• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone - alternate path gameplay | E3 2017

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Both last year and this year the alternate demos were much more interesting than the dull stage demos.

Also the game needs some motion blur. The animation gaps and stiffness are clear with the camera angles they use.

Game looks amazing. the depth of their emergent gameplay combined with the horde tech and the visuals has me pretty excited. Not a big fan of bikers but the other things outweigh it

Loudninja

One of the biggest things to note is the Time of Day and Weather systems that Bend has implemented, as it turns out, these things make how you play out a particular scenario much different. During presentations this week we saw the same segments played a few times and it was clear that things were vastly different just due to the weather. For example, rain can dampen sound, Snow can make visibility issues, and Freakers are stronger in the snow and usually are in greater numbers. Time of day also drives the density of the horde and as everything in the High Desert of Oregon follows a realistic ecosystem, the various creatures also follow what would be considered normal patterns when it comes to looking for prey/food, etc.
These two systems help create dynamic events, where there is no way to predict what can happen, comparing experiences with friends will be different based on what's happened in your particular story versus theirs. Bend has likened Days Gone to as ”brutal test of survival", where only very few of the encounters are scripted and anything can happen. Let a Runner chase you too long? He might knock you off your motorcycle. Even sound can be dangerous: make the wrong kind of sound and you can have humans, creatures, or the horde after you, or make a strategically placed sound and you could have the horde take out enemies for you.

Play it how you want, and the game will respond to your play style, but remember, when in doubt: Run. Your chances of surviving a horde fight without a massive amount of stamina and weaponry is very, very slim.
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2017/0...-apocalyptic-high-desert-in-days-gone/261671/

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
You could kind of tell it had a dynamic thing going on just due to the gate part.

Now I know when I play I will be looking to use the zombies as weapons when I can. And looks like it will be alot of avoiding, sneaking, hiding going on.

Looks decent but a smarter AI would make this game a hundred times better. I think I might just be jaded with these open-world tropes now:

Enemy tagging
Junk crafting (although a system akin to Project Zomboid would be brilliant and appropriate for this game)
Detective/see-through vision

How are you supposed to build a survival sense of dread when the AI is bad and you can tag enemies to see where they are at all times? Hope higher difficulties make a big difference with item scarcity etc. as well.

Hopefully you can turn the vision and tagging off.

Just started playing Metal Gear V, and not tagging enemies is alot more intense.
Same for not using the vision in TLoU.

Loudninja

This is cool:
Looking closely at the newest gameplay we can confirm a few game mechanics. The first is Deacon's bike as an expanded storage bank as well as a transportation system. You will only be able to carry limited weapons and supplies as you tackle obstacles but you can store equipment in your bike and outfit yourself in between encounters.
Between the two demos, we have seen axes, bats, pipes, glass bottles, Molotov cocktails, beartraps, explosives, makeshift silencers, and a range of guns. The game encourages sandbox combat where challenges and objectives can be approached multiple ways. Day's Gone will also feature a real-time crafting system. Players can create traps and weapons as they play without breaking the flow of the gameplay.
https://dvsgaming.org/e3-2017-days-gone/

In the middle of scavenging for items, imagine if we are swarmed by the zombies. How do we survive the encounter?

I find all of this fascinating and Days Gone is my most anticipated game after God of War.

JOKERACN7

Still have no idea what's the challenge in this game, stealth is bare bones and watered down, he throws a rock and the brain-dead AI acts in the worst possible way, making it convenient for the player to pass the encounter with no sense of tension at all, and hand to hand combat is so simple and enemies don't even put up a fight

Loudninja

“Depending on what region of the world you’re in and whether it’s raining, snowing or sunny – that’s going to impact what goes on in the world around you, how the bike handles, and the creatures you encounter”, Geoff explains, while scavenging the hapless attackers’ tripwire and weapons.

“As you move through the world, things change all the time. With the clothesline ambush, that isn’t scripted – you won’t always find those guys there waiting to ambush you. There might be nothing there, there might be a different event waiting to happen, or you might get jumped by them in a different way, in a different place.”

“Freakers will kill anything that moves, or at least will try to, so if you find them in the same area as humans, you can definitely use that to your advantage” says Geoff. “There’s a lot of variation in what you could find in different areas and it’s fun to play around with the combinations.”
“Deacon takes the brotherhood and loyalty of a motorcycle club very seriously. It’s something he’ll risk his life for” explains Geoff. And as a result, his bike is a major part of the Days Gone experience.

“Deacon’s drifter bike is definitely not just for travel – we’re treating it as a character in itself. It’s special to Deacon, he’s crafted it over the two years that the world has changed and you’ll get to customise it and add upgrades. It’s his mobile inventory, so we’re fully integrating it into the game as much as possible”.
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...ythrough-of-the-days-gone-e3-demo/#sf89141779

Loudninja

still no direct clip of the alternate path? Just random bits during an interview?
They said in a few weeks btw
For those of you who can’t make it to E3, don’t worry: in the next few weeks we’ll be uploading that gameplay video as well. Be sure to compare the two demos to see how different the experience can be — based on choices you make and the dynamic, open-world threats you might encounter in Days Gone.
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/06/12/how-and-why-youll-fight-to-survive-in-days-gone/

I know ND is showing their behind close door stuff next week.

still no direct clip of the alternate path? Just random bits during an interview?

The only thing missing is the end cutscene. I think that says a lot for the game. There's only two things the same between the two; the meat wall scene and throwing the rock. Even though it's pretty much the same area, it plays out almost completely differently. Jeff didn't even need to attack that camp, but probably did so to show how different it can be.

Sleeper hit with long legs I hope

Needs good advertising this seems like it could be the best zombie action game in years and best narrative driven action one ever

Very impressed with the Dev team on this one

Twookie

looks pretty good, I like that weather actually has an effect on the gameplay and how characters react in the game. I'm pretty interested in the game now.

I don't really like the sounds in the game though, the gunshots sound tinny and don't react to the enviroment at all. Would like to see them use Guerilla's sound techinique used in Killzone: SF or something.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
This looks fantastic, really love the scale of the environments and the amount of enemies on screen.

Loudninja

looks pretty good, I like that weather actually has an effect on the gameplay and how characters react in the game. I'm pretty interested in the game now.

I don't really like the sounds in the game though, the gunshots sound tinny and don't react to the enviroment at all. Would like to see them use Guerilla's sound techinique used in Killzone: SF or something.
Cant really here much sound over all the talking :p

hairygreenpeas

Neo Member
Honestly, I have found the gameplay footage released so far relatively underwhelming for a seemingly ambitious games for the developers. But the more I read about what to expect (the weather, the incredible variety of weapons to use, combat mechanics, motorcycle improvements etc.), the more I'm warming up to it and actually finding myself looking forward to its eventual release. Its past showings may not have exactly excited me, but I seriously hope the game is as good as the developers are shaping it up to be. Sony may yet have another surprise hit in their hands!

Also, as a resident of the region, I'm absolutely loving the fact that Days Gone takes place in the Pacific Northwest. There is just something special about it lol.

Loudninja

The world itself is dark and devoid of hope, and according to the developers, everything is trying to kill you. What blew me away was that even though I saw the same demo twice, if I didn't know any better I would have sworn they were two different missions. It's this variety along with the post-apocalyptic world that makes this game so interesting. Depending on the time of day, weather, and route you choose to take, you will have completely different experiences.

There were some technical issues that reared their ugly head, but I have confidence they'll figure the small bugs out. It wasn't anything game breaking, of course; there were just a few animations that weren't as crisp. But the bottom line is that a game that everyone thought would just be another zombie horde killing simulator were completely wrong, including myself. This title has all the potential in the world. We have yet to even get a look at the RPG elements (probably allowing you to increase Deacon's survival skills) that the developers noted would eventually be discussed.

Days Gone was my biggest surprise of E3.
http://nerdist.com/days-gone-looks-like-a-dynamic-open-world-the-last-of-us/

Damn
The developers wanted to make it very clear that these dynamic junctures could happen at any point. That rope trap could be slung across any part of the road at any point in time during the game. The day and night cycle, the weather cycle, and placement of enemies both humans and freakers will change as the active and living world moves around you. The interactions between the group of bandits that had to kill one of their own are unscripted. Don't expect that every enemy who gets caught in a bear trap will be shot by one of their buddies. A swarm of elements will factor into how each and every moment of Days Gone plays out. Bend has even hinted that the freakers are not undead. They are infected that need to eat, drink, and sleep, and those types of things may end up also impacting the living world.
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/06/17/e3-2017-days-gone-preview-a-living-apocalypse-ps4/

bunkitz

Man, the game really sounds fantastic. It's almost not nearly as exciting to watch it because you might expect those things to be scripted and straightforward, but it's all apparently dynamic and all these things can happen anywhere at any time. Really cool.

Loudninja

Man, the game really sounds fantastic. It's almost not nearly as exciting to watch it because you might expect those things to be scripted and straightforward, but it's all apparently dynamic and all these things can happen anywhere at any time. Really cool.
Yeah sounds like pretty much everything world is dynamic.

Top Bottom