• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe Thinks Sony Should Sue Over Game And Movie Titles

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
So, developer posts some thoughts on his blog. Is a little pissed his works might be slitghtly used by other people, understandable. Someone decides to post it on GAF expecting some drama and 6+ pages, Gaffers proceed by taking it way too serious and calling the developer names.

Got it, so what else is new?

Haunted

Jaffe is awesome. A likable guy. But this... this seems like a strangely naïve thing to say. :)

beelzebozo said:
good thing HOMELAND didn't get made

". . . and now THEY'RE making a game about a war! coincidence? :)"
:lol

Flavius

Teetris said:
So, developer posts some thoughts on his blog. Is a little pissed his works might be slitghtly used by other people, understandable. Someone decides to post it on GAF expecting some drama and 6+ pages, Gaffers proceed by taking it way too serious and calling the developer names.

Sounds about right.

Jaffe's a big boy. He can take it, so I'm making my exit from this thread. But before I do, if you haven't bothered to take a look at Scrap Metal yet, have a look at this. And if you've never had the pleasure of playing Twisted Metal, run a search for some videos and compare the two. May change your perspective a bit. ;)

Or fuck, it probably won't, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_nwbyE8UsI

Gravijah

PartlyCloudlike said:
Jaffe posts random thoughts, forum posters start pissing blood. He must get a kick out of this shit. :lol

Maybe all of this anger inside him will cause him to make the Twisted Metal reboot the best Twisted Metal reboot ever.

Flavius said:
Sounds about right.

Jaffe's a big boy. He can take it, so I'm making my exit from this thread. But before I do, if you haven't bothered to take a look at Scrap Metal yet, have a look at this. And if you've never had the pleasure of playing Twisted Metal, run a search for some videos and compare the two. May change your perspective a bit. ;)

Looks like a racing game with weapons.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
PartlyCloudlike said:
Jaffe posts random thoughts, forum posters start pissing blood. He must get a kick out of this shit. :lol

man stops on sidewalk, shits in hand, rubs all over face. people stop and say, "why is this man rubbing feces all over his face?" lol

Apath

Don't understand the people saying he needs to shut up when he's just posting his own thoughts on his own blog.

Slavik81

Flavius said:
Read the fucking OP (and the link) before you post.

He isn't talking about litigation (despite the title) as much as he's talking about defending IP rights.

Last time I checked, a letter is a letter...not a lawsuit.
If you send a letter, you must be prepared for a lawsuit. A person who's received a cease and desist letter can file for a declaratory judgement in their own jurisdiction.

I think there's also laws about sending spurious letters that you don't actually intend to act upon. If I recall, they could sue if you send a notice and never bother to act when they ignore it.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I really hate this fuck. (Check it out Jaffe, I can swear too!) It's because of him, even though he didn't work on it, I refused to buy God of War 2 until it hit $20. Same will be true for GoW3. Shut your god damn mouth, Jaffe.

Loudninja

Teetris said:

Yep same as always.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
OldJadedGamer said:
Sega sued FOX over Simpsons Road Rage game since it was identical to Crazy Taxi and that went no where fast.

Didn't Sega win?

I know Sega owns the right to have an Arrow pointing to your next destination in videogames & no one else can use it without their approval.

Omg, aren't you people overrecating a bit? It's his blog and he can rant all he want. I don't think it sounds like he really expects anybody to sue anyone.

Lambtron said:
Man, I really hate this fuck. (Check it out Jaffe, I can swear too!) It's because of him, even though he didn't work on it, I refused to buy God of War 2 until it hit $20. Same will be true for GoW3. Shut your god damn mouth, Jaffe.
<--I'm talking about ridiculous stuff like this. Wow. :lol I think he seems like a cool guy, not some saint just because he's a developer. What are you expecting? Get real!

Lambtron said:

Were you not hugged as a child?

Flavius said:
Sounds about right.

Hunh, from the way everyone was talking, I was expecting Scrap Metal to actually be a Twisted Metal clone. It looks more like Rock 'n' Roll Racing in a closed arena than Twisted Metal.

At any rate, David just seems to be joining in on the great American past-time, which is surprising only in that he didn't seem like that kind of dude.

Cruzader

Banned
Lambtron said:
:lol :lol

Jaffe didnt work on GOW2/3...

More like "Hey guys im cool and its the cool thing to hate on a developers, fuck yea!"

199248_28087_front.jpg

Midway would like to have a word with somebody.

Gestahl

Cruzader said:
:lol :lol

Jaffe didnt work on GOW2/3...

More like "Hey guys im cool and its the cool thing to hate on a developers, fuck yea!"

No shit, I think people picked up on the not working on GOW2 part when he mentioned it in his post.

NeoUltima

Lambtron said:
what the hell

TheFallen

Lambtron said:
Way to go! You're sticking it to the man!
You don't make any sense.

Grooski

Banned
Lambtron said:

Seriously, fucktard alerts going off everywhere at the moment.

tmarques

In all fairness, War of the Gods was very possibly inspired by the success of God of War, just like Dead Rising was clearly inspired by Dawn of the Dead. Still, the concept is too generic.

He's just bitter he didn't pitch the idea for a movie himself.

Flavius

Slavik81 said:
If you send a letter, you must be prepared for a lawsuit. A person who's received a cease and desist letter can file for a declaratory judgement in their own jurisdiction.

I think there's also laws about sending spurious letters that you don't actually intend to act upon. If I recall, they could sue if you send a notice and never bother to act when they ignore it.

Law student?

Don't practice, but I received my J.D. about a decade ago.

Last time I checked, you can send a cease and desist and not be forced to go to court. Not sure how doing so would violate any procedural rules. You're also introducing a bit of a straw man in that last sentence. I'm not talking about shitting out a letter to scare the pants off someone. I'm talking about a potential cause of action well grounded in the facts and the law.

Regardless, we're splitting hairs here...and you've made a lawyer...er, liar...out of me by eliciting another response.

Now I'm out. ;)

Gravijah

Mother fuck. This is Twisted Metal viral marketing, isn't it?

Flavius said:
Law student?

Don't practice, but I received my J.D. about a decade ago.

Last time I checked, you can send a cease and desist and not be forced to go to court. Not sure how doing so would violate any procedural rules. You're also introducing a bit of a straw man in that last sentence. I'm not talking about shitting out a letter to scare the pants off someone. I'm talking about a suit well grounded in the facts and the law.

Regardless, we're splitting hairs here...and you've made a lawyer...er, liar...out of me by eliciting another response.

Now I'm out. ;)

No wonder GAF is always so full of shit, it's filled with lawyers.

tmarques said:
In all fairness, War of the Gods was very possibly inspired by the success of God of War, just like Dead Rising was clearly inspired by Dawn of the Dead. Still, the concept is too generic.

He's just bitter he didn't pitch the idea for a movie himself.
It's possible, but I think it's far more likely that it drew its inspiration from the same place God of War did. It's not like Greek mythology are obscure, rarely-sourced works.

Gravijah

Segata Sanshiro said:
It's possible, but I think it's far more likely that it drew its inspiration from the same place God of War did. It's not like Greek mythology are obscure, rarely-sourced works.

Hell, could someone make a game called God of War?

test_account

XP-39C²
I am not really sure what i feel about this matter. If 2 things (either a game or a movie) have similar names and similar content (like for example the God of War/War of the Gods example that David Jaffe mentioned), then i can understand why and if Sony wants to protect the "God of War" name. I guess that Sony doesnt want people to confuse God of War with something else, even if it is a movie, but that is jut my guess. I dont know if it is worth suing over this though and i dont really know where the line goes for what is ok and not ok when it comes to similar names. I mean, both "God of War" and "War of the Gods" has similarities in their names, but are the similarities big enough to sue over it? I dont know.

I understand Mr Jaffe's point, and I agree that products of similar concept to an existing property, which use key words already associated with that property, is a morally questionable activity that should be examined by copyright legislators.

However, it already has been, and there are already legal precedents set that make this kind of "borrowing" from an existing property legally acceptable.

So, sorry if you don't like it, (I don't) but we all have to live with it. The alternative would be far worse than this current situation.

FlightOfHeaven said:
The fuck?

hey, did you know that there's a drink called Monster? monster cable should sue them

Monster Cable already sued a mini-golf business for this reasoning. I wouldn't put it past them. :lol

Top Bottom