No console. No PC. Nothing much. Everything else gone the way of the pager.

These two pretty much inevitable giants will bring (and are already bringing) all the elders of gaming together into one corner of the room. One desperate corner. Be it MS, Sony, Nintendo and PC, cell phone companies, even Apple if they were to lose control of their experiment. A giant bloodbath. Just look at Windows 8. Their intent, to me at least, is about as transparent as it gets.

The fight for the living room will become the fight for everywhere. That includes your office, bedroom, outside, etc. And when one consolidates, there's less space to spread out and make a space for yourself as a company. Things are going to have to move and not willfully I'd imagine.

params7

Banned
So what is it going to be replaced by? Wifi TV Cloud gaming?

In that case all the competitive gaming will move back to PC because of the pings?

So what is it going to be replaced by? Wifi TV Cloud gaming?

In that case all the competitive gaming will move back to PC because of the pings?

I think you'll buy a generic gaming device and then subscribe to services such as PSN. You'll then download your games as is now. I'm not sure I see Cloud Gaming replacing things but I can certainly see a "standard" console becoming the norm.

Think of it like Android, many devices but all have a minimum spec and common feature set thus ensuring compatibility. So you might buy your "console" from Sony, MS, Ninty, Panasonic, etc but you subscribe to various game channels (PSN, XBL, Steam, etc) and download your content.

It was attempted to a degree with MSX computers in the 80's. In the 90's it was tried with 3DO.

Things are different now and I think it will have a better chance by the time the gen after next gen comes round. Android shows it can work with phones, so why not consoles?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's funny how many people think we're going to be streaming EVERYTHING in the next 10 years. As if the Internet for the entire planet is suddenly going to be 10 times better in a decade.

It's because some people have a finacnical interest in this happening. The average gamer is not going to be in a position to play a game that looks better than this..........

Star-Wars-1313.png

while streaming over the TV's or setup box. If so the cost will eliminate too many people.

mckmas8808

With Wii @ 90+ Mil sales PS3 & 360 @ 70+, it's kinda hard to swallow
it's not like the Sega & Nintendo era where it was only at 30/40mil, Consoles sales haven't declined in the last decade, they've increased
So those people aren't gonna just stop buying Consoles.
or is this one of those stupid iPAD is gonna take over things?

It is just an Apple thing. So many tech heads assume that Apple will control and run everything and that everything they do is the best.

I'm still not convinced that dedicated handheld gaming is dead, like so many of Gaf say these days.

It is just an Apple thing. So many tech heads assume that Apple will control and run everything and that everything they do is the best.

I'm still not convinced that dedicated handheld gaming is dead, like so many of Gaf say these days.

The thing is, we've seen a shift this generation. It used to be a console would appeal to everyone from core to casual. Casuals are shifting away from that and moving towards other sources such as iOS, and social games. Because there are other avenues now, these people no longer need a dedicated console to play some games. The result of that is a shrinking dedicated console base moving forward. With rising costs and a shrinking base, that spells for disaster.

J-Rod

I sort of believe that the future will be streaming, but I just have doubts our network infrastructure will be sufficient any time soon, even in ten years.

People have to consider that not only do we need enough to stream a game for little billy on his Xbox 1440, but it also needs to be able to stream an HD netflix movie for his big sister in her room, video skype on mom's ipad, remote desktop for dad in his home office, hulu for grandma, and so on and so forth all at the same time. And this level of service needs to be more ubiquitous than the capped, lower level of service we have now. I feel like some forecasters, particularly Pachter, do not take this into account.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Eventually, video games will go the way of the board game. Everyone owns these 20 or so games...and that's about it. We'll be hopelessly addicted to the next thing that kids can't stop playing with. But if not, things are going to be getting quite cozy very soon for gaming on all spectrums, and not the good cozy. Companies and technologies are going to be butting against themselves and violently.

And people saying this and that about consoles and then saying pc gaming is forever are completely short-sighted and aren't even paying any attention to their beloved weapon-of-choice right now, as we speak. When the other functions of a pc become more and more underutilized, so does your pc as a gaming device. The Ipad and its ilk "threatens" pc gaming as much as it threatens Nintendo because they're both being squeezed like middle-men in between two fattening, homogenizing giants: The Giant of the Mega-Accessible Be-all-End-All (the mega-cheap, mega-functional, does-it-all device of the future) and the Giant of the Do-Everthing Entertainment Hub (like the TV of the future that Jaffe mentioned). A 2 tech future. No console. No PC. Nothing much. Everything else gone the way of the pager.

These two pretty much inevitable giants will bring (and are already bringing) all the elders of gaming together into one corner of the room. One desperate corner. Be it MS, Sony, Nintendo and PC, cell phone companies, even Apple if they were to lose control of their experiment. A giant bloodbath. Just look at Windows 8. Their intent, to me at least, is about as transparent as it gets.

The fight for the living room will become the fight for everywhere. That includes your office, bedroom, outside, etc. And when one consolidates, there's less space to spread out and make a space for yourself as a company. Things are going to have to move and not willfully I'd imagine.

As scary as it sounds, you make an excellent point and I agree 100% with your post.

mckmas8808

The thing is, we've seen a shift this generation. It used to be a console would appeal to everyone from core to casual. Casuals are shifting away from that and moving towards other sources such as iOS, and social games. Because there are other avenues now, these people no longer need a dedicated console to play some games. The result of that is a shrinking dedicated console base moving forward. With rising costs and a shrinking base, that spells for disaster.

When did the shrinking start? The PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 sold more this generation than any other generation ever.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
If this were true OnLive would've taken off a lot stronger than it did.

And if the hardware exists anyway, why not just have it at your house than pay a subscription to rent a console somewhere else? You have to rely on internet and the service being up 100% for it to work, I can't imagine it in the world we live in. I can't see internet providers being OK with that when they're already shitting their pants over netflix.

mckmas8808

If this were true OnLive would've taken off a lot stronger than it did.

And if the hardware exists anyway, why not just have it at your house than pay a subscription to rent a console somewhere else? You have to rely on internet and the service being up 100% for it to work, I can't imagine it in the world we live in. I can't see internet providers being OK with that when they're already shitting their pants over netflix.

And imagine what ISPs would say if they had to support broadband usage of Netflix users, PS5, and Xbox 4 gamers streaming games all at the same time in the same house.

Just how much data would I rip through a month if I wanted to play a 40 hour RPG on my PS5?

yurinka

I agee with Jaffe, if after the next gen we have good internet speed worldwide at home enough to make systems like Onlive or Gaikai, in addition to similar ones from Sony, MS, and maybe Apple or Valve to work properly everywhere.

Using DS4 or X720 gamepads in TVs, computers, phones or tablets and streaming this service through wifi (or if the speed+latency is good enough, with 5G).

Gilgamesh

My Internet doesn't even stream Netflix in HD consistently, no fucking way am I going to be streaming a playable video game.

Awesome. I can't see any way that being limited to only streaming games, stored on a server, that you don't actually own in any real sense, could possibly go wrong.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
And imagine what ISPs would say if they had to support broadband usage of Netflix users, PS5, and Xbox 4 gamers streaming games all at the same time in the same house.
Imagine what retailers would have said 10 years ago if you said they'd be selling a 40" flat screen HDTV for under $300.

Imagine what PC makers would say if you told them included hard drives would be in the range of multiple terabytes now.

Imagine what anyone would say if you told them Apple would sell 365 million of anything. And that most of these items would be phones.

Christ man, 10 years ago, a 256MB SD card was cutting edge shit and cost $200. Now you can pick up an 8GB SD card for pocket change.

10 years is a goddamn eon in the tech sector. Mountains form, seas dry up, entire continents shift.

troof.

My Internet doesn't even stream Netflix in HD consistently, no fucking way am I going to be streaming a playable video game.

Can we agree game consoles drove HDTV adoption?

Perhaps the same will happen with broadband. Companies will see an emerging, lucrative market and work to take advantge of and provide for streaming gaming.

Or you just get a crappy video and deal with it. Or not and turn Casual gamer like a normal person.

Averon

I don't know if the WiiU/XB3/PS4 will be the last consoles. However, I do believe that the generation after the next generation (PS5/Wii U 2/XB4) will be unrecognizable from how we currently see home consoles.

mckmas8808

Imagine what retailers would have said 10 years ago if you said they'd be selling a 40" flat screen HDTV for under $300.

Imagine what PC makers would say if you told them included hard drives would be in the range of multiple terabytes now.

Imagine what anyone would say if you told them Apple would sell 365 million of anything. And that most of these items would be phones.

Christ man, 10 years ago, a 256MB SD card was cutting edge shit and cost $200. Now you can pick up an 8GB SD card for pocket change.

10 years is a goddamn eon in the tech sector. Mountains form, seas dry up, entire continents shift.

Shig, serious getting HDTV and HDD prices lower is ALOT different that building a world broadband infrastructure that can cost a little amount of money for the consumer, while the ISPs making millions building and supporting it.

The serious truth is only governments can spend the amount of money to build an infrastructure that's needed for streaming only consoles in 2020.

Man leaves industry, makes browser shit, predicts console death.

Sounds legit.

Man I love Jaffe, but seriously this is what it comes to. Dude has to sorta shit on the theory of consoles for his personal gain. I'm not trying to say that Jaffe is lying about his true feelings, but lets be real here. Console sales are out of this roof and here we have Jaffe calling for their demise.

Console sales are out of this roof and here we have Jaffe calling for their demise.

Are we ignoring how many developers have fallen in the last few years? How many publishers? How the mid tier gaming market has collapsed? How sales have been down the last two years?

entremet

Are we ignoring how many developers have fallen in the last few years? How many publishers? How the mid tier gaming market has collapsed? How sales have been down the last two years?
Don't you think the industry's over reliance on AAA gaming budgets has done this to itself.

TwiztidElf

I agree completely with this, although I will say the board game industry has definitely been disrupted recently with amazingly designed Euros like Dominion and Ticket to Ride. Not sure why Hasbro has been caught out and not bought them all out yet. I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Yeah, quite a bit more than any gen before it. So, obviously, consoles will be dead in 10 years.

Ya, and how many of those people were people who were first time buyers and bought a Wii? Where are those people now? The Wii dropped off a cliff not only in sales of consoles, but software as well. Those people moved on to other things and it's silly to assume they'll be back.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Man leaves industry, makes browser shit, predicts console death.

Sounds legit.

Forum poster with zero reading comprehension skills tries to be funny and/or insightful, instead comes off like an ignorant jerk.

Sounds like the internet.

AKA:

- I've not left the industry
-I don't plan on making shitty browser games, thanks. Open your mind, man. Unless you are only about bleeding edge graphics, to claim that a game running in a browser window has to be shitty is just foolish.
-I don't care about hardware. I'm a gamer so I care about GAMES. Big console style games are not and should not go anywhere and not only did I NOT claim that they would, but I made it clear that with streaming MORE PEOPLE will be able to play the big console titles than ever before.

David

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Shig, serious getting HDTV and HDD prices lower is ALOT different that building a world broadband infrastructure that can cost a little amount of money for the consumer, while the ISPs making millions building and supporting it.

The serious truth is only governments can spend the amount of money to build an infrastructure that's needed for streaming only consoles in 2020.

Man I love Jaffe, but seriously this is what it comes to. Dude has to sorta shit on the theory of consoles for his personal gain. I'm not trying to say that Jaffe is lying about his true feelings, but lets be real here. Console sales are out of this roof and here we have Jaffe calling for their demise.

Dude- ya'll are so fucking knee-jerky. I'm not 'calling' for ANYTHING. I don't CARE if consoles live or die. I really don't care one way or another. They are HARDWARE- what the fuck do I care what I run my games on?!?

Yes, my NEXT game is a browser game (probably, if we can get it running in a browser...if it ends up being too ambitious for that, it'll be a game you download first). But damn, stop seeing conspiracy everywhere. Man, the work I do may or may not be your cup of tea, but haven't I earned enough credit in the damn bank that ya'll know I'm not going to say something I don't think is true? I mean, do you really think that I think what I say to a web site is going to make folks stop buying consoles and so that will benefit me and my next-game plans?

Plus, I may even come BACK to make a console game one day (assuming they are still around).

I don't hate consoles and don't want them to go away. Read the article- guy presses me for my prediction and I say 'I am terrible at predictions and I'm wrong about all of this stuff but this is what I think based on what I've been seeing around the industry'. If that sounds like I'm calling for the demise of the console, I dunno what to tell you sir, other than please try to read the article you are commenting on before you comment on it? Please?!? Just for me?!? :)

David

Dude- ya'll are so fucking knee-jerky. I'm not 'calling' for ANYTHING. I don't CARE if consoles live or die. I really don't care one way or another. They are HARDWARE- what the fuck do I care what I run my games on?!?

Yes, my NEXT game is a browser game (probably, if we can get it running in a browser...if it ends up being too ambitious for that, it'll be a game you download first). But damn, stop seeing conspiracy everywhere. Man, the work I do may or may not be your cup of tea, but haven't I earned enough credit in the damn bank that ya'll know I'm not going to say something I don't think is true? I mean, do you really think that I think what I say to a web site is going to make folks stop buying consoles and so that will benefit me and my next-game plans?

Plus, I may even come BACK to make a console game one day (assuming they are still around).

I don't hate consoles and don't want them to go away. Read the article- guy presses me for my prediction and I say 'I am terrible at predictions and I'm wrong about all of this stuff but this is what I think based on what I've been seeing around the industry'. If that sounds like I'm calling for the demise of the console, I dunno what to tell you sir, other than please try to read the article you are commenting on before you comment on it? Please?!? Just for me?!? :)

David

come back and make another twisted metal bruh :(

mooreupp

I could definitely see this. I don't think strictly through the TVs, but I can see the hardware becoming more like VCRs or DVD players.

Imagine this, the market continues to decline and the room for the 3 big companies dwindles. Two of the companies are barely staying above water while the 3rd's new console is clearly dying Vita style. The company facing a 90s Sega situation will have to consider its options and in desperation, I could see an IMB type move to open their format up. Any other company can make a system that will play its games with only a small rights fee. The control over the game developers is also reduced to the role Sony has over Blu Ray developers.

Give whatever system that is a few years and everyone will be jumping to it as the cheapest way in.

David
People dont read your point but prefer to post nonsense. I agree that the dedicated box is going away. Theres no more use for it. Go to Best Buy and see the 'smart' TVs. Those will be our future video game 'consoles'. Same with the tablets, phones. Doesnt mean games like God of War, Halo, Mario, Zelda, and Uncharted are leaving, just the hardware we will be playing them from will be different. Unfortunately, many on GAF and elsewhere are terrified pf change.

FyreWulff

People dont read your point but prefer to post nonsense. I agree that the dedicated box is going away. Theres no more use for it. Go to Best Buy and see the 'smart' TVs. Those will be our future video game 'consoles'. Same with the tablets, phones. Doesnt mean games like God of War, Halo, Mario, Zelda, and Uncharted are leaving, just the hardware we will be playing them from will be different. Unfortunately, many on GAF and elsewhere are terrified pf change.

I still hope for the standardized console future, but man, people are against it.. but at the same time, they don't want MS and Sony to be out of lockstep with each other.

A PC isn't a particular form factor or anything, even tablets might technically be called PCs. Traditional PC gaming only cares about two things- the platform being open (and there are open tablets) and having a keyboard/mouse available. Even that isn't set, at one point joysticks were standard PC gaming equipment too.

As for KB/mouse, as long as keyboards are the best and most efficient way to type in words, as they have been for over a century and a half, and people need/want to type in words, traditional PCs will be around. Have you tried doing serious work on a tablet? It's fucking terrible, unless its work of a very specific and niche kind. Even taking notes in class on a tablet blows, though people too attached to their trendy iPads try mightily to make it work. Even voice recognition isn't the wave of the future for office or class work; you're not going to have 40 people in an office dictating their work over each other.

A traditional PC for the purposes of gaming is literally just, do you have a computer with a general-purpose open OS that you can sit down at a desk with. That happens to be exactly what people need for work.

You can make a case for the home desktop PC going away, except it already has. Only gamers and people with legacy desktops use it anymore. But laptops? Don't think so. In fact, the wave of the future might be tablet PCs that seamlessly turn into laptops by attaching to a custom fit KB with touchpad.

You could make the case that dedicated hardware for gaming will be so scarce that hardware-intensive titles for the PC won't have a big enough market. Except that's already the case too, and the PC mostly gets console ports for that stuff. The things that are exclusive to PC tend to be fairly light on requiring gaming hardware, like League of Legends or Blizzard games or even many MMOs. Let alone browser/facebook stuff.

A 2 tech future.
A 2 tech future for entertainment. The PC has always been primarily a work device.

Now after 50, 60 years out all bets are off. But no one is talking about that time frame.

Endo Punk

What about 'smart consoles'? They already do pretty much everything now so I don't see why consoles will disappear 10 years from now when surely they will offer much much more than just gaming.

sam27368

Banned
No way that's gonna happen. TVs thatll stream games? Come on. How many people upgrade their TV regularly like they do consoles? No one i know of. It might evolve more into a hybrid of a PC and a console combined though. By that i mean kind of like windows launching a windows 8 machine instead of an OS and a console separately. Kinda like mac do now and you'll put it next to your TV and itll be small and pretty. The console and PC spaces are very different now, but i think youll see them "combine" more and more as time goes on. This will blur the line completely. Where as now, a pc is in the office and the console is in the living room, soon both will be combined and it wont matter where you have it. But there will still be a "console" per say. I also expect Sony and maybe even MS to partner up with someone else to do it.

You wouldn't update your TV if it's streamed *facepalm*

AzaK

But what sort of experience will we get?

Various manufacturers doing their own thing in order to control the market, resulting in a more fragmented game environment? Your Apple, Samsung, Sony etc TVs only works with their brand of tablets and phones? TVs have a bigger lifespan than console generations for most people so do we end up with people being stuck with one provider for 10 years just because they chose a particular TV brand?

Quality of graphics going down due to high demand and the need to control bandwidth? I know advocates of the tech say you never have to upgrade your console again and your graphics get better, but they could just go the other way too. Instead of consumers buying hardware the provider needs to keep adding hardware to deal with load and upgrades. Will they really do this, or take the more cost effective route of dropping our bitrate?

What about companies like Nintendo that don't just add more power and keep the same controller? Innovation in that space would die. If you decided to add a new peripheral like the Wii U GamePad would you get enough penetration to get developers making shit for it when they can hit the same market without that extra work?

Places outside of America (and Korea I guess) do not have the type of broadband to handle gaming like that. Are we just going to have no gaming anymore in some parts of he country?

I just can't see, in any possible reality that this happens on a globl scale in the next 15-20 years if ever. And if it does, I think gaming will suffer.

Dalauz

LOL at pc.

Maybe the hardcore but I'm starting to regret my pc that i built a few years ago for gaming.

I took down my computer desk. moved the pc to next to the tv. Its just really an itunes server now, with some gaming. Some people are married to their xbl achievements, I'm married to my trophies and PS games. I even prefer hulu plus/netflix/amazon video on my ps3 over my pc.

What would I do for everything else?(surfing, forums etc).

iPad on a stand with a bluetooth keyboard.

Post PC world baby

You are like my NEMESIS or something like that man

mckmas8808

Okay so the industry will have to change and adapt to the changing market. Maybe everyone shouldn't be making $60 AAA games. I think due to the power of the next gen consoles graphics will be good enough that you can make smaller\indie type games that provide completely different styles of game play, while still satisfying millions of people with their visuals.

With middle ware engines like UE4 and Crytek shouldn't they make game creation slightly cheaper?

David

It's good to hear that you might come back to making console games in the future. And I wasn't trying to say that you were lying, but a guy like myself has to think twice when a person in your position switches focus on the type of games that he makes and then says something like this.

I heard you on the Giantbomb E3 podcast the other day and you were really really pushing the benefits of browser gaming and general and crapping on console gaming. You were saying stuff like it's so much work to get off the couch, put in the disc, go through the XMB, start the game, and then watch the legal stuff pop up on the TV.

And to me none of that stuff seems like a big deal, but you made it seem like it was extra tough and too long to play console games. And you were making it seem like it was so much easier just to jump on your computer and play a browser game. To me it sounded like you were selling me and the audience on the difference between the two (browser and console gaming) and this article reminded me of that.

So will these TVs be streaming games from a server? If so which one? What company will be providing these games? Will I have to pay a monthly fee for this service? Will my ISP be offering unlimited amounts of data in order to due this? Are will ISPs offer a gaming "Package" that's an extra $20 a month?

And what if I don't have that extra money per month to spend? What if I move and it takes me close to a month to get the internet turned on? Will I not be able to play my games for a month? And if it's an American company that Microsoft or Sony cuts a deal with, will that mean that they will have to cut different deals with international companies in Europe and Asia? What about poorer countries that aren't 1st world, but not 3rd world that don't have the infrastructure for streaming only systems but do have the money to buy consoles in 2020? Will they all just buy the available Nintendo console? Because we all know Nintendo won't do something as stupid as this.

Do you not see how streaming only gaming consoles in 2020 will be a shitting thing to provide? Why not at least make it an option and put it "INSIDE THE CONSOLE"!

wcw

Neo Member

David

Jaffe I am a huge fan and I hope you go back to making games for consoles, I have never been a fan of free to play games for whatever reason but I will check your game out as you tend to make games I like.

But I think 10 years is a little optimistic for your prediction. Too few people have access to high speed internet and too few ISP's can support that type of data usage. But in 20 years? I think that prediction is more accurate for 20-25 years than for 10.

In the short term consoles are here to stay, just too many issues with data usage and access to broadband for it to work in just 10 years. But I am excited to see the idea of no longer needing to buy a box to play my games as a consumer it will save me shitloads.

Also I hope you do go back to making console games, I can't get enough Twisted Metal and I hope you come back to that franchise.

Top Bottom